Dealer Service Overcharge?

lordofdelusion

I needed to have the shocks replaced on my 2001 Honda CRV. Took it to the dealership here in Phuket. 17,000 Baht!!! Seems like a lot. But then I haven't had any service done here before so I don't know if I was the victim of 2 tier pricing or what.

What do you think??

All four corners?

Maybe does seem a bit high, considering that the labour charges wouldn't have come to much. Maybe not though - I have a friend with a Nissan something or other that was charged 7kBaht for two rear shocks so not too different.

I doubt that you would suffer from dual pricing at a main dealership. I've always found the Honda dealer here in Pattaya to be very professional and inexpensive. Mind you, I haven't had to change the shocks yet!

DM

Honda Pattaya told me mine needed replacing because the car was making a noise even over small bumps in the road. The know-it-all-man at Honda said that is a normal sound, GF tore him off a strip and told him it is not normal and to fix the problem and quit being lazy. He turned bright red and took the car away for another look. Turned out that EVERY suspension bolt and pivot was loose and just needed tightening. Cost was zero. This in itself was worrying because the vehicle had only been serviced in their workshops and they should have picked up this problem up before it became a problem.

They quoted me before they found the real problem, for suspension shocks and parts:

Front shocks pair B 23108

Rear shocks pair B 23342

They do like to tell you that the shocks have gone and will do so even after 70,000k so check them yourself by jumping up and down on the corner of the car and see how much it bounces compared to a new one.

Unless you got very high mileage and it is seriously affecting the handling I would seriously question the need to replace them. My CRV is also 2001 model. Which incidentaly is about two times better than my new 2008 CRV