State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

I think the questing that needs to be answered is should international tourists cancel their holidays in Thailand. Since it is world news that a "State of Emergency" exists in Bangkok and transportation has been disrupted in some areas of Thailand, what would a clear headed potential tourist think about when it comes to holiday travel and family safety? The international press depiction of the "crisis" paints a bleak picture so I feel many if not most of the future travelers this high season will find alternate vacation venues.

IMHO we are going to go from low season to "no season" and that the economy along with the Thai people are going to suffer. Lets face it. Many foreigners who live in Thailand could not afford to live here if it was a properly run country. We would still be stuck in Kansas, Manchester, Los Angeles or Hull if the cost of living and even holiday making was comparable to say, Singapore. Cheap labor, cheap fun with a very small dash of Thai culture thrown in.

Vacationers should consider an alternate destination while Thailand's government and security services are out of control. In reality, I live in Bangkok and have been effected only slightly by the circus that is about to enter its second week. However, what will happen next week? Thai Airways union is threatening to strike. No bus service in Bangkok. Threats to shut off electricity and water supplies. Train service canceled because workers won't work.

The new name of the country may be changed to Burma with Electricity, or BE for short. The tourism Authority of Thailand has spent another billion Baht and came up it a new slogan, "BE Amazing" for the new tourist campaign. :o

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

September 02, 2008 10:24am (8:24am Thailand)

THAILAND'S Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency in Bangkok today, state radio announced, hours after clashes between opponents and supporters of his government left one dead.

Thai police called in army reinforcements early Tuesday as thousands of pro-and anti-government protesters clashed in the capital, leaving one dead and dozens injured, officials and local media said.

Thai television showed protesters wearing helmets and carrying batons running though the streets, fighting with each other and throwing rocks, as people lay bleeding on the street.

How tragic for this person and his family. How can a demonstration about politics be important enough to take someone's life, or to hurt someone?

Democracy means if you made a mistake and voted in a bad government, you take it as a lesson learned and vote them out next time, or if the problem is urgent, use legal means to end it.

Newbies have as much right to articulate in this forum as you do warriors. No PPP affiliation, just a view different from yours. The notion that with an older join date at Thai Visa somehow begets you the only realistic POV is amazingly ignorant...I don't take sides particularly... but even at the surface, what PAD is doing and their method is not going to benefit anybody... step back and get some perspective

If you read my post carefully I NEVER gave an opion ( View) which way I cast my vote either P.P.P. or P.A.D :o

Emergency committee to evict protesters from Government House: Samak

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said the committee in charge of enforcement of emergency decree in Bangkok would take actions to remove protesters from the Government House.

Speaking at a press conference at the Supreme Command, Samak said the committee, which is headed by Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda, would tak e necessary actions to ensure that the protesters leave the Government House.

The emergency committee would also take actions to disperse the rally of pro-government protesters at Sanam Luang, Samak said.

-- The Nation 2008-09-02

Sad times.

Just ask yourself if this were your own country and the goverment which was in power was saturated with corruption and was'nt prepared to bring an ex leader to justice even though he had ripped off millions of tax payers money. Which side of the fence would you be on?

One bomb, one death, several people in hospital? When will Thais think about something else than filling their own pockets?

Why can't the "elected" man be in power? Is he worse than the other one? Is he the worst one ever? Is the country going that bad?

OR

Is it only PAD that wants to stirr things up and create a mess here? Thinking that Thaksin will leave? (Newsflash people, Thaksin is out of the country already).

LOL

And I thought I was naive sometimes. Samak is Thaksin's man. No? Maybe Samak is telling the truth in his propaganda show... that he's his own man, and not beholden to Thaksin.

maybe not

:o

Have to wonder about Thaksin selling his football team...coincidence? Party is in need of a cash injection for an upcoming election campaign? Or maybe the snack boxes are just getting larger?

The nominee thing is pathetic. Pre election = "I am Thaksin's nominee", post elect = "I did it my way"!!!

Newbies have as much right to articulate in this forum as you do warriors. No PPP affiliation, just a view different from yours. The notion that with an older join date at Thai Visa somehow begets you the only realistic POV is amazingly ignorant...I don't take sides particularly... but even at the surface, what PAD is doing and their method is not going to benefit anybody... step back and get some perspective

Agreed.

I am no supporter of Thaksin or Samak but this situation is more like a revolt than a protest.

As far as I can see the PAD is anti-democracy and are complaining that the wrong party won. That's the problem with a democracy, you have to follow who/what party was elected and they can't handle that.

