Thaksin's Brother In Law Voted As New Prime Minister

george

I though we all deserve a chance to show our true colours

My brother in law and my self have totaly different ideas and you could say we re like chalk and cheese

The 1st thing we need to do is give him a chance to show his true side

If the government goes on a direct course to save Thaskin then we will see how he's feathered

Maybe just maybe he has his country at heart

Only time will tell

Maybe I am a dreamer

I hope you're trollin'.

This guy is the brother of a convicted criminal on the run and the brother in law of a man fleeing charges of treason. In any other civilized country this guy would have been barred due to conflict of interest. It's not like he's been elected to become the interior minister or anything, he's now the PM with influence to unlawfully exonerate his criminal relatives.

Putting this guy as PM is just the PPP giving a big 'f­*** you' to the anti-thaksin camp.

CORRECTION: He is not Pojamon's brother. He is the husband of Thaksin's sister. So he's not the brother of a convicted criminal on the run.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I though we all deserve a chance to show our true colours

My brother in law and my self have totaly different ideas and you could say we re like chalk and cheese

The 1st thing we need to do is give him a chance to show his true side

If the government goes on a direct course to save Thaskin then we will see how he's feathered

Maybe just maybe he has his country at heart

Only time will tell

Maybe I am a dreamer

I hope you're trollin'.

This guy is the brother of a convicted criminal on the run and the brother in law of a man fleeing charges of treason. In any other civilized country this guy would have been barred due to conflict of interest. It's not like he's been elected to become the interior minister or anything, he's now the PM with influence to unlawfully exonerate his criminal relatives.

Putting this guy as PM is just the PPP giving a big 'f­*** you' to the anti-thaksin camp.

Hit the nail on the head.

PPP surely missed this chance to calm tensions down with this one.

Nobody's going to buy off PAD. The only way out is for PAD to realize that they've lost, and for PPP to come up with a face-saving way for PAD to back off. If PAD will "give Somchai a few months to prove himself, and go home in the meantime", then things can cool off. But that has to be a negogiated deal.

Samak was right - let them sit there forever.

There are three sources of legitimacy in Thailand: the votors, the army, and the King. The army and the King are staying out of it as long as nobody kills anybody, and the PPP has the votors behind them. So PAD has no source of legitimacy left. There is no one they can convince to be on their side, nobody they can appeal to. PAD needs a face-saving way to back down. Unfortunately, the unilateral election of Somchai as PM will not give it to them. Prepare for more fireworks. IMHO.

LOL War Zone. You sir, are a funny man.

sorry, wasn't intended to be funny. bit of hyperbole there. change it to i wouldn't want them walking into a free democratic protest and peaceful public demonstration against political corruption, albeit with added baseball bats and swords.

I was sitting late last night trying to find a way through this little problem!

I cannot be Prime Minister

And looks like my father, mother, brother, sister, wife, cannot either

So I had brilliant idea

Little sister’s husband can be Prime Minister

And Ha Ha it worked

And he has no money and is a wimp! But he won’t be short of a bob or 2 for now!! He He.

How many countries can you rule from a flat in Kensington??

Must get in touch with those Vietnamese, Burmese, Laos, Cambodians etc.

I hear someone is trying to sell Phuket to Singapore…WHY? I thought they owned it already!!!!! Just goes to show I am not up to the minute on everything. Now where is my bloody phone?

I suspect P.A.D. will now really dig-in. Fun? hmmmmm Western business reaction is already negative.
Oh well its no more velvet curtain on the PPP side. It is now out in the open and official. Thaksin is really running the show :o

The fun begins

Wester business reaction??? hmm maybe its the global stock plunge. Get your facts straight...

you are right on that....impact from the US problem.....

Here is a link to a summary of a lecture given by Phasuk Pongphaichit on the business links of the Thaksin clan. It incledes some interesting background on the new PM and his wife's (Wongsawat family) businesses but the whole piece is worth a read if a bit long. We may be hearing a bit more about some of these firms now he is PM.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/26...cs_30014674.php

Edited to add: you need to scroll as down a bit to see the heading on Shinawatra-Wongsawat businesses

Thanks for the illumination, great!

And all of a sudden the court finds it "difficult" to produce hard evidence to convict Doc T. it's getting betterday byday - let the show go on!

"But sadistic political pundits say that to really put Thailand on the world map of political lunacy, nothing can beat the scenario in which the court acquits Thaksin today. Yes, an acquittal will leave everyone in stitches, except the man who fled to England claiming a "dictatorial" judiciary with "no credibility" whatsoever was out to get him. His answer to the question "Do you still think the Thai courts have no credibility?" will become the most sought-after, priceless political gem.

But acquitting him and his wife requires the best legal brains. With precedents having been laid down on the constitutional legitimacy of the Assets Examination Committee, an acquittal verdict needs to refute the prosecution's damning evidence that: 1) the Financial Institutions Development Fund was a state agency under Thaksin's supervision and influence; 2) Thaksin knowingly endorsed his wife's purchase of the Ratchadaphisek land put on auction by the FIDF; and 3) the transaction violated laws on conflicts of interests and put the state at a disadvantage. "

Source:

"...could someone please give me a potted likelihood of what bangkok might be like in a couple of weeks' time based on this? i have elderly relatives coming to visit and don't want them walking into a war zone. thanks."

The 'smoke and mirrors' display wull probably still be going on, but it won't be affecting the big airport where they'll be arriving---nor will that yet have sunk into Cobra swamp.

Just tell them not to wear either yellow shirts or red shirts and keep them away from Government House etc. (Not that that area is on the 'normal tourist trail' anyway.)

They'll be OK.

