Loan To Thai With Interest

If I loan money to a Thai, and the contract states I will be paid interest at a certain rate, will that be considered earnings and will I require a work permit ? I am currently on a retirement visa. The loan paperwork would also state that the loan is secured by personal property if that makes any difference.

There have been a number of threads on TV regarding Farangs walking away from debts they took on (Credit Card Debts, Mortgage Debts, Bank Loans etc).

Why do you think Thais are any different in this respect?

And why do you think they are coming to your for a loan rather than going to the bank??

OK, message received. Money + Thailand = DANGER!!! Unlike my rock solid investments in the US with Bear Sterns, Indy Mac, Fannie and Freddie, Enron, World Com etc; Fortunately I avoided all those disasters in the US and will avoid one here as it is a small sum to expand an already existing business with a decent cash flow. Also written in the deal was my wife becoming 1/3 partner in the business. This just gets better, huh? Like I said, a small sum equal to 2% of my assets which is the sum total of money I have invested in Thailand. Live dangerously. At least wish me luck :o