Thaksin's Brother In Law Voted As New Prime Minister

george

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somchai once asked Purachai the Crusader to sign off 2 billion baht fund for his ministry, Purachai refused and trimmed it to 900 million.

Somchai was really pissed off and Thaksin had to shift Purachai to yet another post to allow Somchai full access to government kitty.

Source please?

Just google it. It's an old story from the early days of TRT when Purachai was the rising star and couldn't tolerate their corruption. I saw it mentioned again a couple of days ago in the Nation.

OK, here it is for you, recapped in 2005

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2005/01/06...s_15982382.html

Somchai was a permanent secretary for Justice ministry and Purachai was just transferred from Interior for not giving in to MPs demands for funds.

I though we all deserve a chance to show our true colours

My brother in law and my self have totaly different ideas and you could say we re like chalk and cheese

The 1st thing we need to do is give him a chance to show his true side

If the government goes on a direct course to save Thaskin then we will see how he's feathered

Maybe just maybe he has his country at heart

Only time will tell

Maybe I am a dreamer

Very sensible post. Yes, everybody deserves a chance to show their true colours. (which I am pretty sure, we will see soon)

If he "goes on a direct course to save Thaskin", he will be more than feathered...he will most likely be tarred and feathered.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming... Someone once said "I have a dream" and today, we have a black man nominated by the Democratic Party of the US, to run for President of the United States.

You are dreaming along with some other great people, such as John Lennon, Martin Luther King, Donald Neal Walsh, so don't stop dreaming :o

Unbelievable! :o

Lawmakers elect Somchai

asia-somchai.jpg

A majority of Thai lawmakers have voted to elect ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's brother-in-law as the new prime minister.

With Wednesday's vote still under way in Thailand's lower house of Parliament, more than 236 lawmakers - the required majority - have supported the candidacy of Mr Somchai Wongsawat, 61, for prime minister.

The prospect of a prime minister related to the disgraced, deposed Thaksin and linked to his allies in the ruling People's Power Party was unlikely to disperse anti-government protesters who have been camped at the prime minister's official compound since Aug 26.

The ruling People's Power Party and its governing coalition hold 306 of the lower house's 480 seats.

Ten lawmakers were disqualified from voting.

Source: Straits Times - 17 September 2008

...The approximately 600 strong crowd criticized Mr. Abhisit for attempting to establish a new national administration....

What happened to the 20000 they promised to bring on today? Are they running out of money to pay for their DAAD support? I guess, if they don't get paid, they don't show up.

Oh well, less chance for violence, that's great.

Hope it will be a peaceful day again.

IF they think this is going to unify the country it will do the opposite. Samak was bad enough, but the brother in law of Thaksin? How infantile can this People's Power Party be? Are they this stupid or are they just thumbing their noses at the people? And shame on the coalition partners for voting for him. You know that Banharn and his lackeys had their pockets greased by Square Face for the vote. Absolutely shameless.

New and improved Thaksin Two!

asia-somchai.jpg

Skims and cleans family messes like no other but the original,

with exclusive wire-transferless remote control.

New Thaksin Two! Let it run your life!

My brother in law and my self have totaly different ideas and you could say we re like chalk and cheese

If the government goes on a direct course to save Thaskin then we will see how he's feathered

Only time will tell

Maybe I am a dreamer

I hope you're trollin'.

This guy is the brother of a convicted criminal on the run and the brother in law of a man fleeing charges of treason. In any other civilized country this guy would have been barred due to conflict of interest. It's not like he's been elected to become the interior minister or anything, he's now the PM with influence to unlawfully exonerate his criminal relatives.

Putting this guy as PM is just the PPP giving a big 'f­*** you' to the anti-thaksin camp.

Edited by Jai Dee
Profanity deleted

Thaksin brother-in-law Somchai elected Thai PM in party-line vote

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, brother-in-law of ousted fugitive prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was elected Wednesday as Thailand's 26th prime minister, defeating his rival, opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, by a large margin in the House of Representatives.

Mr. Somchai, who was deputy prime minister and education minister in the previous administration of Samak Sundaravej, obtained 298 votes while Mr. Abhisit received 163 votes. Five MPs abstained from voting.

After being declared as new prime minister, Mr. Somchai thanked members of the Lower House for entrusting

him to office, saying that he "would perform the duty to his best".

But his appointment as the Kingdom's top minister takes place amid warnings by anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters that they would not accept any member of the ruling People Power Party (PPP) as Thailand's premier.

The PAD has accused the PPP-led government of being a proxy for Mr. Thaksin, who is now living in Britain.

