State Of Emergency In Bangkok Lifted

george

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emergency decree lifted

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker prime minister Somchai Wongsawat together with the Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army, Gen Anupong Paochinda, and the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan, announced at a press conference that the state of emergency decree in Bangkok has been lifted.

The press conference was held at the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters on Sunday at around 11.30am.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-09-14

This is only a cosmetic change to allay some of the fears of foreign tourists and investors. The Emergency Decree was largely ignored and because the army refused to carryout the provisions stipulated by law it was just another running joke to those familiar with the political process here in Thailand.

Thailand has one again shot itself in the foot and as a result I predict no high season this year. The Mad Hatters riling in their own waste down at Government House should be pleased, at least for a while. Their agenda is exactly the same as any four year old child. They want instant gratification and feel the rules (laws) do not apply to them. Will the next seated government be better? I sure hope so.

Not much will change I fear. My girlfriend was shopping at MBK in Bangkok yesterday when she was hailed over by candidate for governor Chuwit Kamolvisit. Remember he made his fortune on the backs of thousands of prostitutes working in his upscale massage parlors. My girlfriend was handed Bt200 with a reminder that he was running for Bangkok Governor. Amazing Thailand!

Emergency decree lifted

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker prime minister Somchai Wongsawat together with the Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army, Gen Anupong Paochinda, and the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan, announced at a press conference that the state of emergency decree in Bangkok has been lifted.

The press conference was held at the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters on Sunday at around 11.30am.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-09-14

This sounds more like trying very hard to gain some popularity by good SomChai! :o

So everything is now back to normal and PAD can occupy government house forever more.

The tourists will return in droves and include a visit to the PAD on their tour itinerary :D

Yes about time, it was useless when the generals didn't back carnage in the streets

except as a toursist scare tactic.

Now the tourists ARE visiting Gov. House

as part of their get to know Amazing Thailand plans.

I think they were so wrapped up in political infighting

that they forgot about it till today! :o

So everything is now back to normal and PAD can occupy government house forever more.

The tourists will return in droves and include a visit to the PAD on their tour itinerary :D

Yes about time, it was useless when the generals didn't back carnage in the streets

Have you been here when we had the coup?

After a few days travel agents offered "Visit the Army" for 200 Baht.

Included sit in the tank, hold the M16 rifle etc etc.

A lot pictures from ultra fat tourists with short trousers holding the M16 and trying to make a "Rambo-face" while a slim thai-soldier stands beside with a silly smile.

great pictures...... :D :D

Good Afternoon everyone,

Well, I for one am glad, that that silly SOE has finally been removed.

One the Army said, that they wouldn't remove (crush) the demonstrators, on the first day of the SOE, it has pretty much been useless since.

Of course, this crazy government kept it going for almost two more weeks, instead of cancelling it right away. As a result, it has put a big dent into tourist revenues.

Glad the SOE finally got removed and I hope that things will stay peaceful from now on.

...., it has pretty much been useless since.

Of course, this crazy government kept it going for almost two more weeks, instead of canceling it right away. As a result, it has put a big dent into tourist revenues.

Thinking tactics - was this intended? If you won't let me to have it may way, you will hurt, ALL of you, putting the blame for it on the PAD movement, simply intending to incite peoples rage and anger AGAINST them, as in "see they say they care, but look what happens!"

As the base for the SOE was instigated as well... except it didn't really take off, as it should have taken off - thanks to the powers to be involved in this, being used again for a small groups gain!

it all comes down to a 'cheap' political poker...the country held at ransom, in the sneaky ways, it always has been done, the "blame the other" game! TiT

my 2 cents

Edited by Samuian

Have you been here when we had the coup?

After a few days travel agents offered "Visit the Army" for 200 Baht.

Included sit in the tank, hold the M16 rifle etc etc.

A lot pictures from ultra fat tourists with short trousers holding the M16 and trying to make a "Rambo-face" while a slim thai-soldier stands beside with a silly smile.

great pictures...... :D :D

Yeah I was here.

Watched a resort shooting off fireworks that night like

there was nothing going on at all. I went out thinking the navy was shelling,

nope just fireworks for a party of wedding etc. Amazing Thailand.

Guys I was working with said don't worry,

it was their 2nd and 3rd coups respectively.

It certainly was an unusual time.

Never affected anything down here, nor during Bkk visits.

...., it has pretty much been useless since.

Of course, this crazy government kept it going for almost two more weeks, instead of canceling it right away. As a result, it has put a big dent into tourist revenues.

Thinking tactics - was this intended? If you won't let me to have it may way, you will hurt, ALL of you, putting the blame for it on the PAD movement, simply intending to incite peoples rage and anger AGAINST them, as in "see they say they care, but look what happens!"

As the base for the SOE was instigated as well... except it didn't really take off, as it should have taken off - thanks to the powers to be involved in this, being used again for a small groups gain!

my 2 cents

The government seem to have taken the blame for the SoE particularly Samak. Maybe with a change in PM they will be able to move away from this

State of emergency lifted in Bangkok

BANGKOK, Thailand (Associated Press / 5 minutes ago) - Thailand's acting prime minister lifted a state of emergency in Bangkok on Sunday, urging all sides in a political standoff to find a peaceful compromise and restore the country's image as "The Land of Smiles."

