Beware Of Fake Monks

GungaDin

BEWARE OF FAKE MONKS

I would like to bring to the attention of tourists and visitors to Bangkok what appears to be fake Buddhist monks soliciting cash donations from foreigners in the vicinity of lower Sukhumvit Road between Nana and Phrom Phong. I have been approached numerous times in the last week. When I questioned local Thais about this it was confirmed that they are fake.

It should be noted that Thai monks do not take monetary donations in this fashion. I challenged one to tell me which Wat he was associated with and he abruptly ran away.

If you are feeling generous and would like to donate to a worthy cause, take the subway to Hua Lumpong. There is a temple next to the exit. A cash donation of 500 baht, for which you will be given an official receipt, will pay for a coffin and burial shroud for a poor person. You will also be guided through a ceremony involving lighting incense and offering prayers at the temple.

Whilst there are numerous scams that can catch the unwary, using the guise of a monk is deplorable and I hope the authorities take action.

Scott Moore

Sydney

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/070908_News/07Sep2008_news98.php

I did some volunteer work at a temple in Bangkok who also took donations and gave reciepts, I couldn't help notice when I was there that there were about 7 nice new cars all in seven different colours of some budhist colour scheme thing, cant remeber what it was, but my wife explained to me that the cars all belonged to the head monk at the temple, all of which had personalised plates. I think if you really want to help the needy and the poor support their markets and stalls, intead of giving it to some one else to dispence the way they see fit.

The fake monks that I saw were not even Thai. They are Chinese and can't speak Thai or English. They can't understand what you are saying. I like to follow them a little and warn the tourists as they walk down Sukhumvit.

One time he held out his cup to me which already had 20baht in it. I gave him a big smile and said, "Oh! Thank you very much!" Then took the 20baht from his cup and gave it to the poor begger lady on the street next to us. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

The fake monks that I saw were not even Thai. They are Chinese and can't speak Thai or English. They can't understand what you are saying. I like to follow them a little and warn the tourists as they walk down Sukhumvit.

One time he held out his cup to me which already had 20baht in it. I gave him a big smile and said, "Oh! Thank you very much!" Then took the 20baht from his cup and gave it to the poor begger lady on the street next to us. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

:o i love that idea. i wish i was there for that. next time i'm doing the same thing.

i told one that i was going to call the police and he ran fast.

• 3 weeks later...
By the way Thai people get cremated, not burried.

Yes, there's hundreds of these in Kuala Lumpur, but wear different colour robes (yellow and sometimes dark red) to Thai monks. They are also very well turned out, i.e. good shoes, expensive glasses and generally look quite smart. Of course they're scamming but didn't think they'd made it to Thailand yet. The other poster was right - they are nearly all Chinese entrepreneurs.

By the way, do you work for Mermaids? :o

So where can one buy a robe? :o

They're for sale in shops all over the place - that's the point, anyone can buy these monk robes making it very easy to become a "fake monk".

Worse than the fake monks, though, are people leading a poor elephant through the streets and for some reason expecting money for doing this. Even worse is that people seem happy to to comply with this and hand them cash for carrying out this sickening act.

A good tidbit to put in everyone's understanding Thailand playbook:

Real Thai monks never beg for money on the street.

Likewise, my Thai friends said these guys around Sukhumvit are Chinese, not Thai....

The other thing I noticed about the guy who came by was he was wearing socks underneath his sandals... which apparently is also faux paux

Oh, they seem to travel. One came into my hotel today in Pattaya while I was eating breakfast. I have never seen a Thai monk actually move from table to table before with a bowl out. He was dressed in the regular orange robe but it was tied in a different way than the usual monks in Thailand. Very pushy as well. I was very tempted to pour my coffee over him. He didn't speak Thai, Lao or English so no idea where he is from.

I have a Thai acquaintance that is a monk here in Thailand. I had asked him about the fake monks about a year ago. He said it is a minor problem as there aren't too many here right now. He said that there are "police" among the monks whose duty is to stop young monks from breaking the rules (smoking, etc.) and report to the real police any fake monks they see as it is pretty easy for them to tell the difference. Unfortunately, because they are also monks and have to adhere to their own practices, they can't really hang around on Sukhumvit all day. It is illegal to misrepresent yourself as a Thai monk here. I think that is why the fake monks that I have seen are usually of the Tibetan variety with prayer beads.

He did say that fake monks were more of a problem after the crash in 97' when there were an abundance of fake monks making the morning rounds to get food for their families.

Aloha

Monks have to carry an ID card identifying them as such. In case of doubt, I would ask for a "bat pra jam tua", it is a general expression for any type of ID card other than the normal ID card every Thai citizen has.

A few months ago when I was driving to the district capital, I saw three monks who were hitchhiking. Feeling that I needed to make some merit, I stopped to pick them up. They told me they were on their way to Bangkok, and asked me for money. Knowing that a monk is not supposed to ask for material help (apart from the morning begging round), I politely refused.

Only now, reading this thread, the thought crossed my mind that these three men might not have been genuine monks.

Oh, they seem to travel. One came into my hotel today in Pattaya while I was eating breakfast. I have never seen a Thai monk actually move from table to table before with a bowl out. He was dressed in the regular orange robe but it was tied in a different way than the usual monks in Thailand. Very pushy as well. I was very tempted to pour my coffee over him. He didn't speak Thai, Lao or English so no idea where he is from.

Nice hotel ???

Do they need a work permit, to work as a fake monk, here ? I think the Immigration should be informed !

I like your humour, but of course there is a serious foundation for it.

REAL Buddhist monks here are not allowed to handle, request, or carry money (reality: apart from the older fat ones you see in the banks).

REAL Buddhist monks do not BEG for anything. If you give them food on the early morning alms round it makes merit for YOU, the giver. The recipient monk may acknowledge your 'gift' with a slight nod of the head, but don't be amazed if he does not. By giving, you have helped yourself more than he.

REAL Buddhist monks here in Thailand? Well, 99.9% are REAL Thai! If the one you meet is openly soliciting money; cannot respond to a few polite words of Thai or is outside a temple AFTER DARK, just treat him with the contempt he deserves.

About the rules for monks and smoking, the TGF and I were traveling lately thru Chumpon, and ended up waiting for a bus near an elderly man who clearly was Thai, and was dressed in orange monk's robes.

As we sat waiting having some water at a street cafe, the monk sat alone at an adjoining table, calmly smoking a cigarette. I quietly asked the GF, "Gee, I wouldn't think monks are supposed to be smoking", as in, no smoke, no drink, no XXX.... She replied, yes, really he shouldn't be smoking. But as an elder monk, he was going to do what he wanted to do.

Reminded me of a story in the news a couple months ago on the outskirts of Pattaya wherein the real police caught a bunch of real monks, some young and some really older, partaking in pleasures of the flesh with some local female courtesans... The real monks got arrested, and supposedly were going to be bounced out of their temple.

Just goes to show you...it's not easy to lead a virtuous life in Thailand.... :o

• 1 month later...

I see the same two or three fake monks begging in the tourist heavy area between Soi Cowboy and Soi Nana on Sukhumvit nearly every nite. The thais (given their ultra thai-ness) don't/won't say anything to them, even though they know they're not real monks.

I watched one fake monk near the 7/11 by my Soi for about 10 minutes. In that time; he got close to 1000 baht in "donations" from tourists wandering around. It is certainly a real money making scheme they have going.