England

redrus

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Becks to boost England hopes with Prem return?

By Soccernet

October 17, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

David Beckham is reportedly eyeing up a return to the Premier League in a bid to cement his place in Fabio Capello's England squad.

GettyImages

The former skipper came on for Rooney on Wednesday.

The former captain, who played a brief role as a substitute in England's 3-1 win over Belarus on Wednesday, is facing the prospect of elimination from the end-of-season play-offs with his club side L.A. Galaxy, meaning his season could be over in two weeks.

Indeed, aside from a two-match Galaxy tour to New Zealand and Australia in December, Beckham is aware that he will play no club football until next April.

Having trained with Arsenal in January, the midfielder appears keen to return to England to boost his fitness levels and The Daily Telegraph reports that his advisers are currently in talks with Arsene Wenger's side again ahead of the friendly against Germany in Berlin on Nov 19.

Beckham would equal the 108-cap outfield record of World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore if he makes an appearance, but has been relegated to a bench-role with the emergence of Theo Walcott on the right side of midfield.

While a loan move to the Premier League is also a possibility, Beckham reiterated his desire to continue playing under the new regime of Capello which has brought England their best ever start to a World Cup qualifying campaign.

''There's a lot more seriousness around the England team - and it's paying off,'' Beckham said. ''It's not about anything but the football and at past competitions it has been about other things that have surrounded the England team.

''Now it's more about us being successful in a big competition. It's nice to be part of a team that's so confident and doing so well.

''In this England team, we've got players who are some of the best in Europe, even the world.

"Things are looking bright . . . and hopefully it continues. It's about time the country and the fans had something to look forward to.

Indeed, aside from a two-match Galaxy tour to New Zealand and Australia in December, Beckham is aware that he will play no club football until next April.

:o:D

Its like here in Oz. The season is pretty short , with a big gap in between. The league i play in starts the beginning of April and is finished by September.(if you make the playoffs) :D Where as when i played in Bangkok. Our season started beginning of October and went through till May. I must add that the playoffs are a fuc_kking stupid idea too.IMHO

Apart from 2 or 3 teams in the premiership, i think anyone of the rest of the teams would jump at the opportunity to sign him up.

If he was a horse his owner would be debating whether to shoot him or not.

The man has zero self awareness, the inventor of WAG'S and WAG culture has now said they were a distraction throughout his entire reign as captain.

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?B...mp;in_page_id=7

Apart from 2 or 3 teams in the premiership, i think anyone of the rest of the teams would jump at the opportunity to sign him up.

The man has zero self awareness, the inventor of WAG'S and WAG culture has now said they were a distraction throughout his entire reign as captain.

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?B...mp;in_page_id=7

Well nobody said footballers were geniuses. :o

But if you take away all the anti Beckham prejudices concerning his off the field nonsense, and just look at his performance on the pitch, whilst not being as good as he once was, he is still a player that as Boj says, would make the first team of a good number of Premiership sides.

The man has zero self awareness,

Yeah right. That's why he's got 107 England Caps, playing for G0d knows how many different England Managers. I'm a Man City fan, so have no particular legiance to Beckham but i cannot deny his talents, no matter who he played for.

The man has zero self awareness,

Yeah right. That's why he's got 107 England Caps, playing for G0d knows how many different England Managers. I'm a Man City fan, so have no particular legiance to Beckham but i cannot deny his talents, no matter who he played for.

Im not doubting that he was very talented, IMO he was overated as a player by Hello magazine but under-rated by real football fans, but his legs have gone he has not got even a little pace anymore he has none whatsoever, we get American Soccer on some obscure Sky channel and he looks finished to me, he is nothing more then a one trick pony that can cross a ball.

As for the 107 caps i read an article comparing him with Moore and Charlton, these players got their 107 caps as starting players, not as a marketing gimmick to come on for the last 5 minutes of a game that is already won.

SWP and Walcott should both get a game on the right hand side before Beckham does.

:o:D :D :D

Davies: FA targeted Ferguson for England job

October 17, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Sir Alex Ferguson was targeted on no fewer than three occasions for the England manager's job, according to former Football Association executive director David Davies.

GettyImages

Sir Alex could have nurtured Wayne Rooney for England, as well as United.

Davies, who spent more than a decade at the FA before leaving his post two years ago, revealed the Manchester United boss was first in the frame after Terry Venables quit in 1996.

