Is Aa The One And Only Way Out Of Alcohol?

Bengt

AA is a good choice if as alcoholic is alone and needs support.

Myself I was contact AA in 1999 and was able to stop for a few months then I fall back and took another try year 2000 but fall back again after a trip to Thailand and it was getting worse and year 2001 i become a very heavy drinker and consume somedays more than one litre of vodka or whiskey.

In beginning of september that year i took a last minit trip to Thailand and lots my memory for about 6 days until I was wake up in a hotelroom september 11 and couldnt remember much and how I got there from Phuket however i realized that i reach the bottom of a normal life and gave myself to choices..stop NOW or get back to Sweden and since september 11 I have become sober now for 7 years WHITHOUT AA.

The mainpoint for an alcoholic is that YOU want to stop because you cannot handle the alcohol in a proper way, if you think you can decrease the amount of drinking then you will just make a fool of yourself.

I am not any expert in alcoholism and cannot help others to stop drinking, the only advise i have is that they have to go inside themself and find out if they are dependent of alcohol or not and I use to say to others that its NOT my business to decide if others become alcoholic or not, they have to find out by them self.

BTW AA is a good beginning to get support and advices but they are not always right in their sentences,, it have to be the person himself that have to find out the right way in a life as an dryed alcoholic.

Some final words.

IT IS NOT EASY........its a LONG period of abstinence's but by the time you will forget the feeling to be drunk.

I just whish all that want to live without alcohol a real GOOD LUCK and keep well and be strong.

Regards

It all comes down to the individual, and what will "motivate" them to deal with their problem.

I know AA has helped a lot of people...I went to one meeting with a friend who was going to meetings per court order as part of a DUI conviction. One meeting was enough for me, not thanks.

But that is just me...whatever works for the individual is what matters.

Myself, I quit cold-turkey 155 days ago...no problem.

depending on how long you can quit the first time and how motivated you are to stay off the alcohol consider Antabuse in generic form called Disulfaram http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfiram if you can quit for 24 hours and take 1 pill a day you will be able to stay off of it. The cost is B5 per pill and it works well. I have seen alcoholics that I was helping sneak a drink and get violently ill to the point as long as they took the pill they wanted no repeats, but to be safe if a true alcoholic you must take 1 pill a day for rest of your life.

Hey Bob isnt that repeating the same mistake; drinking and taking the pill! I haven't seen it but understand that you can get very sick.

Years ago I saw a Bell Curve that showed the stages that people go thru to stop drinking. It dealt with pre-contemplation, contemplation, etc. There are a number of ways to stop drinking. It just depends on how far you want to go. Start by talking about it with family and friends, let them know what you want to do. They may help with advice and shower some protection; there is counsellors; some find thru religion; some just go out and start doing other things, a sport, rock climbing etc: some go out and help others; some do the 12 steps.

I cant remember the author of this Bell Curve, but it just depends how far you are along and what ways you have tried in the past to stop.

As Bob mentions above you can take a pill.

From what I know about it you don't get very sick from the pill only from the alcohol if you are on the pill. Kind of like the birth control pill for women if you take one a day it usually keeps you from that illness called pregnancy but abstinence does the same thing. One of the excuses you are told you can use in AA is "no thanks, I'm allergic to alcohol, if I take a drink I usually break out in drunks all over town". There is no universal solution for everyone, I am just giving one suggestion.

If you crave alcohol and are addicted to it you will find all kinds of excuses why you can drink today and will quit tomorrow. With daily Antabuse medication you only have to quit for 24 hours then take your medicine regularly. Temptation is out of the way until you make a contentious effort to start drinking again.

Alcohol is a significant cause of a lot of things besides drunkenness like overweight, stroke, heart attack, gout and general degeneration of the body the older you get, this is a means for some, but not all, to curb the temptation to drink.

But if you believe 1 glass of red wine a day will help you live longer you will have to substitute grape juice instead.

It all comes down to the individual, and what will "motivate" them to deal with their problem.

I know AA has helped a lot of people...I went to one meeting with a friend who was going to meetings per court order as part of a DUI conviction. One meeting was enough for me, not thanks.

But that is just me...whatever works for the individual is what matters.

Myself, I quit cold-turkey 155 days ago...no problem.

Same for me, could not stand the AA, quit cold-turkey 16 years ago and quit smoking same time. can't stand the smell of ether now.

