Yellow Tubes

tatom

I just bought a 4 foot yellow neon mosquito light. It works great, not a single bug when its on! 440 baht, but worth it. Evenings on the patio are much more pleasant and I leave it on all night for the dog.

There is something I dont understand though. The only yellow bug lights I see around, are in cow sheds. Good for the cows, for sure. But in our small village, and surrounding villages, the people sit outside at night under a white light. Ive done that and the bugs are unreal! Why wouldnt they use a bug light? There have been reports of malaria here and 1 death in the next village.

The box the yellow tube comes in says its safe for humans and animals, and recomends use in homes, schools and hospitals. They are supposed to emit photons, whatever they are, and are safe.

I just bought a 4 foot yellow neon mosquito light. It works great, not a single bug when its on! 440 baht, but worth it. Evenings on the patio are much more pleasant and I leave it on all night for the dog.

There is something I dont understand though. The only yellow bug lights I see around, are in cow sheds. Good for the cows, for sure. But in our small village, and surrounding villages, the people sit outside at night under a white light. Ive done that and the bugs are unreal! Why wouldnt they use a bug light? There have been reports of malaria here and 1 death in the next village.

The box the yellow tube comes in says its safe for humans and animals, and recomends use in homes, schools and hospitals. They are supposed to emit photons, whatever they are, and are safe.

Where can you buy the yellow light. Is it a fixture or just the tube? Thanks in advance for your response.

I used the yellow light for years in the US but only recently found them in Thailand. I have three in use, my wife is not real fond of them because they are not as bright but for me I find the yellow light excelent for my eyes.

I however do not believe they are really great at keeping the blood suckers away.

The yellow tubes will fit in the standard 4 foot holder I purchased the set tube and holder. :o

They work because "bugs" (insects) see emitted light from the blue to Ultra-violet spectrum better than yellow. Yellow lights only emit about 5-10% light in the blue or ultra-violet spectrum. Now you know hy the use black lights in "bug zappers". Simply said "bugs" have a hard time seeing "yellow". They don't stop all bugs but they sure do help.

We bought ours from radio station 107 in Khon Kaen. The DJ makes extra money selling stuff on the side.

I dont believe it is just a matter of the light being yellow, because there are pleanty of mosquitos before I turn the light on. Then after 20 min. or so, there are hardly any. The package says it works because it emits "photons" Beats me what a photon is! I just know it works.

With malaria on the rise here, I think its a good idea. I got it once and it wasnt much fun!

We bought ours from radio station 107 in Khon Kaen. The DJ makes extra money selling stuff on the side.

I dont believe it is just a matter of the light being yellow, because there are pleanty of mosquitos before I turn the light on. Then after 20 min. or so, there are hardly any. The package says it works because it emits "photons" Beats me what a photon is! I just know it works.

With malaria on the rise here, I think its a good idea. I got it once and it wasnt much fun!

so do the mossies disappear or do they die.? a photon is light waves equivalent to a electron. if i have that right.! still no idea how it works.. if they die maybe the same as uv light on bacterior...

so do the mossies disappear or do they die.? a photon is light waves equivalent to a electron. if i have that right.! still no idea how it works.. if they die maybe the same as uv light on bacterior...

Photons do not kill mosquitoes. If they did "we" would all be dead. Photons bombard this planet by the millions every second and go right through it. Its the lack opf blue light and UV that they don't see. Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 and UV light which all warm blooded animals give off. They see the light first, are attracted to it, and then sense the CO2. That's how the newer bug traps work. In fact they can pick you out (CO2) as far as 30 feet away.

I'm really surprised why the Thai government doesn't start releasing "radiated mosquitoes" by the millions. Releases in the Everglades have been remarked successful. Radiate the males and they sterile. Can reproduce the population drops.

In a former life when I was living in Africa we used to have yellow lights outside on the porch to keep the du-du's away.

These were just ordinary colored light bulbs that you can buy for decorations but we only used the yellow ones.

The yellow light thing to keep insects away seems to be generally well known.

:o

I just bought a 4 foot yellow neon mosquito light.
Mosquitoes are not attracted to light. You are probaby mistaken for insects that appear to be mosquito but aren't. If mosquitoes were attracted to light then this would bring an end to the biggest killer of man in the world.

Coventry,

I think you missed something here. I said the mosquitos are REPELED by the light. That means they go away.

The package says photons repel them but dont kill them.

I know what a mosquito looks like and they are there before I turn on the light and gone 20 min. after.

Coventry,

I think you missed something here. I said the mosquitos are REPELED by the light. That means they go away.

OK I misread but if these were the answer to the worlds mosquito problem why are people still catching malaria ? It's a new product and I'm yet to be convinced it works. Thanks for your help.

Go to www.msptm.org/files/89_-_91_Chen_Chen_Dhang.pdf and you'll find how the yellow light works

Edited by coventry