Post Grad. V Private Language School?

KhunLing

I have an opportunity next year to do a Post Grad. Certificate in TESOL at University.

I was wondering what people thought of such a certificate, as opposed to a private language school one -month course? (TESOL / CELTA)

I know Universities carry more ‘prestige’ etc. However, the Uni. Course takes an entire year part time. I guess I am asking, for the time involved, are Post Grad. Certificates considered significantly better / open up more opportunities etc?

Any advice appreciated! :o

A hard one as a lot of Thais might not know the difference (ahh you have TOEFL cert! Erm no it's a TEFL and it took me a year!). But overall I'd say farang employers sholud realise you'd have learnt more (or should have learnt more) than in a 4-6 week course BUT whether this means you'll earn more $$$$$$....well TiT, maybe but then again maybe not!

Let's just say while it might not overly help you, you'll learn more and it should make you a better teacher (again though this might not equate to earning more!).

As I've mentioned in the Qualifications thread above, where people seem consistently to refuse to post... :o ... in Thailand TEFL jobs are offered AS-IS. It doesn't matter with respect to the salary/benefits package what your qualifications are. Your qualifications only increase your chance of GETTING any particular job. Unfortunately, in Thailand with the backpacker-perverted market, the salaries for any level of work follow a flatline- only some of the BEST jobs which require lots and lots of experience and qualifications AND connections, rise above this floor.

Good luck!

"Steven"

As I've mentioned in the Qualifications thread above, where people seem consistently to refuse to post...  :o  ...  in Thailand TEFL jobs are offered AS-IS.  It doesn't matter with respect to the salary/benefits package what your qualifications are.  Your qualifications only increase your chance of GETTING any particular job.  Unfortunately, in Thailand with the backpacker-perverted market, the salaries for any level of work follow a flatline- only some of the BEST jobs which require lots and lots of experience and qualifications AND connections, rise above this floor.

Good luck!

"Steven"

Thanks fella's. I guess I left out one consideration, that being what course would best prepare me to be a decent ajarn.

I've looked at the Uni. course and it does have a fair amount of depth to it. Prac teaching in actual schools, three months on teaching methods etc. That appeals.

I'd actually like to do the job well long term. I've had a lot of experience tutoring and have done some volunteer teaching courses. I realise that doesn't prepare me for a classroom environment, but it's a nice 'first step' so to speak.

My wife is Thai born and has several job offers at some International Hospitals. Thus, we will stay long term eventually and I'd like to do the job as best I can...as opposed to just collecting a paycheck etc.