What Does This Mean?

Neeranam

I heard this idiom and no-one can give me a proper answer.

I think it could aply to our political "leader", but not sure.

"kang koke keun woh"

Hi Neeranam,

It's written like this in Thai...คางคกขึ้นวอ "kaang-kok keun woh". :o

The meaning would be something like:

"A lowly toad who has now ascended to be carried around in a canopied palanquin." :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

What Snowleopard stated was the literal translation. What it refers to is someone who used to be low in status who gets rich (or popular, or famous, or promoted, etc.) and starts acting overly proud/obnoxious/etc, and, as stated before, forgets his roots. Example, a poor farmer who enters boxing, becomes world champ, lives like a king and totally ignores his family back home.

It's written like this in Thai...คางคกขึ้นวอ "kaang-kok keun woh". rolleyes.gif

"A lowly toad who has now ascended to be carried around in a canopied palanquin." tongue.gif

Could you break the literal translation down into the individual words I don't understand that well enough to use it if you know what I mean.

It's written like this in Thai...คางคกขึ้นวอ "kaang-kok keun woh". rolleyes.gif

"A lowly toad who has now ascended to be carried around in a canopied palanquin." tongue.gif

Could you break the literal translation down into the individual words I don't understand that well enough to use it if you know what I mean.

1.คางคก "kaang-kok"=toad (creepy-crawly amphibian,low on the evolutionary scale)

2.ขึ้น "keun"=ascend;rise

3.วอ "woh"=canopied palanquin which royals and other dignitaries used to be carried around in.

Also ขึ้นวอ "keun woh"

Hope this helps. :o

Snowleopard.

Much better, now I only have to wait for that topic to come up in conversation,. Should make use of it within the next five years.

Before the yucky little moonfaced toad rises to superior glory, you can call him a cow and ask him not to forget his hooves (on the way up):

วัวอย่าลืมตีน wua yaa leum tiin