Bistro Eurogourmet

JohnBKKK

So were do you keep the pasty's you cooked on thursday? PHEW

WELL I EDITED MY ORIGINAL COMMENT TO THIS STUPID REPLY JUST TO MAKE A POINT .. AS I SAID ABOVE WE KEEP THEM IN THE REFRIDGERATOR AT 2C AND THEY ARE REPLACED EVERY WEEK

Now do you seriously believe that if you go to Cornwall to a bakery and order a Cornish Party someone in their kitchen starts making the pastry and ..... or do you really believe that when they close and they have 80 or so pasty's left they throw them away ???

Now those are not questions just statements I do not wish to further converse with someone who is either pissed or otherwise mentally handicapped or has some sort of vendetta on his mind .. you would't be JFC in disguise would you now

Edited by JohnBKKK

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a piece of interesting information .. this chap did put the following thread into this forum "Western Wholesale Meat Company" now that does make one wonder about any possible reason why the rubbish above

One more response from bangkokboro here and I will contact the moderators

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi all,

Thanksgiving is not too far away and I was thinking about doing a special for the Bistro and of course home deivery by chefsxp. Here are some suggestions and anyone interested please respond - it will have to be pre booking

1) a whole deep fried Turkey for home delivery with chestnut stuffing, gravy, sprouts and mashed potato

2) 1/2 a deep fried Turkey for home delivery with chestnut stuffing, gravy, sprouts and mashed potato

3) a breast of Turkey wrapped in Bacon with chestnut stuffing, gravy, sprouts and mashed potato

we will of course also have something special at the Bistro as well,

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

IMHO, deep frying the turkey changes the texture so that it seems more like chicken than turkey. The Art Cafe in Chiang Mai started doing this a few years ago and everyone I know agrees that it might be easier, but it just doesn't taste like a classic holiday turkey. :o

well its an American thing so I figured for Thanksgiving which is also an American thing and having spoken to a few US friends they stated that they find deep-fried Turkey juicier and better than roasted .....

The problem is that in order to home deliverfreshly done, hot whole Turkeys for Thanksgiving Dinner to a number of different addresses deepfrying is the only option .. we have a 15 Gallon electric deep-fryer with perfect temperatur controll so we can do this .. the oil has to be discarded after though and is not going to be cheap considering today's cooking oil prices

The Breast is of course NOT deepfried, but rapped in bacon and roasted and will also be available in individual portions - the Bacon serves 2 purposses - to keep the meat moist and to add flavor after the breasts are done, the Bacon is removed and the skin crisped up - the bacon is also supplied seperate though

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

I really don't think I've ever had deep fried turkey. Even chicken has always been crumbed before frying.

We bought a Turkey in Lao once, a bird the size of a small emu and roasted it very slowly for about eight hours.

I remember the Lao made salad out of the cauliflower I bought when I had big plans for cauliflower cheese as an accompaniment and put the string beans in the pan with the roast potatoes.

I made a bread and onion stuffing but couldn't find sage in any form so just wandered through the market tasting all these strange herbs and picking out what tasted good to mix in with the stuffing.

Jeez that was a great Christmas, great meal with Bordeaux wine to wash it all down.

Are you cooking locally grown birds rather than the frozen chunks they sell at Villa?

Hi,

did a catering job last year for a customer who insisted I use imported, frozen "Butterball" Turkey's ...... I was amazed at the amount of water they put into those to add weight which was evident by the incredible amount of water after slow de-frosting for 48 hours in the fridge and the shrinkage during roasting - far more than I would normally expect - I now call them "Waterballs" .... am currently looking at two choices with our importer ... free range frozen birds from Germany or chilled ones (more expensive) .. its gonna be a question of price acceptance by our customers - those birds are shipped by frozen or chilled air freight.... will have to decide this week though to get them here in time, however, if customers cringe at the higher price I will have to source locally - this is the reason why I'm asking for orders early since we also have some catering jobs again and I will have to order next week,

John

I really don't think I've ever had deep fried turkey. Even chicken has always been crumbed before frying.

