Samak Bows Out

Buckwheat

Educating them is not a matter of going to school, it's a matter of giving them access to information, and PAD did reasonably well by providing a wide coverage of ASTV. Now they at least aware of the alternative view point to the usual government propaganda, even if they learn about it from their local PPP demagogues rather than the source itself.

Please be serious, you can't mean that listening to ASTV can be thought of as education. It's a media outlet of poor quality , expounding one extreme point of view. Come on get a grip on reality, you can't surely see that this would be of more value than going to school. It is one point of view and only that; hardly many intellectual debates going on there.

If you are really serious about education you would know that the best thing would be a balanced variety of sources and I think it is a dangerous premise to say that this should be based on TV stations. If you are to have a rounded point of view you need to base it on the printed word first and formerly. That is because TV broadcasts are far to open to emotive performances and pulling all the strings minus the rational ones. There are of course a few exceptions with some balanced programs but rarely on ASTV

To say that you should get your political education from the ASTV and any other extreme TV channel is just beyond a joke.

Is the next step to cut out education entirely so they all become illiterate, then they can only listen to the TV. Hey who needs to read when you can hear everything on the TV.

Take Pakistan as a case in point where now many people even in remote areas have access to satellite TV but still the illiteracy rate is very high.

Manipulation is the name of the game.

If we want to be even handed on manipulation we should also mention the vast TRT/PPP bought and paid for headman network that reaches far more people than ASTV and which serves the same purpose - to manipulate opinion. Then again maybe people dont want to be even handed;)

Of course free and quality education would be preferable to either, but while ASTV could easily close shutting down the propoganda networks which by the way dont want to see eduactional opportunity improved is a lot harder.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It appears another national disgrace that mob rule has won over democracy.

Shameful!

Put you understand that the PPP did not reelect Samak??

What you say is true. It was democracy in action. Admittedly a bit chaotic but it was through parlaimentary procedure that the message went to Samak that he had lost supportof the parliamentary majority that chooe the PM. The angry retorts of those who seem to take it as a persoanl slight or the death of democracy that the supreme elected body has at least for now rejected in its own way the choice of the ex-PM (and remember PMs are not directly elected) is truly astounding and seems to indicate more a slavish tie to repeating the propoganda of a partuicular group within the largest party in the parliament. Quite amazing really.

Educating them is not a matter of going to school, it's a matter of giving them access to information, and PAD did reasonably well by providing a wide coverage of ASTV. Now they at least aware of the alternative view point to the usual government propaganda, even if they learn about it from their local PPP demagogues rather than the source itself.

Please be serious, you can't mean that listening to ASTV can be thought of as education. It's a media outlet of poor quality , expounding one extreme point of view. Come on get a grip on reality, you can't surely see that this would be of more value than going to school. It is one point of view and only that; hardly many intellectual debates going on there.

If you are really serious about education you would know that the best thing would be a balanced variety of sources and I think it is a dangerous premise to say that this should be based on TV stations. If you are to have a rounded point of view you need to base it on the printed word first and formerly. That is because TV broadcasts are far to open to emotive performances and pulling all the strings minus the rational ones. There are of course a few exceptions with some balanced programs but rarely on ASTV

To say that you should get your political education from the ASTV and any other extreme TV channel is just beyond a joke.

Is the next step to cut out education entirely so they all become illiterate, then they can only listen to the TV. Hey who needs to read when you can hear everything on the TV.

Take Pakistan as a case in point where now many people even in remote areas have access to satellite TV but still the illiteracy rate is very high.

If we want to be even handed on manipulation we should also mention the vast TRT/PPP bought and paid for headman network that reaches far more people than ASTV and which serves the same purpose - to manipulate opinion. Then again maybe people dont want to be even handed;)

Of course free and quality education would be preferable to either, but while ASTV could easily close shutting down the propoganda networks which by the way dont want to see eduactional opportunity improved is a lot harder.

When you talk about the party networks, there is no question that money changes hands, but it does so on both sides. That of the opposition and that of the government. Not only vote buying but buying of local influential people and representatives. Lets face it both sides are guilty of that. It is going to be difficult to find a way forward unless there is some kind of admission that both sides are guilty of money politics. However there is another layer of politics where the south generally is more democrat and the North and North and North East is generally the opposite. That is how it is and how it has evolved. People there (N&NE) will generally vote for parties that are not seen as Bangkok centric.

