Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These "big rumours" seem to have escaped the notice of the papers thus far. :)

Oh well i must have got it wrong, nothing wrong though with building the Celts hopes up & knocking them back down again, much like in the League Title this Season... :D

Enjoy Mark Mcghee.. :D

We await your next big rumour with bated breath. Will we be able to live with the disapointment I ask myself if it fails to materialise?

VACANCY AT CELTIC

Coyle, Mowbray out of reckoning for Celtic

May 28, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

The two leading contenders for the managerial vacancy at Celtic appear to be ruled out of the running.

GettyImages

Mowbray: Huddle inventor unlikely to take up Parkhead job

Burnley boss Owen Coyle and West Brom counterpart Tony Mowbray were immediately installed as the bookies' favourites following Gordon Strachan's departure on Monday.

But Coyle has pledged his future to the Clarets, while the Baggies issued a hands off warning to Celtic over Mowbray.

Coyle, who has just led Burnley into the top flight of English football for the first time in 33 years, was believed to be the Hoops' number one target.

However, Turf Moor chairman Barry Kilby revealed this afternoon the 42-year-old was "very close" to agreeing a two-year extension to his current contract and blasted the speculation that has surrounded his manager.

Reports claim Coyle held talks with Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell earlier this week and it was telling that he would only deny any "official" approach had been made for his services when questioned about the link this morning.

Coyle told Sky Sports News: "I'm very much focused on what we are going to hope to do in the Premier League.

"It is an exciting challenge and one I am looking forward to.

"I think the fans know the rapport I have with this football club.

"We think we have an exciting prospect and challenge ahead of us and we want that to continue.

"I'm as focused today as I was the first day I came into this job. I wanted to build this club and take it forward.

"What an exciting prospect to pit your wits against the best managers in world football with the best players and best teams - it's the best league in the world."

Coyle was a boyhood Celtic supporter and the Scottish-born former Republic of Ireland international acknowledged the fears of Burley fans that he might leave because of his past affinity for the Glasgow club.

He said: "Obviously, they can see the attraction Celtic would hold to someone like myself, growing up as a Celtic supporter - but it's all hypothetical.

"I'm flattered because it's Celtic you are talking about, given the size of the club, but that's all it was, speculation.

"There was never any approach so I am not going to get into the realms of talking about stuff that doesn't exist.

"There was no approach, so there wasn't anything to talk about and equally I am still committed to Burnley Football Club."

Coyle's declaration has shifted the focus to Mowbray, whose West Brom side have just been relegated from the Premier League.

The former Celtic defender - who invented the famous huddle at Parkhead - has yet to comment on being linked to the job.

But his current club are adamant the 45-year-old is going nowhere.

"We have already made our position very clear on this situation and it has not changed," the Baggies said in a statement.

"We have not received an approach from Celtic for Tony Mowbray - nor would we welcome one.

"Tony is under contract for the next two years and we fully expect him to remain as our manager."

Swansea have also confirmed there has been no approach from Celtic for their manager, Roberto Martinez.

Wednesday saw Dundee United boss Craig Levein dismiss speculation linking him with Parkhead, while the agent of Slaven Bilic claimed the Croatia boss would be interested in succeeding Strachan.

Agent dismisses talk of Henrik Celtic return

Henrik Larsson's agent has denied the fans' favourite is set to make a shock return to Celtic as part of the management team.

Empics

Henrik Larsson: Celtic legend

Rumours that the former Hoops striker was being lined up as assistant manager to Mark McGhee have swept Scotland.

But, as reports this morning claim West Brom boss Tony Mowbray will be unveiled as Celtic manager in the next 48 hours, Larsson's representative dismissed suggestions of a return to the east end of Glasgow.

"These rumours are not true at all," Rob Jansen told the Scottish Daily Mail.

"Henrik is still playing for Helsinborg in Sweden and it's impossible for him to break his contract or be part of anything happening at Celtic right now."

"Henrik is still playing for Helsinborg in Sweden and it's impossible for him to break his contract or be part of anything happening at Celtic right now."

Wow, it's a shame there's not more Contracts like that in modern Football..

Meanwhile back at the Ranch..................

Its beginning to look like Tony Mobray will be the new Manager. West Brom do not seem to be very impressed by Celtic and thus far claim no official approach has been made. Negoiating tactic? :)

• 2 weeks later...

The saga is over; As expected Tony Mobray is the man. Good luck to him. Hopefully Celtic will start playing next season. I would not be holding my breath re the Champions League but regaining the SPL is not impossible. :)

The saga is over; As expected Tony Mobray is the man. Good luck to him. Hopefully Celtic will start playing next season. I would not be holding my breath re the Champions League but regaining the SPL is not impossible. :)

AGH. Wrong spelling. Tony Mowbray. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Sad news on John Hartson hopefully he will overcome his health problem. A big man with a big heart.

