BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
imaneggspurt

My Friends Robbed At Their Home While They Slept !

we have an alarm system fitted on all windows and doors ,with a panic button next to the bed,a few weeks ago i opened a window without thinking ,you should have heard the noise ,in minutes we had an assortment of neighbours the usually sleeping security guard and half the soi dogs in Pattaya outside our house and a very embarrased me standing in the doorway in my shorts .

moral get an alarm if anyone tries to break in the bloody noise would have them on the run in a flash.

glad you and the familly are ok.

That happened to me so I had the alarm set to give me 15 seconds to reset - it just goes beep beep beep before it goes bonkers and gives me a heart attack!!!

Sorry about the OPs story, but it can happen to anyone. Years ago a friend of mine was a Police Sergeant in Manchester. He often told the story of the burglar who entered his flat through a tiny window whilst he and his wife were sleeping in the next room and even nicked his Sergeant's Uniform jacket!!!

I have a small dog who would bark the house down if anyone came in at night and would then lick the burglar into submission!

Edited by dsfbrit

yeah there's just as much thai on thai as there is thai on foreigner robbery.

simple case - we stopped on the highway last weekend on the way up to BKK to buy some fruit from one of those single people with an umbrella on the side of the road, my girlfriend spoke to her for a bit and asked 'how was business', she said 'really good. lots of customers, except we get robbed all the time'....

thai men are rolling up, hitting them and taking their money. happened like 2 mins before we were there to the other girl about 100m up the road, when we drove off we saw her stand with all the food there still and no person selling it.

like even in the news that thai guy who shot the kids stealing bikes...

I've heard other stories, foreigner houses must be a better target than most houses on average, but a quick smash and grab can be on anyone, possessions or not - they don't know until they are in.

i'm considering moving further north or south, I think it's pattaya - more people than good paying jobs, plus addictions to support, same goes for any overcrowded city.

Sorry to burst the bubble foxxx but crime & break ins happen all over LOS, not just Pattaya, maybe farang owned homes are more visible & a more bountiful job but it happens to the thais too, for example, my in laws are in a small town in Khon kaen & their house is like fort knoxs at night with a couple of hungry dogs roaming inside the gates & the house is never, I mean never ever unoccupied, one of the rellies is always home, at all times 24/7. if we do a day trip, someone is always left at home.

These are older thais living in their home town but they do not trust that they are safe just cause they are thai & local & they don't have that much worth nicking either. They see life as is, good & bad existing everywhere & take suitable precautiosn to help prevent it happeneing to them. :o Sorry to the ops friends.

A house dog is a good idea. I don't particularly like those big mean guard dogs. First of all, they sort of advertise that you have something worth stealing. Secondly, they can be quite aggressive toward everyone.

A house dog gets used to what is permissible and what isn't. My dog has different barks for different things. A strange cat wondering through the garden gets a little "ruff-ruff", friends get a loud, but friendly bark--sort of a happy bark. Strangers get a very loud, aggressive and unending bark until I open the door and let them in. You learn what they are 'saying.'

In the USA (Colorado at least) they have the 'Make my day' law..... It's okay to kill a person inside your home as long as you feel your life is threatened. So if someone robs you and you chase them outside, if you kill them in your yard be sure to drag the body back into your house and plant a knife in the person's hand.

Check out a movie I just watched a few nights ago.... 'Felon'

Bad idea. My forensic team would have figured that you dragged him in two seconds and then you would be have been charged with all sorts of thing - disturbing a crime scene - conspiracy to ...

Murder?

If they are running let them go. If you feel you are in danger and they don't run then by all means protect yourself.

I think it is clear that the best option would be to avoid any conflict with these intruders, who knows what they are capable of doing. they know where you live, but you don't know where they live.

Having said that, it would be nice to have some pepper spray just in case, anyone know where to buy? Same with the motion detectors.

Having said that, it would be nice to have some pepper spray just in case, anyone know where to buy?

I used to have pepper spray which my boyfriend purchased for me from a Thai website. If you can't find in Pattaya, try having a Thai search online for you. Maybe marketathome.com .. Or try the 'gadget' stalls which often set up in big C selling telescopes ect. I'm sure Ive seen them selling pepper spray.

{ Off topic, but A little funny story about an incident we had with pepper spray. We went to Big C cinema and I had my boyfriend carry the pepper spray in his bag because I didn't take mine. A lady could not see the seat numbers and asked if anyone had a light. My bf was also carrying a miniature torch (shaped very similar to the pepper spray) .. He reached in his bag, said "Ive got a torch" and pressed the button on the top to switch it on. He then realized he had mistaken the pepper spray for the torch!! Luckily it was sprayed into the air and not on the lady, but it just missed the guys head in front of us. Several people were coughing but no-one seriously suffering from it, luckily. So just be careful if you do carry pepper spray that you dont 'accidently' spray it. Its VERY strong! }

I did not see anything in the Thai news reports about this, although I suppose not all burglarys can be reported.

