Bangkok Fishing

petejones

Hi fellow expats,

where can I go in bangkok to catch catfish or other large fish that will put up a good fight. I live near Asoke. I don't plan to pay something along the lines of 5000 or 6000 baht.

I have the rods, reels, bait, hooks etc. I just want to know of a lake with good sized fish. I want to pay for the day and fish to my hearts content. It doesnt have to be run by expats either.

Many Thanks

hmmm in BKK i know of bung samran (fun swamp in eng!!) which has huge mekong catfish, very strong, along with siamese carp and others...costs per day for take your own (strong) rod was 500 baht last time i went, add to this hut rental (500 - 2000) if you want privacy and bait (neccessity and cheap) and a guide who will help you (especially when you start - learn the tricks!) and its a few baht, but well spent. There are also pla kapong (barramundi) places near - boon mar ponds and also bor num near bang kapong and also a place near to bang na/bang pli where the owner is very nice and also helpful. Cheap places and very good fun on lures. If you ever want to go out of BKK there are good snakehead res. in kanjanaburi and also here in Chew lan in the south (Surathani).

Hi fellow expats,

where can I go in bangkok to catch catfish or other large fish that will put up a good fight. I live near Asoke. I don't plan to pay something along the lines of 5000 or 6000 baht.

I have the rods, reels, bait, hooks etc. I just want to know of a lake with good sized fish. I want to pay for the day and fish to my hearts content. It doesnt have to be run by expats either.

Many Thanks

Go for Barramundi the best fighting fish you will ever catch, there is a place in BKK.

• 3 months later...

ok it has to be Bung Sam Ran !!

1,000 baht a day per rod 9am - 9pm

bait up to 500 baht for a big bag of lam

fish from the middle free

rent a bungalow 800 - 5,000 good bungalow number 24 800 bhat!

if you are unsure of the rig then ask for shane at the front desk, he works there, ask him for 5 min and say (pointing at the lake and your gear) I dont know. he is a good guy and will help you out.

address

soi 42

nawamin rd

Bang kapi

turn down soi 42 and go to the end, dont turn off, it you dont stop at the end you will drive through the front and into the lake :-)

as for tackle you can get it there at the shop (best shop in bangkok)

as for the fishing style, go take a look at the place have a meal and watch the locals have a look at the rigs it is very easy, the main thing is to run you float stopper at about 1 - 2 m and your trace at about 8cm with a 2/0 hook. to check out the rigs go into the fishing shop as this is where they keep the rental rods, you can see how they have rigged them there :-)

BE WARNED this place kills gear and rods, the average fish is about 17kg and they top out at submarines !!!!

you dont need to book you can just turn up but if you want a bungalow then phoning is best.

there web site is www.bungsamran.com

beware of some of the fishing tour companies as some will tell you a load of !#$!#$% others will tell you where and how to fish so dont tar us all with the same brush :-)

Kiwi

if you want anymore information then just post and I will do my best to answer it

Edited by ThailandFishingBangkok

• 2 weeks later...
Hi fellow expats,

Many Thanks

Actualy there are many places in bangkok infact some are also around sukhumvit, Many evenings after work i go to a fishing park along onnut soi 17 named bungachow ...most are plah sawai around 7kg upto 30kg...cost for a full day and evening are 35 baht and bait costs 50baht for a large bag of scented bread ...opening times are 8am till 10pm,

Another place i frequent is shadow lake (gnau nam) i go there maybe 2 times per week...my best catch there was a mehkong catfish 83kg but most times there i manage to catch 4-5 catfish around 40-50kg and they fight well, I also caught a few giant siamese carp there around 30-40kg, Costs are 150 baht for a 12 hour session and bait is 100 baht per bucket, I really like this place and usualy spend the night there sleeping in my hammock with my rod hanging above my head from the roof of the shelter...just have to jump out the hammock half asleep and grab the rod when the line is running off and the ratchet sounds like a turbo :o