But Davies says Ferguson dismissed the approach then and also after the departures of Glenn Hoddle and Kevin Keegan in 1999 and 2000, respectively.

"After Terry Venables, I wanted Fergie," Davies told the Herald. "I was absolutely clear he was the best person for the job. I was a personal friend of Sir Roland Smith, then chairman of Manchester United, and he didn't totally kick the idea into touch. I was vaguely encouraged."

But Davies added: "I don't think he ever came near becoming the England manager.

"The idea of Alex leading England out at Hampden is somewhat far-fetched. He is a very, very proud Scot. He was, I think, tickled by the idea, though.

"When I recruited Keegan, I would have loved Ferguson to become manager. But the conversations were very brief."

Davies also claims the FA wanted former Scotland boss Andy Roxburgh to revolutionise how the game was run south of the border.

According to Davies, the UEFA technical director was headhunted from 2004 into 2005 to perform a similar role for England.

"We had a lot of enthusiasm for him," said Davies. "He was held in the highest regard by the FA and seen as a man who could improve the game here at grassroots and in terms of coaching.

"He was clearly committed to what he was doing so there was no way forward."

In further news, Ferguson has seconded Rio Ferdinand's description of England's 2006 World Cup camp entourage as "a circus".

The Scot indicated that he believed the 'WAG' culture surrounding the squad may have had a detrimental effect, commenting: "If Rio felt that was an encumbrance on the team, I am sure Fabio Capello is quite well aware of it... To succeed in football, you must have a certain discipline and make certain sacrifices."

Capello agrees with Ferguson's assessment regarding discipline and professionalism in his teams and preparation, and it is not thought likely that the Italian would tolerate a repeat performance, should England make it to South Africa in 2010.

Capello: Beckham is here to stay for England

October 18, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Fabio Capello insists David Beckham has a key role to play for the foreseeable future with England even if he is restricted to only cameo roles for the rest of his international career.

Beckham has overtaken Sir Bobby Charlton and moved to within one appearance of the 108-cap tally achieved by World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore.

The 33-year-old made late substitute appearances against Kazakhstan and Belarus in England's last two World Cup qualifiers.

There has been criticism in some quarters that the Los Angeles Galaxy star is picking up 'cheap' caps for his country after failing to start any of the four competitive games during the current campaign.

But Capello is adamant Beckham's inclusion in his squad is justified as much for his off-the-field influence as the contribution he makes on the pitch.

And the Italian hinted Beckham could start the friendly international against Germany in Berlin next month, although he may not select him for the possible February match with Spain as it will be the close season for Galaxy.

There was a similar scenario last February when Beckham was not included in Capello's plans for the opening game of his reign against Switzerland at Wembley.

Capello said: ``For the next game, it is possible, Beckham will play, I don't know. For the game against Spain, if he is not playing, he will not be in the squad.

``But, when I decide the squad, it is not for the few minutes that David Beckham plays. He is good for the group. This is important. In fact, this is very important - his influence.

``He knows everything. He transmits confidence in the other players. This is very important for the group.

``I have to choose the first XI and at the moment I choose Theo Walcott and Shaun Wright-Phillips who are playing well.

``Beckham might have played five minutes against Belarus but, for the next game, it is possible he might play all the game. I have to decide the best 11.''

As regards criticism over the way Beckham was adding to his caps tally, Capello is clearly unconcerned.

He said: ``I don't know how many caps he has. For me, it is not interesting to record everything. It is not in my mind. My mind is the victory, the game, the best 11. I don't think about it.

``Does Beckham deserve to be in the company of Charlton and Moore? I don't know. I don't know how many games they played.''

Capello has been pleased to work with his squad for two blocks of 10 days during the past month via back-to-back qualifiers with Andorra and Croatia and now Kazakhstan and Belarus.

But he is unsure whether England will have the same energy and superior fitness levels when they resume their qualifying campaign against the Ukraine on April 1.

He said: ``It is frustrating to now have six months without a competitive game but we knew this. We have been lucky because we have played two games twice. Some have only played three matches.

``We have to wait a lot now. At the moment we are in very good physical condition because we always play better in the second half of games because the other teams play strong and press a lot.

``In the last 20 minutes, they are competed out and we are strong. Whether we will be the same physical condition in April, I don't know.''

Despite England's flying start to their group, which has yielded a maximum 12 points and 13 goals, Capello believes there is still room for improvement.

He said: ``I am still looking for improvement. There are areas we can still improve on.

``We have good players. Now we have confidence. But we have to play every game like the final. I have said this to the players.''