My point with the TV stations that lay at the outer limits of one point of view is that they encourage extremism. That extremism will manifest itself according to history and biases already held. If we are looking to encourage a political system where some kind of middle ground can be occupied I don't see these media mouthpieces as they way forward.

When you talk about the party networks, there is no question that money changes hands, but it does so on both sides. That of the opposition and that of the government. Not only vote buying but buying of local influential people and representatives. Lets face it both sides are guilty of that. It is going to be difficult to find a way forward unless there is some kind of admission that both sides are guilty of money politics. However there is another layer of politics where the south generally is more democrat and the North and North and North East is generally the opposite. That is how it is and how it has evolved. People there (N&NE) will generally vote for parties that are not seen as Bangkok centric.

My point with the TV stations that lay at the outer limits of one point of view is that they encourage extremism. That extremism will manifest itself according to history and biases already held. If we are looking to encourage a political system where some kind of middle ground can be occupied I don't see these media mouthpieces as they way forward.

ASTV built up , and here I dont defend its content, becuase the government at the time of its rise controlled state media rigidly, used advertsing revenue withholding and billion baht defamation cases to control the press, and it controlled most of the village networks. Things like ASTV will always be with us while there is state interference in other forms of media. Since th decline of Thaksin there are at least one national TV station and a couple of newspapers that are more critical of government, but they still have a way to go and there are other media forms that need freeing from overt state control whatever form it takes - government, military etc

What ASTV broadcasts is not to my liking but at one time they were just about the only media outlet critical of what was at least an overly authoritarian and probbaly corrupt government. It is never easy to just say extremist positions must not be given a platform, when the alternative is so often another form of propoganda. I tend to think allowing unfettered media is best. Didnt Mencken say something like the only way to have a free press is to own one?

I say 'no representation without taxation'

If you don't pay tax, you're not a genuine stakeholder, so don't deserve a say in how the budget is spent.

Many PPP voters don't pay a satang in tax, so of course they vote for parties that offer them giveaways funded by someone else i.e Joe Taxpayer.

Journalist should have said "direct" taxation otherwise correct.

In other developed countries these PPP voters would be classed as working in the "BLACK" economy and their taxpayers would be pissed off if they were funding givaways to them.

This goes back to Taksin when he redistributed taxpayers money to help the people struggling upcountry,then taxpayers went on holiday/bussiness and saw they were struggling, but it was struggling to get their fully loaded trollys to their brand new 3ltr 4wd pickups in Big C Carrfour Tesco etc!.

They should make a rule that you need a high school education or better to vote.

:o The -racist- quote of the day.

You're saying that anyone with a lesser than high school education is lower class and not educated/intelligent enough to vote, is that right ?

Tell that to any Western media, Television, newspaper and the mob will lynch you.

I suggest you jump in a car into the rural areas of Thailand and have a nice few chats with some farmers and tell them that.

PS: don't forget to write us what happened, OK ?

LaoPo

people who think that someone who made it thru high school is a different race should also not be allowed to vote.

Never heard of Model Minority Racism I suppose ?

Racism is not always about a certain race h90, but maybe you never learned, otherwise you wouldn't have written such a dumb sentence.

Your vitriol language is noted but I don't see why you should speak for someone else unless you are brothers in law and he's mute since he wrote that awful sentence...... :D

But I hope that nobody takes away your vote no matter the education, if any.

LaoPo

They should make a rule that you need a high school education or better to vote.

You're saying that anyone with a lesser than high school education is lower class and not educated/intelligent enough to vote, is that right ?

Tell that to any Western media, Television, newspaper and the mob will lynch you.

I suggest you jump in a car into the rural areas of Thailand and have a nice few chats with some farmers and tell them that.

LaoPo

people who think that someone who made it thru high school is a different race should also not be allowed to vote.

Racism is not always about a certain race h90, but maybe you never learned, otherwise you wouldn't have written such a dumb sentence.

Your vitriol language is noted but I don't see why you should speak for someone else unless you are brothers in law and he's mute since he wrote that awful sentence...... :D

LaoPo

my dictionary is telling:

racism

noun [mass noun] the belief

that all members of each race

possess characteristics,

abilities, or qualities specific

to that race, especially so as

to distinguish it as inferior or

superior to another race or

races.

n

prejudice, discrimination,

or antagonism directed

against someone of a

different race based on

such a belief....

rural idiots

Sorry to repeat myself, but I would like an answer.

