Taking Showers While Sick - A Problem Or Not?

Sam125

Taking showers while sick - a problem or not? (I am not talking about rainshowers only bathroom showers)

My lovely wife is convinced that taking a shower while sick will make you sicker. Some older local Thai doctors, nurses and of course all her family agree with her.

I have pointed out that hot showers will help you when you have congestion from a cold, and cool showers help a fever. I have also asked for even one scientific study supporting her study = none forthcoming....

Any thoughts out there? I am trying to be open-minded, is there any truth at all to this or is just nonsense?

I am very much looking forward to comments - thank you.

Note: I have already surrendered on the home front and while I will always take showers sick or not, I let the kids get wiped down with towels instead of showers.

Edited by Sam125

Why do you need a scientific study to try and force your wife to believe what you believe? If not taking showers reassures her when she's ill just let her be.

Endure,

Thank you for your reply. I have already given up on the home front and let her and our small kids do as she wishes - I thought that I had stated that, I am sorry if I was not clear.

As for scientific studies, I simply believe in science, I do not believe in ghosts, myths and legends etc...

I feel that modern science has given us antibiotics etc and I think that having the best most modern health care for ones family is very important.

Not taking hot showers (or perhaps being in a steam room) to my understanding hurts your health when you have a cold and cannot breath. Cold showers for bringing down fevers and general health is more controversial but something that I am interested in learning the science behind if possible.

Now while I appreciate your social comments do you have any information on my question? Is taking showers when sick harmful in anyway?

Thank you!

No, it is not harmful. Tepid water showers/baths will help to quickly reduce fever, especially useful in young children who tend to run quite high fevers which, if untreated, can sometimes result in febrile seizures. (Sponge bath will do also). Warm/hot showers will help relieve muscle spasms, and showers hot enough to generate steam will (temporaily) benefit congestion.

And keeping clean, of coursem benefits hygiene and health.

It's a common folk belief though and not worth arguing with unless it is affecting hygiene.

Cold showers for bringing down fevers and general health is more controversial but something that I am interested in learning the science behind if possible.

As noted by sheryl, tepid showers/baths can be beneficial - not cold and definately not ice cold.

It's a common folk belief though and not worth arguing......

I appreciate your info once again, Sheryl.

Another quick question:

Some people say that if you walk outside in the cold with wet hair from a shower that you will get sick.

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance.

My lovely wife is convinced that taking a shower while sick will make you sicker

.... its just another of those old wives tales !!

As I thought just an old story, now I wonder how did it come about? Perhaps some important person died a long time ago after a shower while sick and the legend grew?

Surprisingly when I lived in Seattle, WA (USA), where it pretty much rains 9 months out of each year, the cost of water was killing me. Definitely a strong argument not to take showers! :o

The Thai doctor that my children see when they are sick (in LOS) has convinced my wife that rain causes people to fall ill; never mind the viruses or bacteria. With a mentality like that, who are we to argue with. Thai doctors are so revered that they cannot possibly, ever, be wrong in their judgments.

After my (Vietnamese) ex-wife gave birth, she was told to not take a shower for four (4!) weeks and to plug up her nose and ears with cotton wool to prevent bad spirits entering. That is where I for once put my foot down and told her parents that if they insisted, I would move out. Luckily, they relented; it is pretty hot here :o That is also why I will continue to take showers when I am ill, whatever harm it does it sure neats smelling to high heaven.

After my (Vietnamese) ex-wife gave birth, she was told to not take a shower for four (4!) weeks and to plug up her nose and ears with cotton wool to prevent bad spirits entering. That is where I for once put my foot down and told her parents that if they insisted, I would move out. Luckily, they relented; it is pretty hot here :o That is also why I will continue to take showers when I am ill, whatever harm it does it sure neats smelling to high heaven.

Yes, there is a lot of superstition in Vietnam. And I think this thread shows there are Old Tales from the West as well. I am still wondering if talking around with a wet head can make you sick.

I doubt it. But this is what I've been told in the East and even from a couple people in the west.

Thais ride bikes in the cold pouring rain and do not die - but they may assume they got sick doing it. Extreme cold can make you sicker if you have low resistance and already have started getting a virus or bacterial infection.

Of course, do not take any shower in tap water if you have a deep, open cut. Take sponge or wet towel to the uninfected areas until the wound heals.

These old husband's tales predate the germ and virus discoveries. Tropical people often have no idea that you can go outside in the rain at 15 degrees and stay alive.

These old husband's tales predate the germ and virus discoveries. Tropical people often have no idea that you can go outside in the rain at 15 degrees and stay alive.

Here is a recent example. About 4 weeks ago there was some of the heaviest rain and flooking, I've ever experienced. Some locals (not foreigners) claimed they got very sick from getting wet.

If someone is wet can airconditioning make you sick? This is what some teachers think, both local and foreign.

The Thai doctor that my children see when they are sick (in LOS) has convinced my wife that rain causes people to fall ill; never mind the viruses or bacteria. With a mentality like that, who are we to argue with. Thai doctors are so revered that they cannot possibly, ever, be wrong in their judgments.

Gumball,

Thank you for your post - I feel better that I am not alone! Is your Thai doctor an older one? I ask because i think that the younger doctors are more modern.

No, it is not harmful. Tepid water showers/baths will help to quickly reduce fever, especially useful in young children who tend to run quite high fevers which, if untreated, can sometimes result in febrile seizures. (Sponge bath will do also). Warm/hot showers will help relieve muscle spasms, and showers hot enough to generate steam will (temporaily) benefit congestion.

It's a common folk belief though and not worth arguing with unless it is affecting hygiene.

Sheryl,

Thank you!

if u take in to consideration that many thais do not heat their shower water, then bathing while sick is just plain uncomfortable and not fun...

as for wet hair, i always end up with a running nose when i go out in freezing windy weather with wet long hair, my head just gets more cold to to the wetness; so i put on a hat, that solves the problem...

If I'm feeling weak say with a mild fever or heavy cold, I'll certainly avoid anything but a hot shower, otherwise I might feel quite pinched.

In England, yes a cold shower could really do you in during winter I'm sure.

Out here, Sheryl's probably right.