MLS insist Beckham move will only be short term

October 23, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Major League Soccer have confirmed David Beckham is in talks over a possible loan move to AC Milan but insisted any deal would only be short term.

AC Milan confirmed on Wednesday their desire to sign Beckham in January with initial speculation being that Beckham would head to Italy for six months.

However, in a statement issued late on Wednesday night, MLS said the deal would be restricted to around two to three months to allow Beckham to return to Los Angeles in time for the start of the 2009 MLS season in late March.

"Discussions have taken place between AC Milan and the Los Angeles Galaxy regarding the possibility of a short-term loan agreement that would allow David Beckham to play for AC Milan during the MLS offseason,'' MLS commissioner Don Garber said.

"Those discussions are ongoing. David remains an LA Galaxy player and will be here for the start of the 2009 MLS season.''

The Los Angeles Galaxy have so far declined to comment on any possible deal.

Beckham, 33, wants to remain match fit through the MLS off-season in order to keep alive his chances of playing for England.

Beckham was told by England boss Fabio Capello that he would not be considered for the planned friendly in Spain if he was not playing club football at the time of the match.

A move for two to three months would have obvious benefits for Beckham, who with 107 caps is 18 appearances short of equalling the England record held by Peter Shilton.

Only last week, Capello stressed Beckham has a key role to play for the foreseeable future with England, but that hinges on him playing games, the more competitive the better.

Beckham will be submitting to intense scrutiny if he moves to Milan, given he has spent more than a year in the relatively weak American league, and Capello - who had two spells as boss of the Rossoneri - would pay keen attention to his performances.

Beckham is under contract with the LA Galaxy until 2012 but their season finishes on Sunday.

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said: "We are speaking with his agent but we believe he will arrive for some months on a free loan.

"We shall register him for some months and then he will leave. Beckham has chosen Milan. Our squad is ultra-competitive and it will remain this way, but Beckham is something different and intriguing.''

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti said: "For me it will be a pleasure, Beckham is a serious athlete, a great professional.

"If he is available for four months with us, we will be very happy.''

Former Milan and England striker Luther Blissett believes the move to Italy would pay off for Beckham.

"If he's really going to be part of this England revolution he's got to be playing regular, top-class football with top-class players,'' Blissett told Setanta Sports News.

"I think he'd make a great addition to what they have. And for Beckham to be playing alongside the likes of Kaka and (Clarence) Seedorf in midfield would be great for him as much as it would be for Milan.''

There can be no guarantee of Beckham playing every week, given Milan have Kaka, Seedorf, Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo to select from in midfield.

But a move taking him to Milan possibly until March, allowing him to return to the United States for the start of the MLS campaign, would at least allow him to see some first-team action and remain match fit.

England have a busy start to 2009. They have a probable friendly against Spain lined up for February, plus a home friendly against Slovakia in March, and World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine in April, and Kazakhstan and Andorra in June.

Milan expect Beckham's proposed move to bring more supporters through the San Siro turnstiles.

Galliani told acmilan.com: "Beckham will most likely bring more fans rather than fewer ones to the stadium.''

And sports business expert Professor Simon Chadwick, commenting on behalf of Weber Shandwick Sport, said: "Brand Beckham is still a global phenomenon and even in these difficult economic times, his star appeal in parts of the world such as the Middle East and Asia will see AC Milan netting up to £10million, just for a short stay.

"Many of the world's finest footballers have represented the Rossoneri, but Beckham is in his own league when it comes to global impact.''

Beckham's prospective loan move has been welcomed by Serie A players as a signing that would benefit the league.

"We all know he is a great champion,'' said Udinese's Italy striker Antonio di Natale. "He will have no problem playing in our league, the league will be even better with him playing in it. We look forward to seeing him.''

• 4 weeks later...

From the Daily Mail

Injured Gerrard joins Rio and Rooney on sidelines for Germany clash

Steven Gerrard is the latest England player to withdraw from Wednesday's friendly with Germany after the Liverpool midfielder was diagnosed with a torn muscle, sustained during yesterday's 2-0 victory over Bolton.

The England vice-captain has been ruled out for seven to 10 days, and could return in time for Liverpool's next game - the meeting with Fulham at Anfield next Saturday.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: 'Steven picked up an injury in yesterday's game at Bolton.

'A scan this morning has confirmed a tear in the adductor magnus muscle in his right leg, and he is expected to be out between seven to 10 days,' he added.