As far as government corruption and populist polices etc are concerned, you could argue that all governments everywhere are corrupt (to a certain extent) and all governments follow populist policies otherwise they would never get elected.

There was no choice. As long as we are succumbed to mob rule there is no way out. One man could make the difference he did not want to do so. Samak has no choice, not one single government would allow people to take over its seat or block airports. PAD is above the law. I am afraid that in the coming ten years there will be no difference, first all the old men have to be to old to wield their influence. Shocking is the stance of Chulalongkorn lecturers the mouthpiece of the state. Compare those to that of Thammasat or those well known lecturers from abroad like the university of Maryland, who call the PAd a fascist party.

So much for Democracy. I'm getting out of here while the getting is good beforethey shut down the main airport in Bangkok. I certainly don't want to be stuck here during a Revolution should it come to that.

Bye bye. Oh, and take the rest of the International Mail/Express/Sun reading (sic) mongers with you. :o

Edited by jitagon

In case anyone's interested this was the number one news story on the BBC News 24 station in England on the 02:00 news, even before the hurricane news. They did a full run down on the situation including an interview with one of their guys in Bangkok. It lasted about five minutes in total.

Many potential tourists will have been put off coming here. PAD and Pro Gov - THIS IS MADNESS!

RIGHT ON!!! I can't believe how many of the farangs posting on here have so little respect for the brave protesters who are standing up for a fair share of the pie, standing up to these elite few who steal from the common man. Does anybody remember the cival rights movement in America and MLK Jr. ???

You mean the protesters who were so much in the minority that they could not prevent election of the current government be the majority. And now use mob tactics, forceful entry and vandalism as "better" means to topple their government.

If you like it or not (and I personally don't like the current government either), this is how the Thais have chosen, now making their typical mess out of it after the fact -- at least you are right in this, it is about the piece of pie some 'did not get': like spoiled children who did not get their chocolate, lots of screaming and drama.

Thai people, get a grip. This is the 21st century, not a soap opera on television.

Did you see the NBT News Casters (khun Kitti and another lady) being verbally abused, knocked on the head, unceremoniously/maliciously splashed with water?

Did you see the mob breaking down the gates?

Did you see the 84 persons that broke into NBT demanding the NBT staff to vacate the premises in order to prevent NBT from broadcasting reports that might not be to the like of PAD leadership?

Did you see government forces interupt ASTV news broadcasts?

No my ignorant new comer friend...you are the one that is pathetic with your mis-information.

1. The PAD has used large numbers of people and old ladies to defeat the PPP

2. Break into Government buildings......they are public buildings....belonging to the people...

3. Nobody was detained or held hostage, all were free to leave.

4. People died because of paid holigans that were bought by the PPP

Get your facts straight!

Would someone be kind enough to explain what the restriction on gatherings of 5+ people means in respect to the entertainment zones? Does this mean that venues such as bars or clubs must close? Restaurants? Technically, a birthday celebration would land afoul of the rule.

Sad times.

Just ask yourself if this were your own country and the goverment which was in power was saturated with corruption and was'nt prepared to bring an ex leader to justice even though he had ripped off millions of tax payers money. Which side of the fence would you be on?

In this case both sides of the fence have players with terrible business records tainted by alleged corruption.

Ask Sonthi about the Krung Thai overdraft or the actions of his holding companies in British Virgin Islands................

I was watching Thai TV late last night and the live scenes on the streets in Bangkok were very ugly indeed. At least three channels gave it blanket coverage. Opponents of the PAD roamed the streets armed with pool cues and baseball bats and a number of people were brutally beaten in full view of TV cameras.

The thugs,many of whom appeared to be drunk, marched on unhindered by the police who seemed unwilling to intervene.

One report on BBC suggested that the mob broke through police lines which is not how it looked to me. Rather the police allowed them through.

Much more to this than meets the eye

If you weren't read this or listening to any English language radios or TV and didn't fly to Krabi, Phuket, or Hat Yai last week, you would probably never even know this was happening. Your life is probably unaffected by this unless your income is derived from tourism or you live next to the protest site, then you might be worried.

I think I am more affected by the huge black cloud literally hovering over Pattaya now.

On Koh Samui it's business as usual. The planes keep coming and going but no idea how full they are.

The Principal Law is made by the other side and some how supports the other side. My husband and I did not vote for that Law as it gives cracks for these protestors to climb up.