Hi,

deep frying a Turkey, or Chicken for that matter is simply a question of oil temperature - you can deep fry a whole Turkey within 45 minutes or so depending on size and it will be moist and in many cases better than the rather dusty (dry) birds landing on many tables at Thanksgiving - it's rubbed inside and out with a "dry rub" of herbs and spices - the draw back is, that you have to discard the oil afterwards and if you figure that you will need at least a 10 Gallon deep-fryer to do a whole Turkey that is not a cheap undertaking at today's cooking oil prices -

This is primarily done in the US and considered much better than roasting by those who had it

Wheninitially I heard of it, I sort of cringed at the thought but than I got thinking .... Confit of Duck ... usualy legs of duck slowly done, covered in duck fat ... hmm not that much different and a comfit is a moist, meaty delight

So if deep frying a Turkey, keeping the oil temperatur really low ... sure enough, the result is a very moist Turkey . not bad at all -

The logic is simple, the temp to about 140 to 160C and slowly finish the bird - and you have a moist tasty Turkey - in this case, the meat is sealed inside and out imediately when placed into the oil where as during roasting you loose a lot of juices all the time which is why you have to baste it .... once the bird has been given sufficient time for the oil to drip off, you have a bird that has about the same amount of fat as a roasted one (for those who are health concious)

All I can go by is my experience with Art Cafe, but I used to eat their roast turkey dinner there every year even though they were not the best in town, but after they switched to the deep fried method, I had to stop. I get the logic about why it is supposed to taste better, but in reality, it ends up with the wrong texture and didn't taste very good to me or my friends.

It is possible that they were not doing the "dry rub" of herbs and spices, but it just wasn't up to snuff. :o

All I can go by is my experience with Art Cafe, but I used to eat their roast turkey dinner there every year even though they were not the best in town, but after they switched to the deep fried method, I had to stop. I get the logic about why it is supposed to taste better, but in reality, it ends up with the wrong texture and didn't taste very good to me or my friends.

It is possible that they were not doing the "dry rub" of herbs and spices, but it just wasn't up to snuff. :o

Hi Ulysses,

it is very possible that they did not do the dry rub because that is what spoils the oil for any other uses - I made one last year just for testing for our Xmas staff party when oil was not yet a major investment and it came out perfect ... I have a group of US American's who cme to the Bistro every Saturday to get their fill of pork knuckles mashed potatoes and sauerkraut and they all had Turkey deep fried and love it. I also, just as it comes out of the oil, placed it into a very very hot oven for a few minutes for the skin to really crisp up which may also help. There is also one more step in preparing the Turkey but we don't want to tell all now :D

But the logic is there, Goose, a very fat bird is perfect for roasting (yummy) but roasting Turkey which has very little fat is actually against all normal cooking logic but its traditon and the texture of a deep-fried Turkey is naturally slightly different since it is more moist, may be initially a surprise but if the flavor is right, a delight

John

p.s. for those who live allone or with their Thai spouses who may not be fond of Turkey - we are going t have the "Mother of all Turkey sandwiches" on the menu as well from just before Thanksgiving until after Xmas - it will be on wallnut-bread and with Cumberland sauce .... more later - and of course individual portions of Turkey Brest with all the trimmings

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi,

new addition to our menu!

As of tomorrow we offer a Balkan (also very popular in Germany) speciallity - Schaschlik

It's Chunks of Pork Bacon Beef and Onion on a skewer, BBQ'd and covered in a "Gipsy" stile sauce with red and green Bell Peppers - its like a mixed Grill on a scewer - highly delicious and a very good portion too - we will serve it with French Fries

post-30681-1225883579_thumb.png

Schaschlik higjly recommended

Anyone wanting to order a Turkey for Thanksgiving can do so now by going to our on-line shop here - prices quoted are per KG where the average bird will have 8KG - all traditional side-oreders are also available like - sprouts - mashed potato - stuffing - colliflower cheese - since we have to order the birds in advance, this offer will close by Wednesday the 12th of November

Individual portions and sandwiches will be avalable via chefsxp from 2 day's before Thanksgiving

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi,

new addition to our menu!

