Genuine Qualifications

Tom Kagai

When seeking a post teaching, is it beneficial to get my degree, TEFL and other certificates legalised so's they can be seen to be genuine or doesn't that add any value?

I'm aware that you can get certrificates etc. legalised through the Foreign Office of my home country and if it improves my chances, I'll do so. If not, then it would be unnecessary expense.

Thanks for any tips. :o

What does "legalised" mean?

Original transcripts are the order of the day here- usually there's some sign they're original, like a seal or a special background that can't be copied. Technically, a fully original transcript should be mailed directly from the institution issuing it TO the receiving employer- some employers try to demand this, but on Thai timelines it doesn't work very well.

Maybe in the states we would say "notarized?" I'm not aware of anyone notarizing their certs.... how would the government offices begin to know if the the certs were legal or not? And then, how would you prove the notarization was legit.? Sounds like you're getting into an infinite loop here, and no one I know has ever had to do what you're asking.

One thing that might be of use is that if your grad. cert. or transcript has any Latin or Greek on it, you might get an official translation from your school- I've been through the stupidity of a demand here to get my "Artium Baccalaureate Summa Cum Laude" officially translated by an official Thai government Latin translator (and guess how many of those there are?)

"Steven"

I didnt have any problems with that notorising things but I did have a problem with inititals.

I have 2 middle names and on the transcript it has no middle names but on the college cert it had the initials. So they didnt believe it was for the same person so I had to get a letter saying I was one person not two!!! :D:D

Add in that one had the course initials and the certificate had the course in full and you guessed it, another letter from the college was required. AAARGGGHHHH! :o

What does "legalised" mean?

The company I work for at the moment in the UK has a Thai 'agent'. This week I had to renew his agreement at the request of the Thai MOD (I deal with the Air Force).

Updating his agreement was straightforward, basically I changed the date. However, Thai authorities then require:

i) Certified original by member of Notary Public :D

ii) Notary Public stamp then had to be certified by the UK Foreign Office legal Dept. :o

iii) UK Foreign Office stamp THEN had to be approved by going to the Thai Embassy in London in person(!) :D

So yes, this was my first experience of Thai overkill.

Anyway, all this did get me wondering about my own quals. (I'm actively planning to emigrate) but you guys have reassured me and I won't go that far. I appreciate though, that it's not over til it's over.

Thanks guys.

Put it this way it wouldn't hurt to do it. I know a fair few people that have had their degrees misplaces by the school (and even the MoE) allegedly (sp?)...so if you can avoid giving them the originals so much the better.

Also I've known people to have similar problems with degrees and TEFL certs....if the name ain't the same as in the passport (even just a middle name or initial!).....you quite often have problems!

As for transcripts, I didn't think the original post was referring to that. Is it true that most UK schools don't issue transcripts?

My transcripts are semi-legible, and there are some failed courses on there that I wouldn't want scrutinized. I'm teaching mathematics without more than an introductory algebra course showing on my transcript, if that.