Many tv channels just deliver half of the news to support the protestors. NBT is telling all truths so they were the first to be attacked last week.

The panthamai LOL (panthamit) is going against the law. This has got to stop.

In our area, if they stop and water and electricity, we'll throw stones to them. They think they own the water & power plants. No. They just work there. These belong to public.

Can anyone remember a few years ago when the Man C man was hailed as The New Statesman of Asia in both BKK-based English language newspapers? And also: Democracy is only a means - not an end. And he stated that buying Man C would make the English lose face (sic). Now he is broke and has sold it. What face?

Well -TIT - I am sorry I ever came here...

Is there any clarification on who would "appoint" the 70% of the Members of Parliament that would be "appointed" under the PAD plan?

They kinda lost my sympathy when they proposed doing away with democracy. Definitely a wish for minority rule.

kenk3z

no because it is not true

Emergency may be lifted in a few days after problems solved: Samak

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said he made the decision with caution to announce the state of emergency and would try to end the problems in a few days.

He said the announcement was made after consulting officials concerned.

He said the emergency would be lifted after he solved the problems.

He said he would try to solve the problems as soon as possible.

He said the problems would be ended in a few days and Bangkok governor election candidates would later be allowed to launch their election campaigns.

-- The Nation 2008-09-02

Samak sounds almost as honest and patronizing as Magunbee our beloved "President" of Zimbabwe.

How could anyone doubt such sincerity. :o

Mugabe and the PAD have the same will for not letting a government democratically voted in by the majority be in power.

Edited by JoeInSurin

PPP won majority of the votes. The Democratic Party did not. The PAD is not a political party but a Pitbull of the Democratic Party which was so sure to win the previous election but obviously did not.

Many people from the rural areas are pro-government - something that is too perplexing for the PAD and the Democratic Party to understand. This is why they think that Rural people should be disenfranchised from voting and that 70 of the representatives should be appointed.

Should such a thing ever happen and you let PAD have their way, you can kiss Democracy in the Kingdom goodbye.

I am a firm supporter of PAD and the protest....

It has always been a peaceful protest, in hopes of stopping further corruption and theft of the country to benefit a few at the top.

My wife bears the scars of the May 92 protest, when another corrupt government did the same thing to the people that were peacefully assembled. Many were killed and wounded.

The most peaceful outcome would be for word from on High to come down for Samak to find life elsewhere. I thought it would after his visit to Hua Hin last week.

RIGHT ON!!! I can't believe how many of the farangs posting on here have so little respect for the brave protesters who are standing up for a fair share of the pie, standing up to these elite few who steal from the common man. Does anybody remember the cival rights movement in America and MLK Jr. ???

Is there any clarification on who would "appoint" the 70% of the Members of Parliament that would be "appointed" under the PAD plan?

They kinda lost my sympathy when they proposed doing away with democracy. Definitely a wish for minority rule.

kenk3z

I am not an English subject, but it would appear that the Government in England does this very thing.

You have the House of Lords....that are inherited, or appointed

Then you have the Commons that are elected by the citizens....

America founded democracy but limited the vote to land owning males...

as the voting block was widened, it slowly has become the have-nots reaching into the pockets of those that have some money.

So democracy can be defined as PAD is doing it, there is nothing sacrosanct about 1 vote for every person.

The above post "PPP won majority of the votes"....well so did Magumbee in Zimbabwe...(if you believe in corrupt elections).

Edited by old wanderer

Would someone be kind enough to explain what the restriction on gatherings of 5+ people means in respect to the entertainment zones? Does this mean that venues such as bars or clubs must close? Restaurants? Technically, a birthday celebration would land afoul of the rule.

If you pop into the Biergarten this arvo, you will see that all the stools have been re-arranged in to groups of 5. :o

Sad times.

I'd ask myself if I contributed to the corruption, or ever spoke out against it.

Corruption in government would be a lot less if it isn't endemic all the way up from grassroots. No hope of finding moral people for government as long as corruption is mai-pen-rai'ed in every household and institution in the country.

A country gets the government it deserves. If the whole culture is accepting of corruption at every level, and contributes to it, no good crying when those kids that grew up with it get into power.

You think that because they are public buildings you are free to break down the gates, break the doors down, keep the people that work in them from entering and then set up camp and live in them?? And you call other people ignorant!!!!

