A "different" Corned Beef

This was my dinner last night... mmmmm....

Sauteed lots of onions and tomatoes in olive oil until toasted (to give it sorta a charred flavor), then fried the corned beef in it.

:D

Will still try the traditional corned beef sandwich next time, as recommended by other posters. :D

By the way, how'dya like my new 30" Circulon pan? :o

post-34215-1219725504_thumb.jpg

post-34215-1219725551_thumb.jpg

Edited by junkofdavid2

what happened on the right, fall asleep with the stove on?

:o

I must confess, I love it like that. (very seared)

I actually bought that heavy Circulon pan specifically because the cheap light pans lose their heat so quickly that I can't achieve that level of searing.

Oh, also added some soy sauce for an Asian twist. :D

As with my steaks, I also love it super seared (almost burned) on the outside, but medium rare on the inside. For this reason, I intentionally have to cook my steak while still semi-frozen.

:D

I run the exact same thing Analon - Meyer - Circulon. Sold at Central Paragon Emporium etc.

It is aluminum so it won't work with the new induction cookers.

Get the Meyer Steel for that. All made in Thailand so no foreign exchange.

The corned beef? From a can?

John (our friend above) calls the way you saute the onions & peppers & tomatoes "caramelize". A very descriptive term.

John we are after a juicy burger, not a shoe sole.

Looking forward to eating some corned beef at Eurogormet Bistro. Sliced not canned.

Now I know why our Burger didn't have the "perfect" flavor for hm :o next time I'll ask the staff to get out the flame-thrower :D

Think you're confused JohnBKKK... I never commented on your burgers ever, although I did try your Reuben. Must be some other poster. Looks like you're harboring his post in ya though. :D

But yes, I would like a flamed burger which is very charred on the outside but pink on the inside. :D

Now I know why our Burger didn't have the "perfect" flavor for hm :o next time I'll ask the staff to get out the flame-thrower :D

Think you're confused JohnBKKK... I never commented on your burgers ever, although I did try your Reuben. Must be some other poster. Looks like you're harboring his post in ya though. :D

But yes, I would like a flamed burger which is very charred on the outside but pink on the inside. :D

Hmmmm so there is more than one about :D who likes his food kind a cremated on the outside yet raw or pink in the middle.. sorry :(

Me too. That is exactly how I want my burgers...

My technique for that type of burger is to make it thick, and to throw it into a super hot heavy pan while the burger is still frozen.

Has to be a heavy pan so that it doesn't lose heat quickly from the cold burger patty; and patty has to be cold so that the inner part doesn't cook as quickly. :D

By the way, it ain't exactly "safe" to eat burgers that way due to salmonella and E-Coli. I had myself vaccinated for E-Coli, salmonella, typhoid, cholera, hepatitis etc. (the works!) all for a very low price at the Bangkok Red Cross. Also feel safer eating on the street nowadays, and never get travelers diarrhea no more! Knock on wood... :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Me too. That is exactly how I want my burgers...

My technique for that type of burger is to make it thick, and to throw it into a super hot heavy pan while the burger is still frozen.

Has to be a heavy pan so that it doesn't lose heat quickly from the cold burger patty; and patty has to be cold so that the inner part doesn't cook as quickly. :D

By the way, it ain't exactly "safe" to eat burgers that way due to salmonella and E-Coli. I had myself vaccinated for E-Coli, salmonella, typhoid, cholera, hepatitis etc. (the works!) all for a very low price at the Bangkok Red Cross. Also feel safer eating on the street nowadays, and never get travelers diarrhea no more! Knock on wood... :D

hmmmm you are forgetting "Lysteria" - see recent news in Canada with a number of death's ... :o and the bad things that happen within burned meat causing carciogenics to develop ...

Decided to elaborate a little ... all in the cause of friendly advise .... corned beef, bacon or any other "corned" ( saltcured ) products are perfectly save if produced according to European or US FDA regulations and are not heated above 200C - when heated above 200C a chemical process takes place causing "Nitrosamines" to develop which, if taken in regularly over long periods of time can cause cancer - ergo - fry your bacon slowly over low heat or "bake it in an oven at 180C - not only is the result far better, its also healthier.

Do not "cremate" your corned Beef or Burger - no Nitrite is used in making Burgers but its a natural part of any plant or animal - you could not live without it and that's why one should not "burn" ones food :D

FDA regulations state these days that the use of saltpeter is OUT and when the safer nitrite is used, sodium erythorbate which is quite expensive needs to be added (another natural chemical) that will stop any nitrosamines to develop if the food is handled correctly. This is one of the reasons why one should think twice about buying your bacon from your friendly hobby butcher or buy safe and pay a little more for a usually superior product, not only in health but also in texture and flavor.

I'm not at all into health food because it usually sucks but where one can avoid risks, why not. We even use very expensive German, imported wood for smoking our sausages and bacon etc.. instead of locally available cheap wood because the German stuff is tested and FDA approved and we can be sure that there are no chemicals or heavy metals contained in the wood that would endanger our customers. Besides the fact that it develops a fantastic flavor and we also use it when charcoal grilling our Burgers withour "burning" them :D

John