Already devoid of Manchester United stars Rio Ferdinand (back) and Wayne Rooney (chest infection and a calf strain), Fabio Capello must wait on captain John Terry, who has a scan tomorrow.

The spine of Fabio Capello's injury-hit squad is further weakened by the loss of the influential Gerrard; and with the likes of Chelsea's Ashley and Joe Cole, Manchester United's Wes Brown and Emile Heskey of Wigan also on the sick list, the Italian will likely field an experimental side in Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

With four Aston Villa players among Capello's squad, boss Martin O'Neill's belief that the fixture is 'pointless' will be tested, while David Beckham, who has not played a competitive fixture since October 26, was not selected by Capello to face Joachim Low's side.

the daily mail really is a rubbish newspaper. since when was gerrard england vice-captain?

Don't know.......but it is on the BBC website as well ??

terry's captain, ferdinand's vice-captain. crap reporting that.

Stevie Gerrard has been vice-captain in the past under McClaren, but now, as StevieH stated, Ferdinand is vice-captain.

the daily mail really is a rubbish newspaper. since when was gerrard england vice-captain?

Don't know.......but it is on the BBC website as well ??

terry's captain, ferdinand's vice-captain. crap reporting that.

Stevie Gerrard has been vice-captain in the past under McClaren, but now, as StevieH stated, Ferdinand is vice-captain.

I think we all agree on this point, now can someone please email the BBC twits

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rooney out but Becks set to equal Moore tally

By Steve Tongue-Independant

Sunday, 8 February 2009

Capello says it is time for 'football to come home'

post-16343-1234096092_thumb.jpg

The England manager Fabio Capello has cemented his relationship with Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson by leaving Wayne Rooney out of Wednesday's friendly match against the European champions Spain in Seville.

But David Beckham, enjoying a profitable loan spell with Milan, is in the squad and is likely to equal Bobby Moore's total of 108 caps, probably as one of the six substitutes Capello intends using.

Last night he also named James Milner and Luke Young among the growing Aston Villa contingent, as well as Everton's Phil Jagielka and West Ham's Carlton Cole and Robert Green. Among those dropping out are Scott Parker, Darren Bent, Curtis Davies, Joleon Lescott and Scott Carson. Rooney is expected to be a substitute for United at Upton Park today, but Capello believes it is too early to pick him after three-and-a-half weeks out with a hamstring strain. That leaves Emile Heskey and Gabriel Agbonlahor, now Villa team-mates, as a possible starting pair in attack.

There is also an element of keeping onside with leading managers during a busy period for English clubs. "It's not a fantastic time [for] this game because a lot of teams play the FA Cup, play the Premier League," Capello said. "This is one time when it is possible some players will be tired. I try to help the manager. Also the manager, he has to help me."

When Capello picked his first England squad a year ago, Beckham was out of season with the LA Galaxy, out of fitness and apparently out of favour. David Bentley took his place in the squad and the team, and was widely deemed the best player in a laboured 2-1 win over Switzerland. Yet Bentley has neverstarted another international, Beckham walking straight back into the side and even briefly reclaiming the captain's armband at the end of last season.

Shrewdly switching to Capello's old club Milan on loan this winter, he has improved his fitness and impressed both his club and country's coaches. The Italian side now wish to keep him, though the Galaxy last night told them to improve upon an offer of £6.7 million.

So Capello found himself following predecessors Glenn Hoddle, Kevin Keegan, Sven Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren in having to calm another outburst of Beckham-mania. "It's incredible," he said. "We have to play against Spain, and not only to speak about David or the other players. Why not the 23 players? For me, all the players are very important."

Theo Walcott and, after he was injured, Shaun Wright-Phillips have started the most recent games ahead of the 33-year-old Beckham, whose last four England appearances have been as a substitute, totalling only 30 minutes between them. But Capello was still prepared to admit: "Beckham is a very important player. The form of David is OK now, I've watched him in one game in Milan and [italo] Galbiati and Franco Baldini saw his other games. He is fit now. Every player in the squad has to play, not just train. This is important for David and for us. He is better than he was six months ago."

He insisted it was too early to consider the possibility of Beckham still being around for the 2010 World Cup, which England are well placed to reach, and as for the chances of equalling Bobby Moore's record of 108 caps for an outfield player on Wednesday: "I never think about this when I choose a player or make a substitution."