Great post!

situation in BKK is still/ can be control. someone got to act quick before things escalade into bloodshed.

if these people, - both "the good" and "the bad" - , love this land once called Siam. Then they should do the right thing and step down, walk away or just go home. do something rather than just fight it out. nobody win when conflict like this is picking steam and head for a collision.

mark my word, when military are called in and when they declear Martial Law. thai blood will flow in the street of BKK. hope it never have to come to that.

Thailand's Prime Minister Samak declares State of Emergency in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej declared a State of Emergency in the capital of Bangkok after violent overnight clashes between supporters of pro-and anti-government group of protesters that left one dead and over 30 injured.

The prime minister announced enforcements of an Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situations in Bangkok, hours after clashes in the streets between supporters of the pro-government National United front of Democracy against Dictatorship (DAAD) and the anti-government -People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) that staged the protest for 100 days on Monday.

There was one person dead and over 30 injured after fighting which mainly occurred on Ratchadamneon

Nok Avenue where the PAD staged another rally beside the Government House compound.

The decree bans gatherings of more than five persons and as well as media dissemination of news

likely to panic the public or instigate violence.

Army chief Gen. Anupong Paochinda was appointed to head the emergency decree enforcement team in Bangkok while National Police Chief and First Regional Army Commander are his deputies.

Pro-government protesters appeared to disperse soon after learning of the emergency decree announcement.

However, the PAD defied the State of Emergency, saying that the they would continue holding the Government House compound and protesting against the government until the prime minister resigns.

Schools in the vicinity of the clash areas announced their closure for an indefinite period. Thammasat University, Tha Prachan campus also announced a one day closure.

The clashes broke out after the members of the pro-government group which rallied at Sanam Luang, and then moved to the Makhawan Rangsan Bridge where the PAD has been staging its anti-government rally.

Armed with batons, clubs and homemade weapons, the two sides fought on the avenue and connecting roads, chasing and beating their opponents.

One person died from severe injuries and others were in serious condition, some hospitalised with gunshot wounds.

Police were unsuccessful in stopping the street fighting, but afterward army troops in riot gear were assigned

to help, and the situation appeared to be calm.

-- TNA 2008-09-02

I am not an English subject, but it would appear that the Government in England does this very thing.

You are badly informed.

Is subordinate to the will of the commons and the House of Commons can force through anything they want with the Parliament Acts. Parliament is soveriegn in all respects.

America founded democracy but limited the vote to land owning males...

Actually they didn't...

there is nothing sacrosanct about 1 vote for every person.

Yes there is, it's called political legitimacy

The 70:30 split is a bargaining option for forcing the hand of the people who think that vote buying is a legitimate way to win an election. It will never wash because the 70% option gives too much responsibility to the people from the ineffectual post coup govt. Thailand needs a dynamic govt to continue moving forward. The 70% are certainly not dynamic.

This govt is not democratic and Samak is lying when he speaks about defending democracy. His version of democracy is not the same as the rest of the worlds.

A 70:30 split effectively highlights the pointlessness of the currently accepted norm in Thailand.

Eventually all Thais who accept money for votes will realise they are not participating in democracy. All the Thais who mindlessly accept what the "elected" leaders tell them will also begin to wonder why the govt keeps getting kicked out. The stigma and uncertainty that vote buying creates will cause everyone to mark it on the list as unacceptable behaviour.

The PAD are making a point and Thais are starting to get the message. However it will probably need a few more rounds before the message really sinks in and no doubt there will be more blood and disruption until that happens.

PAD are making a stand against corruption and that is a "Good Thing"

If the other corrupt govt and societies of the world were subjected to this kind of continued spotlight and were not able to use violent force to shut it down they would be squirming too. All govts should be accountable to the people. If enough people feel they need to protest the govt should listen to their voices.

Burma, Zimbabwe, North Korea. They deserve an society where this kind of positive action is allowed. The PAD is setting a standard for the rest of the world. All eyes are watching. To the credit of the higher powers in Bkk they have allowed this protest to continue without too much agitation so far. It shows a free society and Thai's should be proud of the position they have reached. To the credit of the PAD the vast majority of protestors have maintained a non violent stand.

If the Army and Police unravel this with violent force then they don't deserve to be supported as they would be working against the freedoms that are being exercised by the PAD which they are supposed to be protecting.

They are no longer inherited but are appointed by the democratically elected parliament.

Not by the military.

And the UK has been trying to reform the House of Lords for decades in order to improve its democratic value, they are even considering public referendum on how to do it.

That is how democracy works you see, the people all get an equal vote and a chance to use it.