Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watching the draw for final CL qualifier.

Celtic drawn in 2nd game out of the hat and would'nt you know it against Arsenal. 1st leg at Parkhead. As in the last round probably the worst possible draw. I cannot see us getting through against the Arse. Big occassion and all that but that is little consolation. :)

Good work out at our place yesterday bhoys. Good atmosphere apparently and no trouble. :)

Yes, hopefully an insight to what we will face against the arsenal. Still can never tell with pre season friendlies. Anyways good luck to Man City this year :D

Hughes gives Tevez time to stake claim

August 9, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Carlos Tevez will have a week's intensive training before Mark Hughes decides whether to pitch Manchester City's new cult hero into Premier League battle at Blackburn Rovers.

GettyImages

Tevez: Returning from injury.

With Argentina coach Diego Maradona heeding Hughes' plea to leave Tevez out of his country's friendly with Russia in Moscow, City have the chance to build up his fitness after a 25-minute outing against Celtic on Saturday.

Hughes is dubious about Tevez's chances of starting at Ewood Park given it was his first appearance of the entire pre-season campaign as he struggled to overcome a heel problem.

However, recognising what a positive impact the 25-year-old had on the City supporters on Saturday, as well as his contribution to a 2-1 win, the Blues chief is eager to give Tevez every opportunity.

"I would like to think Carlos will play a part on Saturday although we will have to see how this week goes before we decide whether to start him or not," said Hughes.

"He has been a bit frustrated because he has not been able to put any weight on the heel for the vast majority of pre-season and has been chomping at the bit to play.

"But he looked really sharp when he came on. And the reaction he got from the crowd was fantastic.

"He is going to do great things for us. His energy gives the team a trigger and a focus for when we want to press and engage people. He is going to be really important."

For his part, Tevez just wants to be fit. It is the reason that for all the patriotism he has shown throughout his career, he is glad to be staying in Manchester while Argentina do battle against Guus Hiddink's Russia.

"It was a decision taken by all of us," Tevez told the club's website. "It is important to be fit for Saturday and I have only managed two training sessions so far.

"I need to be able to train all next week so I can produce a really good performance on Saturday."

For all the mass of new signings, which Hughes is pledging will continue as he attempts to bring in another central defender before City begin their Premier League campaign next weekend, Tevez seems certain to be regarded as the heartbeat of this new-look Blues team.

The South American's industry will always draw praise. But his status as a player who snubbed Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United and joined City instead ensures him a special place in the hearts of his new club's supporters, which could galvanise the side when they are in trouble.

Hughes will need to check on the hip problem that forced Kolo Toure out after just 18 minutes on Saturday.

The City chief is reasonably confident Toure will be fit for clash with Sam Allardyce's men, although as his attempts to lure Joleon Lescott across from Everton appear to have stalled, a quick refocusing of targets cannot be ruled out, especially as Hughes is not entirely satisfied with his side's defending.

"We are an attack-minded team," he said. "On occasion that caught us out last year so it is a case of making sure we are better and that our concentration levels are high, not only when you have the ball but when you are without it."

The technical aspects of City's play will be lost over the next few days and weeks as an expectant football world waits to see what the initial impact of a summer outlay exceeded only by Real Madrid will be.

As Celtic manager Tony Mowbray observed, Hughes has plenty of goodwill from his fellow managers, while any critics among City's supporters may be silenced for a while as they try to take in the magnitude of charge at their club.

"It reminds me of when I first came to Manchester back in 1965," said Blues legend Mike Summerbee.

"Something special was just about to happen for City and their supporters all those years ago and it is happening again on an even bigger scale.

"With the expectancy, City fans can't help but be sucked into it. I am still pinching myself after all that has happened."

Hey JS. Is there a reason why you posted that article on Tevez in the Celtic thread :)

It took me a wee minute or two, Mr.Bojangles,

but I think I've sussed why he stuck it here.

Take CARLOS TEVEZ as an anagram, think of

our next Champions League game and add a number:

CELT (3) VZ ARSE O

Hey JS. Is there a reason why you posted that article on Tevez in the Celtic thread :)

It took me a wee minute or two, Mr.Bojangles,

but I think I've sussed why he stuck it here.

Take CARLOS TEVEZ as an anagram, think of

our next Champions League game and add a number:

CELT (3) VZ ARSE O

Aaaah, got it. Silly me for not realising :D

So just as the season is about to start

I read that we're off to Canada for a

friendly in September.

Apart from the obvious money-spin, what

is the bl**dy point of a trip like that so

sharp into the season? Are we scouting

for moose? Hoping, maybe, that the 'Tic

get a mention in the next Mike Myers film?

Or just going over to pick up a few 'Legion'

badges for our grannies?

