Can Anyone Please Tell Me What This Thai Word Mean

Narachon

Can anyone tell me what this Thai word means?

ค่อย

I just got a e-mail letter from a friend, and I managed to translate it, with the exception of this word - And I can't find it in my Thai-English / English - Thai Dictionary.

Thanks a Botttle! :o

Can anyone tell me what this Thai word means?

ค่อย

I just got a e-mail letter from a friend, and I managed to translate it, with the exception of this word - And I can't find it in my Thai-English / English - Thai Dictionary.

Thanks a Botttle!  :o

According to my dictionary there are several meanings. The most common meaning I've encountered is "little". For example:

ค่อยคุยได้มั๊ย = Can we chat (a little)?

I hope that helps. If it doesn't make sense, then perhaps you could copy the complete sentence.

As always when it comes to translation questions, you have to provide as much context as possible... The word ค่อย has a few different meanings.

When it occurs with the negation "mai" (possible the most common use), ค่อย is a modifying word to soften an utterance a little bit "not quite" or "not very" -

Phom/Diichan mai chawp aab daet - I don't like sunbathing.

Phom/Diichan mai khoi chawb aab daet - I don't like sunbathing that much/I am not that fond of sunbathing

When it occurs before a verb, often reduplicated, like this: ค่อยๆ , it means "gradually", "little by little" or "with care".

It can also mean "gently", "softly", or "low" (of sound).

ค่อย ๆ เดน walk carefully (as not to fall), walk slowly

ค่อย ๆ หน่อย a bit (more) gently! a little softer!

In Lao and Isarn, ค่อย is a 1st person personal pronoun, giving rise to the Central Thai dirty double entendre:

A: I had a girl from Isarn last night, and boy was she great in bed!

B: How so?

A: Well, she kept going " อย่าทำค่อย อย่าทำค่อย " (yaa tham khoi! yaa tham khoi!" throughout the whole act!

The meaning of "yaa tham khoi" in Central Thai is "Don't do it softly!" = "Harder! Harder!" whereas the Isarn one should be understood to mean "Don't do (this to) me!" (you have to be liberal with the interpretation here, an Isarn girl would most likely say "het" instead of "tham" for example.)