I hit my first treatment center at 20 as well as my first AA meeting. I managed to get sober at twenty-five with AA and stay that way for two years, but ended up in a bar drinking again one day without really knowing how I got there. I went to Wat Thamkrabok, a Thai treatment center, where I not only gave up alcohol, but I also gave up being an alcoholic. The urge to drink alcohol left me and I am now more than two years sober again.

I think that AA offers a great recovery program. Some people don't like the spiritual part of the program, but in my view it is this part of the program that is the most important. In my opinion many people become drunks or addicts because of a feeling of disconnection from the spiritual side of things and they lose their way. This meaning and purpose in life seems really important to a comfortable recovery, but can be found in many ways not just in AA.

I no longer use AA but I will always be grateful for the help that program offered me in the early days. I have less time for the AA members who insist that only their way is valid, but I suppose it is necessary for them to think this way to remain sober - a continuation of the all or nothing attitude that many of us drunks are famous for.

I am 13 years sober in AA. I almost died from my crack cocaine and heroin addiction. AA saved my life. In my opinion, AA is definitely not the only way to stay sober or get sober. There are a myriad of paths that lead to the freedom of recovery, release from addiction. In my humble opinion, AA is accessible to many, so why not give it a try? My experience is that AA led me from hel_l to relative heaven and it's the most fun I've ever had. That said, I agree with Garro in that it seems to be a mysterious spiritual sort of thing that leads me, not just membership in a specific organization.

I am 13 years sober in AA. I almost died from my crack cocaine and heroin addiction. AA saved my life. In my opinion, AA is definitely not the only way to stay sober or get sober. There are a myriad of paths that lead to the freedom of recovery, release from addiction. In my humble opinion, AA is accessible to many, so why not give it a try? My experience is that AA led me from hel_l to relative heaven and it's the most fun I've ever had. That said, I agree with Garro in that it seems to be a mysterious spiritual sort of thing that leads me, not just membership in a specific organization.

13 years is great so i really honor you especially to get out of heroin and such heavy narcotic addicts and i do believe that you are able to help other whit good advices.

I am glad that you found AA and my opinion is that AA is a good advice for the first step out of the hel_l.

What we can do to help others that make the first step out is to honor them for every day they stay away from drinking or a use of narcotics.

Anyway the first months as sober is a critical time and I fall back after just 3 months just to test if i was able to stay away and i did for a week and just foolish myself that i was able to handle my consumption of alcohol.

Nice to get a replie from you and others in this topic.

Regards!

I hit my first treatment center at 20 as well as my first AA meeting. I managed to get sober at twenty-five with AA and stay that way for two years, but ended up in a bar drinking again one day without really knowing how I got there. I went to Wat Thamkrabok, a Thai treatment center, where I not only gave up alcohol, but I also gave up being an alcoholic. The urge to drink alcohol left me and I am now more than two years sober again.

I think that AA offers a great recovery program. Some people don't like the spiritual part of the program, but in my view it is this part of the program that is the most important. In my opinion many people become drunks or addicts because of a feeling of disconnection from the spiritual side of things and they lose their way. This meaning and purpose in life seems really important to a comfortable recovery, but can be found in many ways not just in AA.

I no longer use AA but I will always be grateful for the help that program offered me in the early days. I have less time for the AA members who insist that only their way is valid, but I suppose it is necessary for them to think this way to remain sober - a continuation of the all or nothing attitude that many of us drunks are famous for.

Nice reply from you and i am glad that there are many ppl in this message board that quit drinking and use of narcotics and now can live an ordinary life in a good way.

I really honor all that are able to stay away because there is always a big risk to fall back even if you been sober for 10-20 years.

There is something we use to call Post abstinence's and it can occur even after long time as sober and its a strange feeling that feels very uncomfortable and you may need to see a doc in some cases.

It was just in this country I was able to stop whit both alcohol and tobacco.

Regards

Hey Bob isnt that repeating the same mistake; drinking and taking the pill! I haven't seen it but understand that you can get very sick.

Years ago I saw a Bell Curve that showed the stages that people go thru to stop drinking. It dealt with pre-contemplation, contemplation, etc. There are a number of ways to stop drinking. It just depends on how far you want to go. Start by talking about it with family and friends, let them know what you want to do. They may help with advice and shower some protection; there is counsellors; some find thru religion; some just go out and start doing other things, a sport, rock climbing etc: some go out and help others; some do the 12 steps.

I cant remember the author of this Bell Curve, but it just depends how far you are along and what ways you have tried in the past to stop.

As Bob mentions above you can take a pill.

