Transportation Paralysed By Floods In Northeast

george

Transportation paralysed by floods in northeast

KHON KAEN: -- Heavy rains and floods nearly paralysed transportation in the Northeast yesterday, as a section of Khon Kaen railway was washed out, halting eight Bangkokbound trains, and many parts of Mitraparb Highway were made impassable.

Sakkarin Saengarun, chief of Muang Khon Kaen's Tha Phra station, said all train services, except to Nakhon Ratchasima, Nong Khai and Udon Thani, had been suspended for passenger safety, but if no more rain fell, repairs should let the services resume this morning.

Highway Police advised motorists to use other routes, as Mitraparb Highway's bridge in Ban Haed was swept away and many parts had only one lane usable, causing heavy traffic congestion.

Tambon Ban Ped mayor Paisal Jittamai threatened to gather 500 signatures to complain to the Administrative Court about Nakhon Khon Kaen Municipality's failure to open the sluice gate, causing severe flooding in Ban Ped.

Nakhon Khon Kaen deputy mayor Theerasak Thikhayupan insisted the gate was not closed but left ajar because if it were fully open, floodwaters would submerge the city.

Many areas in Nakhon Ratchasima town were submerged. Thousands of families in Benjarong, Thao Sura, Nong Pleu and Nong Sano suffered waters that were 80-100cm deep. Some 300 families of alreadyflooded Tambon Nong Bua Sala were dealt a second blow by Wednesday's downpours, causing flood levels to rise to 1.50 metres. Officials dispatched seven boats to assist them. Lam Phra Phloeng Dam in Pak Thong Chai district was near full capacity.

In Phitsanulok, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn saw to it that 1,500 relief kits were delivered to residents in Wang Thong, Muang and Noen Maprang district.

In Lop Buri, some residents, hundreds of whom suffered waterborne diseases, were so fed up that they put up a sign saying they would stop payฌing taxes, as their plight had been ignored by the authorities.

-- The Nation 2008-09-20

---

Trains to Northeast suspended as more flooding forecast

Due to heavy flooding, train services to many destinations in the Northeast have been suspended indefinitely and people are advised to call the 1690 hotline to check which routes are still open.

As of press time, Udon Thani and Nong Khai were not accessible by trains.

"We are repairing the tracks where possible," the State Railway of Thailand's public relations chief Pairach Rojjaroen-ngarm said yesterday.

At present, flooding has wreaked havoc in many parts of the country, with a low-pressure ridge hovering over the lower North, upper Central and lower Northeast regions. The Meteorological Department has forecast more downpours in many provinces.

People living in the flooding-prone areas of Sukhothai, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Nakhon Sawan, Saraburi, Lop Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat have been warned of flash floods.

Many of these provinces are already reeling from damages caused by inundation.

Several villages in Chaiyaphum are submerged in metre-high floods and at least four schools have been closed due to inundation.

In Phitsanulok, two men were swept away early yesterday while they were standing by the banks of the Kwai Noi River. One of the victims was identified as Ngern Thongsuk, a relative of an executive with the UBC Joint Venture, which is constructing a dam in the province. The other victim was identified only as Ball. Rescue workers are still trying to retrieve the bodies.

In Nong Bua Lamphu, the body of a fourth victim, 33-year-old Utai Housewan, was found yesterday afternoon.

In Maha Sarakham, more than 70,000 rai of paddy fields are inundated.

The situation in Lop Buri is critical, with the worst hit areas submerged in up to 1.7 metres of water.

HRH Princess Srirasmi and HRH Princess Somsavali had their representatives distribute food and relief items to victims in Lop Buri yesterday.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is on alert as concerns that upriver run-offs may flood the capital.

"Directors of riverside district offices are instructed to be prepared," Bangkok city clerk Pongsak Semsant said.

-- The Nation 2008-09-20

Floods hit 36 provinces so far

Floods have caused damaged worth Bt686 million in 36 provinces, caretaker Agriculture Minister Somsak Prissanananthakul said Friday.

He said floods affected 13 northern provinces, 12 northeastern provinces, 4 central provinces, 6 eastern provinces and a southern province.

