Shrimp Fishing

MMR

I have come up with a list of shrimp fishing spots around central Bangkok. Anyone else indulge in this pastime? Any recommendations as to which places are better (atmosphere, shrimp size, well stocked pools,etc)?

Happy shrimping.

Me and Mrs H2o used to go to a place in Hua Hin, near the driving range where the resteraunt was surrounded by a pool. You ordered your drink and could get a fishing pole and fish for shrimp. Whatever you caught they would cook up for you. Very cheap and made for a change for a night out. Mrs H2o was a lot better at it than me though. She seemed to know where the big guys hung out. Ahhh happy days :o

Lieutenant Dan?

Good one bubba

Weren't he in the shrimp bidness?

Seriously, there are plenty of stocked fishing lakes all over Thailand. The trouble is you need local knowledge to find them and know when they're open.

The larger fishing resort type places have websites, just Google search terms like Thailand, fishing etc.

The only place I've ever caught shrimp is in the fresh water tank in Big C.

http://www.siamfishingtours.com/ is an example of the websites.

Please share the list as I have been looking for places like this.

Know of any similar places for fish fishing?

Here are a few we figure are worth checking out:

วังกุ้งริมคลอง - 084-326-5408 - Ramkamhaeng 153

ก.เกมตกกุ้้ง - 02-652-9979/02-652-9980 - Asoke & New Petchaburi rd.

ป เกมตกกุ้ง ศรีมิตร - 02-7355253 - Ladprao 127

Please share the list as I have been looking for places like this.

Know of any similar places for fish fishing?

Here are a few we figure are worth checking out:

วังกุ้งริมคลอง - 084-326-5408 - Ramkamhaeng 153

ก.เกมตกกุ้้ง - 02-652-9979/02-652-9980 - Asoke & New Petchaburi rd.

ป เกมตกกุ้ง ศรีมิตร - 02-7355253 - Ladprao 127

Thanks...please report back if you find anything good.

I recently talked to someone and they mentioned a similar place on Thong Lor Soi 10. That's all the information I got...anybody know if there is something in that area?

• 2 weeks later...
So has anyone gone out and done this? Checked out any of the places on the list yet? Please let us know! Thanks.

If you are right in town, the Asoke outfit is probably better.

A little more expensive than the ones out in the sticks though.

So has anyone gone out and done this? Checked out any of the places on the list yet? Please let us know! Thanks.

If you are right in town, the Asoke outfit is probably better.

A little more expensive than the ones out in the sticks though.

When did you last visit this place? The last time I asked to go there (April last year), the Taxi Driver insisted it was closed & I ended up in the usual place on Ratchada.

Out of curiosity, I rang these telephone numbers this evening, whilst I accept we are six hours behind in the UK, the results were disappointing:

วังกุ้งริมคลอง - 084-326-5408 - Ramkamhaeng 153 - Recorded message - sounded more like a personal home number.

ก.เกมตกกุ้้ง - 02-652-9979/02-652-9980 - Asoke & New Petchaburi rd. - Answer phone - the message didn't suggest this was a prawn fishing joint.

ป เกมตกกุ้ง ศรีมิตร - 02-7355253 - Ladprao 127 - Woke someone up, who said it closed a long time ago.

I used to like the one near Patpong, on Surawong Rd, I would guess it's been closed 5/6 years now. I believe they relocated the sea food restaurant, but, no prawn fishing pool. :o

I believe there's a prawn pool, along with a fishing lake, at the Bangkok Golf Spa Resort Hotel. I'm thinking of spending a couple of nights there in December to check it out.

I'll get the wife on the case, checking Thai websites, for any venues which are currently open.

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
When did you last visit this place? The last time I asked to go there (April last year), the Taxi Driver insisted it was closed & I ended up in the usual place on Ratchada.