3-1 opening day victory for Celtic at Pittrodie. A barnstorming opening 45 minutes saw us lead 3-0 at halftime.(McGeady2 McDonald) McGeady 2nd goal was a cracker.

Celtic made a litany of chances and could have been 5 or 6 up at HT. That was the disappointing aspect, but overall far more entertaining than much of the dross of last season. McGeady and Maloney ran riot but several times a lack of imagination around the box meant no end product. A statistic on screen near the end showed Celtic with 24 attempts on goal to Aberdeen's 4. Maloney went off injured near the end hopefully not serious.

CELTIC 0 ARSENAL 2.

Predictable result. Celtic gave it their best shot but Arsenal were quicker and slicker. Both goals were fortunate. 1st goal 2 minutes before half time. An Arsenal free kick deflected into the corner of the net off the back of Gallas. Silly foul by Caldwell I thought. And Caldwell put through his own goal for No 2 in the 71st minute trying to deal with a dangerous cross.

Celtic could have got a penalty. Bendtner handled by putting his arm slightly forward. All this however would disguise the fact that Arsenal looked a much better team as I expected. I would not give us a prayer in the 2nd leg. But I was encouraged by aspects of Celtics play and I feel more optimistic about our SPL prospects.

5-2 against the newbies. Fair enough, but why are we leaking goals when parkhead used to be known as a fortress. Good to see Fortune gettin his sh*t together at last, something i suppose. Now on tae the Emirates . Put yir crash helmets on lads. Mon di Hoops

Just watched the condensed version of

the game that TS offer - their view of the

highlights, I guess.

The 'Tic looked magnificent. And 5 very,

very fine goals. Funnily enough, the 2 St. J

goals came from Caldwell slip-ups.

(He really is not that fine under pressure).

Fortune was no more than mediocre, in my

opinion. Yes, he scored twice, but he lacked

pace when it counted. Maloney was superb.

Arsenal next. Another sleepless night midweek!

Saw the goals last night on Sky. The sort of win you expect from Celtic, not the stuttering one goal wins in so many of the games last season. Caldwell's form a concern. Apparently ridiculous defending according to The Scotsman for St.J's 1st goal.

Next up in SPL Easter Road next Sunday with a 12.30 KO. On Sky I think here. Good time for you guys. I do not think I would lose any sleep over 2nd leg on Wednesday if I was still on holidays in LOS.

Rangers last minute winner over Hearts today with a penalty. Kevin Thomson straight red for a reckless challenge in the 1st half. Hearts ahead 1-0 at HT and I was optismistic our rivals would drop points but not to be. :)

Arsenal 3 Celtic 1 (Aggregate 5-1)

No surprise. As expected Arsenal much the better team in both legs. But it sticks in the craw that they were 3-0 up in aggregate thanks to a fluke, an og, and a dive for a penalty. We were never going to win the tie but you would surely expect that all the breaks would not go Arsenal's way. We can only hope now for a good run in the Europa League and regaining the SPL. :)

Arsenal 3 Celtic 1 (Aggregate 5-1)

No surprise. As expected Arsenal much the better team in both legs. But it sticks in the craw that they were 3-0 up in aggregate thanks to a fluke, an og, and a dive for a penalty. We were never going to win the tie but you would surely expect that all the breaks would not go Arsenal's way. We can only hope now for a good run in the Europa League and regaining the SPL. :)

That was painful to watch. Made all

the worse with them wearing that

awful away strip.

Anyway, when is the draw for this

'Europa League' and what are our

chances really? I know zilch about it.

regaining the SPL.

Lets hope not.

Anyway, when is the draw for this

'Europa League' and what are our

chances really? I know zilch about it.

Not sure when the draw is. But its basically the UEFA cup under a new banner. Is it not?

Indeed! No wonder we're paranoid. To draw Arsenal at all was the start of the nightmare. The fact has to remain we were outplayed.

Well done to the fans who travelled and sang their support to the end of the game though - put me to shame as all I wanted to do as the

game progressed was turn off the telly.

No surprise we were outplayed. Olypiakos Sporting Lisbon or Stuggart would have given us a far better chance of getting through.

They and Arsenal were the 4 teams we could have drawn when Celtic's name came out. Unfortunately we got the worst case scenario.

As so often happens in sport the strong favourites got all the breaks when they did not need them. From an Arsenal point of view it is in a close tie that you need the breaks .

I am not sure when Europa League draw is either. CL draw at 5 BST today. Possible Man Utd and Real Madrid in same group. That would be interesting. Europa League will have 12 groups of 4 with 2 to go through. 24 teams plus 8 3rd place CL teams to make up 32. Straight KO after that. Hopefully a decent run in that tournament. :)

Archived