Hi

The bell curve you mention is usually shown as a circle. The authors were Prochaska and DiClemente and it is usually referred to as the cycle of change and is the basis of motivational interviewing. This is used extensively by UK drug treatment and is very useful in determining where someone is. A person in pre contemplation (I dont have a problem) is not going to react as well in treatment as someone who does realise they have a problem.

It is an excellent tool and one I constantly refer to in assessments.

I well remember the punishment of trying to make it through a day without alcohol or even trying to delay the first drink until late in the afternoon. I would be sitting there just waiting for the DTs to kick in knowing that all I needed to stop would be to force some alcohol down my throat. It was a dog's life and I fully sympathize with anybody going through this. The first couple of days can be difficult, but it does not always have to be this way.

A lot of the withdrawal problem is psychological and you can defeat this by just not going along with the thinking that your mind throws your way. I found meditation and mindfulness a great help. Mindfulness allows you to look at the thoughts that are occurring in your mind without identifying with them as your own thoughts. This makes them far easier to deal with and drastically reduces the number of cravings.

My final quit from alcohol occurred at a temple in Thailand. I had hardly any withdrawal symptoms and quitting involved no great struggle. This despite the fact that I had really been hitting it hard prior to my admission. This convinces me more that a lot of the symptoms are psychological. This is not to say that it is always safe to detox by yourself.

I now never have any cravings for alcohol. I haven't in well over two years. Alcohol is just no longer part of my life. I would not have believed this possible when I was struggling just to get through the morning without drinking. My life has improved beyond my wildest expectations and so can yours. Find a way to stop and stay stopped. AA works for many. Wat Thamkrabok worked for me. It does not matter what system you choose so long as you make it work for you.

Edited by garro

AA is just a tool. It might work for you or it might not.

We usually ask recruits. 1) Have you been sober for 24 hours? 2) Do you want to quit?

If you want to quit AA can help you.

If you are happy being miserable keep on white knuckling it.

BTW. I am very proud of the fact that AA Bangkok has a meeting everyday of the year. No exceptions.

Sober something like 13 years. Thanks to AA Bangkok. Hope you will always be there.

Today I managed to wait until 11.30 AM+ before taking the first beer (because my wife has forced me to get a health check up). For me, a record for may be two years.

At the ultrasound they said there was changes to the liver (but not permanent, unreversible ones). Two cysts 0.7 cm and 1.0 cm (but this was common (?)), and a general accumulation of fat (?) in the liver that could be the effect of drinking. Cholestorol was high, and I have a liver infection that makes me shiver and cold sweat (but no fewer) during the the night. Need to eat antibiotic pills (if I puke them out, have to get injections at the hospital).

I also have hepatitis, and as I understood the doctor: Hep b already antibodies (have had?), Hep c no antibodies (= no have); so the hepatitis is coming from drinking.

Today only drinking from 11.30 AM till 6PM, so araound 7 big beer Leo.

All comments welcomed.

Today I managed to wait until 11.30 AM+ before taking the first beer (because my wife has forced me to get a health check up). For me, a record for may be two years.

At the ultrasound they said there was changes to the liver (but not permanent, unreversible ones). Two cysts 0.7 cm and 1.0 cm (but this was common (?)), and a general accumulation of fat (?) in the liver that could be the effect of drinking. Cholestorol was high, and I have a liver infection that makes me shiver and cold sweat (but no fewer) during the the night. Need to eat antibiotic pills (if I puke them out, have to get injections at the hospital).

I also have hepatitis, and as I understood the doctor: Hep b already antibodies (have had?), Hep c no antibodies (= no have); so the hepatitis is coming from drinking.

Today only drinking from 11.30 AM till 6PM, so araound 7 big beer Leo.

All comments welcomed.

?How do you stop at 6 PM?

Whether I start at noon or midnight, I find it difficult to stop before closing time; too many days coming into work from strange directions...

SC

With all your medical problems you shouldn't be drinking AT ALL.

The fact that you can hold out till 11:30 AM is a screaming red flag.

Of course it's your body & your health & your decision.

Taking a drink is a decision. Not taking a drink is a decision.

So what would any body class some one an alcoholic? I do drink a few beers a day but never before night time and I can't remember being drunk for many years. I hate alcohol in the morning just at night with my meal. I went to a doctor ones for a check up and he ask me how much do you drink? I answered I drink 2 bottles of beer a day so he told me to cut it down to just 1 bottle well I drink just one bottle anyway.