Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

Thaksin sounds like Nixon. I am not a crook! Cover up after cover up.

Is it me ? Or are all politicians just scumbag liars with major ego problems and criminal intent being stronger than civic duty? Why can't they just hide in a dark room and get a "HAPPY ENDING" from an intern? Now thats POWER!!!

Edited by IAMSOBAD

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawyer says Thaksin and family arrive in England

Mr Vichit Plangsrikul, the lawyer of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, confirmed that his client and family have arrived in England.

Thaksin’s legal team is currently drafting a report to explain why the deposed premier and his wife, Khunying Potjaman, failed to appear before the court in Thailand on Monday.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Breaking News:

Thaksin announces his decision to seek asylum in England

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced his decision to seek a political asylum in England in a faxed statement to NBT Channel

The station read Thaksin's statement at about 11:50 am.

The former prime minister said he had to flee to England because he and his family did not receive justice in courts, which had been interfered by his political opponents.

He said there were also attempts to assassinate him.

The former prime minister said he could not trust in the current political system because the coup makers had retained their dictatorial grip through their proxies.

--The Nation 2008-08-11

For crying out loud people, *of course* the UK will grant political asylum. Whatever else he may or may not have done, the man was a democratically elected prime minister ousted by military coup whose family is being dragged through the courts on complicated finance-related charges.

If that doesn't qualify you for political asylum, exactly what is the point of the institution?

Hmm... last I checked a democratically elected and Thaksin-friendly government was in power. Thailand is now a democracy, and the court cases against Thaksin are perfectly valid. In hindsight Surayud and his military government were smart let the courts follow due process - rather than quickly declaring him guilty in a show trial and grabbing all his assets.

I think the UK might even extradite Thaksin. No way he's going to be granted asylum.

I think he'll have to come back to Thailand and fight the charges, or move to Russia.

I had really hoped to see her mug behind bars along with her brother and hubby.

While some may have hoped to see them in jail, very few of their millions of supporters in Thailand would agree. The last thing any of us need who live and/or do business here is a catalyst for violence between their millions of supporters and their millions of non supporters. This country is polarized and people on both sides feel strongly about their beliefs. Perhaps if the Shinawatra's stay away the national reconciliation that was so widely discussed when the junta took over can now, finally, begin.

Yes best they go away.

WITHOUT most of the money.

I think they should not be extridited in the near future,

but their money exumed to the Nth degree in what ever

corner of the world it is stashed in.

I think a warrent for their arrests, WILL cancel his football team dream,

and the presitige he seems to so crave.

I suspect he will still throw money at PPP to try and re-write the laws,

and that's why PAD isn't backing down.

Next order of business, will be to dismantle his political machine.

Easier said than done, Look at 'banned' Newin running the show still...

but the courts seem to have a handle on this lately.

There are plenty of legal actions to go around.

For crying out loud people, *of course* the UK will grant political asylum. Whatever else he may or may not have done, the man was a democratically elected prime minister ousted by military coup whose family is being dragged through the courts on complicated finance-related charges.

If that doesn't qualify you for political asylum, exactly what is the point of the institution?

Imho he will neither seek nor be granted politcal asylum. He will live in exile in London or somehwere else as some of the Rusian oligarchs do. There is right now some confluence of thought between Thaksin's opponents and backers on the use of the word asylum. His backers see it as mirroring a poor downtrodden oppressed person forced to flee. His opponents see asylum as an admission he cant protect himself and more importantly his family even when inserting his own government, and also see it as a way Thaksin somehow becomes un-Thai as well as humiliated so expect misuse of the word locally.

Granting politcal asylum for people however powerful who have broken bail for impending court cases while a country is run by a democratic government (and one close to the assylum seeker) and while the country is not in a war situation is osmethign that would embarrass the host country and I would in all likelihood not happen. That the spose of the applicant is already a convicted felon would also not help. Thaksin will also be aware of all this so dont expect him to be in some line of Sudanese, Somalis, Georgians and Iraqis with only th eclothes they wear beggin the UK government not to send them back to torture and death.

Thailand is no longer under a military Junta. In fact the government is known to be "linked" to Thaksin. The west has welcomed Thailand's return to democracy. Things like trade and investment need to continue.