Acting Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said he hoped that ending the state of emergency, which was imposed on Sept. 2, would help ease some of the tensions in Thailand and bring more tourists back to the country.

"The state of emergency is lifted," Somchai told a news conference after meeting with the country's army chief and other senior security officials.

He acknowledged that Thai society remained deeply divided, but said the situation no longer justified keeping the capital under emergency rule, which empowers the army to restore order with the assistance of police.

"I appeal to all parties to turn to each other to resolve the problem and together heal the damage done to the nation," he said.

"We should bring back the smile to the country once again as we are called 'The Land of Smiles.' We have to restore confidence to outsiders, especially tourists, that we are a peaceful country and have no more conflict."

Emergency rule was imposed Sept. 2 by then Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej after violent clashes between government supporters and opponents left one person dead.

Calm was quickly restored but several countries issued travel advisories that authorities say had a numbing effect on tourism, which is a valuable source of revenue for Thailand.

Samak was forced to resign in an unrelated twist to the crisis, when the Constitutional Court ruled Tuesday that he had violated a conclict-of-interest law by accepting money for hosting television cooking shows while in office.

Parliament is scheduled to vote in a new prime minister Wednesday but there was no consensus in the six-party ruling coalition over who should replace Samak.

The parliamentary vote was initially scheduled for last Friday but was postponed after the ruling party tried to renominate Samak, prompting its coalition partners to boycott the session. Samak has since withdrawn his bid to win back his job.

Samak's People's Power Party, which holds 233 of the 480 seats in Parliament, remained huddled in talks over the weekend.

Three members of the ruling party have been mentioned as possible candidates, including Somchai, who was deputy prime minister and education minister in Samak's Cabinet and is a brother-in-law of Thaksin; Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat, a veteran but low-profile politician; and Finance Minister Surapong Seubwonglee, another deputy prime minister and finance minister and a Thaksin confidante.

Long overdue. The SoE has done more damage to the country in the eyes of the international community than any PAD manouver or for that matter the utterly incompetent government currently in office.

Now that the SOE has been declared over , i notice Thai troops have once again taken over a disputed temple with 100 soldiers who refuse to move out . The Cambodian government had already said they would stay calm and sit back until the Thais had settled their internal problems before expecting a continuation of the border dispute talks , <deleted> are these idiots up to now ?

The government seem to have taken the blame for the SoE particularly Samak. Maybe with a change in PM they will be able to move away from this

He was clearly told by the military and police prior that he would have no support; the business community told him he had no support and I suspect at least a sizeable minority of PPP told him he would have no support.

He did it anyway, probably at the asking of a certain guy running from the law, to try and make Thailand look less stable; similar to when the same person alledgedly destroyed the new year countdown in BKK by asking aides to go around placing bombs about the place.

It was a massive miscalculation that is on par or greater than:

- thinking no one would notice the deal in Cambodia

- thinking no one would mind a bit of foreign correspondent club speeches because they were in english, and then not notice the same speeches in Thai because they were in LA

- thinking no one would notice the attempt to fiddle the constitution or mind

- thinking no one would notice a couple of million baht probably not for the judge himself but for finding out what the judge was doing

- thinking no one would notice a tax free gift with fiddled documentation to say Khunying prior to actually getting the title

- thinking no one would notice the cooking show and party political thereof which clearly breaches the word and intent of the law

and so on.

They are fairly brazen, I'll give them that. Just as well they haven't done anything in the last 9 months since being in power, other than worry about the above. Imagine if we had MPs that actually showed up to work for the good of the country!

There's a nice write up on Koh Kong developements and Thaksin and Noppadon involvement.

When Nop went to open Thai sponsored road there, the ministry's white paper said it was to discuss Preah Vihear issue, too. It was shortly after Thaksin had a round of golf with Hun Sen where they talked about Koh Kong investments.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/140908_News/14Sep2008_news006.php

He was clearly told by the military and police prior that he would have no support; the business community told him he had no support and I suspect at least a sizeable minority of PPP told him he would have no support.

He did it anyway, probably at the asking of a certain guy running from the law, to try and make Thailand look less stable; similar to when the same person alledgedly destroyed the new year countdown in BKK by asking aides to go around placing bombs about the place.

It was a massive miscalculation that is on par or greater than:

- thinking no one would notice the deal in Cambodia

- thinking no one would mind a bit of foreign correspondent club speeches because they were in english, and then not notice the same speeches in Thai because they were in LA

- thinking no one would notice the attempt to fiddle the constitution or mind

- thinking no one would notice a couple of million baht probably not for the judge himself but for finding out what the judge was doing

- thinking no one would notice a tax free gift with fiddled documentation to say Khunying prior to actually getting the title

- thinking no one would notice the cooking show and party political thereof which clearly breaches the word and intent of the law

and so on.

