Lack Of Teaching Materials And Teachers Are Main Problems

george

Lack of teaching materials and teachers are main problems : Poll

BANGKOK: -- A Suan Dusit survey has pinpointed major problems in the country's educational system, including inadequate teaching materials, a shortage of teachers, an inefficient curriculum and students' failure to focus on their studies.

The information was gathered from 1,257 respondents, many of them students or teachers.

Suan Dusit Rajabhat University deputy rector Sukhum Chaloeisap plans to present the survey findings to a Senate subcommittee on basic education today. He is an advisor the subcommittee.

"We have conducted the survey to identify which problems should be tackled first," Sukhum said Wednesday.

He disclosed that the subcommittee recently discussed educational problems but could not conclude which ones were most urgent.

The survey thus asked respondents not just about education problems they had witnessed but also about the solutions they wanted to see implemented first.

On the solutions, 26.82 per cent mentioned curriculum improvement while 23.46 per cent recommended a studentcentred approach.

Other respondents called for adequate teaching materials, family efforts to instil a love of reading in children, and inclusion of ethical lessons.

Sukhum said the Senate subcommittee would inform the relevant authorities of the survey findings.

"We will then follow up on how they implement the solutions," he added. "We will also update the public on the progress."

-- The Nation 2008-08-13

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- A Suan Dusit survey has pinpointed major problems in the country's educational system, including inadequate teaching materials, a shortage of teachers, an inefficient curriculum and students' failure to focus on their studies.

The information was gathered from 1,257 respondents, many of them students or teachers.

Suan Dusit Rajabhat University deputy rector Sukhum Chaloeisap plans to present the survey findings to a Senate subcommittee on basic education today. He is an advisor the subcommittee.

"We have conducted the survey to identify which problems should be tackled first," Sukhum said Wednesday.

He disclosed that the subcommittee recently discussed educational problems but could not conclude which ones were most urgent.

The survey thus asked respondents not just about education problems they had witnessed but also about the solutions they wanted to see implemented first.

On the solutions, 26.82 per cent mentioned curriculum improvement while 23.46 per cent recommended a studentcentred approach.

Other respondents called for adequate teaching materials, family efforts to instil a love of reading in children, and inclusion of ethical lessons.

Sukhum said the Senate subcommittee would inform the relevant authorities of the survey findings.

"We will then follow up on how they implement the solutions," he added. "We will also update the public on the progress."

-- The Nation 2008-08-13

Am I the only one getting a distinct feeling of "Deja Vu" on this topic. I feel sure that we have already been here and done this.

Seems to me that the Chinese elite (and the military elite) send their children to private school away from Thailand if possible, and if they spend too much money on educating the non-chinese, where will they get their endless supply of maids, taxi drivers, gardeners and other cheap labour from?? Too much education could be a dangerous thing and upset the status quo. The last thing we want is the underclasses demanding thier equal share of prosperity. For example, if the farmers learn to do multiplication sums, they will demand fair prices for their rice etc. Oh no no no no no.....

-- The Nation 2008-08-13

There is not really a problem in the Thai system. Students who fail cause a loss of face for the Thai teacher, so therefore it is important that no students fail. Inside the Thai system it is not important to have extra skills and special abilities. This domain is reserved for the children of the elite who are educated outside the Thai system to make sure that the elite retains its superiority. So the Thai system functions exactly as planned, producing large numbers of obedient workers who do not have the ability to question their superiors.

clipped from the Nation's article; "....and inclusion of ethical lessons."

Here's a two barreled ethical lesson for Thai schoolkids:

Whatever former PM Thaksin states, assume the opposite is true. Whatever Thaksin does, assume the opposite is the ethical way.

The point here, is Thai youth need to have elders and leaders to emulate for the right reasons. With such a rotten crop at the top of the political heap, it's tough for kids to get their bearings about what's right and what's wrong.

Edited by brahmburgers

clipped from the Nation's article; "....and inclusion of ethical lessons."

Here's a two barreled ethical lesson for Thai schoolkids:

Whatever former PM Thaksin states, assume the opposite is true. Whatever Thaksin does, assume the opposite is the ethical way.

The point here, is Thai youth need to have elders and leaders to emulate for the right reasons. With such a rotten crop at the top of the political heap, it's tough for kids to get their bearings about what's right and what's wrong.

Well, some western countries don't have all that much of an honest leadership either.

I do not want to go into details , this thread could go the wrong way, but having lying idiots at the top is not just a Thai thing.

I think the remark made about losing face and the consequences that has, is very applicable in this case.

At my last school the average age of the teachers was 50. Mandatory retirement age in Thailand is 60. One of the teachers there told me that, within 5 years, 40% of their teachers would be gone and there weren't enough replacements being trained or hired.

Right now, the biggest problem with the Thai public education system is the fact that the average class size is around 50 students. Within the next few years that number will go up to 60 or even 70. :o All of the educational innovations in the world won't help with class sizes like that. IMHO, the maximum number of students in any class should be 35 or less.

