Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 4-0. This time against Falkirk. A breeze.

I liked the look of our defense. Crosas is top banana.

Nakamuru supplying great balls. Boruc slightly slimmer.

Our next two games are vitally important - Hearts then Aberdeen.

I feel that if we can get 6 points here, before the split, then we

will be in the driving seat for the remaining 5 games.

I miss Hartley. But I'm well impressed with O'Dea. Very cool and

calm for such a young lad.

Updated: April 10, 2009, 4:14 PM UK

Hearts striker Gary Glen is battling to feature against Celtic in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League meeting at Tynecastle.

The youngster suffered an ankle knock on reserve duty this week and is doubtful, but otherwise manager Csaba Laszlo has a number of selection options.

However, midfielder Laryea Kingston is unavailable because of a hamstring problem and is still two weeks away from training. Defender Jason Thomson (hamstring) also remains on the sidelines.

Hearts captain Robbie Neilson believes Csaba Laszlo's continental approach to management has been crucial to putting the club on the brink of a European place next season.

Neilson, the Jambos' longest-serving player, freely admits he knew little of Laszlo when the Romanian-born Hungarian arrived in Gorgie last summer from the Uganda national team.

But if Neilson, 28, and his colleagues initially had fears, they have been dispelled by the rapid progress their 45-year-old manager has achieved in uniting a previously dispirited dressing room.

After finishing in the bottom six of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League last season, Hearts have already secured a top-half berth this term and are seven points clear in third spot in the race for Europa League qualification.

Neilson feels Laszlo has changed the mentality of the squad by putting his varied coaching experiences - notably at Borussia Monchengladbach in Germany - to excellent use.

Laszlo was also assistant to Lothar Matthaus with the Hungary side, and also knocked Hearts out of the 2004 UEFA Cup with Ferencvaros before heading for Africa.

Neilson believes his knowledge has been seized upon by all at Hearts, putting them in confident mood for the meeting with the SPL leaders.

Ahead of the televised contest against Gordon Strachan's team, the right-back said: "Csaba's got an enthusiasm about him and he's got the respect of the dressing room as well.

"He comes in and we all listen to what he has to say; he's got some good points. He's very entertaining and enlightening as well.

"He always keeps everyone on their toes. I think he has united us all, brought us all driving together. He was unknown entity. I didn't know anything about him, apart from the game against Ferencvaros.

"But sometimes you need that at a club, a change. Everything has moved in a totally different direction; he's got his own ideas.

"He has changed everything in the academy as well, the way things are run. You judge it on results and, from that point of view, it's been successful.

"It's done in a more continental way; a lot of his work was in Germany and you can see that coming through in the sessions we do and the way everything is geared.''

Celtic have several fresh injury problems ahead of the clash.

Georgios Samaras is out with a thigh strain and Scott Brown, Darren O'Dea and Stephen McManus are all doubtful after picking up knocks during the 4-0 win over Falkirk on Wednesday.

Paul Hartley is fit to return from a hamstring injury but Shaun Maloney and John Kennedy are not ready despite resuming training.

Meanwhile, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink is desperate to secure a new contract with Celtic.

The Holland striker has doubled his goalscoring tally for the season in the last week with strikes against Hamilton and Falkirk.

He now wants to claim his fifth successive league championship medal after winning two each with PSV Eindhoven and Celtic.

The Dutchman, whose contract expires at the end of the campaign, has admitted a return to his former club would suit him at some stage in his career.

But he wants to extend his three-year stay in Glasgow before going back to the Netherlands.

The 30-year-old said: "I would love to be a Celtic player (next season). I have said it every time when I speak to people.

"Always people think, when you are from abroad, that maybe you want to return to your home country. But that's not on my mind right now.

"The main focus is winning the games, then the second thing is winning the championship and after that we will see what happens with my personal career.

"I want to be involved in this club because, if you play for champions every year, and play in the Champions League, and play in front of 60,000 people, I don't think you want to change that.''

