Tourist Inn Bread Test.

sceadugenga

Back to bread:

Today I went to the Tourist Inn to buy my usual bread, wholewheat at 35 baht. The girl was just bringing out some hot loaves and I had her bag one up for me, gave her 100 baht and was surprised when she only gave me 25 baht change. At that point the manager appeared and told me I had wholegrain at 75 baht a loaf. The loaves looked just the same, quite a price difference though!

Where is the Tourist Inn? I live in Phayao and am not entirely familiar with CR. At least where I can buy farang food...other than Don's. Thanks. trex

Back to bread:

Today I went to the Tourist Inn to buy my usual bread, wholewheat at 35 baht. The girl was just bringing out some hot loaves and I had her bag one up for me, gave her 100 baht and was surprised when she only gave me 25 baht change. At that point the manager appeared and told me I had wholegrain at 75 baht a loaf. The loaves looked just the same, quite a price difference though!

Where is the Tourist Inn? I live in Phayao and am not entirely familiar with CR. At least where I can buy farang food...other than Don's. Thanks. trex

It's on Jetyot Road; from the new clock tower go along Jetyod past the bars and massages places (don't get distracted!), then pass Jetyot Temple on the right. Here the road becomes one way (8am to 6pm) so either enter the road from the other end, or park up by the temple and walk about 80 meters to the Tourist Inn which is on the right.

Bread still the same price. Wholewheat, whole grain and big white loaves - they will halve these, also opt for sliced or not. I buy unsliced cut then in half and freeze some, it freezes well.

The man in there is Japanese and speaks English.

In my opinion still the best bread in town.

Since my wife started baking bread once a week, I now have new loyalties. :) A while back we bumped into Pascal and Aom at BigC and it seems he is contemplating a move from Bangkok, back to Chiang Rai. I always liked his bread and wouldn't mind having some again.

As for Tourist Inn, it is also marked on the Chiang Rai Map, I believe.

I would certainly patronise a Pascal business again, he carried a number of other products besides his excellent bread.

I would also become frustrated (again) if I went around there and found he was closed for three days for his wife's nephew's birthday or Akha new year. :)

Edited by sceadugenga

Since my wife started baking bread once a week, I now have new loyalties. :) A while back we bumped into Pascal and Aom at BigC and it seems he is contemplating a move from Bangkok, back to Chiang Rai. I always liked his bread and wouldn't mind having some again.

As for Tourist Inn, it is also marked on the Chiang Rai Map, I believe.

Pascal's bagettes were good, also he did a tasty slolen at Xmas. Nice folks too.

I was in the Tourist Inn last week and the lady told me business had been terrible. I think she was talking about the guest house rather than the bakery. She still had large amounts of bread in stock and the two loaves of whole meal I bought were obviously several days old.

Now, I don't mind my bread a bit matured but for those that like it steaming out of the oven... caveat emptor.

I know she sells her breads to quite a few cafes. I also have noticed that the number of Farang tourists in town is down right now. Really down. So, some of her commercial customers probably aren't buying as much as before. She will need to cut back on production if she is to maintain her base of Farang regular customers. Fresh bread sells. Old bread disappoints people.

The BKK turmoil is showing its influence in CR. Too bad for that. CR is pretty much turmoil free. Sorry to see businesses here pay the price.

Sorry to see businesses here pay the price.

First they financially ruin a lot of people who had saving accounts in their country's banks

(Ice Save) and now they are stirring so fanatically in their geysers and vulcanos that the

smoke caused by it has made it almost impossible to fly without damaging the engines of

among others those airplanes that on a regular base drop of European tourists in Bangkok.

The result is that many flights have been cancelled lately and that many Europeans

decided to change destination and spent their Easter holidays closer to home.

And of those, who had their money in Islandic banks and still haven't got it back many might

even not have been able to afford a longer trip at the moment. That an average holiday in

Thailand, depending on the moment it has been booked, has become 15 to 20 % more

expensive compared to two months ago, might also play a role.

So Reykjavik, we are accusing you! You are duping our Chiang Rai shopkeepers, guesthouse

and restaurant managers, their staff and many, many more.