The bookmakers do, and have him 3-1 on to start the game, never mind picking up another cap at some stage. It is not a tempting bet at those odds, especially since Wright-Phillips should be the man in possession after an excellent performance in the stunning 2-1 victory over Germany in November.

The Manchester City player will discover tomorrow if he is to be banned by the Football Association for kicking out in retaliation at Stoke's Rory Delap, but these days club suspensions do not affect England selection.

Milner, who also plays on the right of midfield, is picked at last after collecting a record number of Under-21 caps. His inclusion, and Jagielka's, are less of a surprise than that of Cole, who just before Christmas seemed to have lost all confidence before embarking on a sudden scoring burst. The list is bad news for Gary Neville, who would have hoped to have regained his place ahead of Luke Young, and for Carson, who was at fault for Germany's goal.

Even without the injured Cesc Fabregas, who did not always start under Luis Aragones at the European Championships last summer, Spain have a formidable squad. England will hardly be sorry if Rafa Benitez can persuade his countryman Vicente del Bosque not to use Fernando Torres for long. With Rio Ferdinand due to return alongside John Terry, the defence will have their hands full coping with David Villa, the Valencia striker who scored in each of Spain's opening four World Cup qualifiers, all of which have been won.

England squad

Goalkeepers: R Green (West Ham), J Hart (Man City), D James (Portsmouth).

Defenders: W Bridge (Man City), A Cole (Chelsea), R Ferdinand (Man Utd), P Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Portsmouth), J Terry (Chelsea), M Upson (West Ham), L Young (Villa).

Midfielders: D Beckham (LA Galaxy), G Barry (Villa), M Carrick (Man Utd), S Downing (Middlesbrough), F Lampard (Chelsea), J Milner (Villa), S Wright-Phillips (Man City), A Young (Villa).

Strikers: G Agbonlahor (Villa), C Cole (West Ham), P Crouch (Portsmouth), E Heskey (Villa).

redrus

Surely England's number 1 and 2 goalkeepers should be Green and Kirkland.

if kirkland wasn't made of porcelain he'd be number one by now.

i'd give them to cudicini and almunia. :o

Agree about Kirkland..

I watch Green every week obviously & love him to death but he still worries me, commanding his box & crosses..

I used to rate Carson but he's recently making James look calamity free..

What's happened to Foster ??

There seems to be a Pole ahead of him at Mna Ure these days unless he's somewhere that i don't know of..

& Carlton Cole in the England Squad ?? Can't see it being the case for the Qualifying Squads but fair play to Capello for having a look at Players in Friendlies rather than in those Squads & if anyone doubts the reason why International Friendlies are needed, it is so the National Team Managers can look at the likes of Cole, Mancienne previously, Hart, Agbonlahor, Milner etc in an International Environment, rather than having a look at them in the read deal Games..

Agree about Kirkland..

I watch Green every week obviously & love him to death but he still worries me, commanding his box & crosses..

There seems to be a Pole ahead of him at Mna Ure these days unless he's somewhere that i don't know of..

& Carlton Cole in the England Squad ?? Can't see it being the case for the Qualifying Squads but fair play to Capello for having a look at Players in Friendlies rather than in those Squads & if anyone doubts the reason why International Friendlies are needed, it is so the National Team Managers can look at the likes of Cole, Mancienne previously, Hart, Agbonlahor, Milner etc in an International Environment, rather than having a look at them in the read deal Games..

I thought Carlton Cole looked pretty good against Man U at the weekend. I'd like to see him partnered with Agbonlahor, see how they do together.

David James has really gone down hill this season. Last season he was on fire. But the goals he conceded against Liverpool at the weekend were terrible. Was he trying to save Kuyt's shot by shrugging?

I would say that Green it probably the England #1 at the moment. Let's be honest the only reason we all like Hart is because he's young (and looks young) and we all dream of "what could be"... but i have a feeling that "could be" is as far as he'll develop.

Agree about Kirkland..

I thought Carlton Cole looked pretty good against Man U at the weekend. I'd like to see him partnered with Agbonlahor, see how they do together.

David James has really gone down hill this season. Last season he was on fire. But the goals he conceded against Liverpool at the weekend were terrible. Was he trying to save Kuyt's shot by shrugging?

I would say that Green it probably the England #1 at the moment. Let's be honest the only reason we all like Hart is because he's young (and looks young) and we all dream of "what could be"... but i have a feeling that "could be" is as far as he'll develop.

Cole did have a good Game on Sunday, youre right..