For those of you interested. English laws have changed recently allowing burglars and intruders to be murdered in cold blood by householders, except for being stabbed in the back or ambushed deliberately.

Good news at last in England.

Libya, this is very nice law huh...at least its fair..household just have to be very sure to hit the spot of the burglars...other wise....

I remember posting in another thread that either myself or the wife locks the bedroom door from the inside, whoever is the last one to bed, every night. To us, it seems logical to secure the room you are asleep in although some thought it unusual. So that forms our 'safe room' if someone breaks in elsewhere in the house. They can have what they want.

My Houston house was burgled while I slept upstairs and my buddy was crashed out on the sofa downstairs (it had been a Monday Night Football, pizza delivery and a bottle of Jack Daniels night). He only realised something was amiss when he woke up and went for a piss and noticed the cigar humidors were gone. When he opened the guest bedroom door, he saw it had been 'turned over' and was going to holler up the stairs when he realised the buggers could be still in the house. He crept upstairs very, very slowly and woke me. I called the cops who showed up 45 minutes later. Only after going through the rooms with the police did I realise that they had come upstairs as some stuff in the games room had been tossed around as well. They had removed a mossie screen and entered through an unlatched bathroom window.

Over the past 28 years, I have lived in the UK, Thailand, Brazil and the US and have had 3 housebreak-ins and a car break-in, all in Houston. The outside doors in the 'up-country' residence here are never locked but the bedroom doors are, whereas the Pattaya home gets the whole deadlock and padlock treatment each night.

I am never sure of the value of a burglar alarm as I tripped the Houston one on a Friday afternoon and nobody batted an eyelid and it was bloody loud.

With the growing crime rate and increasing value of properties and their contents in Pattaya for both expats and the Thais with holiday homes here, you would think that a market does exist for a 'Brinks' or 'ATS' style home security system. One that you subscribe to meaning your house is monitored 24/7 by a private company who would call the police in the event of an alarm going off. However, if the local police can't be arsed to respond, then it would be a wasted investment.

I am never sure of the value of a burglar alarm as I tripped the Houston one on a Friday afternoon and nobody batted an eyelid and it was bloody loud.

The preventive effect of a burglar alarm is not that it may cause others to come but the psychological effect it has on the burglar, first as a deterrent, second, I doubt any burglar is cool enough to continue burglarizing a house with three 130 db sirens inside and outside the house going crazy.

The preventive effect of a burglar alarm is not that it may cause others to come but the psychological effect it has on the burglar, first as a deterrent, second, I doubt any burglar is cool enough to continue burglarizing a house with three 130 db sirens inside and outside the house going crazy.

You are probably right there. The thing was so loud it hurt and I was sweating like a rapist by the time I had it silenced.

if you manage, that nobody is using the garden,

you can put some traps there, and listen to the sound, during the night.

Picture40.jpg

I heard on Sophon cable recently, that electric fencing is now legal in Thailand (however not a deadly current...).

Mentioned before, we had bad experiences with break ins, and moved to a condo. Knock wood, it is much safer and one does not have to worry about all these issues.

As nice as a house in the east of Pattaya can be....it would give me too much headache about security, so we moved away.

I did not see anything in the Thai news reports about this, although I suppose not all burglarys can be reported.

For those of you interested. English laws have changed recently allowing burglars and intruders to be murdered in cold blood by householders, except for being stabbed in the back or ambushed deliberately.

Good news at last in England.

And when did THAT law come in????

Because the last time i looked at this very subject, it was still an offence to not display what anti vandal/intruder measures the householder has taken to protect his property, even (let alone become a "have a go hero"). This was in the form of sinage for things like anti-vandal paint, barbed wire/broken glass atop walls and CCTV cameras in operation etc, etc.

There have been recent quite high profile cases in the press here, where householders were arrested for doing just what you are saying is now the law. Some of the cheeky bastards even going to court and winning compensation claims against those who tried to prevent their own property from being taken !!!!!

Any link to such a change in legislation would be welcomed. therefore

Penkoprod

The law in the UK now states that you can use REASONABLE FORCE if you are confronted with an intruder.

However you may end up in court if you caused the intuder injury, and you got a scare.

Compensation to be awarded depending on the injury to the nice person who mistook your house for theirs.

Honest iI did your honor, I had taken some pills and I realy did think it was my house.

Without any link i am tempted to take this with a HUGE pinch of salt, tbh

I have heard such phrases as "the law in the UK now states........etc, etc" for about 20 years and then some case crops up in the press where someone has done JUST that (used reasonable force) and gets prosecuted.

Even if it WAS law, what kind of "wishy washy" phrase is ...reasonable force?

Open to interpretation, if you ask me. So i wouldnt break out the baseball bats JUST yet :o

Penkoprod

I heard on Sophon cable recently, that electric fencing is now legal in Thailand

It never was illegal here, just not well known. There are some DIY systems here and even some not so DIY ones that should be illegal but TIT.