Removing Cambodian Visa Sticker After Use

Just curious if anyone removes their one page Cambodian Visa sticker after use to save pages in your passport? I've done it once at the border cause I desperately needed an extra page to which the official made me write an apology letter to the government of Cambodia for desecrating sovereign property. I have done it once since then with no problems.

Can anyone site any rules on this, and who might enforce them?

Despite being illegaly, it was a good try.

How did you get caught? surley you weren't stupid enough to remove the sticker in from of an official? I am interested to know how they knew you removed it, was there left over lable on your passport?

2 reasons:

1 - They put a stamp over the edge of the sticker, to stop tossers like the OP trying to remove them

2 - They count up your entry and exit stamps.

I read a troll like this a few years ago - total fantasy but a good try.

Just curious if anyone removes their one page Cambodian Visa sticker after use to save pages in your passport? I've done it once at the border cause I desperately needed an extra page to which the official made me write an apology letter to the government of Cambodia for desecrating sovereign property. I have done it once since then with no problems.

Net time you apply for a new passport, ask for a business passport.

More, many more pages in there.

Yeah.. I did it there at the office on the Cambodian side. Stupid.. umm.. a bit harsh.. Try creative. Anyway it worked. So yeah.. maybe illegal in Cambodia, but I am sure my home country is not going to say anything about it.

@ sweetchariot - so there is some extra ink on the border? You think officials in Singapore or Hong Kong are going to know what it is? Plus a little water blurs it right out. The stamps are still there and in effect, so it has not bearing on counting them.

I'd not recommend this practice if you are going right back to Cambodia the next month.. but if you weren't bound back there for several months.. what's the harm?

Also I did request "Can anyone site any rules on this, and who might enforce them? " Don't what to hear from the know-it-all's who say "it's illegal" without backing up your statement with proof.

My God. And this one is allowed to travel the world alone. :o

You are not supposed to alter anything in a passport. If done your passport is considered tampered with, and is invalid.

A couple of years ago I asked a Thai immigration official at the airport about peeling off some of the full-page visas (includes India, Vietnam, Burma too). I was told I'd get my chops broken big-time if it was noticed.

From my passport (USA), page 6:

"4. Alteration or mutilation of passport: This passport must not be altered or mutilated in any way. Alteration may make it INVALID, and, if willful, may subject you to prosecution (Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 1543). Only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries, in connection with official matters, may place stamps or make statements, notations, or additions in this passport. You may amend or update personal information for your own convenience on page 7."

Certainly removal of a visa sticker would fall under the definition of "alteration or mutilation"

Get some pages added to your passport, if possible. For USA passport it is almost too easy, just needs a quick stop at the USA Embassy.

Just curious if anyone removes their one page Cambodian Visa sticker after use to save pages in your passport? I've done it once at the border cause I desperately needed an extra page to which the official made me write an apology letter to the government of Cambodia for desecrating sovereign property. I have done it once since then with no problems. Can anyone site any rules on this, and who might enforce them?

My God. And this one is allowed to travel the world alone. :o

the LORD works in mysterious ways :D

"4. Alteration or mutilation of passport: This passport must not be altered or mutilated in any way. Alteration may make it INVALID, and, if willful, may subject you to prosecution (Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 1543). Only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries, in connection with official matters, may place stamps or make statements, notations, or additions in this passport.

Certainly removal of a visa sticker would fall under the definition of "alteration or mutilation"

I would beg to differ...the 2nd sentence in this paragraph seems to define the offense of "Alteration or mutilation" of a US passport. It specifically states that only authorized [immigration] officials may add stamps, statements, etc. to the passport. It does not state that the passport holder may NOT remove said markings or additions if no longer necessary. Certainly, if they meant to ban removing them from the passport, they could easily have said so in a couple more words.

On a couple occasions, I have removed both Thai and Cambo visa stickers from my passport as they take up a whole darn page each after they have been used and have never had a problem. I used the now expired passport many more times for entry/exit to LOS and other countries post-visa sticker removals. :o

The way I figure it, the purpose of the visa was complete and there was no more reason to have it in my passport. If my memory recalls correctly, there were entry/exit stamps on other pages of the passport so my record of traveling to Thai/Cambo was preserved...just that I got back another page of my passport to use.

if i had kept each and every sticker as well as papers stapled into the dozens of passports i had during the last three decades i could open a recycling shop. i did not and that means i am for sure a "great passport mutilator in the eyes of the LORD". :o

Well, I've been at the Cambodian border numerous times.. During one border run, I heard someone tell this guy that his Passport is full, and this was after they allowed him to depart Thailand.. He never received an entry stamp to Cambodia, so he started to tear out one of the previous Kingdom of Cambodia stamps he had, where he was quickly stopped by the border police..

Then to kick him in the balls while he was down, they told him he had something like 5 hours to depart Thailand.. He ended up with other options, but I would never want to be in his shoes.. But sure as shit, they tell me my passport is full, but I they did stick the Cambodia sticker on the last valid page of my passport, page 21.

When I tried to re-enter Thailand, that was the most uncomfortable feeling ever.. They went through my passport numerous times, then tossed it back at me.. so, I ran like a little girl to the service I used for the visa run. We went back to the window, they spoke in Thai (I'm half asian, look asian), he tells the border police I'm Thai, then he stamps an entry stamp on page 23 of my passport.. Now I've checked on what pages that are valid and not valid and after page 21, it's not used for visa stamps. I still don't know why that all that happened, but I departed Thailand 28 days later..

What was all those blank pages used for? I don't even care anymore..

When I returned to the States, I played it safe and just got me a brand new passport, cuz I hated when I entered Thailand, when they would mark my entry stamp with they yellow marker.... My last trip with the new visa, no problem, no yellow marks...

I really don't understand the point that Cambodia and even Thailand will take up one full page to place a visa stamp.. When I say even Thailand, I'm talking about the one year Cat "B" visa stamps..

But to the point of your message.. Even if you can pull out one of those Cambodia entry stamps, they also place two separate ink stamps in red, that they stamp part over the sticker and part on your passport page, so there would be evidence that you pulled out the Cambodia entry stamp.. So, why take the chance?

Edited by neion2000

@ mgjackson69 - Nice find. Removing the stamp could easily be considered alteration.

So I guess getting your passport wet.. to the point where the stamps bleed or are blurred would fall under "alteration or mutilation". I'm sure many an avid traveler has found them selves in this situation.

Attached is what it looks like after removing it. As u can see.. it only would mean something to a Cambodian Official. So not a good idea... if you plan to go back to Cambodia.

post-18520-1218888113_thumb.jpg

Any immigration officer, anywhere, viewing that passport could refuse entry as it is obviously a mutilated passport and no longer valid for travel. When the US authorities see it you may be subject to criminal prosecution if they check the stamp and find out you removed a visa.

You are playing with fire. And this thread is closed per forum rules in illegal activity.

Any immigration officer, anywhere, viewing that passport could refuse entry as it is obviously a mutilated passport and no longer valid for travel. When the US authorities see it you may be subject to criminal prosecution if they check the stamp and find out you removed a visa.

You are playing with fire. And this thread is closed per forum rules in illegal activity.

They just don't listen do they Lop. ???