A few weeks ago one evening i drove to bungsamran for the first time but i,m one of those farangs who feels this double pricing to be immoral ...400baht khon thai....1000baht farangs....i consider this not only imorral but racist and voted with my feet ...jumped in the car and drove to shadow lake, If not for this racist pricing mentality i would maybe fish bungsamran 1-2 times per week...i see it as penny wise pound stupid,

Finding all these places is quite simple...i just search them on google earth....tools ...directions...print, Its said there are more than 100 fishing ponds and lakes in and around bkk ...i can well believe it and although i have been to maybe 15 of them only a few inspired me, ie i like to catch big fish and not be surrounded by rubbish.

The tackle i use mostly is a heavy action 7ft casting rod with a penn 209 reel, line is a 45lb mono, basic rig setup with a 80lb braided trace and nr13 hook, the only modification i made was i cut up a large foam float and glued it to the inside of the spring like thing where you pack the bread ball, i imagine because of the amount of bread used at these places its possible the bottom has a thick layer of black bread silt....i think the foam inside the feeder helps it not sink into the quagmire down there and therefore easier for the fish to find.

• 1 month later...
Hi fellow expats,

Many Thanks

Actualy there are many places in bangkok infact some are also around sukhumvit, Many evenings after work i go to a fishing park along onnut soi 17 named bungachow ...most are plah sawai around 7kg upto 30kg...cost for a full day and evening are 35 baht and bait costs 50baht for a large bag of scented bread ...opening times are 8am till 10pm,

Another place i frequent is shadow lake (gnau nam) i go there maybe 2 times per week...my best catch there was a mehkong catfish 83kg but most times there i manage to catch 4-5 catfish around 40-50kg and they fight well, I also caught a few giant siamese carp there around 30-40kg, Costs are 150 baht for a 12 hour session and bait is 100 baht per bucket, I really like this place and usualy spend the night there sleeping in my hammock with my rod hanging above my head from the roof of the shelter...just have to jump out the hammock half asleep and grab the rod when the line is running off and the ratchet sounds like a turbo :o

A few weeks ago one evening i drove to bungsamran for the first time but i,m one of those farangs who feels this double pricing to be immoral ...400baht khon thai....1000baht farangs....i consider this not only imorral but racist and voted with my feet ...jumped in the car and drove to shadow lake, If not for this racist pricing mentality i would maybe fish bungsamran 1-2 times per week...i see it as penny wise pound stupid,

Finding all these places is quite simple...i just search them on google earth....tools ...directions...print, Its said there are more than 100 fishing ponds and lakes in and around bkk ...i can well believe it and although i have been to maybe 15 of them only a few inspired me, ie i like to catch big fish and not be surrounded by rubbish.

The tackle i use mostly is a heavy action 7ft casting rod with a penn 209 reel, line is a 45lb mono, basic rig setup with a 80lb braided trace and nr13 hook, the only modification i made was i cut up a large foam float and glued it to the inside of the spring like thing where you pack the bread ball, i imagine because of the amount of bread used at these places its possible the bottom has a thick layer of black bread silt....i think the foam inside the feeder helps it not sink into the quagmire down there and therefore easier for the fish to find.

Lots of great info there, thanks

Been looking on Google Earth trying to find the place on On Nut, Soi 17 but can't see where it is. Some directions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
can you please give us directions to shadow lake?

i can try

if you drive from big king banyai to the mall bang ke then there will be a turnoff to pra pink kaa.. you just pass it and then go up over a a flyover.. then take the second u turn after that. Then take the first road you can go on your left. Go strait till you pass trafic lights.. then go straig again untill you pass a small bridge and have a metal working shop on the right and a coca cola sign on the left. WHere the coca cola sign is is shadow lake

• 1 month later...
can you please give us directions to shadow lake?

i can try

if you drive from big king banyai to the mall bang ke then there will be a turnoff to pra pink kaa.. you just pass it and then go up over a a flyover.. then take the second u turn after that. Then take the first road you can go on your left. Go strait till you pass trafic lights.. then go straig again untill you pass a small bridge and have a metal working shop on the right and a coca cola sign on the left. WHere the coca cola sign is is shadow lake

If Someone has a GPS and goes to Shadow lake please post the coordinates for others. Also coordinates for any other fishing places.