As I have said before if anyone had planned that court cases would only proceed when Thailand was back to democratic rule and at that a rule under Thaksin's own party they made a move worthy of a political genius. That the country is run by his people gives the court cases a level of legitimacy they would not have enjoyed under either his unelected or elected opponents. This is especially true in international eyes where it would be expected that any interference would be by his government on his behalf, which is a good reason why that cant happen too.

Edited to add: Accoding to breaking news looks like I may have been wrong on the not seeking part. He will after all be joining the line of Somalis and South Ossetians. If reports are true it puts the UK government in a hard place.

Edited by hammered

Breaking News:

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced his decision to seek a political asylum in England in a faxed statement to NBT Channel

The former prime minister said he had to flee to England because he and his family did not receive justice in courts, which had been interfered by his political opponents.

The former prime minister said he could not trust in the current political system because the coup makers had retained their dictatorial grip through their proxies.

--The Nation 2008-08-11

Faithful to his old habits, he's about to go on a spin campaign with rumours of, yet again, an assassination attempt :o and persecution from the justice system even while his own government is in power.

He's so predictable... :D time to update my avatar.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Faithful to his old habits, he's about to go on a spin campaign with rumours of, yet again, an assassination attempt :o and persecution from the justice system even while his own government is in power.
Breaking News:

--The Nation 2008-08-11

:D good one, Tony...

also funny how the full-on press conference in London dissolved to..... a fax to a public broadcaster in Bangkok

The latest also puts briggsy's post to a new light... they actually ARE going the political asylum route...

Edited by sriracha john

Exactly, and Thaksin has yet to be charged with any wrongdoing by any "legal" institution not co-opted by the military junta and their right-wing ultra-nationalist PAD. Alas, the soap opera continues with only small slivers of the story being public knowledge.

Breaking News:

--The Nation 2008-08-11

also funny how the full-on press conference in London dissolved to..... a fax to a public broadcaster in Bangkok

The latest also puts briggsy's post to a new light... they actually ARE going the political asylum route...

Never embarrass your host country

I cant believe they are actually going to seek asylum while having their own bought and paid for government in place. They need either the government to swop sides, a coup or have an agreement between Thailand and the UK in place as it is to everyones advantage.

Would this be a precedent case of someone fleeing a country governed by their own front party that they were in very good standing with and to at least a large degree controlled?

Thaksin says he is in Britain

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday that he was in Britain, confirming that he will not appear at a Bangkok court to meet bail conditions imposed by judges hearing corruption charges.

Amid rumours that he had fled into exile in London, Thaksin issued a statement read out on Thai television, saying he could not return to clear his name after a 2006 coup because he was receiving unfair treatment in Thailand's courts.

Source: Reusters - 11 August 2008

Exactly, and Thaksin has yet to be charged with any wrongdoing by any "legal" institution not co-opted by the military junta and their right-wing ultra-nationalist PAD. Alas, the soap opera continues with only small slivers of the story being public knowledge.

I've got to get out my umbrella, Sunrise and Young Husband are about to start lamenting the tragic and unfair downfall ( :o:D :D :D ) of their hero. You guys are seriously demented.

--The Nation 2008-08-11

See, thought so, here is the base of the counter action, defense and mudslinging will be based upon!

He is the good boy, the coup plotters made him run away... fear for his and his families life!

The Junta has stolen all his assets from him!

It's a far cry from over!

Or would "you" leave 2 Billion US$ just like that, behind?

They wont stop, unless they make some sort of progress!

Even Gen. Suchinda, as many others, have been pardoned!

Hope after piling up these lies, and more are to follow - the UK has the guts to cancel his Visa, at least send h is wife back to face the music!

Edited by Samuian

In a statement it says that coup makers still maintain control of the courts through their proxies.

That's a hard thing to sell.

The UK will of course offer him shelter for as long as he wants, they migth even let him manage his football club. There will be some protests and articles in the newspapers, but nothing major.

Thaksin says he is in Britain

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday that he was in Britain, confirming that he will not appear at a Bangkok court to meet bail conditions imposed by judges hearing corruption charges.

Amid rumours that he had fled into exile in London, Thaksin issued a statement read out on Thai television, saying he could not return to clear his name after a 2006 coup because he was receiving unfair treatment in Thailand's courts.

I wonder how many Thai people on conviction with a 3 year sentence are then not only allowed bail but also allowed to leave the country? That was probably unfair treatement. Then again the law has always given different treatement to the wealthy compared to the poor.