I ma very/too over critical of him but to be honest, i don't have much faith in him in front of Goal, i think his all round play can be quality of times but he's a Striker ultimately & he really, really has to work on his finishing more if he can even be considered for England Friendly Squads...

I'm not a Hart Fan to tell you the truth, never have been & really, Green aside & the form that both James & Carson are in, i can't see too many options aside from Green who again i am maybe too critical of him cos i watch him week in week out..

If only he was 2 or 3 inches bigger & would command his box or even 6 yard box better, tyen i'd have no hesitation of him playing for England as number 1 all the time, but he's not & he doesn't..

Just noticed it's a 04:00 KO Thai time so i've turned the alarm off, the 7 hour time difference with Games at 3 is bad enough for me getting back to sleep after but this is just a complete no no & i'd rather not feel dead all day tomorrow...

I bet your glad now you didn't stay up Singha? :o

Spain 2 England 0

David Beckham won his 108th cap but England's unbeaten run came to an uninspiring end as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat against reigning European Champions Spain.

The best side in the world, according to Fifa rankings, took the spoils in the friendly encounter courtesy of goals either side of half-time from Valencia's David Villa and Athletic Bilbao's highly-rated frontman Fernando Llorente.

Beckham started the match on the bench but was summoned to join the fray at half-time to equal Bobby Moore's appearance record for an England outfield player.

With a carnival atmosphere forming an ideal backdrop to the first international to be staged in Seville for a decade, Spain started the game much the brighter, with their quick feet and intelligent one-touch football giving England the run around.

However, the visitors settled quickly and were soon able to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Emile Heskey was proving to be a handful up front, winning everything in the air, while his Aston Villa team-mate and international strike partner Gabriel Agbonlahor scuffed a volley just past the post.

John Terry then saw a glancing header flash wide, with Stewart Downing's deliveries from set-pieces causing the Spaniards all sorts of problems.

A slight knock to Shaun Wright Phillips had Beckham off his seat moments later, but the iconic midfielder was forced to bide his time in his pursuit of an historic 108th cap.

Meanwhile, England's bright start was beginning fade and they soon found themselves pushed onto the back foot.

Fernando Torres had a snap-shot deflected over the top and Marcos Senna tested David James' handling with an ambitious drive from distance.

Villa then had the ball in the net on 26 minutes as he latched onto a clever pass from Andres Iniesta, but he was adjudged to have strayed offside.

A lapse in concentration from James, as he fumbled a high ball to the feet of Torres, had English hearts racing, but the Portsmouth keeper was bailed out by a fine block from Phil Jagielka.

The goal was coming, though, and it duly arrived on 36 minutes when Villa showed nimble feet inside the box to brush off two white shirts and calmly convert for the sixth successive game in the colours of his country.

Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos came close to building on that lead before the break, but the advantage remained a slender one heading into the interval.

Beckham's big moment then arrived at the start of the second half, with the former Three Lions skipper stepping off the bench to draw level with Moore as England's most-capped outfield player.

The hosts showed no signs of letting up as the game got under way once more, with Ramos' buccaneering breaks threatening much but delivering little.

As is custom in such games, substitutions then began to break up the fluidity, with fresh faces taking their time to grow accustomed to the pace of proceedings and only succeeding in slowing it down.

One man who continued to illuminate the game, even during the slight lulls, was Xavi, with the Barcelona man's vision and passing ability keeping Terry and co on their toes.

England's defence were able to rest a little easier once Torres joined the already departed Villa on the bench, with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez also likely to have been among those glad to see the baby-faced striker trudge off.

However, Fabio Capello's side continued to do themselves few favours with their inability to retain the ball for prolonged periods and invited Spain to push forward at every given opportunity.

Such a cavalier approach did leave holes at the back, though, and Wright-Phillips fired into the midriff of Pepe Reina at the end of flowing England counter attack.

Frank Lampard also worked the Liverpool keeper with a firm header 15 minutes from time, but his effort lacked direction and was easily kept out.

Carlton Cole then came on in place of Agbonlahor to win his first cap, but the towering West Ham striker was unable to replicate his recent fine form at club level.

It was, instead, another second half substitute who wrapped up the game with seven minutes left on the clock.

Llorente, who had entered the game in place of Torres, justified his billing as one of Europe's hottest properties with a thumping header from a Xavi free-kick.

Cole did see a sliding effort cleared off the line by the backtracking Carlos Marchena as timed ticked away, but England never looked like rescuing a positive result.

Edited by Seapok