Thai Culture And Sarcasm

Jingthing

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m with uncle Heng on this.

Sarcasm is infact “very much” the integral part of the Thai’s life.

Jingthing, …..Are you sure you didn’t get confuse between…..irony and sarcasm?

Sorry but this time your myth is.......mai jing....mai jing :)

No, both of those examples are sarcasm.

So please give me some examples of what you consider to be examples of sarcasm in a Thai context.

Ok I have a few....

tok-tang-kao-san = marrying into the money

pid-mia = to commit adultery, for a man

leuumm huu leuumm ta = wake up and see the truth

sen-phom-bung-pu-khao = the truth is right before your eyes

sao-sai-hai-ga-gin = to air dirty laundry in public

etcs....

You have to know how to speak thai very well......... in order to understand the sarcasms, and be able to distinguish them apart from the normal speaking sentence meaning.

Obviously you're not at that level yet :D

thats idiom, not sarcasm

Adverse to sarcasm? Some one must tell my wife :)

This isn't sarcasm but a sincere inquiry. In "American" english. The correct word to use here is "averse", which is a different word from "adverse", and has a different meaning. My question is, is averse used in "English" english and does it have the same meaning as adverse. I'm not denigrating your post as I see your usage frequently here. Just curious. TIA

This isn't sarcasm but a sincere inquiry. In "American" english. The correct word to use here is "averse", which is a different word from "adverse", and has a different meaning. My question is, is averse used in "English" english and does it have the same meaning as adverse. I'm not denigrating your post as I see your usage frequently here. Just curious. TIA

You are correct "averse" is the appropriate word in English

You are correct "averse" is the appropriate word in English

Should it not be "adverse for"? Or "with respect to"? Normally there is no preposition, as in "adverse driving conditions", or "adverse sarcasm conditions due to outbreaks of literality and occasional vocabulary constraints"; or "my wife is adverse for sarcasm in the same way that sheet is is adverse for a rear-wheel drive car; it just slides off with no grip whatsoever."

I do enjoy a good pun, and just like John West, I try to include one wherever I can.

SC

At karaoke one night after the end of a song one of the crowd went up and smilingly handed the singer a 20Bt note.

The singer took the note and responded with a high wai with hands together but fingers spread wide apart.

I guess they were both being sarcastic.