I also wonder what Mr. Thaksin now feels about all htose peopel who were not given their day in court but who were according to HRW and others summarily executed. It must be a diffciult place for someone so used to being able to ignore the law for his and his own and someone who was able to ensure others did not receive its protections to suddenly feel it is so wrongly used against him and his. Now I am sure as a good buddhist there are karmic lessons that Mr. Thaksin can now learn by thinking carefully about how these things have come to pass. He will it seems have plenty of opportunity to do so now.

I've got to get out my umbrella, Sunrise and Young Husband are about to start lamenting the tragic and unfair downfall ( :o:D :D :D ) of their hero. You guys are seriously demented.

Hey, I don't have a horse in this race. Just a casual observer of the coup and post-coup soap opera in Thailand where military budgets have increased 60% over 2006 in 2007 and budgeted for another 18% increase next year. I have never doubted that past elected PM's have gotten away with a bit of graft here and there. I'm just leary of a post military junta Thailand, and very skeptical that we are post military junta.

Now that it's official they are going this route... a little background on grounds for same...

Might I ask on what grounds they would seek Political Asylum? Or is it something one can buy nowadays? Convicted criminals are allowed to flee the country while rumours fly that they are going for good? Mind boggles although we should all be used to it by now.

Here's the choices...

The United Nations 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees guides national legislation concerning political asylum. Under these agreements, a refugee is a person who is outside their own country's territory owing to fear of persecution on protected grounds.

Protected grounds include:

1. race

2. nationality

3. religion

4. political opinions

5. membership and/or participation in any particular social group or social activities.

==============================================

Perhaps she'll go with #5 and claim she needs protection based upon her membership in the Hi-So social group and her participation in various social activities connected to that group.

Hey, I don't have a horse in this race. Just a casual observer of the coup and post-coup soap opera in Thailand where military budgets have increased 60% over 2006 in 2007 and budgeted for another 18% increase next year. I have never doubted that past elected PM's have gotten away with a bit of graft here and there. I'm just leary of a post military junta Thailand, and very skeptical that we are post military junta.

Spokesman, PR, paid employees?

However some posts are truly delicious, if not fantastic entertainment!

Breaking News:

and life goes on..................

--The Nation 2008-08-11

Never embarrass your host country

I cant believe they are actually going to seek asylum while having their own bought and paid for government in place. They need either the government to swop sides, a coup or have an agreement between Thailand and the UK in place as it is to everyones advantage.

Would this be a precedent case of someone fleeing a country governed by their own front party that they were in very good standing with and to at least a large degree controlled?

When I first came to Thailand on holiday in 1999 I arrived on Phuket, straight from BKK, and got a tuk-tuk to my hotel with my girlfriend.. the tuk-tuk driver, the first Thai person I'd met, passed on some wisdom that's become all too familiar now.. he barked over his shoulder through the din of the deafening little engine: "Welcome to Thailand.. here you can do anything if you've got money!"

how true.

Edited by octo

Which is laughable because Mr Big did return to Thailand to clear his name (once it appeared that the system was stacked in his favour). When he didn't like the way things were going, Big and the Missus scampered back to their rathole and out of reach. Political asylum would be an easier sell had Big stood his ground earlier this year and not returned to Thailand until their names were cleared and all charges were dismissed. At this point, they sound like any other convict claiming that they were done wrong by The Man and an unfair system.

Edited by ovenman

Ousted PM Thaksin Says He Is In U.K. - Statement On Thai TV

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has fled to the U.K., according to a faxed statement read Monday on Thai television.

It wasn't immediately clear if the statement was genuine. Channel 7 said the faxed statement was handwritten and signed by Thaksin.

"I may not be a perfect man. But I am not as bad as I'm accused of," the Thaksin statement said.

Thaksin failed to return to Thailand to report to the Supreme Court on Monday, sparking speculation he will resume self-imposed exile to avoid possible jail time.

Thaksin, ousted by the military in a bloodless September 2006 coup, faces a raft of criminal cases stemming from his alleged corruption and abuses of power while premier.

Source: Dow Jones - 11 August 2008

Ousted PM Thaksin Says He Is In U.K. - Statement On Thai TV

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has fled to the U.K., according to a faxed statement read Monday on Thai television.

