Tourist Inn Bread Test.

sceadugenga

1st Visit

Price at 35B for the Wholemeal was good.

The ultimate test of a plain cheese sandwich was passed with flying colors.

I would describe the taste and texture as close to Australian "supermarket" bread as I have tasted outside that country. (I like Aussie supermarket bread).

A couple of minor niggles.

The bread I was given as wholemeal was actually whole grain. Mai pen rai, I like whole grain but the sceadugengan grow increasingly cranky in their old age and like to get what they ask for.

The lady offered to slice it for me which I accepted and the slices were very thick. No doubt toast lovers don't mind this, it tends to make a sandwich rather bread heavy though. (I know, next time I'll ask).

2nd Visit.

I bought two large white loaves, the bread was too fresh to slice so I took it home uncut. They were that long I cut them in half and froze them individually.

It toasts really well, retaining moisture on the inside and passed the butter and vegemite test. (The only true test of toast).

Decision.

I'll certainly continue to patronise this shop.

Finally, Northern farm appears to be under a new manager who has made the shop more retail orientated. Chops and steaks are frozen individually and hamburgers available in packs of three and five. Cheese is also cut and wrapped in small blocks. Everything has a price sticker on it.

Anyone know what’s going on with Don’s Foods new shop? Has it opened yet?

Edited by sceadugenga

I buy alternately the wholemeal and the white large loaf at 45bt. To freeze it I cut it fresh into 4 or 5 peices and then pop it into the freezer. This enables it to be split and thawed out a little at a time, rather than struggling to cut the frozen loaf. It is as good as fresh once thawed. I reckon it the best bread in the city.

By the way can you but vegemite in Crai? better still marmite.

The bread I was given as wholemeal was actually whole grain.

Are they not the same thing? :o

A quick check of Wiki reveals the reasons behind your confusion General.

In the US wholemeal and wholegrain bread ARE often the same thing.

In civilized countries where bread making is an art rather than another food producing chore, the grains are all reduced to flour for wholemeal bread, the "whole" grain including the husk or outer casing.

For wholegrain bread a quantity of the grain, wheat, oats, barley, whatever... is cooked into the bread in a whole or broken form. This gives the bread a certain "crunchiness".

In both types the fibre content from the grain is the same, the difference in the texture.

Sceadugenga (In schoolmaster mode).

Edited by sceadugenga

I buy alternately the wholemeal and the white large loaf at 45bt. To freeze it I cut it fresh into 4 or 5 peices and then pop it into the freezer. This enables it to be split and thawed out a little at a time, rather than struggling to cut the frozen loaf. It is as good as fresh once thawed. I reckon it the best bread in the city.

By the way can you but vegemite in Crai? better still marmite.

Check out Northern Farm lannaman, I have a feeling I've seen it there.

better still marmite please, laughing too much can cause coughing fits in men my age.

The bread I was given as wholemeal was actually whole grain.

Are they not the same thing? :o

A quick check of Wiki reveals the reasons behind your confusion General.

In the US wholemeal and wholegrain bread ARE often the same thing.

In civilized countries where bread making is an art rather than another food producing chore, the grains are all reduced to flour for wholemeal bread, the "whole" grain including the husk or outer casing.

For wholegrain bread a quantity of the grain, wheat, oats, barley, whatever... is cooked into the bread in a whole or broken form. This gives the bread a certain "crunchiness".

In both types the fibre content from the grain is the same, the difference in the texture.

Sceadugenga (In schoolmaster mode).

Thanks for the lesson and both sound delicous to me.

I can't believe that you cover them with Vegi/marmite though! :D

Or thick cut soda bread, toasted on one side, with Dundee Orange Marmalade.

Or good German pumpernickel with a mild German or Danish white cheese, with a thin smear of fresh horseradish. Served with black tea.

Or a good French baguette, sliced diagonal, toasted, with good Normandy butter.