As of tomorrow we offer a Balkan (also very popular in Germany) speciallity - Schaschlik

It's Chunks of Pork Bacon Beef and Onion on a skewer, BBQ'd and covered in a "Gipsy" stile sauce with red and green Bell Peppers - its like a mixed Grill on a scewer - highly delicious and a very good portion too - we will serve it with French Fries

post-30681-1225883579_thumb.png

Schaschlik higjly recommended

Why I am not living in Bangkok :o ...........

But a good idea for cooking it next week at home.

This weekend it's gonna be a "Sauerbraten", marinated already nearly 1 week.

Gerd

Why I am not living in Bangkok :o ...........

But a good idea for cooking it next week at home.

This weekend it's gonna be a "Sauerbraten", marinated already nearly 1 week.

Gerd

hmmmm Sauerbraten . wanted do make that for some time but am not sure how this will go down with my British & US custmers .... hope you are making the "Rheinische" variation with Raisons? :D

The Schaschlik did well at the Bistro yesterday but for some technical reason chefsxp didn't manage to get it includet in their menu yet... should be ok by tomorrow. Was planning to open today but the new staff isn't really ready yet, however from now on, we will open Sunday's starting next Sunday.

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Are you open on Sundays? I just tried to order via chefsxp after 11pm (wanted to try out your pasties) and it says CLOSED... but your time says open at 10.30...

Hi,

that's the opening time tomorrow am .... the new staff wasn't ready yet and needs a few more day's training, sorry about that but I decided to open on Sunday's from next Sunday on rather than have things go wrong today,

John

The Breast is of course NOT deepfried, but rapped in bacon and roasted and will also be available in individual portions - the Bacon serves 2 purposses - to keep the meat moist and to add flavor after the breasts are done, the Bacon is removed and the skin crisped up - the bacon is also supplied seperate though

John

I am lookintg forward to that. I will come to the cafe to eat it fresh & hot. See you then.

John

I am lookintg forward to that. I will come to the cafe to eat it fresh & hot. See you then.

Hi,

will be available next week .. so will be the mother of all Turkey sandwiches with special walnut bread and the xmas bread or thanksgiving bread with walnuts etc..

For those up-country or in Bangkok, I'm adding to our on-line shop a "retail" section, where anyone in Thailand can order Rye Bread - Roggenbrot - German Raison bread (Platz) and other items which will not be affected by transportation via EMS - to check it out click here you will also find our special for Christmas there -

post-30681-1226330713_thumb.jpg :opost-30681-1226330968_thumb.png

Edited by JohnBKKK

The fantastic sausages and meatloaf provided by The Eurogourmet for the Thaivisa Anniversary party certainly didn't last long.

Rave reviews all around from the members who ate and drank for free, courtesy of our great sponsors like The Eurogourmet.

You can read all about the party and food here

Thank you Eurogourmet!

Hi Buckwheat,

thank you very much for your kind e-mail, always a pleasure to hear members enjoyed our products,

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Just a brief reminder, Thanksgiving is in two weeks tomorrow and today is the last chance to order your Thanksgiving Turkey here - click onto "Especially for the Season" to get to the Turkey - Bangkok delivery only - delivery charge is B 60.00 direct from our main kitchen to your home or office just in time for your Thanksgiving lunch or dinner or party - all traditional condements are also available to order

John

post-30681-1226850874_thumb.png

Edited by JohnBKKK

Just a brief reminder, Thanksgiving is in a week tomorrow and today is the last chance to order your Thanksgiving Turkey here - click onto "Especially for the Season" to get to the Turkey - Bangkok delivery only - delivery charge is B 60.00 direct from our main kitchen to your home or office just in time for your Thanksgiving lunch or dinner or party - all traditional condements are also available to order

John

In a week?

I think you mean in 2 weeks? :o

Nov. 27

Hi John:

Other than Villa 33, can I get your sausages at other locations in the city?

Thanks

James

Hi James, not at the moment ... what's holding it back is qualified staff or the lack of it ... the only one the mall managed to come up wiith so far was neither boy nor girl ..but a bit of both . ehem.. not the right image I think .. sorry it may be politically incorrect but call me old fashioned :o

John

Edited by JohnBKKK