Passport Expiration Before Visa

I am due to renew my retirement visa next week. All set with the embassy letter etc;. I just noticed that my passport will expire before the visa. Is this a problem? Anybody have this happen to them? Since the time it would take to get a new passport will be well after my current visa expires, what should I do?

I went for my extension of permission to stay last March but my passport expired in October. They gave me an extension until October.

I got a new passport in July and went to Immigration to have the visa transferred to the new passport. I had to wait there for about 5 hours but, when they finally gave me my passports back, they and added the time until next March.

The only problem with getting a new passport was the hassle of having the visas transferred. But, other than the fact that it cost me some time (and I have enough of that), there was no real difficulty. Just took the second trip to Suan Plu.

That's true, Jimjim, but in this particular case when the OP wrote retirement visa he meant retirement extension, ie an annual extension of stay applied for at an immigration office in Thailand.

--

Maestro

please note if you also need re-entry permit it will carry your passport expiration date and NOT be extended on your new passoprt.

As a result you will need to buy a new re-entry permit to have it in line with your retirement extension.

I did not know this and got this problem: a re-entry permit expiring before the retirement extension. Left the kingdom before the re-entry permit expiration AND lost the retirement extension on returning to the kingdom because the permission to stay is set in accordance with the re-entry permit day.