Samak Bows Out

Buckwheat

Samak bows out

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej said he will end his role as leader of People Power Party.

Samak's former secretary general Theerapon Nop-ampa quoted Samak as saying he had done his best as leader of PPP and to protect the country's democracy.

"From now on, everything and every decision will depend on the PPP," said Theerapon.

However he stopped short of saying when he will resign.

The Nation 12 September 08

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So who now will be the poor unfortunate take the helm of Thaksin inc?

Whoever does so is putting their future on the line. It probbaly wont worry an old has been like Samak who has nothing to look forward to but the names being put forward may not want to spend the rest of their days in exile or worse if things go wrong and not a lot has gone right for the PPP recently. Someone will have to take a long hard think before accepting the position of PPP head.

I wonder how Newin and the red guards will take this? Newin doesnt usually take defeat very well, and he was the one trying to get Samak back as PM at all costs.

Well right now there is an opening for compromise. However, compromise is a disaster for Thaksin's plan so I doubt we will get it unless his party does start to split away from him.

Whoever does so is putting their future on the line. It probbaly wont worry an old has been like Samak who has nothing to look forward to but the names being put forward may not want to spend the rest of their days in exile or worse if things go wrong and not a lot has gone right for the PPP recently. Someone will have to take a long hard think before accepting the position of PPP head.

I wonder how Newin and the red guards will take this? Newin doesnt usually take defeat very well, and he was the one trying to get Samak back as PM at all costs.

Well right now there is an opening for compromise. However, compromise is a disaster for Thaksin's plan so I doubt we will get it unless his party does start to split away from him.

Ok this is cynical- but I agree Hammered- whoever the PPP puts up, will be tainted in the mind of the PAD. the PAD has fought two major battles in two years- won them both. But there are more battles to fight. So maybe its time the PAD just appointed a government,.

Edited by blaze

Ok this is cynical- but I agree Hammered- the PAD has fought two major battles in two years- won them both. But there are more battles to fight. So maybe its time the PAD just appointed a government,.

They have not won this one yet. Samak did not resign.

Ok this is cynical- but I agree Hammered- the PAD has fought two major battles in two years- won them both. But there are more battles to fight. So maybe its time the PAD just appointed a government,.

It does now feel more like a traditonal power vacuum at this point. Thaksin is far away, as is Newin iirc, and the PPP are assailed from all sides. The PPP consists of very powerful family and clan politicians. I guess they are not going to fight to the death for Thaksin if they sense him losing and the further away he is and the more fianacial clout his enemies have the harder it will be for him to compete. The next few weeks and months will be critical because if compromise happens, that is it for him. Calming down national tensions and reconcilliation is politicain code for bin the constitution ammendments. If that happens we are in a post Thaksin world. It is not certain yet but looks more likely with th eThaksin hardliners defeat today.

As for the PAD. Who knows. It depends on the PM choice and what happens in parliament. It will be good for them if a super Thaksin loyalist is cvhosen as that means more conflict and more sympathy from powerful sectors for new politcs. Oddly if Thaksin fights it is good for the PAD. If compromise occurs Thaksin loses but so do the PAD with their new politcal goal.

Intersting times.

Edited to add: assuming the Samak resigning the party leadership and PPP membership are accurate and not just some ploy :o

Edited by hammered

Now This

PPP key members and Samak to discuss PM vote

(BangkokPost.com) - Three People Power party (PPP) core members on Friday evening planned to meet their leader and disqualified prime minister Samak Sundaravej to discuss whether he will carry on running for the premier’s post again or withdraw himself.

The three core members included caretaker premier Somchai Wongsawat, caretaker deputy prime minister and finance minister Surapong Suebwonglee and caretaker justice minister Sompong Amornwiwat.

The parliamentary meeting was rescheduled to next Wednesday by House Speaker Chai Chidchob after less than half of MPs showed up on Friday morning to vote for the new prime minister.

The no-show took place because many coalition parties were reportedly not satisfied with the nomination of Mr Samak by the PPP.

The PPP’s Isaan Pattana (Developed Northeast) faction reported that it is ready to follow the party’s resolution no matter who the candidate may be.

The faction key member and caretaker culture minister, Somsak Kiatsuranont, also turned down the rumours that Mr Samak may quit the PPP to allow other candidate to be voted as prime minister next Wednesday.

Mr Samak as well as Mr Surapong did not resign from the party, Mr Somsak insisted.

Now This

PPP key members and Samak to discuss PM vote

(BangkokPost.com) - Three People Power party (PPP) core members on Friday evening planned to meet their leader and disqualified prime minister Samak Sundaravej to discuss whether he will carry on running for the premier’s post again or withdraw himself.