The rice on your plate, where does it come from ?

Answer: peasant (rice) farmers.

I don't want a government chosen by a plurality of the electorate, especially when the plurality happen to be peasants in an Old World, 3rd World society, culture, civilization.

In my country farmers have degrees/diplomas in agronomics and in high-tech agriculture. I may not agree with how agriculturalists in the U.S. vote, but at least I know they're not Old World, 3rd World peasants.

In the U.S. 3% of the workforce works in agriculture; in Thailand it's almost 50%. The percentage in the U.S. is consistent with the two dozen or so other advanced economies of the world, primarily in the West. The quantitative reality happens to constitute a significant qualitative difference.

Edited by Publicus

LaoPo

LaoPo

racism

possess characteristics,

races.

n

or antagonism directed

against someone of a

different race based on

such a belief....

Have a look when your dictionary was first published. Languages and words are evolving and 'living' and not dead like Latin.

There are many types of racism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_racism

http://www.socialpolicy.ca/52100/m17/m17-t2.stm

However, maybe "Discrimination" would have been the word, better and easier understood in my message, rather than "Racism".

LaoPo

When you grew up under a tribal system (Issan) - the concept of one man one vote is rather nebulous.

Maybe these folks aren't ready for representative Democracy. Ever consider that?

Maybe "President for life" would be better. Think Hosni Mubarak, Suharto, Ferdinand Marcos, Hafez al Assad.

When you grew up under a tribal system (Issan) - the concept of one man one vote is rather nebulous.

Maybe these folks aren't ready for representative Democracy. Ever consider that?

Maybe "President for life" would be better. Think Hosni Mubarak, Suharto, Ferdinand Marcos, Hafez al Assad.

:DYou call growing up in Issan, Tribal ???...and the one-man-one-vote nebulous/vague/cloudy/misty/hazy :D Did you ever ask them ?

You know what ? I think that every single poor farmer in Issan knows EXACTLY what one-man-one-vote means; just go out there and ask. I hope they leave you in pieces.

Did you also ask them if they're ready for democracy ?

You have a very strange way for saying that the rural poor are not fit to vote :o

LaoPo

We get ours at Big C.

Whats this got to do with Samak's resignation though?

What about a minimum IQ to have the right to post here ?

Yes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Reading the posters that like to go on about how in their exhaulted opinion (and PADs) the ignorant Issan voters should not be entitled to vote, it would indeed be interesting to see if they would submit to the same criteria to post here.

How about confirmation of a either university degree or an IQ test to qualify for TV? Might get a bit quiet around here though.

LaoPo

LaoPo

racism

possess characteristics,

races.

n

or antagonism directed

against someone of a

different race based on

such a belief....

Have a look when your dictionary was first published. Languages and words are evolving and 'living' and not dead like Latin.

However, maybe "Discrimination" would have been the word, better and easier understood in my message, rather than "Racism".

LaoPo

I agree with Discrimination. But aren't the uneducated not always discriminated? The worker earns less than the bank director. For many jobs you have some minimum education....Why not with the election??

I am actually not for high school level to be allowed to vote. But I would agree to an simple exam before you are allowed to vote. Really simple, just to show you know some basics about the country and how it runs. Only kick out the people who only drink all the day.

rural idiots

Answer: peasant (rice) farmers.

I don't want a government chosen by a plurality of the electorate, especially when the plurality happen to be peasants in an Old World, 3rd World society, culture, civilization.

In my country farmers have degrees/diplomas in agronomics and in high-tech agriculture. I may not agree with how agriculturalists in the U.S. vote, but at least I know they're not Old World, 3rd World peasants.

In the U.S. 3% of the workforce works in agriculture; in Thailand it's almost 50%. The percentage in the U.S. is consistent with the two dozen or so other advanced economies of the world, primarily in the West. The quantitative reality happens to constitute a significant qualitative difference.

Yes and of course the US has the Bible Belt Fundamentalist Christians happy to vote for any right wing gun totin' idiot if his religious outlook is correct irrespective of whether he would form a good government. There are those who would also question their level of intelligence in voting just as they do the Isaan farmers.

You enfranchise the population or you don't. Seizing Territory 101 - Integrate the new population into the existing one. So after doing a good job of creating a "Thai" society lets now start with disenfranchising Isaan after all they really aren't real Siamese are they? The South should be sorted out next, and come on those Lanna people say funny things like jaow instead of ka, they should also go.