Mr. Somchai is deputy PPP leader.

PAD demonstrators hav e occupied Government House, the Thai prime minister's offices, since August 26.

Mr. Somchai's nomination as prime minister came after Mr. Samak was disqualified from office last week by the Constitution Court, being found guilty and in violation of the charter by accepting payments for hosting cooking shows on two commercial television stations.

-- TNA 2008-09-17

Here is a link to a summary of a lecture given by Phasuk Pongphaichit on the business links of the Thaksin clan. It incledes some interesting background on the new PM and his wife's (Wongsawat family) businesses but the whole piece is worth a read if a bit long. We may be hearing a bit more about some of these firms now he is PM.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/26...cs_30014674.php

Edited to add: you need to scroll as down a bit to see the heading on Shinawatra-Wongsawat businesses

Edited by hammered

Are they this stupid or are they just thumbing their noses at the people?

Well, the peopleactually elected Samak, and Thaksin before that with a fairly large margin. If you're referring to the People Against Democracy, they sure would be annoyed, but they demand nothing short of abolishing democracy and running the government themselves for indefinite time. Compared to PADs demands, the military junta (which promised elections within a year) seems mild... maybe that's the point.

Still, I can't understand why PPP, after taking the hit already with Samak's fall, could not try to come up with less divisive figurehead. Even if Somchai stands on his own merits, being big T's brother-in-law is a huge liability. PPP surely missed this chance to calm tensions down with this one.

Only time will tell

Maybe I am a dreamer

Very sensible post. Yes, everybody deserves a chance to show their true colours. (which I am pretty sure, we will see soon)

If he "goes on a direct course to save Thaskin", he will be more than feathered...he will most likely be tarred and feathered.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming... Someone once said "I have a dream" and today, we have a black man nominated by the Democratic Party of the US, to run for President of the United States.

You are dreaming along with some other great people, such as John Lennon, Martin Luther King, Donald Neal Walsh, so don't stop dreaming :o

Actually not!

At a population of 65 Million Thais, not everybody deserves a chance to show how corrupt he might be (or not) as premier. There is simply no time (and money) for it.

Forgot one more thing...

Democracy and principles notwithstanding, we Farang ought to collectively be on PAD's side. Both our groups benefit from keeping the poor Thais (PPP's electoral base) in subjugation and with limited opportunities. In fact, if condition of Issan farmers improves substantially, quite a few of us would have little reason for being to Thailand...

Well, the peopleactually elected Samak, and Thaksin before that with a fairly large margin. If you're referring to the People Against Democracy, they sure would be annoyed, but they demand nothing short of abolishing democracy and running the government themselves for indefinite time. Compared to PADs demands, the military junta (which promised elections within a year) seems mild... maybe that's the point.

Still, I can't understand why PPP, after taking the hit already with Samak's fall, could not try to come up with less divisive figurehead. Even if Somchai stands on his own merits, being big T's brother-in-law is a huge liability. PPP surely missed this chance to calm tensions down with this one.

They did not elect Samak...There was no election for premier. The election of PPP was only with massive vote buying so complete illegal in any democratic system.

More obvious than ever Thaksin is trying hard to stir up divisions in Thailand to further validate his asylum claims. He's never going to return her unless all the cases are dropped against him, so why give a toss?

Hopefully, just like how they handle DAAD supporters, the PAD won't take the bait and wind down the protest until Somchai attempts something for the criminal rather than the country again.

I am intrigued that, in the above contributions, so many assume that being Thaksin's brother-in-law makes him a Thaksin clone.

I am not aware that there is a general rule that women look to marry a man who is like their brother. And even if there is, there'll be exceptions to it.

I would have thought that there is an element of looking for a man who does NOT have your brother's faults.

Having a quick think through the brother and brother-in-law combinations that I know best, I see as many differences as I do similarities.

Up here, the view of my neighbours seems to be: "We see Thaksin as the Prime Minister who has served us best so far, i.e. as Thailand's least-worst Prime Minister to date. And if he got up the noses of the chattering classes in Bangkok, then he must have been doing something right. We might agree that he shouldn't have sold Shin, and certainly not exempted himself from paying tax on his profit, but that's no skin off our noses."

I guess we'll be hoping that the new PM looks after our interests as well, or better than, Thaksin did and that his 'softer, gentler nature' calms things down a bit before the coming of the big eventuality that lies behind all the 'jockeying for position' that has caused the last few years of political turmoil. But that's not open for discussion.

More obvious than ever Thaksin is trying hard to stir up divisions in Thailand to further validate his asylum claims. He's never going to return her unless all the cases are dropped against him, so why give a toss?