We hear a lot of criticism of the Thai teachers' rote teaching methods. Quite frankly, when the students outnumber you 50 to 1, you can't really do much else! :D

We hear a lot of criticism of the Thai teachers' rote teaching methods. Quite frankly, when the students outnumber you 50 to 1, you can't really do much else! :o

Not easy, but not impossible to teach big groups.

The problem, in my opinion, is the face-value component of Thai education. No one fails, so lets lower the standards. Assessment in my school, is basically the ability to remember the prep lesson of the teacher who wrote the test and doesn't measure true ability. This is not seenas a problem, as students will learn the necessary skills in private teaching, tutoring, etc.

The fact that most students have to study at night and in the weekends, proves that the Thai educational system is rotten to the core!

The best curricula or teaching materials in the world wont change that!

Like a lot of countries, there are a host of problems facing the education system. They have hit only two of them. I think they would do better to drop some of the nationalistic rhetoric, misinformation about their history and culture, and stick more to learning, rather than indoctrinating. Of course this problem is not unique to Thailand.

We hear a lot of criticism of the Thai teachers' rote teaching methods. Quite frankly, when the students outnumber you 50 to 1, you can't really do much else! :o

Not easy, but not impossible to teach big groups.

The problem, in my opinion, is the face-value component of Thai education. No one fails, so lets lower the standards. Assessment in my school, is basically the ability to remember the prep lesson of the teacher who wrote the test and doesn't measure true ability. This is not seenas a problem, as students will learn the necessary skills in private teaching, tutoring, etc.

The fact that most students have to study at night and in the weekends, proves that the Thai educational system is rotten to the core!

The best curricula or teaching materials in the world wont change that!

The tutor schoolization of the urban educuation system, may reflect recognition that talented people even with education degrees are not going to enter the field of education or it may recognize an inability of schools to provide or it or it may just be a cynical ploy by some within the education system to make money

Certainly the way that some tutor schools seem to have advance information on what is coming up on a quality local school test (a school where students do fail) would suggets to me that there is at least some attempt to exploit kids education. As a parent this leaves you with limited options unless you have enough money to afford a proper international school education or afford aducation abroad asumign you would want to send your kids away from you which personally I wouldnt.

Seriously, why does any alien in Thailand genuinly care about the Thai education system? What is it to you? What's really in it for you? Haven't you got better things to do with your time than to ponder the education system here? If your an alien teacher in the system, I think as long as your little lot is OK why do you bother with the rest? After all, for an alien teaching here, is it not just a means to an end, ie; the money, in order you live the life style that you chose.

Seriously, why does any alien in Thailand genuinly care about the Thai education system? What is it to you? What's really in it for you? Haven't you got better things to do with your time than to ponder the education system here? If your an alien teacher in the system, I think as long as your little lot is OK why do you bother with the rest? After all, for an alien teaching here, is it not just a means to an end, ie; the money, in order you live the life style that you chose.

Some of us are parents with kids in the education system which is why we care. Others I guess just care for humanitarian reasons. I also guess that if people are teaching out here it is quite likely that may have some desire to see things improved. It may even be that the lifestyle someone chose involved the job they chose.

I have never understood why the only reason someone should care about things is that there is something in it for them.

Each to their own

Some of us are parents with kids in the education system which is why we care. Others I guess just care for humanitarian reasons. I also guess that if people are teaching out here it is quite likely that may have some desire to see things improved. It may even be that the lifestyle someone chose involved the job they chose.

I have never understood why the only reason someone should care about things is that there is something in it for them.

Each to their own

There was a time in the past I probably would have agreed with you. However, since arriving in Thailand my idealism has been ground down to a pulp.

Since some teachers are professional in their approach to education, it is important to them that they do their job well. I mean, if I am going to spend an hour in a classroom, I may as well do the best job I can to teach the students because I don't save any time by whiling away that hour.

Also, doing a job well often makes everyone's life a little easier.

Bongo, I believe you have hit the nail on the head !

I don't believe anything will change in the Thai education system, irrespective of reviews, reports or university studies. The current regime, as you say, likes things the way they are.

I will also add that I am sure that most Thai teachers are happy with the way things are. There are annual teacher 'respect' days, students do not do anything as annoying as asking questions, and no one dares to criticise. :o

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only one getting a distinct feeling of "Deja Vu" on this topic. I feel sure that we have already been here and done this.

Seems to me that the Chinese elite (and the military elite) send their children to private school away from Thailand if possible, and if they spend too much money on educating the non-chinese, where will they get their endless supply of maids, taxi drivers, gardeners and other cheap labour from?? Too much education could be a dangerous thing and upset the status quo. The last thing we want is the underclasses demanding thier equal share of prosperity. For example, if the farmers learn to do multiplication sums, they will demand fair prices for their rice etc. Oh no no no no no.....

