Package For A University Lecturer/researcher

Khun Bob

Hi - I am in touch with some Universities in Thailand at the moment and just wondered if anyone could give me an idication of the salary and package that a UK national could expect for working in a Bangkok based University - both private and public (government) ? Also what other benefits may be offered ? I have noticed that some offer accomodation as well. Just wonder how much this would normally be worth and if it would normally be included as part of the salary ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

As pointed out above, it depends on many things... There really is no single standard... Best way to answer your questions is to ask the universities you say you're already in contact with. Anything else would likely just be rumour...

Hi and thanks for your replies

Just as background - I have a PhD in Software Engineering, have taught in Uni's in the UK and have worked in industry for about 8 years.

I have made enquiries to Private Uni's in Bangkok about the possibility of collaborating in research with them. The Unii's that have shown interest also seem to be keen for me to teach and get involved in other activities as well.

A bit out of the blue - I was offered a place. The salary is 55KTHB per month approx and includes an amount for accomodation.

I have spoken to a few people and they are suggesting that this is a bit low. One person mentioned a salary of 80KTHB and another started saying around 2kGBP (about 150KTHB).

I'm not really sure what kind of ranges there are and what to expect.

Look forward to hearing from you.

A bit out of the blue - I was offered a place.  The salary is 55KTHB per month approx and includes an amount for accomodation.

I have spoken to a few people and they are suggesting that this is a bit low.  One person mentioned a salary of 80KTHB and another started saying around 2kGBP (about 150KTHB).

55K doesn't sound low unless they're hiring you because you're a particular expert in the field and of a level not generally found in Thailand and even then 55K would be much higher than most other faculty members are on. 150K sounds highly unlikely under any circumstances.

another started saying around 2kGBP (about 150KTHB).

In his dreams, I think!!! 55K baht (including accommodation) sounds more like it as a monthly salary for a private university engineering programme, perhaps as much as 80K for a richer university where you're also doing research. Language lecturers on standard language programmes get much less than this. You need to remember, Bob, that University salaries here are low, not to be compared with US, Europe, Australia, etc. But there are opportunities to make more from pretty lucrative part-time/extra lecturing work outside your salary, as Ken has said.