LOL War Zone. You sir, are a funny man.

sorry, wasn't intended to be funny. bit of hyperbole there. change it to i wouldn't want them walking into a free democratic protest and peaceful public demonstration against political corruption, albeit with added baseball bats and swords.

look my pictures: http://www.psxtune.com/padweb

not dangerous but of course it does not sense to scare your parents, just do not walk into DAAD

I was sitting late last night trying to find a way through this little problem!

I cannot be Prime Minister

And looks like my father, mother, brother, sister, wife, cannot either

So I had brilliant idea

Little sister’s husband can be Prime Minister

And Ha Ha it worked

And he has no money and is a wimp! But he won’t be short of a bob or 2 for now!! He He.

How many countries can you rule from a flat in Kensington??

Must get in touch with those Vietnamese, Burmese, Laos, Cambodians etc.

I hear someone is trying to sell Phuket to Singapore…WHY? I thought they owned it already!!!!! Just goes to show I am not up to the minute on everything. Now where is my bloody phone?

You can get Prime Minister, some slight changes in the constitution and you can.....There are bigger changes pending.

The 'smoke and mirrors' display wull probably still be going on, but it won't be affecting the big airport where they'll be arriving---nor will that yet have sunk into Cobra swamp.

Just tell them not to wear either yellow shirts or red shirts and keep them away from Government House etc. (Not that that area is on the 'normal tourist trail' anyway.)

They'll be OK.

thanks martin.

look my pictures: http://www.psxtune.com/padweb

not dangerous but of course it does not sense to scare your parents, just do not walk into DAAD

and thanks h90.

Let battle commence might be more appropriate, the PADdys are NOT going to take this one lying down. Whilst betting is strictly illegal in this country as we know, what odds on him surviviing beyond New year?

I give him 2 months or less...

Good luck to Thailand's new PM.

I guess nobody really cares about the PAD anymore, let them continue their great little camping trip, they are quite harmless anyway.

Harmless, yes.

Ineffective? Definitely not.

Through persistence they brought about Thaksin's & Samak's eventual downfall.

Don't write them off just yet. They have some serious support.

Edited by ratcatcher

PPP surely missed this chance to calm tensions down with this one.

Nobody's going to buy off PAD. The only way out is for PAD to realize that they've lost, and for PPP to come up with a face-saving way for PAD to back off. If PAD will "give Somchai a few months to prove himself, and go home in the meantime", then things can cool off. But that has to be a negogiated deal.

Samak was right - let them sit there forever.

There are three sources of legitimacy in Thailand: the votors, the army, and the King. The army and the King are staying out of it as long as nobody kills anybody, and the PPP has the votors behind them. So PAD has no source of legitimacy left. There is no one they can convince to be on their side, nobody they can appeal to. PAD needs a face-saving way to back down. Unfortunately, the unilateral election of Somchai as PM will not give it to them. Prepare for more fireworks. IMHO.

Unfortunately if the government try to do anything at all that will lead to a politcal return of Thaksin or may even been deeme in that way certain of your assumptions about people staying out of the fray may well prove to be untrue. The selection of Somchai has just massivley raised the stakes vis-a-vis Thaksin and people (not the PAD) who do not want his return ever. Now the ball is in the PPPs court for what happens next. If they make a mistake you will get fireworks and it could well end up coming from a direction different fromt eh PAD encamped at GH

Forgot one more thing...

Democracy and principles notwithstanding, we Farang ought to collectively be on PAD's side. Both our groups benefit from keeping the poor Thais (PPP's electoral base) in subjugation and with limited opportunities. In fact, if condition of Issan farmers improves substantially, quite a few of us would have little reason for being to Thailand...

Speak for yourself mate!

New PM greets supporters in front of Parliament

Following the Parliament vote to place Mr. Somchai Wongsawat as the new Prime Minister, the newly elected premier was greeted by supporters cheering in front of the Parliament building. He thanked supporters for their devotion and promised that he would fulfill his role to the utmost.

The new PM spent only a few moments greeting the gathered crowd due to the large amount of people in the area and the rainy weather. The supporters expressed their acceptance of Mr. Somchai, cheering for him during his address before peacefully dispersing.

Most of the gathered supporters hailed from provinces such as Nakorn Pathom, Nonthaburi and Chiang Rai with Bangkok residents hailing most the Klong Toey area as well as Democratic Alliance Against Dictatoship members from Sanam Luang.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 September 2008

Forgot one more thing...

Democracy and principles notwithstanding, we Farang ought to collectively be on PAD's side. Both our groups benefit from keeping the poor Thais (PPP's electoral base) in subjugation and with limited opportunities. In fact, if condition of Issan farmers improves substantially, quite a few of us would have little reason for being to Thailand...

Speak for yourself mate!

Can you expand a little on your theory.

I suppose it depends on one's reasons for being in Thailand?

This is really a slap in the face for the Thai people and democracy in general. While I do not condone overthrowing any government I certainly do understand the frustration of the Thai people in trying to eliminate the Thaksin era. Thaksin, minus corruption charges, etc., had the potential to be truly respected and recognized as a positive force particularly for building the Thai economy and infrastructure but he chose another route and one that put family and friends above the good of the public. Now he reigns from outside the country while arrest warrants exist here. If ever there was a good reason for a coup or an overthrow I am afraid it has been put forward on a golden plate. Now we will see if the Thai people can digest this regurgitated excuse for leadership. I doubt they can.

I wonder where all this leaves the ongoing Rachadaphisek land scandal case involving the new PM's sister and her husband ex PM Taksin? PM elect Somchai hasnt even started work and he is already involved in a massive conflict of interest.A bunch of secondary students from any Western world school could do a better job running Thailand ,Burma and Laos.Lets face it,they couldnt do any worse! :o

Would it be too naive of me to suggest that the guy is given a chance? :-)

Data