Transfer Mini Dv Tape To Dvd Using Computer

PattayaDavid

I attended the World Championship 2008 bowling tournament in Bangkok several weeks ago and recorded some bowling footage over the course of the tournament on my Sony Handycam model DCR-PC105 Pal.  I would like to copy or transfer this video and audio footage to DVD using my computer.  My Sony Handycam has a 4-pin Firewire connector, but my PC has a 6-pin connector.  I have a 4-pin firewire cable, is it possible to purchase an adaptor to convert 4-pin to 6-pin or do I need to purchase a new cable that has one 4-pin and one 6-pin connector?

In the absence of a 6-pin cable, I guess I could use my laptop to do the transfer.  What I think I need from you is your software recommendation for making this transfer smooth and easy.  What format do you recommend I use to save the video .avi etc.?  Any how-to tips in order to avoid a hair pulling experience?  I presently have Nero 7.9 Premium loaded on my computer, is this a good program to use?  I am open to any and all suggestions as this will be the first time I've ever tried to transfer video from a camera.

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Pretty sure the 105 also has a 5-pin USB out as well, you can hook that into your PC and use Nero to capture as well as burning. As to to format for burning, it would depend on what your DVD can play. I believe the premium version has Authoring software that will let you burn a DVD with chapters and the like, if not Nero 8 does and can be downloaded with a 15 day full trial.