A total of 724,931 rai of farm land were inundated and a 2.7 million of farm animals were affected.

-- The Nation 2008-09-20

PM inspects flood damage in Ayutthaya

AYUTTHAYA: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat planned to visit Ayutthaya province on Saturday to inspect serious flooding in the province, just above Bangkok.

The overall flood situation in many areas of Ayutthaya, including the four districts of Maha Rat, Pak Hai, Bang Ban and Bang Sai, is still in a critical level. More than 5,000 households have been inundated, and villagers could not use tap water. The provincial authority, however, is delivering more tap water.

On Saturday afternoon, Mr Somchai will inspect the flooding conditions around Siriyalai Palace and Pai Wattanaram Temple, as both sites are situated along the riverbanks of Chao Phraya River.

Nearly 12:00 in Khon Kaen and it hasn't started raining !!! (yet) - in fact its fairly bright for the first time in about a week - don't suppose it will last

It will rain today, look to the colour of the sky above you, all the signs for rain are there.

Update:

Flood death toll rises to 14: official

Fourteen people have been killed so far in floods which have hit 36 provinces during the past nine days, the permanent secretary for Public Health said Saturday.

Prat Boonyawongwiroj, permanent secretary for Public Health, said most of the victims were swept away by flash floods.

He said 53,946 people fell sick because of the flooding during September 11 to 19. He said 35 per cent of them suffered from athlete's foot, 27 per cent from cold, and 15 per cent from diarrhoea.

-- The Nation 2008-09-20

Update:

14 dead as floods continue to ravage Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Fierce floods have continued to hit much of Thailand with 14 persons having died, mostly from drowning while trying to escape, and of 54,000 persons were affected by disease, according to Praj Boonyawongvirot, Permanent Secretary for Public Health, on Saturday.

Dr. Praj said his ministry had in the past nine days dispatched mobile medical units under the patronage of Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn to treat patients in flooded areas. Most of the patients suffered from foot itching, colds and diarrhea, he said.

His comments were made as flash floods continued to hit Thai eastern province of Chachoengsao for over a week. In some areas of the province the floodwater level was measured at 1.5-2 metres, forcing villagers to stay home while rice and cassava crops were destroyed under deep water. Food shortages are now being seen.

Workers from various government offices were pumping water which overflowed from a reservoir.

Mobile medical units from a hospital in Phitsanulok's Wang Thong district were sent to assist more than 200 families who were suffering after a waters rushing down a mountainside inundated their houses.

Medical workers said the villagers were stressed and unable to sleep after the flooding had continued in their village for more than a week.

Relief officials in Phitsanulok said six districts were affected, while six roads, two flood control embankments and over 90,000 rai of crops and farmlands were damaged. About 6,000 families have been affected affected so far.

-- TNA/MCOT 2008-09-20

Encourged to see the ag minister has the livestock count down to 2.7 million. wonder how many voters and family are affected by all of this? OK maybe I am being too cynical.

Not at all sir , the populace is readily replaceable by the prolific Farang who are inundating our honorable country with their filthy money and Western attitudes , well , the animals are another problem , they are similar to the Thai male , slow producers of most things essential , SSSSSSSHHHHHHHH , please do not tell any one i said that , hate to be rerprimanded by the intelligentisimo on the forum , you know , those with the better than thou attitude , hurump .

Wife just called, looks like hiway 2 between Pak Chong and Saraburi is going to be closed all night.

Anyone north of Pak Chong heading south, don't bother, you can't get thru.

sorry to hear that she got stuck...mywife has to go mondaynight from Bung Kan(n-e) to bangkok by bus.i have a mam here but it says highway a-12, is that the highway you talk about? :o

Has anyone heard of any delays on Northern Line trains due to heavy flooding in the Lop Buri area? I'm planning to go from DM to Phichit on the train next week. Should I plan to fly DM to P'lok instead?

The wife is stuck in Pak Chong for 2 hrs now. Hiway 2 between Pak Chong and Saraburi is closed and flooded.

