BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Maizefarmer

Protecting The Roof Over Your Head From A Devious Partner

I always thought that a westerner can own the house but not the land it's built on.

Yes this is true. But what if the relationship brakes down? Both you and your house could be evicted from Madame's land. So where would you take your house?

:-)

Perhaps an interesting solution (if you have trusted family living overseas), is to ensure that your assets in Thailand are actually legally owned by your brother, or mother (or whoever), who happens to reside in Oz or the UK or wherever. You can have some form of legal contract with them that is drawn up in your home country that gives you control over these assets. Bring your mother/brother over for a holiday when they need to sign any initial purchase papers. Then make sure your Thai partner knows that your mother owns all your assets. She/he will have to travel to Oz/UK to commit the murder . . . .

If she asks why all your assets are held by your mother/brother, just tell her that in your country, you look after your family before your spouse - just like they do in Thailand.

Simon

Sorry simon, but if you are a farang, your mother/brother/whoever will probably be farang too.

And they are not allowed to own land, that is what it is all about.

I think aliens can own land through inheritance although they may be forced to sell it after a certain time.

I always thought that a westerner can own the house but not the land it's built on.

Yes this is true. But what if the relationship brakes down? Both you and your house could be evicted from Madame's land. So where would you take your house?

:-)

Exactly. It's incredible that a lot of folks aren't thinking that far ahead.

:o

Also look up the Usufruct thread. Was a good topic about your assets and how to protect yourself.

I love living in the boonies of Issan. BUT, no way would I consider staying here if not for my Thai wife. She is the reason that I am happy and content here. Why would I go to the trouble and expense of having all sorts of contracts made to protect my investments? I will never be able to own any property in my name so why bother? If there comes a day when she no longer wants to live with me or if I no longer want to live with her, I will pack my personal things in MY truck and head back to MY condo. YES, I know you have all heard it before but the golden rule is to NOT spend more than you can afford to walk away from. The house, land and car are all in her name while I keep a vehicle and the condo in my name. Certainly there would be a lot of hurt and financial loss involved but I wouldn't miss any meals.

Kudos Gary A. The only sensible post on the entire thread.

Many of the problems seem to stem from the simple inability of foreign residents to understand a simple concept - as a foreigner you are not allowed to own land in Thailand (although, as a caveat, I understand that the situation is slightly different for Americans married to Thai's). Everything we see on this thread is designed to, in someway circumvent this simple fact.

Many of the problems seem to stem from the simple inability of foreign residents to understand a simple concept - as a foreigner you are not allowed to own land in Thailand (although, as a caveat, I understand that the situation is slightly different for Americans married to Thai's). Everything we see on this thread is designed to, in someway circumvent this simple fact.

the situation is NOT different at all for Americans married to Thais :o

Legal matters aside, IMO on the practical side: beneficiaries who are not Thai will rarely want to have anything to do with the country after a sudden passing/murder of one of their family members here. If you look at it from their point of view, just think of how long it took you to adjust to how sort out your business here -it takes months at best, and some cases people are still trying to figure it out 5-10+ years later- and then imagine them going through it after your death within a limited time frame.

You're right Heng. But I think Maize was suggesting this as a means to hopefully avoid an unexpected and potential demise. Another way of looking at it is to protect your interests in the event of a split in the relationship. That's my take on it.

Another thought is what if your spouse or partner dies from an accident or illness and the family starts squabbling over selling off the assets? If you have no protection, you could not only be out on the street, but out your investment too.

Of course, I understand the idea was deterrence. My point was that if it gets to the point where the local wife or husband is not on your team, I'm sure they would understand the implications of your family (or your "team") being located on the other side of the ocean. It doesn't take much imagination to visualize two steps ahead in that if one decided to knock off one's partner, the victim's family would likely show up for the criminal trial but probably wouldn't stick around for a civil trial. Inheritance ensured.

And that's assuming that one is caught.

:D

Again, you're right and I agree with you. I had a friend who sank most of his money into a house and land for wifey, then died under rather questionable circumstances and the matter 'conveniently dropped'. The most his family in the U.S. could do was put a freeze on his credit cards and notify agencies to stop his retirement benefits. He didn't take any legal precautions, even though he had every reason that he should have. Sadly, that was his mistake. As some have mentioned, it really is important to choose your partner wisely. But as also mentioned, there are other valid reasons to to provide such legal 'insurance'.

My wife and I built a modest place in the province of Saraburi. We both shared in paying for the house and property. We've been married many years now, and I have a lot of trust in her. Although she's more than proven herself trustworthy and sensible, unfortunately the same can't be said for some members of her family. We both agreed that we should take some legal steps to save a lot of future time, hassle and headaches in the event she ever died by accident or illness.

My Wife has made a Thai will in Thai and English leaving everything to me and in the case of her own land and own house (not our house or land) has stated she does not want any member of her family to receive anything. How safe is this?

sorry mate don't believe that for a second. Why are people always trying to prove whos got the better thai bird???

Everything we see on this thread is designed to, in someway circumvent this simple fact.

wrong again! in this thread (amongst other things) leases and usufructs are discussed, both perfectly legal and no circumvention of prevailing law involved. moreover, it is also legal for a foreigner to own immobile property of all sorts built on leased land or made available to the foreigner by usufruct. rare cases with a lot of investment enables a foreigner to own land, max 1 Rai (see Bendix' posting).

My Wife has made a Thai will in Thai and English leaving everything to me and in the case of her own land and own house (not our house or land) has stated she does not want any member of her family to receive anything. How safe is this?

sorry mate don't believe that for a second. Why are people always trying to prove whos got the better thai bird???

Maybe this thai lady is the most devious of all. She know she not going to die first!

why do people use derogatory comments without any reason? :o

Maybe this thai lady is the most devious of all. She know she not going to die first!

you know her and therefore can judge her? :o

Why are some folks so sensitive about how other folks feel about their spouses?

I do my mental gymnastics trying to figure out how to take care of my family in the event of my future demise.

Maybe if you dwelled on this, instead of trying to figure out how to protect everything from your wife, then you wouldn't have to think so much about her offing you.

That is of course assuming your wife isn't a piece of ...