Pattaya Has Arrived In Chiang Mai

Ajarn

US tourists knifed by robbers

Published on November 20, 2004 (Nation)

CHIANG MAI - Two female American tourists received knife wounds and other injuries when they were attacked by three male robbers early yesterday morning, police said.

Major Montree Klaithin, of Chiang Mai’s Muang district police station, identified the tourists as Carolen Covengton, 22, and Alison Baenen, 22.

He said the attempted robbery took place at 12.30am near the Pan-On temple in downtown Chiang Mai.

The women told Montree through an interpreter that they were saved when a taxi ferrying five foreign tourists happened to pass by as the attack was taking place.

Covengton suffered a cut on her left arm and bruises and scratches on her knees, while Alison suffered a deep cut to her chin.

The women said they were returning to their guesthouse from the Night Bazaar when the three men approached them on two motorcycles.

Covengton said one of men got off his motorcycle and tried to snatch her handbag, but she held onto it and grabbed the man’s shorts.

Alison tried to help her, and during the tussle the man attacked both of them with a knife, she said.

She said the man’s shorts were torn off during the assault, and the men fled empty-handed on their motorcycles when the taxi arrived.

Taxi driver Atthasit Boonyuen, 43, said his passengers jumped out when they saw the assault, then gave up the vehicle so he could take the women to hospital.

I felt such saddness at reading this. Is this a first for CM? I know there have been purse snatches from farangs before, but this is the first time I've heard of this kind of heavy violence against farang tourists in CM.... Even the infamous Samurai gang of years ago never attacked farangs.

Kudos to the Songthaew driver who stopped and helped, along with his passengers

CHIANG MAI - Two female American tourists received knife wounds and other injuries when they were attacked by three male robbers early yesterday morning, police said.

Major Montree Klaithin, of Chiang Mai’s Muang district police station, identified the tourists as Carolen Covengton, 22, and Alison Baenen, 22.

He said the attempted robbery took place at 12.30am near the Pan-On temple in downtown Chiang Mai.

The women told Montree through an interpreter that they were saved when a taxi ferrying five foreign tourists happened to pass by as the attack was taking place.

Covengton suffered a cut on her left arm and bruises and scratches on her knees, while Alison suffered a deep cut to her chin.

The women said they were returning to their guesthouse from the Night Bazaar when the three men approached them on two motorcycles.

Covengton said one of men got off his motorcycle and tried to snatch her handbag, but she held onto it and grabbed the man’s shorts.

Alison tried to help her, and during the tussle the man attacked both of them with a knife, she said.

She said the man’s shorts were torn off during the assault, and the men fled empty-handed on their motorcycles when the taxi arrived.

Taxi driver Atthasit Boonyuen, 43, said his passengers jumped out when they saw the assault, then gave up the vehicle so he could take the women to hospital.

I felt such saddness at reading this. Is this a first for CM? I know there have been purse snatches from farangs before, but this is the first time I've heard of this kind of heavy violence against farang tourists in CM.... Even the infamous Samurai gang of years ago never attacked farangs.

I feel really sad as well, but let's not jump to conclusions because of one incident.

Personally I have always been amazed at how there is so little violence against farang considering the economic disparities.

I feel really sad as well, but let's not jump to conclusions because of one incident.

Personally I have always been amazed at how there is so little violence against farang considering the economic disparities.

A 22 year old Australian girl was badly cut up by 3 Thai guys in the CM night market last week. Police caught the culprits.

A 22 year old Australian girl was badly cut up by 3 Thai guys in the CM night market last week. Police caught the culprits.

Glad to hear they were caught, and continued sadness to see ths type of 'Pattaya' violence anywhere in Thailand...

I think it's quite likely some more of this violence goes unreported in the English press. "Could hurt tourism ($$$)" being the excuse heard about... Even Thaksin has told the media to stop printing bad news that could effect tourism.. :o

What conclusions are you referring too?

Glad to hear they were caught, and continued sadness to see ths type of 'Pattaya' violence anywhere in Thailand...

I think it's quite likely some more of this violence goes unreported in the English press. "Could hurt tourism ($$$)" being the excuse heard about... Even Thaksin has told the media to stop printing bad news that could effect tourism.. :o

They need to make examples of the bastards

I think it's quite likely some more of this violence goes unreported in the English press. "Could hurt tourism ($$$)" being the excuse heard about... Even Thaksin has told the media to stop printing bad news that could effect tourism.. :D

They need to make examples of the bastards

What about 'alternative sentencing', like they use in Texas, and other bastions of ______ ? (fill in your blank)

If you make a 'public' crimminal walk around some given place with a placard around his neck, obviously a huge face-loss, but enough push to push them in which direction? Deeper in anger and resentment, or a 'lesson' in life learned, and a determination to not give away his freedom like that again.... I would hope for the later, but likely expect the former...

What kinds of 'alternative sentencing' can you think of that might have the best possibility for 'encouraging' positive direction in this culture?

Time in a wat?

Time in a bootcamp?

A monk who kicks butt? :o

Or Me.dino.gif

I suppose I read more into your post than was actually there. The way it sounded to me at first was like this would be the first... in a series of crimes against farang. You never wrote that though. Point taken. I'll make a point being awake next time.  :o

In rereading the headline, I could've 'Pattaya'.'d, and it may have seemed less 'chicken little'sh ?? I didn't mean to imply the whole Tamale :D

Tough business, this English interpretation, na'? :D

Still confused why Pattaya has anything to do with this!

Is Pattaya the only place in Thailand that has crime?

I don't think so.

Besides being a general shithole in my mind, it also seems to have a much higher incidence of such kinds of violence against tourists than seem to get reported in other places in the realm, even in Bkk...

Also, Pattaya used to be a 'Paradise', too :o

I don't think so.

Besides being a general shithole in my mind, it also seems to have a much higher incidence of such kinds of violence against tourists than seem to get reported in other places in the realm, even in Bkk...

Besides being a general shithole in my mind

A narrow minded comment as far as i'm concerned but thats up to you. :D

You mention the word "seems", does that mean you are sure of this fact or is it what you hear from other people?

Pattaya does'nt deserve the label sihthole, IMHO opinion its sihthead farangs that give it a bad name. :D

Have'nt been to Chiang Mai yet but hope to soon. :D

I don't think so.

Besides being a general shithole in my mind
A narrow minded comment as far as i'm concerned but thats up to you. :D

You mention the word "seems", does that mean you are sure of this fact or is it what you hear from other people?

Pattaya does'nt deserve the label sihthole, IMHO opinion its sihthead farangs that give it a bad name. :D

Have'nt been to Chiang Mai yet but hope to soon. :D

Funny how your posting matches your face.... Very Sour :D

There’s always been a certain level of violent crime in Chiang Mai. If you doubt it then read the local papers. Farang tourists aren’t immune unfortunately but it’s still a much safer place to walk around at night than most cities in Europe.

Does anybody recall the bag snatcher who was shot dead outside the AUA during the first Gulf war when the cops were on the look out for an Iraqi terror cell hiding in Chiang Mai.