1-1. And Hearts deserved it. We were mince.

Samaras wasn't missed (no surprise) but a decent front line was.

The opening 30 seconds of this match, and the last 5 minutes, are all

you need to see if you are a 'Tic fan and missed the game.

The referee should be allowed to handle the last Old Firm game this season.

I liked the way he let the game flow.

Boruc looked a wee bit heavier.

Aguiar grabs leveller for JambosScoring Summary

Updated: April 11, 2009, 2:53 PM UK

Celtic failed to build on their perfect start at Tynecastle as Bruno Aguiar's spectacular free-kick earned Hearts a 1-1 draw in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink took less than 30 seconds to continue his scoring spree when Janos Balogh fumbled his volley into the net.

But Aguiar curled home from 30 yards just after the half-hour mark and Celtic failed to reassert their control apart from a late flurry.

Hoops manager Gordon Strachan had made four changes, two of which were enforced as Lee Naylor and Vennegoor of Hesselink replaced the injured Darren O'Dea and Georgios Samaras.

Strachan also gave an indication of the threat posed Hearts by steeling his midfield with Gary Caldwell and Willo Flood, and dropping Shunsuke Nakamura and Marc Crosas to the bench. Glenn Loovens replaced Caldwell in central defence.

Celtic got off to an incredible start when Vennegoor of Hesselink volleyed home his third goal in eight days. And how the Dutchman must have wished for the goalkeeping that met his strike when he was going through his six-month barren spell.

Balogh got down two hands to the striker's volley but fumbled it into the corner.

Hearts had been sloppy throughout the build-up, allowing Andreas Hinkel to return the ball towards the penalty spot after an Aiden McGeady cross had only been half-cleared.

The hosts responded positively and forced a succession of corners, one of which led to Marius Zaliukas heading over from six yards after Ruben Palazuelos had lofted the ball in.

Stephen McManus was booked for bringing down Calum Elliot after the Hearts striker had beaten him midway inside Celtic's half, but the visitors soon settled down.

Caldwell released Vennegoor of Hesselink but the Dutchman fired beyond the far post from a difficult angle.

The Holland international then got his head to Naylor's near-post corner but the ball bounced off the outside of the goal frame.

Celtic were looking comfortable but Aguiar hit a spectacular equaliser in the 32nd minute.

Michael Stewart won a foul 30 yards out after pipping Caldwell to the ball and Aguiar curled the free-kick over the wall and into the corner with Artur Boruc well beaten.

Hearts finished the half the stronger side. The lively Elliot found half a yard just inside the box but his powerful strike was blocked by the upper body of Loovens, with referee Craig Thomson waving away hopeful penalty claims.

Celtic were forced into another change at half-time with pre-match injury doubt McManus going off. Crosas came on and Caldwell immediately found himself under pressure after moving into defence.

Zaliukas shot inches wide after a powerful run to the edge of the box. Aguiar then volleyed well over after a long throw under pressure from the quiet Flood, who immediately made way for Nakamura.

The Japan midfielder soon had a chance to show his dead-ball skills when Naylor was awarded a soft free-kick 20 yards out. But Hearts got lucky when Elliot appeared to block Nakamura's strike with raised hands.

Hearts still had the edge though and Zaliukas won the ball from Aguiar's free-kick into the box but the ball looped high over the bar.

Celtic enjoyed a decent spell of pressure but Loovens could not react quickly enough when Nakamura's corner fell at his feet six yards out and he spooned the ball high into the stand.

Loovens then got his team into trouble with a poor defensive header following a long throw but Driver volleyed wide from a difficult chance.

Balogh got down well to hold a powerful long-range drive by Nakamura, whose compatriot Koki Mizuno replaced McGeady with eight minutes left.

