Weekend On Koh Samet/samed

bkkmick

Hi

Hope this is the correct forum for these questions.

I was thinking of taking the Mrs. and kids to Koh Samet for a couple of nights this weekend.

Never having been there, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Sai Kaew Beach Resort hotel?

Also, the weather up here in Bangkok hasn't been great over the past week or so. What's the weather like generally on the island?

Thanks

Mick

Sai Kaew Beach Resort is where we stay when we go to Koh Samet. By far the best IMHO, but not the cheapest. Have stayed there something like 10 times in the past 7 years or so. They have a good restaurant and very nice pool. In the evenings walk down the beach to Ploy’s for dinner. There is also a bar there with a live band (not sure about during low season). Very nice beach, with some activities (but not bothersome), a bit of shopping, all in all we find it very relaxing.

If you are driving your own car down, there are several places to leave your car and they well arrange a speedboat to take you right to the hotel. We usually use the place just before the public ferry, before the 7/11 across the street. Would not recommend the public ferry, it is much cheaper, but the speedboat will drop you off at the beach in front of the hotel, takes about 10 minutes as opposed to the 45 or so for the slow ferry. Also, by getting out by the hotel, you rarely have to pay the national park fee. Last year I think we paid 1,500 baht round trip. Don’t quote me on that as wife handles that part. We just called when we were ready to leave.

This time of year that is likely to be thunderstorms during the day or evening, pretty much like Bangkok right now.

TH

Hi TH and thanks for the info.

My Mrs is really keen now to go and stay at that hotel. She'll be relieved to read your comments.

I will be driving down there so I'll arrange for the speedboat option (I'm sure my kids will get a kick out of that - me too).

I like to watch a good thunderstorm!

We're going to give it a go.

All the best

Mick

This time of year that is likely to be thunderstorms during the day or evening, pretty much like Bangkok right now.

TH

Currently; occasional thunderstorms. ~ once a week. I live not to far from Samet, and watch BKK get a late thunderstorm most days - Samut to do with heat islands -

Hi TH and thanks for the info.

My Mrs is really keen now to go and stay at that hotel. She'll be relieved to read your comments.

I will be driving down there so I'll arrange for the speedboat option (I'm sure my kids will get a kick out of that - me too).

I like to watch a good thunderstorm!

We're going to give it a go.

All the best

Mick

Hi Mick,

Yeah, getting out of a speedboat up to your waist in water with children and a few suitcases might impress the kids but once you have done it I am sure it is an experience you will not wish to repeat!

As you will likely be returning by ferry any way I am sure you will then agree the ferry is the better option. Been there a few times with the wife,very nice, not much for kids to do but soakup the sun and water which is excellent and wll worth a dip at 6 or 7 in the morning.Not cheap but Islands never are.

I am a bit afraid of the electric supply so close to the water, they bring the able out on the beach and seeing cables trailing about doesnt seem the smartest thing to do, NO problem as they told me!

Dont tell anyone but its my favoutite beach in LOS, be a shame if it got too overcrowded.

Sure you will all have a great time, wish I was there now.

Roy gsd

Water up to your waist? What is that about? Every time I have come ashore at the beach I might be in water up to ankle or so. Also, the guys come out from the hotel and unload and carry the bags anyway.

Why would you be “likely be returning by ferry any way” ? You can arrange for the same boat that takes you to come back and get you with a phone call, or Jimmy’s Boat service right at the hotel will take you back.

You keep riding the ferry, I will be waiting at the beach already checked in with a beer in hand by the time you finally show up. :o

TH

Water up to your waist? What is that about? Every time I have come ashore at the beach I might be in water up to ankle or so. Also, the guys come out from the hotel and unload and carry the bags anyway.

Why would you be “likely be returning by ferry any way” ? You can arrange for the same boat that takes you to come back and get you with a phone call, or Jimmy’s Boat service right at the hotel will take you back.

You keep riding the ferry, I will be waiting at the beach already checked in with a beer in hand by the time you finally show up. :o

TH

thaihome is right.......forget the ferry, getting off the speedboat at the beach, or in Ban Phe is no problem.

Well I got back last night from Koh Samed. I lived in Bangkok for 3 years in the 90's and have been here another 8 years now. I CANNOT BELIEVE that in 11 years I never went to Koh Samed before. We had a great time. Probably the best place I've visited in Thailand (and I've been around a few).

The hotel SaiKaew (White Sands) was great for the money. We paid 1300 per night (my Mrs. always opts for the cheapest rooms!). The rooms were quite basic but clean, mini-bar, good aircon and a couple of UBC channels. To be honest we spent hardly any time in the rooms as the beach was really clean and the kids were enjoying playing in the water then there was decent night life along the beach to keep us all occupied. Breakfast, included in the price, was good too. Great bacon and eggs (for me) and a good selection of Thai food for the rest of the family (mother in law was with us too). Hotel staff were great too. When we were checking out (at 12) we asked if we could come back later and shower/change. No problem. When we returned after our last afternoon at the beach we were whisked away in a golf cart to an empty chalet towards the back of the hotel were we all changed for the home journey then carted back to reception. All for free.

In our case the speed boat reversed up to the beach and we jumped into calf deep water. The hotel staff arrived to collect our baggage and take it from the boat to our room.

One other thing I appreciated was that the sea opposite the hotel was cordoned off to all motor boats/jet skis so that there was a safe, large swimming area.

The section of beach where the hotel is located has about 20 or so bar/restaurants so that was plenty of variation to keep us busy for two nights, we ended up in Ploy Disco both nights.

It was hot, dam_n hot. Be sure to cover yourself with sun block if you're lucky enough to get good weather.

Beer was good value too (for having a captive audience on an island). From 60 baht for a small Heineken and from 100 baht for a large bottle!

To quote Arnie: "I'll be back"

Edited by bkkmick

Well I got back last night from Koh Samed. I lived in Bangkok for 3 years in the 90's and have been here another 8 years now. I CANNOT BELIEVE that in 11 years I never went to Koh Samed before. We had a great time. Probably the best place I've visited in Thailand (and I've been around a few).

The hotel SaiKaew (White Sands) was great for the money. We paid 1300 per night (my Mrs. always opts for the cheapest rooms!). The rooms were quite basic but clean, mini-bar, good aircon and a couple of UBC channels. To be honest we spent hardly any time in the rooms as the beach was really clean and the kids were enjoying playing in the water then there was decent night life along the beach to keep us all occupied. Breakfast, included in the price, was good too. Great bacon and eggs (for me) and a good selection of Thai food for the rest of the family (mother in law was with us too). Hotel staff were great too. When we were checking out (at 12) we asked if we could come back later and shower/change. No problem. When we returned after our last afternoon at the beach we were whisked away in a golf cart to an empty chalet towards the back of the hotel were we all changed for the home journey then carted back to reception. All for free.

In our case the speed boat reversed up to the beach and we jumped into calf deep water. The hotel staff arrived to collect our baggage and take it from the boat to our room.

One other thing I appreciated was that the sea opposite the hotel was cordoned off to all motor boats/jet skis so that there was a safe, large swimming area.

The section of beach where the hotel is located has about 20 or so bar/restaurants so that was plenty of variation to keep us busy for two nights, we ended up in Ploy Disco both nights.

It was hot, dam_n hot. Be sure to cover yourself with sun block if you're lucky enough to get good weather.

Beer was good value too (for having a captive audience on an island). From 60 baht for a small Heineken and from 100 baht for a large bottle!

To quote Arnie: "I'll be back"

Glad you enjoyed your stay :o:D