Out of curiosity, I rang these telephone numbers this evening, whilst I accept we are six hours behind in the UK, the results were disappointing:

วังกุ้งริมคลอง - 084-326-5408 - Ramkamhaeng 153 - Recorded message - sounded more like a personal home number.

ก.เกมตกกุ้้ง - 02-652-9979/02-652-9980 - Asoke & New Petchaburi rd. - Answer phone - the message didn't suggest this was a prawn fishing joint.

ป เกมตกกุ้ง ศรีมิตร - 02-7355253 - Ladprao 127 - Woke someone up, who said it closed a long time ago.

I used to like the one near Patpong, on Surawong Rd, I would guess it's been closed 5/6 years now. I believe they relocated the sea food restaurant, but, no prawn fishing pool. :o

I believe there's a prawn pool, along with a fishing lake, at the Bangkok Golf Spa Resort Hotel. I'm thinking of spending a couple of nights there in December to check it out.

I'll get the wife on the case, checking Thai websites, for any venues which are currently open.

We gave those numbers a call as well with no luck. Can anyone please give me a specific phone number or location of a shrimp fishing place they have actually been to recently. I've been trying to go for a while now, but still don't know where!

Clayton, where's this place on Ratchada you speak of?

We gave those numbers a call as well with no luck. Can anyone please give me a specific phone number or location of a shrimp fishing place they have actually been to recently. I've been trying to go for a while now, but still don't know where!

Clayton, where's this place on Ratchada you speak of?

Here's their address, the nearest MRT station is Thailand Cultural Centre. You can't miss the restaurant has it's got a huge prawn outside. If you take a Taxi, all the drivers know of this place.

P.Kung Pao, Ratchada International Seafood

91 Ratchadaphisek Road

Dindaeng

Bangkok

Thailand 10110

Tel: 0-2642-2305

<h2 class="fn org">ป กุ้งเผา รัชดา</h2> 91 ถ.รัชดาภิเษก แขวงดินแดง เขตดินแดง กรุงเทพฯ

10110 Bangkok, ประเทศไทย

Tel: 02-642-2305

Fax: 02-642-2305

แบ่งเป็นประเภท

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the 'shrimping' process?

Do they give you a net and you drag it in the water for a few minutes?

Perhaps there is more to this?

They give you a pole (with line, hook & float attached), bait (offal) & a keep net. You then sit & fish for the prawns - if you're uncomfortable unhooking them (the prawns will try to nip you with their claws) the waitresses will assist in unhooking them, along with cutting up the bait & of course, serving you a few cold beers.

You'll probably see some of the Thai customers bring their own tackle along - there's nothing to stop you buying your own & doing the same.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

When I saw 'shrimp fishing' I was wondering how big is net (we call them trawls) and how does this work. Guess if your using a fishing pole it is similiar to crabbing with chicken neck on a line. Sounds like the success for quanity may be like swatting flies with a tack hammer.

When I saw 'shrimp fishing' I was wondering how big is net (we call them trawls) and how does this work. Guess if your using a fishing pole it is similiar to crabbing with chicken neck on a line. Sounds like the success for quanity may be like swatting flies with a tack hammer.

As with any form of fishing - you can have good days and bad days, but, that's part of the enjoyment.

Here's their address, the nearest MRT station is Thailand Cultural Centre. You can't miss the restaurant has it's got a huge prawn outside. If you take a Taxi, all the drivers know of this place.

91 Ratchadaphisek Road

Dindaeng

You'll certainly miss it since it's been closed for months.

91 Ratchadaphisek Road

Dindaeng

You'll certainly miss it since it's been closed for months.

Seems you're right - the tw_ts in brown closed them down last December, all their establishments that it is & according to the forum where the wife read this, putting 2000(?) people out of work. :o I guess they must have missed their payments or, the cops got greedy.

I've just found one that is open, the wife just rang them now, getting the proprietor out of bed. :D It's not as convenient as Ratchada, but, I'll post the details a little later anyway.