The Japanese pair had good chances as Celtic piled on some late pressure. Nakamura's curling effort was forced just wide by a brilliant block from Zaliukas after Naylor had set up his team-mate 16 yards out. And Mizuno blasted wide after a long throw fell perfectly for him 12 yards out.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to get the 3 points. Dreadful defending for the umpteenth time at free kicks and a huge slice of luck just before half time. Better in 2nd half and Scott McDonald came up trumps again. I have to say that they looked anything but reassuring for large portions of the game.

Rangers to me seem more convincing in last few weeks. It is going to be a nervy few weeks especially next Saturday. :)

It is going to be a nervy few weeks especially next Saturday.

Looking forward to it. But if Rangers lose or draw today then there is a good chance the league is yours. Unless you fuc_k up again. :)

Panic not, Salty, panic not.

I have a wee feeling that Hearts

will do us a favour today. A win

for the Jamrags would be fine; a

draw nice enough, too.

Alas your wee feeling failed to materialise. I have a wee feeling that we will get undone at Ibrox. Hopefully that will be wrong also.

Panic: No

Apprehension: Yes :)

With Scott Brown winning the PFA Scotland Player of the Year

this last week, we have already got a 4-in-a-row.

It's been a Celtic player who has lifted the award for the last 4 years.

A good omen!

And wee Ginger Baws wins Manager of the Year and seals the double!

Well done the 'Tic.

Just read this on the Celtic website.

I've been singing his praises, now

he's singing his own. I hope he

does the business, I'm right behind him.

Hartley's Experience Could Be Vital

by Gregor Kyle

HE’S been described by Gordon Strachan as Celtic’s ‘Dirty Harry’, the man to whom no job is too difficult to handle. And as Paul Hartley looked ahead to Saturday’s crucial league clash with Rangers, he explained that he is prepared to use every ounce of his experience to get the result.

Last season, when Celtic went on a closing run of seven consecutive victories to seal the championship, Hartley was a central player, forging a combative partnership with Barry Robson in midfield.

This week, with Scott Brown suspended, the 32-year-old again looks likely to play a leading role as Celtic aim to increase their lead at the top of the table.

“I came into the team last week and did fairly well and I am always involved in the bigger games when it gets down to it,” said Hartley.

OLD FIRM DERBY

Strachan predicts typical Old Firm derby game

May 7, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan insists Saturday's crunch Old Firm encounter at Ibrox will run along familiar lines, with ''good players'' deciding the outcome.

The Premier League champions go into the game one point ahead of Rangers at the top of the table and ultimately looking to win their fourth title in a row.

The hype surrounding the lunchtime kick-off has been increasing as the week goes on, with many believing the winners will go on to claim the championship.

However, the Celtic boss did his best to play down the significance of what is set to be an even more fraught occasion than usual.

Strachan, who will have to do without captain Stephen McManus after the Scotland defender was ruled out following an exploratory operation on his knee, said: ''There have not been too many surprises in the Old Firm games I've been involved in; it's all down to players, which it has been for the last 100 years.

''Good players win games; a good player won the game (at Ibrox) the last time with a cracking goal, Scott McDonald. And Mendes scored a cracking goal earlier in the season which won the game for them.

''So it seems to be decided by good players. 'Like every game, it has relevance; every game is a turning point. If we win, we will have the advantage until the next game.

''If Rangers win, it will give them an advantage until the next game.'' Strachan added: ''It is fantastic, a privilege to be involved in it.

''When I was an Aberdeen, Manchester United or Leeds player - or wherever I've been - I was always jealous of not being involved in it. I didn't get there as a player but as a manager it's good. I enjoy the atmosphere (at Ibrox), it's good.

''But there are no intimidating stadiums, only intimidating players.''

With McManus and Darren O'Dea missing through injury, and Scott Brown suspended, Strachan has several crucial decisions to make for the trip to Govan.

The Celtic boss will draft in Glenn Loovens to partner Gary Caldwell at the heart of the Hoops defence and he has been boosted by the return to training of Barry Robson.