Hopefully, just like how they handle DAAD supporters, the PAD won't take the bait and wind down the protest until Somchai attempts something for the criminal rather than the country again.

He gives a toss because he wants his 76 BILLION bahtr stuck here,

much more than he wants British Asylum.

With 76Bbt he can BUY a small island state/ country..

Heck looks like he's close to purchased Thailand for less than that.

Seems like they really like to do things the hard way!

Why not just bring the original back? would be the quicker solution

Wonder how much this set him back?

In my opinion this will set Thailand back even further.

It will certainly put many potential foreign inverters off (of one I know) and some tourists will probably opt for more stable solutions.

Myself I don't really care any more its there country.

I wonder where all this leaves the ongoing Rachadaphisek land scandal case involving the new PM's sister and her husband ex PM Taksin? PM elect Somchai hasnt even started work and he is already involved in a massive conflict of interest......

It won't end here - not yet in office and "The Nation" comes up wit htese "News":

No hard evidence against Thaksin leaves court in a quandry

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Published on September 17, 2008

The key issues that will likely be touched upon during the Ratchadaphisek case against Thaksin Shinawatra and Khunying Pojaman would be whether Thaksin exercised his influence as PM in 2003 to help his wife win the auction.

So far, testimonies by virtually all witnesses from the state-controlled Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF), who auctioned the land, suggest that there is no hard evidence showing that Thaksin had misused his authority because FIDF supposedly had a certain level of independence from the government.

Unless the court comes up with some concrete evidence today it will be difficult to pass a guilty verdict.

Source:

the show is in full swing already!

At least Somchai throws 20 years of experience in the judiciary and must know a heck of a lot of people!

And somewhere else in todays news I read that he is not expected to last for long, only till he reconciled the country.... what could this mean, bringing together the 2 opposing factions, even monks were suggested for negotiations!

Well its going to be really interesting!

I am intrigued that, in the above contributions, so many assume that being Thaksin's brother-in-law makes him a Thaksin clone.

I am not aware that there is a general rule that women look to marry a man who is like their brother. And even if there is, there'll be exceptions to it.

I would have thought that there is an element of looking for a man who does NOT have your brother's faults.

Having a quick think through the brother and brother-in-law combinations that I know best, I see as many differences as I do similarities.

Up here, the view of my neighbours seems to be: "We see Thaksin as the Prime Minister who has served us best so far, i.e. as Thailand's least-worst Prime Minister to date. And if he got up the noses of the chattering classes in Bangkok, then he must have been doing something right. We might agree that he shouldn't have sold Shin, and certainly not exempted himself from paying tax on his profit, but that's no skin off our noses."

I guess we'll be hoping that the new PM looks after our interests as well, or better than, Thaksin did and that his 'softer, gentler nature' calms things down a bit before the coming of the big eventuality that lies behind all the 'jockeying for position' that has caused the last few years of political turmoil. But that's not open for discussion.

I've also seen the weirdest of brother in law combinations suddenly close ranks,

when there's a HUGE pile o cash on the table.

Finally, someone gets to the main problem, thank you 'crocodilexp'. The P A D have the word democrazy in its name but they do not know what democrazy is. That is the problem, not who is PM or not, leave that to the thai people to decide which they allready have done. I truly beleive that ANY choise of new PM will not calm down the PAD, they have other goals. I hope they do not succeed because that will be the end of democrazy.

I suspect P.A.D. will now really dig-in. Fun? hmmmmm Western business reaction is already negative.
Oh well its no more velvet curtain on the PPP side. It is now out in the open and official. Thaksin is really running the show :o

The fun begins

Wester business reaction??? hmm maybe its the global stock plunge. Get your facts straight...

Only time will tell

Maybe I am a dreamer

Actually not!

At a population of 65 Million Thais, not everybody deserves a chance to show how corrupt he might be (or not) as premier. There is simply no time (and money) for it.

Hahaha the comedian returns. I guess your mind was already made up so much for having any sensible debate with your comical posts.

Now he just has to choose a defence minister acceptable to the military

And in the meantime it will be interesting to see if the media do start to background check him and his families business affairs as only cursory internet checks seem to expose some intersting little pieces. Strange that wasnt done in advance

What a joke. Convinced now that things will never change.

We all get old/older and die. All things will change. We may not be around for it, but things here in the realm seem to be changing. One can only hope for the change to be positive:)

I can just see it now. The Pro-PAD sheep are busy away researching the new PM to find any remote peice of negative press. So sad.

Oh well I wish the new PM all the best and think he is the right guy to solve the great divide in Thailand. Good luck to him.