Isaan,,,who Lives In Deep In There,, Not In Towns

MarcoH

Isaan,,, well many people lives in Isaan, but when we talk about real Isaan people are those who are living outside of towns adn fancy facilities...

Would like to hear from you guys who are really Isaan Farang's,,,and not for town people who have everything,,, those of you who live completely on your Own and are truly Survivor's.

I have been living in Isaan abt 10yrs in Ubon,,,and about 40Km outside of that but still in close distance from town.

I mean people talking about living in Isaan,,hey Living in Korat,,,well is that Isaan,,Yes it is (in the Map) but you are so close to Bkk and everything, and im sure there is many guys who are really live Deep in Isaan,, let us know,,how is your life and what you are doing....

-Marco-

Isaan,,, well many people lives in Isaan, but when we talk about real Isaan people are those who are living outside of towns adn fancy facilities...

Would like to hear from you guys who are really Isaan Farang's,,,and not for town people who have everything,,, those of you who live completely on your Own and are truly Survivor's.

I have been living in Isaan abt 10yrs in Ubon,,,and about 40Km outside of that but still in close distance from town.

I mean people talking about living in Isaan,,hey Living in Korat,,,well is that Isaan,,Yes it is (in the Map) but you are so close to Bkk and everything, and im sure there is many guys who are really live Deep in Isaan,, let us know,,how is your life and what you are doing....

-Marco-

does a small village count ? I am in the far south of Surin, the village has about 60 people, and electricity....

Happy to share my experiences etc, if thats what you are looking for.

I've lived in a small village 80 Km northwest of Korat for 14 years. Off and on for 11 years, full time 3 years (now). Lived and worked in Bangkok as an expat (US company) for about 7 years.

The village life. Love it. General quiet unless you count a number of evening parties that can get loud (but I've learned to block out that noise unless I'm attending). And of course the roosters crowing way before dawn. And the church bells going off at 6 am. But I'm an early riser so no problem. Unless an evening party going on the village, life closes up early (8 PM). Good time to read a book, watch TV, "play" on the internet. Less traffic. Less polution. As I enjoy motorcycling, I find it fun to travel around the different villages. Getting more and more farong in the area (not full time, but more often than not it seems). Certainly cheaper living than a big city. Of course being a small village lots of local gossip goes on and not always nice, but I guess you'll have that anywhere. Anyway, just wanted to say I really love it.

I do get to the "big city" of Korat on a weekly basis for a "sanity check".

Cheers.

Well I'm not in Issarn but live in a small village, nearest big town is 70 km, nearest small town 30 km. Been up here for about 4 years about 80% of the village is related mabye about 15-20 houses and my mum-in-laws shop.

Took me 3 years to get online here as we dont have a phone line so use satilite. Its really quiet here have lots of parties around the area and the shop is sort of the village center. As ken said lots of small village gosip, as there is not much else to do!! We are on a fairly main road though so I makes it a bit easier to get anywhere, and even though the distances are greater, the traffic is light so it does'nt take that long. Unless something is going on most thing shut up early but open about 5-6 in the morning.

There are hardly any falangs around here I would guess much less than in Issarn, my nearest falang neibour is about 40 km away. If I dont get away on "civilisation breaks" I can sometimes go months without seeing or speaking to an other falang.

It's not the life for everyone but I love it.

-Marco-

Hello There,

I returned 3 months ago after a stay of 3 years in Iesaan.

I stayed a while in Trakarn Phutpon (50 Km from Ubon Ratchasima), after that I stayed at a small village near Udon Thani.

I got used staying there instead of the rush from BKK or Pattaya.

Hope to get back soon for an other few years.

Chris

I stayed a while in Trakarn Phutpon (50 Km from Ubon Ratchasima

Interesting, a friend of mine has bought some land in Trakarn - his g/f's family is currently farming dairy cattle on it - he intends to move out there in a few years. He has helped out at the local school - getting the roof fixed, buying computers, etc. He also really loves the place.

I live in the North country about 50 km SW from Khampaeng Phet and I have been here for about a year at weekends when the house was being built and full time for the last 3 months. We live about 6 km from the nearest village close to edge of the Mae Won National Park in a Moo Ban about 1 km long but the houses are spread out. The nearest neighbour is about 1/2 km away and at night there is nothing to hear apart from the odd motor cycle and the natural sounds.

The chickens cannot read the time as they go off at all times of the day and night.

There is not a lot to do so I spend time on the Internet, read a lot and generally relax.

I can look at the hills all around and enjoy real fresh air on a daily basis, go to the waterfalls and the streams when we have had rain, and nip down to the local market in the village and practice my mangled Thai. I suppose 20% of the village know me and a few more know of me. My nearest farang neighbour is about 30 km away but I don't know where as we have never met.