Thanks

Dan

• 2 months later...

I too would like to do some fishing, and I like the look of bung samran, I don't like the cost the tour company's are quoting, 6500 baht for 6-8 hours fishing.

I figure i would go to the lake myself and hire equipment i needed, and a modest bungalow. (You can hire rods there, right?)

I wood need a guide as i wouldn't know the rigs tackle and bait too use.Does anyone know if it is possable to hire a guide at the lake(how much?)

I figure i could do this for half the cost of the tour company.

I can take a taxi or public transport to the lake from downtown Bangkok right?

I will be in Bangkok around 13Th or 14Th November if anyone can help.

Sorry I know this is for ex pats which i am not. but I am hoping to be one day.

I too would like to do some fishing, and I like the look of bung samran, I don't like the cost the tour company's are quoting, 6500 baht for 6-8 hours fishing.

I figure i would go to the lake myself and hire equipment i needed, and a modest bungalow. (You can hire rods there, right?)

I wood need a guide as i wouldn't know the rigs tackle and bait too use.Does anyone know if it is possable to hire a guide at the lake(how much?)

Its easy to get there by meter taxi for about 100baht from central Bkk. Its on Nawamin road at soi 42.

All equipment is for hire, and they have English speaking guides waiting. You dont need to rent a bungalow, its good fun fishing on the walkway there and just as many fish Im sure.

I had previously only fished there with my ex Thai boss who always paid for me about 200 or 500 baht. Recently I went alone and they charged me at least double that and lady at the counter also made some stupid remark(in Thai to her coworker) about not wanting farang to come in. Guide was about 500 baht and was very good until I bought him a beer and after drinking 1 chang appeared very drunk and wouldnt stop bragging.

Lots of big catfish there and very easy to catch, good fun for half a day.

However, in light of the poor attitude and double pricing for farang/japs etc I will not be going back. There is also a big tackle shop there, great for a bit of window shopping but about 50 to 100% more expensive than you would pay at Rangsit shops or parknum.

Its easy to get there by meter taxi for about 100baht from central Bkk. Its on Nawamin road at soi 42.

All equipment is for hire, and they have English speaking guides waiting. You dont need to rent a bungalow, its good fun fishing on the walkway there and just as many fish Im sure.

I had previously only fished there with my ex Thai boss who always paid for me about 200 or 500 baht. Recently I went alone and they charged me at least double that and lady at the counter also made some stupid remark(in Thai to her coworker) about not wanting farang to come in. Guide was about 500 baht and was very good until I bought him a beer and after drinking 1 chang appeared very drunk and wouldnt stop bragging.

Lots of big catfish there and very easy to catch, good fun for half a day.

However, in light of the poor attitude and double pricing for farang/japs etc I will not be going back. There is also a big tackle shop there, great for a bit of window shopping but about 50 to 100% more expensive than you would pay at Rangsit shops or parknum.

Thanks very much for the info. Thailand is very racist in many ways, If we in the UK/Ireland charged Asians more for everything we would be taken up in front of the European court for human rights.

anyway I might just try and make my own way there, as I am tired of catching nothing at home. Is there somewhere I can get the address in Thai and print it out for the taxi driver? my tai pronunciation is not very good. I got into a cab last year and asked to be taken to Khao san road, the taxi driver nearly had a hartattack, he was sure I said Khon Kean. lol

happy to oblige :)

บ่อตกปลาบึงสำราญ ซ.นวมินทร์42

Show that to a taxi driver, will be easy.

I forgot to mention that beer chang was ony 25baht for a can. The Thai food was also excellent and very cheap.

happy to oblige :)

บ่อตกปลาบึงสำราญ ซ.นวมินทร์42

Show that to a taxi driver, will be easy.