Yes I know, crime is on the rise in the bigger tourist places resulting in a lot of negative publicity

about Thailand as a holiday destination, and the unwillingness of the TAT to work together with

the private initiative in the tourist business is another factor that should not be neglected, but it

is on your exorbitant cooking that we put the blame.

Add to this that Chiang Rai during the end of April and the beginning of May (comparable to

second and third week of October) since years endures its lowest season and you know the

reason why you see tourist busses with forty seats transporting not more than five passengers.

Many potential tourists will remember the airport occupations of the yellow mob and the completely

inadequate way the authorities reacted on it (no information was given, hardly anything was done

to help the stranded passengers among which many older people and children).

They might think that what the yellow mob did could easily be repeated by the red mob.

So, and now I am of to the Tourist in to get my bread.

But warned as I am, I will secretly pinch it first ...

Limbo :)

So, and now I am of to the Tourist in to get my bread.

But warned as I am, I will secretly pinch it first ...

Limbo :)

35 Baht for a small whole wheat, cut in manageable slices.

It feels fresh, but as Chiang35baht already pointed out:

One has to be careful these days with bread: It can be the

cause of serious disturbances, not only inside the lower parts

of the body but inbetween the ears as well.

I will hit the loaf a couple of times with a hammer before I open

the plastic in which it came. A warned man counts double!

Both the lady and her Japanese husband looked as if they just

heard that they lost the ten million Baht they could have got for

the winning lottery ticket they just swallowed by mistake.

But that's the way they look since they opened their shop 555!

Even if they would sell a truck load of bread a day, their facial

expression would be the same, I guess.

Good bread, the only alternative I would now is the bread of

work@home opposite the First Church (the coffee shop, internetshop,

motorcycle rent shop, filmclub shop of Khun Tai and Khun Tawan

with among others excellent, no, superb tuna sandwiches).

But the bread of 7/11, Tesco and Big C could be worse as well, so

where are we really talking about ...?

Limbo :D

They cut the slices too thick for me, I slice it myself.

Older bread can be sliced thinner than fresh, the knife slides through it with the greatest of ease and daintily thin slices can be produced for toasting or sandwiches.

(Not to be confused with a sand witch, otherwise known as a Bedouin's mother-in-law).

They cut the slices too thick for me, I slice it myself.

Older bread can be sliced thinner than fresh, the knife slides through it with the greatest of ease and daintily thin slices can be produced for toasting or sandwiches.

(Not to be confused with a sand witch, otherwise known as a Bedouin's mother-in-law).

:)

Praise to those who can maintain a sense of humour in these trying and hot times....

First they financially ruin a lot of people who had saving accounts in their country's banks

(Ice Save) and now they are stirring so fanatically in their geysers and vulcanos that the

smoke caused by it has made it almost impossible to fly without damaging the engines of

among others those airplanes that on a regular base drop of European tourists in Bangkok.

The result is that many flights have been cancelled lately and that many Europeans

decided to change destination and spent their Easter holidays closer to home.

And of those, who had their money in Islandic banks and still haven't got it back many might

even not have been able to afford a longer trip at the moment. That an average holiday in

Thailand, depending on the moment it has been booked, has become 15 to 20 % more

expensive compared to two months ago, might also play a role.

So Reykjavik, we are accusing you!

Well, Ajarn Limbo You know there is no c in the Icelandic alphabet so when everybody asked for the return of their cash all they got was ash.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't go there often enough to know if this is regular but I got some dark wholewheat rolls & pumpernickel loaves today. Excellent.

In the gossip section... looks like the Japanese guy has joined a long list of foreigners leaving town with 1 bag & some mixed memories.

A few years back I saw three senior police officers putting a very tired and emotional farang on the Bangkok bus.

I'd imagine his main problem when he sobered up would be the lack of Chiang Rai memories. :lol:

Edited by sceadugenga

I don't go there often enough to know if this is regular but I got some dark wholewheat rolls & pumpernickel loaves today. Excellent.

In the gossip section... looks like the Japanese guy has joined a long list of foreigners leaving town with 1 bag & some mixed memories.

Japanese, not Norwegian ????