For real excitement I can go to Nakhon Sawan 120 km to the South and get the Nation or the BKK Post and eat farang food, Pizza Company or KFC, sorry McD has not made it this far yet and the pizza people won't deliver.

I generally get into BKK every so often for "real civilisation".

Swap all this for a city life. You must think I am crazy. I love it up here.

RC, are you into reading as I have a load of books to swap.

billd766

I live in the North country about 50 km SW from Khampaeng Phet and I have been here for about a year at weekends when the house was being built and full time for the last 3 months. We live about 6 km from the nearest village close to edge of the Mae Won National Park in a Moo Ban about 1 km long but the houses are spread out. The nearest neighbour is about 1/2 km away and at night there is nothing to hear apart from the odd motor cycle and the natural sounds.

The chickens cannot read the time as they go off at all times of the day and night.

There is not a lot to do so I spend time on the Internet, read a lot and generally relax.

I can look at the hills all around and enjoy real fresh air on a daily basis, go to the waterfalls and the streams when we have had rain, and nip down to the local market in the village and practice my mangled Thai. I suppose 20% of the village know me and a few more know of me. My nearest farang neighbour is about 30 km away but I don't know where as we have never met.

For real excitement I can go to Nakhon Sawan 120 km to the South and get the Nation or the BKK Post and eat farang food, Pizza Company or KFC, sorry McD has not made it this far yet and the pizza people won't deliver.

I generally get into BKK every so often for "real civilisation".

Swap all this for a city life. You must think I am crazy. I love it up here.

RC, are you into reading as I have a load of books to swap.

billd766

Hi billd766, I knew you lived up there but not exactly where, not exactly on the main route is it :o I've got probably well over 100 books here most of which I've read several times, I'd love to meet up some time, I recon your about 2 hrs away (I'm about 45 min south of nakorn), your welcome to pop down anytime, spend the night if you want. I used to get up that way ofter (visa runs to mae sot). If your going down to BKK I'm not much of a detour out of the way. Oh there is a Mc Donalds in Nakorn

Cheers RC

I also live in a very small village about 55km south of Roi Et, been here about a year and a half. As you say its very quiet, no other farange. Great food, not poluted and money goes a long long way.

Slowly learning to speak thai / Issan Lao, which shocks some petrol pump attandants .. Taerm Nam Boh ?

Ive learned to enjoy the molam and the festivals, love the changing seasons and

the only thing I havent done is harvest the rice. Too damned hot. I got a sun tan through a thick blue denom shirt.

The comment about the books is true, Ive read loads, have loads of fiction paper backs to swap if anyone is interested. Maybe we should start a library ?

The wife and I have a house approx. 60km north of Khon Kaen in a small village called Ubolrattana. We're very close to a large lake so great for fresh fish and swimming.

Only other foreigner around is a Czech who has overstayed by around 8 years, doesn't have any money to pay the fine and leave but constantly tells me everything he doesn't like about Thailand.

It does take a bit of getting used to living so remote. Weekly trips to Khon Kaen for basics such as milk etc.

Generally I enjoy it as it is so friendly.

Funny place to ask a question like this - these guys that live in the "real" Isaan, away from the the larger population centres will never come across it! They haven't got access to the internet!

I'm spending some time in a Moo Baan about 20 kms out of Sawang Daen Din. The internet access in that city is pretty woeful. In the Moo Baan itself I can't even get mobile phone connection.

Hi Sweatysock

I live in a village about 10kms north of Khon Kaen off the Udon road. Go to the lake every time I go home (work in the Middle East). Perhaps we can meet up next time I'm home Dec/Jan. PM me if you are interested.

Mick

P.S. I do not moan about Thailand at all!!

Hi guys

Really nice to see how you guys feeling to live in "Real Isaan"

here is one really funny thing,,,as some one might know from past that i have worked in the cruise ships last 20yrs and currently in Mexico,,,,few weeks ago one of our office join our ship and he's from Norway we spoke and after like 2 weeks i asked that where he is living and he just reply that he lives in Thialand,,,well i asked where and for dam surprice,, he lives abt 30km from my home and i didn have any idea and we met in Mexico 'Other side of the world",, thats what i called really nice surprice.

I truly agree that live in small towns are generally better but you have to get use to it,, no bars, discos, ago-gos, and as im rather young when i moved in, every one was skeptical that why guy in my age(That time 29) would like to live place like that,,,,,and it was hard to explain to them that i love it, no one seems to belive,, now after almost 10yr people still wondering....

Many of you put it nicely abt rooster's, wow I love that when they are out of clock,, but when you are getting use to them there is no need of own the clock,,,,

Im surrounded by roosters from 4 corner and water buffolos front and the back..

Also in the Ubon town 40km away, no Mc Donnalds there but all nessesary department stores.

if any of you guys traveling to Ubon let me know and we can take pint or two...

-Marco-