I forgot to mention that beer chang was ony 25baht for a can. The Thai food was also excellent and very cheap.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it went.

• 3 weeks later...

if you need any help finding the lake then call kiwi on 085109 6979 and he can talk to the taxi driver for you to make sure you get there.

do not follow the directions that are posted on the map when you google fishing bangkok as mango fishing has listed this on the other side of bangkok, funny that!!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...mp;oq=&aqi=

now they know where it is, so you do have to ask why that company has put it in the wrong place!!!!

try this go to google maps and search this

Nawamin 42 Yaek 42-28, Khlong Kum, Bueng Kum, Bangkok 10240, Thailand

you will see the lakes there

here are details of address.

http://kiwifishingbangkok.com/BUNG%20SAM%20RAN.html

hope it helps

as for the cost, here is what it will cost you going direct with no gear and using a bung sam ran guide.

if you do take your own gear dont use english carp fishing rods as they are to long, they tend to break when a fish goes under your bungalow (and it will happen!!) 7 - 8 foot is about the longest you want there as the roofs on the bungalows make it hard to cast anything longer.

remember these fish kill gear!!! they cook reels and break rods!!

here are your direct prices

1000 baht to fish

500 baht to rent a rod

taxi from bangkok central about 200 baht to 400 baht each way depending on where you are and the time of day

bungalow (use bungalow 25 or 24, 23,22) 800 baht

bait lam 500 baht

tackle as you will loose it due to the retal rods and the nylon they use 200 baht??

net rental 60 baht

and a local guide that does not speak english is 1,000 baht

if you have never fished the place then take a guide for the first day even if it is a local bung sam ran guide as it will pay off big time, it is not like any other fishing style that I have come across with all of my international fishing.

so total for the day is about 4,860 baht.

plus tips

add your food and drinks so budget 5,500 and you will be close.

it anyone says that it is cheaper then they dont know the rates that the lake are now charging.

yes you can do it cheaper by using your own gear, but this will give you the ability to work out the rates and savings.

enjoy the fishing.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help. I arrived in Bangkok early as i was coming form Udon on overnight train. after finding a place to stay I went stright to bung sam ran 240bhat taxi. I arrived at 9am and fished till around 6pm although the guide finished at 5pm. Fishing 1000bhat, 500bhat rod, 1000bhat guide, and bucket of bait beteen 130 and 165bhat I used 3 or 4. also went trough 4 rigs costing obout 80-100 bhat each so the whole day cost around 3800bhat still expencive, but hay I will never get a chance too catch fish like that again.

I got around 12-13 fish the first 4kg (I wanted to take a photo, but the guide laughed and said "only small, throw back" :) )

he next 18kg then about 7fish over 20kg 2 fish over 25kg and 2 fish over 35kg. not to mention the ones that got away (of course they were at least 50-100kg :D )

If you are there a few times you will learn to make up the bait and people fishing there will be glad to help, but i would recomend a guide for the first time fishing there.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the help. I arrived in Bangkok early as i was coming form Udon on overnight train. after finding a place to stay I went stright to bung sam ran 240bhat taxi. I arrived at 9am and fished till around 6pm although the guide finished at 5pm. Fishing 1000bhat, 500bhat rod, 1000bhat guide, and bucket of bait beteen 130 and 165bhat I used 3 or 4. also went trough 4 rigs costing obout 80-100 bhat each so the whole day cost around 3800bhat still expencive, but hay I will never get a chance too catch fish like that again.

I got around 12-13 fish the first 4kg (I wanted to take a photo, but the guide laughed and said "only small, throw back" :) )

he next 18kg then about 7fish over 20kg 2 fish over 25kg and 2 fish over 35kg. not to mention the ones that got away (of course they were at least 50-100kg :D )

If you are there a few times you will learn to make up the bait and people fishing there will be glad to help, but i would recomend a guide for the first time fishing there.

If you don;t want to give yourself a hernia perhaps a guide is best everytime? LOL