The Scotland midfielder has not played since February after injuring an adductor muscle and has had one set-back during his recovery, but is in contention for Saturday.

Strachan is comfortable with the inclusion of bit-part player Loovens and he welcomed back Robson.

''Glenn has been a top, top player for us,'' the former Coventry and Southampton boss said. ''It's just unfortunate that he is against one of Scotland's best players this year, Gary Caldwell, and the Scotland and Celtic captain (McManus).

''So he has been unfortunate that way, but he has been a fantastic signing for us. Barry trained today for the first time in I don't know how long. He's infectious, a great character and it was nice to have him back - he adds to the place.''

Strachan also played down the absence of suspended Brown, named PFA Scotland Player of the Year on Sunday.

He said: ''We handled the blow last year when he wasn't playing in the run-in.

''He's doing terrifically well this year but Paul Hartley stepped in last week at Aberdeen and we won 3-1 at a place where we had been beaten 4-2 in the previous game.''

ok M Singh you were just about spot on. Still it's not all over 'til the fat lady sings. If we lose the league (which we wont Rangers will

foul up believe me) I know for a fact we will start a new season and win plenty league titles to come because we are not in a crockshit of

debt.

Maybe we were a bit unfortunate not to get a draw. Steven Davis made the difference at both ends. But we were fortunate in December when Scott McDonald made the difference.

What really annoys me is the way the 7 point advantage was frittered away over several games by concessions of mindless free kicks leading to equalising or at Aberdeen winning goals.

I think Celtic are more likely to drop points in the last 3 games than Rangers. However if they dropped 2 points it would give us back the advantage on goal difference by at least 2 assuming of course we had no further cock ups. :)

At this stage we can but hope and pray. If Rangers did drop points how important the Holy Goalie's block from Boyd might become. DU have drawn with us in all 3 SPL games so far. We have got to beat them this time to maintain the pressure on Rangers. Another nerve wracking 90 minutes in store I suspect.

Celtic managed to finally beat DU this season with a 2-1 win. As in the January game at Parkhead Celtic went 2-0 up early in the 2nd half and then went to sleep. Dundee Utd got back into the game at 2-1 and for the next 20 minutes overran Celtic in the middle of the field. If you just came in you could be forgiven for thinking they had at least 2 extra men. Celtic were dreadful and very fortunate to hang on.

DU will be difficult opponents for Rangers in the last game at Tannadice. Hopefully Hibs will be as well. But Celtic can be so poor that I think they are more than capable of dropping points in last 2 games. :)

Good news from Easter Road with Rangers being held to a 1-1 draw leaving us still leading on GD by 2 goals. With far more goals scored Rangers will have to make up 3 goals to win the title on GD.

Behind that statement another night of incredible tension. Rangers uninspired in 1st half. Hibs well in game and a superb strike by Derek Riordan to give Hibs a 1-0 HT lead. I expected a big response from Rangers and the 2nd half was like the Alamo. A graphic in about the 64th minute showed them with 73% 2nd half possession up to that point. An unrelenting stream of crosses and corners into the Hibs area which they somehow survived. Novo missed 2 great chances. A clearance off the line with strong claims it had crossed the line by Rangers. Linesman right on the end line did not give it. I would doubt if it was completley over the line but a foul on the goalie surely anyway. I thought the Hibs defence were poor at cutting out the supply of balls into the area and the inevitable with 10 minutes to go when Rangers equalised. Before that Riordan missed a good chance in a Hibs breakaway. I could have strangled him. In the end Hibs held on for the draw with Novo who equalised missing another good chance.

In the last 2 nights I have aged 10 years. It is great to have a decent shot at the title again but our worries are far from over. The way Rangers played in the 2nd half they could hammer Aberdeen on Saturday and have us under severe pressure on Sunday facing Hibs. Our midfield is so stop go with some disappearing from view that you feel Rangers will make far more chances than us. Watch this space. :)

Archived