Where To Go In And Around Ubon

basjke

Hi,I take care for a 4 year old boy who lives in ubon.Once a month I try to visit him for the weekend and give him a good time by taking him around.However I live in pattaya so I don't know too much of the ubon area.I always take him to those playgrounds in big C and lotus aswell as to the public park in ubon.

But that is about all the places I take him frequently and it must get boring by the time.I know there are many musea and temples in and around Ubon but I doubt you can entertain a 4 year old with that.

So that's why I turn to this forum in the hope that some of you with little children who live in that area will read my post and provide me with some ideas to give the little guy a good time on my next trip.

Please let the suggestions flow.

Here is the best I could come up with. A tour map and suggested itineraries for Ubon and surrounding areas. Hope this helps. I scanned it into a .pdf acrobat file. If you have any problems opening or downloading the file then send me a PM and I'll send a different way.

Thank you very much Jay for taking the effort for scanning in that folder for me.However as I mentioned in the OP,I am aware of those cultural sight seeings but I doubt it is interesting for a 4 year old.What I am actually looking for are things like a zoo or a fish pond,maybe a swimming pool or theme park for children.Distance is not a real problem because I have a car as long as it is possible to make it a day trip.Most important is that he can enjoy himself.Thanks again for the reply and if you have some more ideas let them come.

There is or was a zoo in Ubon but I am unsure of the exact location. Also I have two sons myself and found that the Nevada hotel or Ubon International as its now renamed close to Tesco has a roof top swimming pool and its very clean and open for use by famillies and children for a small fee. Its never busy and a large sized pool so it should be visited if you have time. Some of the waterfalls are good for a swim also. Fishing can be done out at Sirinthon Dam or closer to Ubon city centre next to mun river where they also have floating restaurants. You can order food and sit and fish at the same time. Take your own fishing rod if you have one. There is also a temple we visited out close to sisaket on our last trip which is quite child friendly and has alot of animal statues and amuzing activities outdoors its called Prathat Ruang Rong. Failling all this you can take a look at the following web link for any other information:

www.weloveubon.com

There is or was a zoo in Ubon but I am unsure of the exact location. Also I have two sons myself and found that the Nevada hotel or Ubon International as its now renamed close to Tesco has a roof top swimming pool and its very clean and open for use by famillies and children for a small fee. Its never busy and a large sized pool so it should be visited if you have time. Some of the waterfalls are good for a swim also. Fishing can be done out at Sirinthon Dam or closer to Ubon city centre next to mun river where they also have floating restaurants. You can order food and sit and fish at the same time. Take your own fishing rod if you have one. There is also a temple we visited out close to sisaket on our last trip which is quite child friendly and has alot of animal statues and amuzing activities outdoors its called Prathat Ruang Rong. Failling all this you can take a look at the following web link for any other information:

www.weloveubon.com

There is a Tiger Zoo about 50 kms north of Ubon just before the town of Trakan Phuetphon. I have taken my kids and their cousins there about 2 or 3 years ago. Nothing like the zoo in BKK but still worth a visit. About 50 odd baht per person entry fee.

I have forgotten the number of the road to take but its on the Ubon - Khemarat road.

Enjoy

Thanks again Jay and Sezzo for taking the time to reply.

I will sure take him to the pool at the Nevada hotel next time as I know he loves it and will take a look at the temple in sisaket also.Jay do you know if you can rent fishing rods at the places you mentioned or somewhere else.Do you also know which of the waterfalls qualify for swimming?

To Sezzo,thank you for the location of the zoo I have a gps so now I know the road it will not be so difficult to locate it.

I will sure take him to the pool at the Nevada hotel next time as I know he loves it and will take a look at the temple in sisaket also.Jay do you know if you can rent fishing rods at the places you mentioned or somewhere else.Do you also know which of the waterfalls qualify for swimming?

To Sezzo,thank you for the location of the zoo I have a gps so now I know the road it will not be so difficult to locate it.

When in Ubon drive north on Chayankul rd. Turn right at the first traffic lights after Big C.

Follow the ring road (231) a couple of kms and there will be signs telling you to turn left towards Trakarn Phuetphon.

The tiger Zoo is on the right hand side just before Trakarn.

More info here:

http://www.ubonzoo.com/zoo/Trakarnzooubon.htm

When in Ubon drive north on Chayankul rd. Turn right at the first traffic lights after Big C.

Follow the ring road (231) a couple of kms and there will be signs telling you to turn left towards Trakarn Phuetphon.

The tiger Zoo is on the right hand side just before Trakarn.

More info here:

http://www.ubonzoo.com/zoo/Trakarnzooubon.htm

Thanks for the link to the zoo.From the pictures it looks good.I will take him there next time and sure he will like it.

Keep the ideas coming please.There must be more child friendly sites in such a big area.

Nobody else any ideas where in ubon to entertain a young boy.I thought there were some more farangs with kids living in that area.

Obviously not too many TV members with small children in Ubon. (and I'm one of them)

You could take him to the local fire station to have a look at the fire trucks.......................

or to the airport/airforce base to watch plains take off and land.......................

Or if you try the army base in Warin, they might take you for a ride in a jeep or Humvie? :o

I have my 3 year old boy here. Really nothing much for them to do in Ubon.

I took him to "Big C" in the archade area area there is a children's room where they can run around.

The big park in the city should have an area where water comes out of a fountain and sprays the children, but I don't know what time it is open.

I try to have him play with his relatives most of the time.

• 2 months later...

I know how you feel about the Ubon having fun part it gets a little boring after a while there is not much to do there at all, i spend most of my school holidays there to go visit my moms family i guess its still got to built up abit

Swimming pool in Don Klang,20 baht per day for children.Down a soi opposite

the big Krung Thai branch,next to Don Klang market.

Don Klang is just past the ring road,on the way to Muangsamsip or

Amnat Charoen

Edited by BlueScouse

i heard many stories about that swimming pool in don klang its meant to be dirty and not a good place to swim

New owners and the pool is clean.

Have swimming lessons for children,plus a couple of employees in the water at all times.

My daughter and her friends go there.

If it was dirty and unhygenic,my wife wouldn't let her go.

There is also a little paddling pool for youngsters

Edited by BlueScouse

I've never heard about this place where is it located and do you have any photos as I might take my two children there next time. The pool we were using was at the Nevada hotel on the roof which was fine.

I'll dig out some photos and have a go at posting them tomorrow.Just had a few beers

watching Everton win and now time for bed.

Nobody else any ideas where in ubon to entertain a young boy.I thought there were some more farangs with kids living in that area.

Drive east to Phibun Mangsahan (Route 217, about 45km). In Phibun, just before the bridge over the Mun, turn right (follow the signs to the post office). Go past the post office to the car park at the end of the road. Kaeng Saphue rapids are there in the dry season, but all year there are a couple of ponds, full of huge catfish. You can buy a bag of fish food for 10 baht and kids love to throw the food in and watch the pile of fish clamouring to get the food. Then you can get some trinkets and snacks at the little stalls, and have a picnic lunch by the river - don't bring anything, you can hire a mat and be served food and drinks on the spot.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Mike

post-13763-1225648769_thumb.jpgpost-13763-1225649112_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=67824:April_2008_037.jpg]OK.2nd attempt,hope it's not as futile as the first go!

If you look on Google Earth Map,the swimming pool can be seen at 15 degrees,17 minutes 4.24 seconds North and

104 degrees 50 minutes 13.73 minutes East.

post-13763-1225649250_thumb.jpg