One of the three " S's " might not make the finals...

about2.jpg

Pranee Suebwonglee

Constitution Court to probe Deputy Prime Minister’s wife

The Constitutional Court will review the case in which the wife of caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee is accused of holding shares in private businesses exceeding the legal limit.

Senator Reungkrai Leekitwattana said he had filed the motion to the Constitutional Court via the Senate Speaker.

The motion accuses the wife of caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Seubwonglee of holding shares in a private business exceeding the legal limit.

Reungkrai is known for filing the case in which the Constituional Court disqualified People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej from the premiership for hosting 2 television shows.

In the case of Pranee Suebwonglee, the appointed senator said the wife of Surapong has held 50% to 95% of stakes in 9 juristic bodies, which exceeds the 5% legal limit.

The senator said such an action violates Article 267, 268, and 269 of the 2007 Constitution; therefore, the caretaker minister's tenure must come to an end because of the breach, according to Article 182 of the charter.

Senator Reungkrai also made the observation that the 9 juristic bodies in which the Deputy Prime Minister's wife holds stakes are registered under the same address.

- TOC / 2008-09-13

===================================================

When added to own his indictment in the separate lottery case, Surapong's chances are fading...

Edited by sriracha john

:DYou call growing up in Issan, Tribal ???...and the one-man-one-vote nebulous/vague/cloudy/misty/hazy :D Did you ever ask them ?

You know what ? I think that every single poor farmer in Issan knows EXACTLY what one-man-one-vote means; just go out there and ask. I hope they leave you in pieces.

You have a very strange way for saying that the rural poor are not fit to vote :o

LaoPo

the usual Isaan former knows one man one vote 200 Baht. And happily tells you that he is not interested in politics at all.....

Taking money=not fit. The others who are not corrupt are fit.

The Constitutional Court will review the case in which the wife of caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee is accused of holding shares in private businesses exceeding the legal limit...In the case of Pranee Suebwonglee, the appointed senator said the wife of Surapong has held 50% to 95% of stakes in 9 juristic bodies, which exceeds the 5% legal limit...The senator said such an action violates Article 267, 268, and 269 of the 2007 Constitution; therefore, the caretaker minister's tenure must come to an end because of the breach, according to Article 182 of the charter.

When added to own his indictment in the separate lottery case, Surapong's chances are fading...

Don't they ever learn? Go team!!!

LaoPo

the usual Isaan former knows one man one vote 200 Baht. And happily tells you that he is not interested in politics at all.....

Do you seriously see the disenfranchisement of the poor as a political situation?

Anyone who is very poor is going to take money offered to them and whether they change their vote is up to them.

That fact also doesn't mean to say that those in a better financial situation would not accept money for their vote.

Are you going to exclude the poor just because they are more likely to take payment or are you just going to wait and catch them all accepting money. If that is the case shouldn't you be after the people that are offering the payments rather than taking them.

The truth of the matter is that everybody knows about politics, not only the highly educated. Politics is basically about social systems and systems of power. Everybody in this country has an idea of how these work whether on a local or a national level. It is how the power system and government affects them and their livelihood, for some people the outlook will be broader and some narrower. Just because this manifests itself differently in the life of an Isan farmer when compared to a high level city bureaucrat or a factory worker or a banker etc doesn't mean to say it is less relevant or less meaningful. Each persons life is affected differently and produces different decisions.

The truth of politics is that not everyone will be basing their decisions on the same standards as you; it's called human diversity.

One of the measures of a humane society is that it recognises inequality but strives to retain a balance and bring society closer together. By suggesting the disenfranchisement of a portion of the population you are driving the wedge in to further the imbalance and drive them further apart. What you are suggesting is against democratic and humane principles and goes against what many people have fought for (especially last century), often paying with their lives.

LaoPo

Do you seriously see the disenfranchisement of the poor as a political situation?

Anyone who is very poor is going to take money offered to them and whether they change their vote is up to them.

That fact also doesn't mean to say that those in a better financial situation would not accept money for their vote.

Are you going to exclude the poor just because they are more likely to take payment or are you just going to wait and catch them all accepting money. If that is the case shouldn't you be after the people that are offering the payments rather than taking them.

