Just Received Panasonic Lumix Lx3

t.s

Nothing much to say yet really, just received it this morning and havent really had a chance to play with it.

pretty excited though, it is a nice solid piece of kit.

Anyone else out there bought or thinking of buying?

ts

Where did you get it from? And for how much?

I am currently waiting for Canon G10 to be released, to finally make a decision on buying a new pocket able cam, but so far the news of the LX3 have been quite exciting!

Sunny

I shipped it in from hong kong with 4gb sdhc and a number of useless gifts for 18k + 671 baht for customs and the dhl handling fee (1 week ago before the current "situation" killed the exchange).

i was not thrilled with the vendor (digitalland) who made a false claim it was in stock.

i would have got the leather case too, but nobody seems to stock it yet. i am hoping for a telephoto conversion though it will be expensive if they even release it.

I am still learning the UI, but a few of the auto shots seem to bode well for the camera

Here is a storm photo taken with the camera about 20 mins ago. slight fiddling with raw done afterwards.

i have also attached a shot playing with depth of feild at my desk. this is straight from the camera with size and compression adjustments.

this camera is alot of fun, but alot of room for error if you get experimental. loving it, almost like playing with my old, alas stolen dslr.

post-26132-1220949053_thumb.jpg

post-26132-1220949434_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

What benefits are there to this camera over one of their superzooms?

They also have an interesting camera coming out soon called the G1.. It looks like a DSLR and has interchangeable lenses, but has no prism/mirror arrangement so is much smaller.

I'm onto my 2nd Lumix compact and also have a Panasonic camcorder, and recommend them for quality and vfm.

• 2 weeks later...

They also have an interesting camera coming out soon called the G1.. It looks like a DSLR and has interchangeable lenses, but has no prism/mirror arrangement so is much smaller.

I'm onto my 2nd Lumix compact and also have a Panasonic camcorder, and recommend them for quality and vfm.

the benefits over the superzoom are:

24mm -- 60mm equivalent -- only 2.5x zoom if you want zoom, this aint for you

fast f2 at wide open f 2.8 at fiull zoom

16:9, 4:3, 3:2 aspect ratios

larger (marginally) sensor which matches the image circle for ratio changes, the picture does not appear to be cropped.

the sensor is 10 MP, they improved it without upping the pixel density.

less noise at higher iso -- images are printable to iso 400, web maybe iso 800 in a pinch

excellent low light response for a point and shoot.

fully manual if thats what you want

excellent iq in my opinion.

really good low light performance -- i rarely use the flash.

raw + Jpeg, though raw support is painfully slow due to panasonic barrel correction issues at wide open.

surprisingly good in camera black and white.

can actually play with DOF.

It isn't a dslr, but you can use it like it is one

the benefits over the superzoom are:

24mm -- 60mm equivalent -- only 2.5x zoom if you want zoom, this aint for you

fast f2 at wide open f 2.8 at fiull zoom

16:9, 4:3, 3:2 aspect ratios

larger (marginally) sensor which matches the image circle for ratio changes, the picture does not appear to be cropped.

the sensor is 10 MP, they improved it without upping the pixel density.

less noise at higher iso -- images are printable to iso 400, web maybe iso 800 in a pinch

excellent low light response for a point and shoot.

fully manual if thats what you want

excellent iq in my opinion.

really good low light performance -- i rarely use the flash.

raw + Jpeg, though raw support is painfully slow due to panasonic barrel correction issues at wide open.

surprisingly good in camera black and white.

can actually play with DOF.

It isn't a dslr, but you can use it like it is one

Yes, I've been studying up on it and playing with one in the shop. They also have a hot shoe.

I'm not really in the market that it's aimed at, but have a brand loyalty for Lumix.

"They" reckon that the Leica version has slightly better image processing with less of the famous Lumix noise at higher ISOs.

Got my LX3 a few days ago from Zoom Camera. 17200 Bt including free 2 GB Card.

I love this camera, it is the best Compact I ever put my hands on, a perfect companion for my Canon 40D plus 6 lenses, whenever I dont want to lug the big bag ....

But in no way it could replace a DSLR!

Sunny

The Lumix G1 possibly could replace a DSLR and a compact. It seems to have the best of both worlds.

Yeah, maybe in a Year or two, with more lenses and a much smaller body .....

Right now is is almost as clunky as a SLR. Has very limited lenses too.

It looks clunky because it looks like an SLR. It's actually much smaller.

Me and my dad both got the Tz3`s like em tooo

one thing to add, the panasonic lether case, though insanely expensive really improves the "feel" of the camera. It really enhances the grip and handling

Sounds like a very good camera.

I think if you're happy with the shots you take, then that's the right camera for you.

I have just recently puyrchased a Canon EOS 40D, yeah, it's a very good camera, yet...............

I was looking through some old shots from a Fujipix 4600z , and those pics are sharp, and really very good.

I honestly think that some people have an eye for a good shot, and no matter what they use, they'll get good results.

And some people will have the best camera money can buy and get <deleted> results cos they ain't got the eye....... :o

Anyway, good luck with the camera, I'm sure you'll get some excellent shots with it, and please post some. :D

I honestly think that some people have an eye for a good shot, and no matter what they use, they'll get good results.

And some people will have the best camera money can buy and get <deleted> results cos they ain't got the eye....... :o

Very true.

It is not the camera, but the photographer behind it that gets the best results.

That's an old myth.

MAIG06 - Without the IS on your lens and in the absence of a tripod I doubt very much if you would have captured your very good waterfall shot. Go back with your handheld Finepix and see what happens.

The camera won't make the photographer, but it'll certainly make the image.

My Advise - buy the best camera and glass you can possible afford. The equipment will handle the technicalities leaving you with a lot more time to configure the image. Then, when all that learning is over, go back to manual focusing and exposure and your journey is complete.

• 2 months later...
That's an old myth.

MAIG06 - Without the IS on your lens and in the absence of a tripod I doubt very much if you would have captured your very good waterfall shot. Go back with your handheld Finepix and see what happens.

The camera won't make the photographer, but it'll certainly make the image.

My Advise - buy the best camera and glass you can possible afford. The equipment will handle the technicalities leaving you with a lot more time to configure the image. Then, when all that learning is over, go back to manual focusing and exposure and your journey is complete.

Yes Vulcan I can see your point.

This is a shot I took with a Fujifilm point and shoot a few years ago in Tokyo, no photoshop, it's as you see it, I thought that was a good shot.

I'm back in Tokyo at this time and I hope to be able to go to Harajuku on any Sunday and take similar shots, this time I'll be sporting the EOS 40D, if I can get shots much better than that I'll be more than happy . :o

post-4007-1231518391_thumb.jpg

taking the thread back on track to the LX3..

been looking at this camera myself to pair up with a Kowa 883 Prominar for digiscoping. Must admit, i'm very tempted by it... need to see a few more results from it though. i like the large LCD & fast lens.

its either the LX3 or the Nikon P6000 that i'll be opting for.. a bit more research first me thinks..

• 4 weeks later...

I never tried a panasonic lumix, I am too strict to buy from brands that always produced professional cameras (Canon, Nikon, etc..), but no doubt these new techtoys can deliver a good shot, if there is a good eye behind.