It wasn't immediately clear if the statement was genuine. Channel 7 said the faxed statement was handwritten and signed by Thaksin.

"I may not be a perfect man. But I am not as bad as I'm accused of," the Thaksin statement said.

Thaksin failed to return to Thailand to report to the Supreme Court on Monday, sparking speculation he will resume self-imposed exile to avoid possible jail time.

Thaksin, ousted by the military in a bloodless September 2006 coup, faces a raft of criminal cases stemming from his alleged corruption and abuses of power while premier.

Source: Dow Jones - 11 August 2008

The BBC news just reported that he is indeed in the UK.

Cheers, Rick

Unfair treatment from Thailand's courts, isn't it his government that controls the court ?

A few points:

Most, if not all, of the outstanding cases against Thaksin are before the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, once this Court hands down a verdict, it’s straight off to jail, if that is the verdict – and there is no higher Court to which to appeal; the only route is a Royal Pardon. Perhaps no wonder he decided not to show up.

Thaksins’ frozen Assets in Thailand are believed to total almost 2 billion US Dollars – the BBC reports: “After Thai authorities froze more than $2bn (£1bn) of his family's assets pending corruption cases against him, he is now reportedly worth $400m (£200m).” That’s still a considerable amount of money of course but a huge drop from his previous position. Also he bought Manchester City for £ 80 million so that represents a considerable portion of his remaining assets.

To those who express regret or anger that he was allowed to leave the Country I would agree with other Posters who point out the problems and divisions that Thailand would face with Thaksin in a Thai Jail and the focus of widely differing feelings amongst the population.

Finally it should not be underestimated just what a penalty exile is – particularly for someone who was once so universally powerful in Thailand. Here his every wish was granted and he was fawned upon wherever he went. In London, he’s just another Asian millionaire. Even the majority of “ordinary” Thais I have met living and working overseas long to return to Thailand – imagine how Thaksin must miss home!

Patrick

Today is not my day : Thaksin

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra said Monday he decided to go into exile in England because of security threats to him and his family, as well as unfair treatment in the country's judicial system.

In his statement read out on a state-run NBT TV channel, Thaksin said he and his family will remain in exile in England indefinitely and did not say when he would return to the country.

He accused the country's legal system of employing "double standard" in their proceeding with legal matters against him and his family.

The former premier said he and his family have repeatedly received death threats and that they had to travel in bullet-proof cars.

Thaksin said at first he thought the election result of February 23, which saw the People Power Party (PPP), many of whose members came from his now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, came out victoriously would help "improve the situation".

Therefore he decided to return to Thailand on February 28, thinking that the situation would be favourable and "permits me to prove my innocence."

"But the situation has worsened. What has happened to me is like a poisoned fruits that came from a poisoned tree," Thaksin said.

He claimed there were "intervention in judicial system" that originated from intervention by dictatorship who has hidden agenda to "get rid of me and my family".

"These individuals see me as political enemy. They have no consideration to judicial system, truth and legal principle."

"My family and I have been continuously treated unjustly.

Thaksin apologised to his supporters for having to go into exile and asked them to remain committed to him.

"These are all results of my tireless effort to help the country. I apologise for having to seek relocation to England. I ask that all my supporters to remain with me a bit longer," Thaksin said.

Thaksin said he revealed the whole truth at an appropriate time, saying "Today is not my day."

Thaksin said he and his family remain loyal to the Monarchy "even though some have tried to accuse me of being other wise."

"I may be not a perfect man but I reaffirm that I am as bad as some accused of being. If good fortune were on my side I would like to return to Thailand and die there like all other Thai people.

It was not clear if Thaksin will seek political asylum in the United Kingdom where he owns the Manchester City football club

Source: The Nation - 11 August 2008

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin skips bail, stocks jump

BANGKOK: -- Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra skipped bail to London, alleging that political enemies who removed him in a 2006 coup were interfering in the courts to ``finish off'' him and his family.

In a hand-written statement faxed to Thai television stations, Thaksin apologized to the Supreme Court and the public for failing to make a required appearance in a corruption case involving him and his wife, Potjaman. "I must apologize again for deciding to come to live in England. If I am fortunate enough, I will return and die on Thai soil, just like other Thais,'' he said.

The stock market rose 3.3 percent amid hopes Thaksin's removal from the political scene would lower the chances of political clashes.

-- Reuters 2008-08-11