The truth of the matter is that everybody knows about politics, not only the highly educated. Politics is basically about social systems and systems of power. Everybody in this country has an idea of how these work whether on a local or a national level. It is how the power system and government affects them and their livelihood, for some people the outlook will be broader and some narrower. Just because this manifests itself differently in the life of an Isan farmer when compared to a high level city bureaucrat or a factory worker or a banker etc doesn't mean to say it is less relevant or less meaningful. Each persons life is affected differently and produces different decisions.

The truth of politics is that not everyone will be basing their decisions on the same standards as you; it's called human diversity.

One of the measures of a humane society is that it recognises inequality but strives to retain a balance and bring society closer together. By suggesting the disenfranchisement of a portion of the population you are driving the wedge in to further the imbalance and drive them further apart. What you are suggesting is against democratic and humane principles and goes against what many people have fought for (especially last century), often paying with their lives.

Yes, you made some good points. To say that all Ilasan people vote oneway because they are given 200 baht is an insult. They can accept money from any party just like what Democrates do in the south and they can vote for whoever they want. On election day no one see who you vote for by the way. This is the same old rants that H90 likes to make all the time..... H90 does not have any respect for hard working farmers who put the food on his plate.

Edited by Los78

LaoPo

Latin is Dead??? Caesar said it best... "VINI...VIDI...VICI"

1 RICH/POOR CITIZEN=1 VOTE

The Constitutional Court will review the case in which the wife of caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee is accused of holding shares in private businesses exceeding the legal limit...In the case of Pranee Suebwonglee, the appointed senator said the wife of Surapong has held 50% to 95% of stakes in 9 juristic bodies, which exceeds the 5% legal limit...The senator said such an action violates Article 267, 268, and 269 of the 2007 Constitution; therefore, the caretaker minister's tenure must come to an end because of the breach, according to Article 182 of the charter.

No, I don't think they will :o

I think it's time for "new politics", whatever they may be and it's definitely time for new politicians :D

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same things over and over again and expecting differert results!

Constitution Court to probe Deputy Prime Minister's wife

No, I don't think they will :D

I think it's time for "new politics", whatever they may be and it's definitely time for new politicians :D

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same things over and over again and expecting differert results!

Bye that definition.. Insanity is rampant... eg: fisherman, race car drivers, hunters...etc..etc.....lol :o

[/color]

Almost correct etc:......VENI - VIDI - VICI or I came, I saw and I conquered :D

VINI = wines (more than one).

And, yes, Latin is a so called dead language and not in common use anymore. Don't tell me, I used to sing Latin in Church a long time ago :o

It's still the 'official' language in the Vatican but that doesn't mean the people inside the Vatican actually speak Latin with one another; they speak either Italiano, English or any other modern language like French, German, Spanish.

Hardly Thai I think... :D

Latin is however still in use as a terminology as a kind of technical terms in medicine and biology, sometimes law....to keep the people ignorant.... :D

But, it is NOT a living, expanding if you wish language as such anymore.

LaoPo

[/color]

Almost correct etc:......VENI - VIDI - VICI or I came, I saw and I conquered :D

VINI = wines (more than one).

And, yes, Latin is a so called dead language and not in common use anymore. Don't tell me, I used to sing Latin in Church a long time ago :o

It's still the 'official' language in the Vatican but that doesn't mean the people inside the Vatican actually speak Latin with one another; they speak either Italiano, English or any other modern language like French, German, Spanish.

Hardly Thai I think... :D

Latin is however still in use as a terminology as a kind of technical terms in medicine and biology, sometimes law....to keep the people ignorant.... :D

But, it is NOT a living, expanding if you wish language as such anymore.

LaoPo

You're right "Veni" .. was typo :D

Jesus

:o

And I bet you think the US went into a justified war in Iraq to bring democracy to Iraqis eh? Conveniently forget the WMD and 'Qaeda cells there supposed to be there, and justify it now as bringing democracy to Iraqis?

Issan people are ready for democracy but not the brand that's just a shiny wrapper. Meanwhile, they're a bit cash starved and respond as you and I would. Think of Americans now.

Issan folks are smarter than you, that's a certainty. So what does that make you ready for poster? Not humility and awareness, though you could use a dose.

Issan people are so far ahead of people like your post represents that you can't even see their dust.