They are fairly brazen, I'll give them that. Just as well they haven't done anything in the last 9 months since being in power, other than worry about the above. Imagine if we had MPs that actually showed up to work for the good of the country!

Exactly

I was today at the PAD, made some pictures: http://www.psxtune.com/padweb/

My impressions:

came there around 3 PM. The streets around government house are also under control of PAD....huge huge area full of people, full or nice TShirts...bought a few: 150 Baht from the south, 120 Baht from some farmers.

So big that I almost did not find the entry to the government house.....

Inside no smell....

The front grass and flowers are gone....maybe a 25-50.000 Baht to repair that...all the trees and higher plants are not harmed.

Mostly families: Man, Woman 1-2 Kids...coming via Taxi, Almost everyone has a nice camera, very peaceful, everyone friendly like in Thailand 20 years ago, you smile you get a smile back.....

Definitely not people you can buy for 500 Baht.

Total police I saw in the area: 20

There was also a big police truck with aircon which seems to be full with policemen...but I couldn't see much....

My biggest concern, as the area is so big and there are so many people, was that I never find out again....but I did.

4.30 I was outside again, so I walked without brake 1.5 hours inside relative quick, just so you can imagine how big it is.

There are many shops for everything (beside Alcohol and Cigarettes), Haircut, Pharmacy, Doctors, Massage, please to relax, place to pray..

Tourism industry welcomes end of emergency

BANGKOK: -- The decision by Thailand's caretaker government to lift the State of Emergency Decree on Sunday, imposed in the capital, Bangkok, since September 2, was welcomed by the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) and those involved in tourism business.

ATTA president Apichart Sankary said he believed that scrapping the Decree would help boost confidence among foreign tourists and businessmen wishing to invest in Thailand.

Mr. Apichart said that the ATTA would work to explain the positive news to foreign countries while Thai envoys based overseas should also help explain the situation to the public in the countries where they work.

In 2007, about 15 million foreign tourists visited Thailand and the country earned Bt600 billion while Thai tourists spent approximately Bt400 billion, Mr. Apichart said.

This year the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand is expected to be about the same as last year, lower than the 15.48 million projected by the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Earnings from tourism by foreigners and locals are also expected to be unchanged from 2007, he said.

-- TNA 2008-09-14

Tourism industry welcomes end of emergency

BANGKOK: -- The decision by Thailand's caretaker government to lift the State of Emergency Decree on Sunday, imposed in the capital, Bangkok, since September 2, was welcomed by the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) and those involved in tourism business. (snip)

In 2007, about 15 million foreign tourists visited Thailand and the country earned Bt600 billion while Thai tourists spent approximately Bt400 billion, Mr. Apichart said.

This year the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand is expected to be about the same as last year, lower than the 15.48 million projected by the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Earnings from tourism by foreigners and locals are also expected to be unchanged from 2007, he said.

-- TNA 2008-09-14

So what where they whining about before? They had 15 million tourists in 2007 and will have the same this year, with fuel costs and airline tickets and the cost of living and holidaying over here way up, that's great.

My impressions:

came there around 3 PM. The streets around government house are also under control of PAD....huge huge area full of people, full or nice TShirts...bought a few: 150 Baht from the south, 120 Baht from some farmers.

Inside no smell....

Awesome pictures, h90. I can't wait to go there myself. Won't be long now :o A few more loose ends to tie up at home here and then I can spend some time at Government house.

I'll be the one in the black "Hoffa-Baldwin-Zimmerman" Teamster shirt :D

Thank you for the post and your comments.

My impressions:

Inside no smell....

Awesome pictures, h90. I can't wait to go there myself. Won't be long now :o A few more loose ends to tie up at home here and then I can spend some time at Government house.

I'll be the one in the black "Hoffa-Baldwin-Zimmerman" Teamster shirt :D

Thank you for the post and your comments.

I have a looooooooot TShirts, very good art, if interested I can make some quick pics (really nice they might be a good kick for you to go there.....and no negotiate....one price for every customer)

:Edit one quote deleted to system malfunction, quotes might be wrong...

I have a looooooooot TShirts, very good art, if interested I can make some quick pics (really nice they might be a good kick for you to go there.....and no negotiate....one price for every customer)

Yes, I would love to see some of the pics of the things you brought back from there. Are you going to post them on the same link? ... http://www.psxtune.com/padweb/

and you are right, they most likely will get me off my butt quicker to go there lol

Yes, I would love to see some of the pics of the things you brought back from there. Are you going to post them on the same link? ... http://www.psxtune.com/padweb/

and you are right, they most likely will get me off my butt quicker to go there lol

will make a new link....tomorrow...if you don't hear from me PM me to kick me a bit to be faster.....

I'll be the one in the black "Hoffa-Baldwin-Zimmerman" Teamster shirt :o

jimmy hoffa and the teamsters union?

now that explains a lot why you keep glorifying those PAD cult unions and avoid any question about them.

specially unions like the teamsters and union leaders like hoffa and their history and dirty wrong doings should make anybody look twice if they read about unions involvement in situations like the current one.