Nikon D300 Vs D200 Vs D700 Vs D3

joepesci

I am a proficient photographer (I'd like to believe so - have used 35mm N70 for a long time - 10 yrs) - Still have not invested in a DSLR - and intend to do so now.

For advanced amateur use, which camera would you recommend, and why?

Also, which country generally has the best prices for Nikon DSLRs? I keep on travelling (or my colleagues do) - so if price diff is huge will get it from the best place...

Would love to hear your experiences on D300 vs D200 Vs D700 Vs D3

Pl. advice.

Hi i entered DSLR photography this year in Jan with a D40x and loved that camera to learn on....then quickly moved onto the D300 as I wanted more features. The D300 takes great pictures and the multitude of setting on the body (rather than menu software controlled on the D40x), makes it easy to use. The 'live view' active screen on the back is a nice features which only starts on the D300 upwards (if a little tricky to use).

The D700 has a few more features, the main benefit is the FX format (same as the big brother D3), ie not the reduced size DX format on the D300 downwards. Whilst this is undoubtedly great to have (bigger view frame), not sure if I would pay the extra cash for it.

Check out the following link at Ken Rockwell's site...he describes each in detail and compares.... http://www.kenrockwell.com

depends on what you want too shoot, if you want to shoot a lot in low light situations, the D700 may be the better choice due to the very low noise at High ISO of the full frame camera

I am not sure that is really an issue?

I cannot comment on the Nikon's as I am a Canon user,

but I feel sure the full frame version has a weight penalty.

Let's face it, how often do we really need ISO 3200, or even ISO 1600?

If you do then go for full frame and the bigger sensor.

depends on what you want too shoot, if you want to shoot a lot in low light situations, the D700 may be the better choice due to the very low noise at High ISO of the full frame camera

I am not sure that is really an issue?

I cannot comment on the Nikon's as I am a Canon user,

but I feel sure the full frame version has a weight penalty.

Let's face it, how often do we really need ISO 3200, or even ISO 1600?

If you do then go for full frame and the bigger sensor.

thats what I was suggesting :o if you do need to shoot a lot in those conditions then look at the D700 or D3 as the high ISO is outstanding on those cameras, I have a D300 and although it gets great shots, I find I need to use a flash a lot of times where I would rather not, but the high ISO just doesnt quite deliver