Edited by ding

LaoPo

Yes, you made some good points. To say that all Ilasan people vote oneway because they are given 200 baht is an insult. They can accept money from any party just like what Democrates do in the south and they can vote for whoever they want. On election day no one see who you vote for by the way. This is the same old rants that H90 likes to make all the time..... H90 does not have any respect for hard working farmers who put the food on his plate.

and once AGAIN, the April 2006 election was voided, in large part, due to precisely that point.... that people COULD see how others voted.

but nice repeat rant for the umpteenth time.

and now Mr. No Thought becomes the man to beat...

PPP now backs Somchai

Key figures in the ruling People Power Party (PPP) agreed yesterday to support Deputy Leader Somchai Wongsawat as its candidate for prime minister, a high-ranking party source said.

The decision was reached at yesterday's meeting of senior party figures. They agreed Somchai was the best choice. He is viewed as "most trustworthy." *to Thaksin?*

The party seniors agreed the "three S's" - Somchai, Sompong Amornwiwat, and Surapong Suebwonglee - would inevitably face opposition from government opponents, particularly the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD). So, it is sensible to opt for "the best bet," according to the source.

A new prime minister from the PPP will mainly ensure passage of the 2009 Budget Bill, before dissolving the House of Representatives.

People Power executive members are scheduled to meet today to discuss the party's candidates for the post. A meeting later in the day would come up with the nominee, Sompong said yesterday.

Somchai, a brother-in-law of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has emerged as a key candidate after PPP Leader Samak Sundaravej dropped his bid to become PM again. Samak was disqualified by court order last week.

If the bid to push Somchai fails, party seniors will instead support Sompong, another Deputy Party Leader, the source said.

The PPP yesterday informed its coalition partners about the support for Somchai.

The PPP seniors discussed a new Cabinet line-up. It was agreed the current quotas would be retained, although there might be changes of office holders if factions requested, the source said. Technocrat appointees are viewed as "unnecessary", as the new government will be short-lived. *so all that is necessary are Nepotistic appointees*

Chamlong Srimuang, a PAD Leader, said yesterday it was opposed to any PPP nomination, adding the ruling party "committed several mistakes" while in power.

The PPP's Isaan Pattana faction will back both Somchai and Sompong, with weight slanting to Somchai. Due to his close connection to Thaksin, he is likely to have better control of the party than Sompong, a faction source said yesterday.

If Somchai's nomination faces public resistance, then the faction will nominate Sompong instead.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban believed Somchai was the most suitable because Sompong as Justice Minister had transferred the Director-General of the Department of Special Investigation on orders from Thaksin.

"Although Somchai is Thaksin's brother in-law, he so far has not shown any hint of being his nominee,'' he said. *he's saving it up*

Snoh Thienthong, leader of the coalition Pracharaj Party, yesterday voiced support for Somchai, saying he believed Somchai would be able to work with the opposition Democrat Party. *and also he remembers the good times they had together when both were in TRT*

Earlier, the smaller coalition parties backed PPP Deputy Leader Sompong as the new prime minister. He has the least connection to Thaksin, they said. *indeed, his 45+ years of friendship with Thaksin is not much*

Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa, Pracharaj leader Snoh, Puea Pandin Leader Suwit Khunkitti met at the house of Suwat Liptapanlop, a former executive of the Thai Rak Thai. *and banned from politics for 5 years*

- The Nation / 2008-09-14

Ex-TRT executives join PPP talks on next PM

Former Thai Rak Thai executives have joined People Power Party leaders and MPs to discuss candidates for prime minister.

Yaowapa Wongsawat (TRT Banned #13), Sutham Saengprathum (TRT Banned #105), Pongthep Thepkanchana (TRT Banned #10), Sora-at Klinprathum (TRT Banned #19), Chaturon Chaisang (TRT Banned #2), Sermsak Pongpanit (TRT Banned #54), Sita Divari (TRT Banned #30) and Phumtham Vejayachai (TRT Banned #28) met with PPP Deputy Leader Sompong Amornwiwat, Transport Minister Santi Prompat and other MPs at the IFCT building yesterday.

PPP leader Samak Sundaravej has withdrawn from the process.

Pongthep, a spokesman of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said the former Thai Rak Thai executives had been invited to analyse the political situation because they were close to PPP Leaders.

Caretaker Agriculture Minister Theerachai Saenkaew disagreed with a PPP proposal to grant amnesty for the 111 Thai Rak Thai executives.

He said as long as the People's Alliance for Democracy continued to protest, an amnesty would cause "endless problems."

- The Nation / 2008-09-14

Edited by sriracha john