The three core members included caretaker premier Somchai Wongsawat, caretaker deputy prime minister and finance minister Surapong Suebwonglee and caretaker justice minister Sompong Amornwiwat.

The parliamentary meeting was rescheduled to next Wednesday by House Speaker Chai Chidchob after less than half of MPs showed up on Friday morning to vote for the new prime minister.

The no-show took place because many coalition parties were reportedly not satisfied with the nomination of Mr Samak by the PPP.

The PPP’s Isaan Pattana (Developed Northeast) faction reported that it is ready to follow the party’s resolution no matter who the candidate may be.

The faction key member and caretaker culture minister, Somsak Kiatsuranont, also turned down the rumours that Mr Samak may quit the PPP to allow other candidate to be voted as prime minister next Wednesday.

Mr Samak as well as Mr Surapong did not resign from the party, Mr Somsak insisted.

10 MBaht per MP...Thaksin put some money in?

Samak ends political role

And, can someone please explain to me the reasons that Abbisit would ask to be elected as PM?...I thought he was a "Democrat" (used loosely) How on earth can an "opposition" candidate expect to be elected as PM, when the PPP are in power...this government/country is becoming a laughing stock!

I think they're looking at the possibility of forming a "special coalition" government with participation from opposition MPs in the Cabinet.

And, can someone please explain to me the reasons that Abbisit would ask to be elected as PM?...I thought he was a "Democrat" (used loosely) How on earth can an "opposition" candidate expect to be elected as PM, when the PPP are in power...this government/country is becoming a laughing stock!

I think they're looking at the possibility of forming a "special coalition" government with participation from opposition MPs in the Cabinet.

Weird, I heard that Baharn was in talk with "higher authority" to form a new government with the "democrats" and that the deal was he will bring with him half of the current coalition members (??). But so far I thought it was after fresh election following the fall of the current government. But as someone said before "Ooops, it was not supposed to happend this way" ???

well the hope that some PPP leave the party and the other coalition partners change side.

Sound strange for farangs but it is normal here....like buying or selling a party

Weird, I heard that Baharn was in talk with "higher authority" to form a new government with the "democrats" and that the deal was he will bring with him half of the current coalition members (??). But so far I thought it was after fresh election following the fall of the current government. But as someone said before "Ooops, it was not supposed to happend this way" ???

Well Banharn....there is a reason they call him Banharn the Eel.

If he speaks 1 word three lies come out of his mouth.

with roughly the same popular vote as PPP (although less seats) and being that PPP was always a minority in the house needing to form a coalition, Dems have equal right to try to form a govt if the PPP cannot.

I say bring on another election; with the fear of a few more red cards and slightly more aware voters, I suspect we would end up with a better distribution of votes to form a decent government - one rural idiots/gangster party plus one party for the city folk rather than the mess we have now with several rural idiots/gangster parties together with no brain power among them.

with roughly the same popular vote as PPP (although less seats) and being that PPP was always a minority in the house needing to form a coalition, Dems have equal right to try to form a govt if the PPP cannot.

I say bring on another election; with the fear of a few more red cards and slightly more aware voters, I suspect we would end up with a better distribution of votes to form a decent government - one rural idiots/gangster party plus one party for the city folk rather than the mess we have now with several rural idiots/gangster parties together with no brain power among them.

Excuse me "rural idiots".

Can't say more or it would be deleted.

If you forget political correctness for a moment - anyone sincerely voting for PPP needs to have his brain checked. Ok, many thought that they'd bring Thaksin back if they elect PPP, but that was a very tall order, too, not a sign of a mature voter.

Or did they hope that it's possible to have a puppet government and a puppet party running the whole country with TRT and Thaksin pulling the strings in the back? That's downright subversion.

I understand people's love for TRT, I understand their nostalgic feelings, but PPP is simply not the same thing no matter what they say. They didn't have any policies that set them apart like TRT did and they had a moron for a leader who had some spectacular walk-outs when he took to the stage in PPP's heartland.

Far more plausible explanation is that they simply stayed with their gangster pooyais, the devil they know.

I can't see, on this thread at least, a source for this claim ?

So some sort of 'national reconciliation' government, to try to bridge the rift, in the country ? Excellent news, if so.

And Samak departs relatively peacefully after all, having had several months 'at the helm', and having been less of a nominee/puppet than originally feared might have been the case.

Hopefully now, and depending on further announcements from the PPP/coalition, the PAD might now pull back to their former role, of simply highlighting corruption wherever it is found. Which would also be a good thing IMHO.

But it is still very early days... :o

rural idiots/gangster parties together with no brain power among them.

The rice on your plate, where does it come from ? Answer this question before making such stupid comments !

I like to eat rice but still wouldn't allow a farmer to perform my heart surgery if I needed one.