Solar Panels

Rocket

• 2 weeks later...

I had two solar panels installed from this company when I had our bungalow built two years ago. They give lashings of hot water. The cost then was 55,000 baht but costs rse of course.

Thai German (address above) are at kilometre post 48 from Khon Kaen on the Mittrapharp Road towards Udon Thani.

Elgan is a great bloke, very helpful, very efficient (He is German after all !) and I can recommend the firm.

I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer. I know he has a very good brochure explaining his system as our bungalow's photo is on the cover.

Derek

Khon Kaen

Excellent! I glad someone beat me to this question. I'll have to jot this info down for our next trip back to Nong Khai. We're going to start building our house in about 12 months ($$) and we are very interested in running solar - I don't feel like running a couple of hundred meters of power line when I can be off the grid!

He wouldn't happen to have an email address would he?

Thanks much for the info. I can't wait to ge back to LOS - it's supposed to snow tonight - yuck!

Eric

If you intend to use solar panels to generate electricity so you do not need any connection to the grid then you will need a huge amount of panel area. I spoke to Elgan on just this point and he said it was possible but very expensive. Your grandchildren might reap the benefit.!

But by all means go ahead and talk to him.

I seem to remember him also having a dinky folding pair of solar panels about paperback book size you opened up and connected to recharge a mobile phone. Plus another one than generated enough to run a small water pump for a pond fountain.

Derek

Khon Kaen

I follow your point. I was searching the I'net for Solar info in LOS and found only 3 sites that had anything worth viewing. One had "package" plans and they used a huge number of panels (in my opine) compared to what we use in the States. They had half the wattage rating so figured that was the reasoning. May end up shipping some of the average sized US ones over if all I can get in LOS are 60 or so watt units.

I'll shoot him an email this weekend when I have my mind focused better and see what I can find out. Of course I may not require too much as the old house we stay in now only has 4Amp service from the grid. I about shit myself when I found that out!

We're not going to require too much anyway, Fridge, Lights, Ceiling Fans, Ham Radios, Washer and mybe a TV and Stereo. I don't use A/C so shouldn't be too bad of a draw on 220VAC. Don't have to worry about the grandkids for a few years yet - oldest child is only 19 months!

I do appreciate your thoughts though - the more bugs I can work out the better!

Eric

I had  two solar panels installed from this company when I had our bungalow built two years ago.  They give lashings of hot water.  The cost then was 55,000 baht but costs rse of course.

Thai German (address above) are at kilometre post 48  from Khon Kaen on the Mittrapharp Road towards Udon Thani.

Elgan is a  great bloke, very helpful, very efficient (He is German after all !)  and I can recommend the firm.

I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer.  I know he has a very good brochure explaining his system as our bungalow's photo is on the cover.

Derek

Khon Kaen

A great bloke, very interesting !

In germany he enjoys another reputation. Illegal employment, swindling. He tooks cash before delivery but didn't have paid the goods at his dealer. He has ordered services and has never paid them. I know him from his years near munich. Ask him about his company SEWANO.

Hope, this will never happen again. Surely he will never return to germany so he will remain in your region.

Joedue

• 9 months later...

please distinguish which kind of panels you are talking about when posting

One kind are solar votlaic cells which produce electricity and can poser a house if it is run as a 12 volt system. to transform it to regular voltage requires a lot of equipment

The other is water heating panels that are basically black water pipes in an insulated box with a glass/perspex cover. The hot wate thermosyphons to an insulated water tank higher up and can be used as hot shower water, clothes washing, and heating (most effective with underfloor heating as this only needs a low water temperature to work).

the second option is easy to make yourself, or have made for you. If you do it very simply you can just put large pipes in the panel and store the water right there.

I follow your point.  I was searching the I'net for Solar info in LOS and found only 3 sites that had anything worth viewing.  One had "package" plans and they used a huge number of panels (in my opine) compared to what we use in the States.  They had half the wattage rating so figured that was the reasoning.  May end up shipping some of the average sized US ones over if all I can get in LOS are 60 or so watt units.

I'll shoot him an email this weekend when I have my mind focused better and see what I can find out.  Of course I may not require too much as the old house we stay in now only has 4Amp service from the grid.  I about shit myself when I found that out!

We're not going to require too much anyway, Fridge, Lights, Ceiling Fans, Ham Radios, Washer and mybe a TV and Stereo.  I don't use A/C so shouldn't be too bad of a draw on 220VAC.  Don't have to worry about the grandkids for a few years yet - oldest child is only 19 months!

I do appreciate your thoughts though - the more bugs I can work out the better!

Eric

Careful - fridge and washer use a HUGE amount in solar terms. You might want to consider a gas fridge or high-efficiency fridge. If you are only a couple of hundred metres from power, I would run lines - I have a temporary connection from a pole about 500 or 600 metres away, a doubled up run of ordinary cable I bought from the local shop, strung on bamboo poles lashed to fence posts. This will suffice until they run poles down my track (which is supposed to be next year ????). This supplied enough for welding my roof, so seems ok.

By the way, my service is 15amp. "So little?" I asked my better half. "That's a lot, thats VIP power" was the reply !! I can't imagine my breakers will ever trip, the one at the meter is a lower rating !!

I've been trying to find a gas fridge for ages here in Thailand. Do you where Phibun?

whereever I ask they look at me as if I'm coming from Mars. "Gas is to heat not to freeze !"  :o

Sorry, I haven't seen them here...

yea pretty much everyone says that. only ones that know are the rv and off the

grid people. the problem i had with propane fridges is that they really heat up a house

Its great in winter but in summer its not good. I had an old servel from the 50's which

guzzled the propane. another negative is the carbon monoxide it gave off. some of the newer ones have a vent for venting gasses to the outside. i believe sunfrost sells just the compressor or kits, can't remember, but you can install it in the cabinet of your liking. shipping a compressor to thailand is a possiblility.

there was a good discussion on photovoltaics a while back if thats what you're looking for. do a search on photovoltaics and it should come up