BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
GungaDin

Beware Of Fake Monks

BEWARE OF FAKE MONKS

I would like to bring to the attention of tourists and visitors to Bangkok what appears to be fake Buddhist monks soliciting cash donations from foreigners in the vicinity of lower Sukhumvit Road between Nana and Phrom Phong. I have been approached numerous times in the last week. When I questioned local Thais about this it was confirmed that they are fake.

It should be noted that Thai monks do not take monetary donations in this fashion. I challenged one to tell me which Wat he was associated with and he abruptly ran away.

If you are feeling generous and would like to donate to a worthy cause, take the subway to Hua Lumpong. There is a temple next to the exit. A cash donation of 500 baht, for which you will be given an official receipt, will pay for a coffin and burial shroud for a poor person. You will also be guided through a ceremony involving lighting incense and offering prayers at the temple.

Whilst there are numerous scams that can catch the unwary, using the guise of a monk is deplorable and I hope the authorities take action.

Scott Moore

Sydney

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/070908_News/07Sep2008_news98.php

I did some volunteer work at a temple in Bangkok who also took donations and gave reciepts, I couldn't help notice when I was there that there were about 7 nice new cars all in seven different colours of some budhist colour scheme thing, cant remeber what it was, but my wife explained to me that the cars all belonged to the head monk at the temple, all of which had personalised plates. I think if you really want to help the needy and the poor support their markets and stalls, intead of giving it to some one else to dispence the way they see fit.

The fake monks that I saw were not even Thai. They are Chinese and can't speak Thai or English. They can't understand what you are saying. I like to follow them a little and warn the tourists as they walk down Sukhumvit.

One time he held out his cup to me which already had 20baht in it. I gave him a big smile and said, "Oh! Thank you very much!" Then took the 20baht from his cup and gave it to the poor begger lady on the street next to us. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

The fake monks that I saw were not even Thai. They are Chinese and can't speak Thai or English. They can't understand what you are saying. I like to follow them a little and warn the tourists as they walk down Sukhumvit.

One time he held out his cup to me which already had 20baht in it. I gave him a big smile and said, "Oh! Thank you very much!" Then took the 20baht from his cup and gave it to the poor begger lady on the street next to us. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

:o i love that idea. i wish i was there for that. next time i'm doing the same thing.

i told one that i was going to call the police and he ran fast.

By the way Thai people get cremated, not burried.

Burials are normal for Thai people of Chinese decent.

By the way Thai people get cremated, not burried.

Yes, there's hundreds of these in Kuala Lumpur, but wear different colour robes (yellow and sometimes dark red) to Thai monks. They are also very well turned out, i.e. good shoes, expensive glasses and generally look quite smart. Of course they're scamming but didn't think they'd made it to Thailand yet. The other poster was right - they are nearly all Chinese entrepreneurs.

By the way, do you work for Mermaids? :o

Yes, there's hundreds of these in Kuala Lumpur, but wear different colour robes (yellow and sometimes dark red) to Thai monks.

The ones i have seen in KL are Thais, especially around Jalan Sultan. They are all fake, and make a good business.

where is the difference if i give something to a fake monk or a real monk?

such expose-the-fake-monks knights i saw a couple of times on suk&vomit road. more disgusting than a fake monk. next life try something else, less advanced then a dimwit, request a downgrade. thank you.

Do they need a work permit, to work as a fake monk, here ? I think the Immigration should be informed !