I was unaware of bad news on Big John until I read your post. Dreadful news and sounds ominous. I watched him as a Setanta Pundit nearly every week. :)

Celtic sign £1.5m defender Fox from Coventry

July 24, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic have completed the signing of Coventry left-back Danny Fox on a four-year contract.

The 23-year-old will be eligible for Wednesday's Champions League qualifier against Dinamo Moscow after Celtic moved quickly to snap him up.

Fox told Celtic's official website: "I'm a bit shellshocked, but I'm really grateful to the manager and the coaching staff for bringing me here. It's a dream come true."

Celtic moved for Fox hours before Thursday night's deadline for registering their squad for the third qualifying round.

And, although they could not complete the deal in time, Fox will be eligible for Wednesday's home leg if, as expected, manager Tony Mowbray opts to utilise his one wildcard option.

Mowbray fended off competition from former club West Brom - who had a package of just under £2m rejected by the Sky Blues.

Fox was also thought to be the subject of several failed bids by Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies earlier this month.

City revealed they had agreed to keep the transfer fee confidential as they announced the move on their website.

Fox, who was named in the Championship team of the season, has already joined up with his team-mates in London and is expected to make his debut in the Wembley Cup this weekend.

"It's all happened so fast but I'm delighted to be here," Fox said. "I got a phone call on Thursday afternoon to tell me to head for Glasgow and it's all been a bit surreal.

"This is a massive move for me. I couldn't sleep on Thursday night because I was so eager to get down and meet the lads in London and I can't wait to make my debut.

"The size of Celtic speaks for itself. You have the history, the fanbase, the stadium and there's the added bonus of European football.

"I want to test myself at the highest level and there is no better place to do it than at Celtic. I'm just looking forward to getting started."

Fox came through the youth ranks at Everton before moving to Walsall, from where he was signed by Coventry in January 2008.

He becomes Mowbray's third signing following the capture of striker Marc-Antoine Fortune and midfielder Landry N'Guemo from Nancy.

The former Hibernian manager will hope the signing solves what has been a problem position for Celtic in recent seasons.

Lee Naylor has struggled to recapture the form he showed in the first season following his move from Wolves in August 2006, while Mark Wilson has been dogged by injuries.

Celtic sign £1.5m defender Fox from Coventry

July 24, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic have completed the signing of Coventry left-back Danny Fox on a four-year contract.

The 23-year-old will be eligible for Wednesday's Champions League qualifier against Dinamo Moscow after Celtic moved quickly to snap him up.

Fox told Celtic's official website: "I'm a bit shellshocked, but I'm really grateful to the manager and the coaching staff for bringing me here. It's a dream come true."

Celtic moved for Fox hours before Thursday night's deadline for registering their squad for the third qualifying round.

And, although they could not complete the deal in time, Fox will be eligible for Wednesday's home leg if, as expected, manager Tony Mowbray opts to utilise his one wildcard option.

Mowbray fended off competition from former club West Brom - who had a package of just under £2m rejected by the Sky Blues.

Fox was also thought to be the subject of several failed bids by Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies earlier this month.

City revealed they had agreed to keep the transfer fee confidential as they announced the move on their website.

Fox, who was named in the Championship team of the season, has already joined up with his team-mates in London and is expected to make his debut in the Wembley Cup this weekend.

"It's all happened so fast but I'm delighted to be here," Fox said. "I got a phone call on Thursday afternoon to tell me to head for Glasgow and it's all been a bit surreal.

"This is a massive move for me. I couldn't sleep on Thursday night because I was so eager to get down and meet the lads in London and I can't wait to make my debut.

"The size of Celtic speaks for itself. You have the history, the fanbase, the stadium and there's the added bonus of European football.

"I want to test myself at the highest level and there is no better place to do it than at Celtic. I'm just looking forward to getting started."

Fox came through the youth ranks at Everton before moving to Walsall, from where he was signed by Coventry in January 2008.

He becomes Mowbray's third signing following the capture of striker Marc-Antoine Fortune and midfielder Landry N'Guemo from Nancy.

The former Hibernian manager will hope the signing solves what has been a problem position for Celtic in recent seasons.

Lee Naylor has struggled to recapture the form he showed in the first season following his move from Wolves in August 2006, while Mark Wilson has been dogged by injuries.

You've got a bloody good player there for only 1.5 mil,one of the best 'set-piece' players I've seen for many years,he scored a few 'spectacular' goals last season......Good luck to the boy.

Archived