Each to their own

There was a time in the past I probably would have agreed with you. However, since arriving in Thailand my idealism has been ground down to a pulp.

It is about time you leave than if you feel that way.

Each to their own

It is about time you leave than if you feel that way.

He says from the west indies. Know nothing!

So it's the responsibility of Thai Chinese parents to educate other people's children?

:o

So it's the responsibility of Thai Chinese parents to educate other people's children?

Good Heng, you just gave one of the reasons why the Thai education looks like it does :D But don't worry, you don't need to care about your fellow country men, better stay 3rd world. After all, you already have your US education, and we do not want to loose that advantage over the masses, do we :D

Good Heng, you just gave one of the reasons why the Thai education looks like it does :D But don't worry, you don't need to care about your fellow country men, better stay 3rd world. After all, you already have your US education, and we do not want to loose that advantage over the masses, do we :D

There you go, baanthale, as usual you're turning a blind eye to reality.

So what "advantage" did the first and subsequent generations of relatively *uneducated* Thai-Chinese have (you, know, the ones who managed to gain control of the entire economy from the ground up)? Even if all of the relatively few Thai Chinese (my guess would be no greater than 15,000-20,000 per year) who do send their children abroad to further their education stopped doing so, do you think the playing field that the *uneducated* Thai Chinese already own would somehow become more "equal?"

:D

So what "advantage" did the first and subsequent generations of relatively *uneducated* Thai-Chinese have (you, know, the ones who managed to gain control of the entire economy from the ground up)? Even if all of the relatively few Thai Chinese (my guess would be no greater than 15,000-20,000 per year) who do send their children abroad to further their education stopped doing so, do you think the playing field that the *uneducated* Thai Chinese already own would somehow become more "equal?"

Who's turning a blind eye to reality?? Just exit you castle, and you will see reality outside. I do not begrudge Thai people to get an education abroad, but I would also like to see the big masses in Thailan having a chance to get a decent education. I understand that everyone can not have exactly the same standard in the world, I also know that it could be alot better for most in Thailand with a little effort. As I said before, in the end it's all about how you want your country developed :D

Personal bickering aside, it is a damning indictment on the system that the number of trainee teachers aren't being trained at a sufficient pace to met future demand.

And 50 in a class room is ridiculous! What happened to the students right to learn??? Oh yes, they don't have any rights do they!

my lady's grand parents were born in china and came to thailand with nothing. she spoke Chinese and french and not thai on arrival so i guess she was from somewhere close to laos. she had 12 children, all in thailand. of the 12, id say that 3 would be considered wealthy, 6 middle class, and 3 poor. so its not like every single Thai Chinese person is living in a 'castle'. i dont know the exact history or how many chinese came to bangkok with a bag of gold and how many came with no bag at all, but my ladies grand parents came with nothing and they now own several shop houses in a prominent area. so at least some of the Thai Chinese 'earned' it.

Edited by lifeisrandom

my lady's grand parents were born in china and came to thailand with nothing. she spoke Chinese and french and not thai on arrival so i guess she was from somewhere close to laos. she had 12 children, all in thailand. of the 12, id say that 3 would be considered wealthy, 6 middle class, and 3 poor. so its not like every single Thai Chinese person is living in a 'castle'. i dont know the exact history or how many chinese came to bangkok with a bag of gold and how many came with no bag at all, but my ladies grand parents came with nothing and they now own several shop houses in a prominent area. so at least some of the Thai Chinese 'earned' it.

I can only speak for my self, but my posts was not meant to be some Chinese bashing (they are famous for their hard work etics and smartness). I was talking about poor and rich (nevermind race or religion), and that I don't think it's right that the majority of the population in Thailand should need to be under educated. Thailand can afford education for all, just a question about priority's.

aren't they the ones holding the positions in government responsible for the policies?

Government as parent? What are the children's REAL parents doing?

Doesn't fortune/God/karma help those that help themselves?

Who's turning a blind eye to reality?? Just exit you castle, and you will see reality outside. I do not begrudge Thai people to get an education abroad, but I would also like to see the big masses in Thailan having a chance to get a decent education. I understand that everyone can not have exactly the same standard in the world, I also know that it could be alot better for most in Thailand with a little effort. As I said before, in the end it's all about how you want your country developed :D

Not only am I in the castle and have a nice view of the big picture, my work often involves working side by side (and hand to mouth) with the grunts of society and I see first hand more than a few personal habits (none that are taught in any meaningful way in school by the way.... to the point that I'd call it culture/tradition) that generation upon generation that keep people down. Plenty of exceptions as well of course. There's the occasional Chinaman that makes it to the NBA as well, it doesn't mean that 'education' OR a 'conspiracy among African Americans' is to blame for the lack of them up until this point. People are, for better or worse, inherently different.

:(

Edited by Heng