The possibilities are endless.... :o

Vegemite

Northern Farms haven't any. They didn't seem to be familiar with it. If they have it in Chiang Mai Branch they will let me know. Friendly new people there.

In the meantime a friend has given me a jar of his homemade tomato chutney. Aloy with gouda and Tourist's white.

Kippers.

Has anyone seen these in Chiang Rai? I bought a couple of cans of smoked herring in TOPS Chiang Mai, which in effect are kippers. About 120 baht (last year). I will ask TOPS SUPER here if they can order some.

What better than a toasted kipper sandwich with a touch of vegemite!

Kippers.

Has anyone seen these in Chiang Rai? I bought a couple of cans of smoked herring in TOPS Chiang Mai, which in effect are kippers. About 120 baht (last year). I will ask TOPS SUPER here if they can order some.

The only place I've ever seen genuine kippers is at Tops/Airport Chiang Mai, they were frozen boil in the bag ones and I took a pack to try and later regretted not having bought the lot.

I think I've seen the smoked herring in Tops, are they John West? If so they are not much like kippers. John West also do a "heat in the tin" kippers that are very nice. If you can persuade them to get those in I'll take a half dozen tins myself.

Regarding Vegemite, I'll give you a PM.

Kippers again

The ones I bought where at TOPS Kat San Kaew, they were canned and from Germany, labeled 'Smoked Herring'. I bought John West cans in England, and they were quite tasty. I'll talk to Tops here and maybe I can convince them they will have a few customers if they stock some.

Kippers.

The only place I've ever seen genuine kippers is at Tops/Airport Chiang Mai, they were frozen boil in the bag ones and I took a pack to try and later regretted not having bought the lot.

I think I've seen the smoked herring in Tops, are they John West? If so they are not much like kippers. John West also do a "heat in the tin" kippers that are very nice. If you can persuade them to get those in I'll take a half dozen tins myself.

Rimping always have 'Yorkies" boil in the bag Kippers.

Not only legal, they are that nice they should be made compulsory.

Enjoying this thread from the safe distance of Chiang Mai.

Kippers? Mmmmmm. Anyone tried Yorkies, available here at Rimping?

Re being "made compulsory" you remind me of someone who agreed with my addiction to genuine Kettle Chips (crisps) from the US, also at Rimping. It's the black pepper and salt version that turns me on the most.

"So good they are probably carcinogenic" said my friend.................!

Kippers.

Rimping always have 'Yorkies" boil in the bag Kippers.

Rimping at the Airport?

Or thick cut soda bread, toasted on one side, with Dundee Orange Marmalade.

Or good German pumpernickel with a mild German or Danish white cheese, with a thin smear of fresh horseradish. Served with black tea.

Or a good French baguette, sliced diagonal, toasted, with good Normandy butter.

The possibilities are endless.... :o

baked beans are yummy but the farts are endless..... :D

My all-time fave toast .. grilled sourdough toast .. like I used to get at the Omelette Parlor in the old San Francisco Airport. Grilled in butter and grated parmesan cheese .. I think it was parmesan. I always ordered a second slice. YUM!

Back to bread:

Today I went to the Tourist Inn to buy my usual bread, wholewheat at 35 baht. The girl was just bringing out some hot loaves and I had her bag one up for me, gave her 100 baht and was surprised when she only gave me 25 baht change. At that point the manager appeared and told me I had wholegrain at 75 baht a loaf. The loaves looked just the same, quite a price difference though!

The whole wheat is still 35 baht, and the large white 45 - good value. I just found it rather amazing that the wholegrain was so much more. So don't boycott the cheaper ones. The bread is the best in town, but maybe wholegrain is just for the wealthy!

I had a run to Chiang Mai yesterday. I got 2 white loaves and a large pumpernickel in Carrefour for 35B and 65B respectively, but smaller loaves. Makes a nice change though.

The Carrefour pate and peppered ham wrecked the shopping budget I'm sorry to say. :o

Edited by sceadugenga