Koh Samed

Isabellla

Define crowded. it's not empty, but have never seen it what I would call crowded. But I am from Southern Calif., so my definition may different then yours.

The beach is maybe a 3-4 hundred meters long. Most I have seen is a couple of hundred people along the the beach. Virtually all are guest of the non-major brand hotels/guesthouses of various architecture along the beach.

There is a marked off swimming area, with jet skis and such available outside that. Parasailing is offshore barges only. Many hotels put out beach dining in the evenings. Night life is limited. There is one club with live band and a couple of bars along beach as well. There is no open prostitution scene.

Have recommended it to many people. No one has complained.

TH

When I go to Samet, I stay in Ao Prao, at Lima Coco... they have 3 good rooms on the front end (toward the beach)... the first being the most expensive, but I think it's a little big for a couple, the second being just right, and the third being ok too...

Ao Prao is nice and quiet, has it's own beach/cove, and you can just hop on a motorcycle to get to the wildness and party if you want. But it's nice to wake up back in Ao Prao.

Define crowded. it's not empty, but have never seen it what I would call crowded. But I am from Southern Calif., so my definition may different then yours.

The beach is maybe a 3-4 hundred meters long. Most I have seen is a couple of hundred people along the the beach. Virtually all are guest of the non-major brand hotels/guesthouses of various architecture along the beach.

There is a marked off swimming area, with jet skis and such available outside that. Parasailing is offshore barges only. Many hotels put out beach dining in the evenings. Night life is limited. There is one club with live band and a couple of bars along beach as well. There is no open prostitution scene.

Have recommended it to many people. No one has complained.

TH

Very nice reply, is what I wished to know. How can you compare with Ao Phai Beach where Samed Villa Resort is located? Are they nice?

I read some good reviews about Samed Villa Resort?

Thanks again for your kind reply in advance

Edited by Isabellla

• 2 weeks later...

my friends and i stayed here in 2004. we had originally booked Puket but changed our plans twice and ended up here on koh samet. I guess I would call the place very lucky since we changed our original phuket plans twice, the first time would have put us right in the middle of the Tsunami! I was very surprised when I woke up in my room ithat morning on Koh Samet and saw the news about the tsunami.

The resort was very nice. The cove has about 6 other small hotels along the stretch. Each has fantastic outdoor barbecues at night. Food is laid out and you pick the fish you want cooked or chicken or whatever. Not expensive. Just beautiful. The bungalows were very clean. Water was lovely. Booked a few hour snorkel/boat tour around the island. snorkeled two times in various places. So so underwater scenery. Not really lush like the nature channel shots!

Really no night life here. No road. Bring your own fun or expect a get away. You can walk the sand trail up to the next resort but I would not do that at night. I don't think there is much to walk up to. Go for the peace and quiet. After, get a room on Soi 6,7, or 8 in Pattaya if you want noise and no sleep.

We booked through some small sidewalk kiosk in pattaya.

http://www.malibu-samet.com/malibu.htm

Planning next holidays and chose Koh Samed for a stopover while in Pattaya during Christmas.

Which beach? Sai Kaew Beach or Vong Duern? How is Vong Duern Beach accomodation, restaurant and nigtlife?

Hi Isabella,

A picture speaks a thousand words. Sai Kaew Beach during the rainy season. We usually stay at Sai Kaew villas, basic but clean and reasonably priced.

post-35173-1223271247_thumb.jpg

The roads are pretty bad on Samet so travelling by motor cycle can be quite hazardous so be forwarned.

Cheers, Rick