Has it never occured to anyone , that had the government dug all those irrigation ditches they have been so prolific talking about , they could also be used to divert the flood waters to humungous inground resevoirs . When the dry season comes , the water (zillions of litres) could be pumped back to provide sustanence for the shriveling up crops that we often hear farmers need compensation for . Talk is cheap . The local populace , of course , that suffer the consequences of drastic flooding , would never see the monetary and living gains from this , not worth the effort of all that digging . Just open your hand and show the money you are prepared to offer for their services to improve THEIR lives and the queue (line-up) will be many kilometers long .

I have been there and done that , where are all the souls that constantly proffess to love Thailand so much and yet do so little that is of actual consequence ? The time spent on TV by the self expressed filthy rich and highly intelectuals that do little to help the country come out of the cess pit it is , just do as Don Quixote and flail at windmills of little to no consequence , get off your derriers and PROVE a point to the Thai in general , do something POSITIVE for a change that will actualy IMPROVE this country for the impoverished that you proclaim the government wants to keep the impoverished , they would likely be clamouring for easement on visas and retirement etc .

The gauntlet is down , who will stand up like the man he proffesses to be and accept a worthwhile challenge ?

The wife is stuck in Pak Chong for 2 hrs now. Hiway 2 between Pak Chong and Saraburi is closed and flooded.

ichecked different map, its the highway from norteast.... :o

please update me on the stuation and any dea when traffic can go through again?

She said the police told her at least 24 hrs before road would be opened, but if it's flooded for a long stretch, I would guess many days to drain off, depending on more rain.

She went back home to Chaiyaphum, will try Chai Badan tomorrow.

She also sid the police told her the roads south of hiway 2, thru the Kao Yai area area also closed.

Encourged to see the ag minister has the livestock count down to 2.7 million. wonder how many voters and family are affected by all of this? OK maybe I am being too cynical.

Not at all sir , the populace is readily replaceable by the prolific Farang who are inundating our honorable country with their filthy money and Western attitudes , well , the animals are another problem , they are similar to the Thai male , slow producers of most things essential , SSSSSSSHHHHHHHH , please do not tell any one i said that , hate to be rerprimanded by the intelligentisimo on the forum , you know , those with the better than thou attitude , hurump .

You just escape with Jack (Nicholson "one flew over the cuckoo's nest") ??? People are dying and you post such absolute drivel. It's no wonder that Thai's have such a dislike for people of your ilk. :o

Edited by john b good

You just escape with Jack (Nicholson "one flew over the cuckoo's nest") ??? People are dying and you post such absolute drivel. It's no wonder that Thai's have such a dislike for people of your ilk. :o

You actualy believe in the confines of your tiny mind that to make a suggestion of a way to actualy help people instead of denigrating them is a load of drivel ? I was loved and appreciated by Thais in a northern village where i achieved on a smaller scale what i consider to be a worthwhile project , at the cost of my personal donation .

Please read my other post before you blatantly condem .

johnbgood , what pray tell me have you personaly achieved for the good of the Thai people

The post you responded to is a reflection of what previous posters on this forum have said or infered , also somewhat in line to the post i responded to , "Maybe i am being too cynical " , please lighten up and enjoy the vagaries of life a little .

Yes, folks it goes without saying this has been a very active rainy season so far; one of the most active I have seen during my 16 years plus in LOS. Thank my luck stars and a little planning I don't live in a Flood prone area. I wouldn't care much for the snakes, rats and other creatures that would be seeking dry ground in my area. :D:o

Edited by BigSnake

Dear Thai Citizen, It is very easy to blame falang for everything, including floods, but you should take a look in the mirror. It is your country, your people, your leaders, you are to blame for the state of the country. You who took Shinawatra's money to vote for him, you who don't build irrigation projects and reservoirs for use in the dry season, you who do nothing but try to blame others. Get your kee together and put your country in order. It starts one person at a time. Get moving, no one will do anything for you. Organize your village, sub-district, district, and province and get to work. The options are few. You can attempt to put the blame on others but you are to blame. Complaining will get you nothing. I've been married to a Thai woman for 25 years, my daughter attends Harvard University on a financial aid{I have no money, she worked to earn it}, My son just began at Brandeis University, all in the US, on full financial aid, because they worked hard for it and earned it. They did not complain and ask others to to everything for them. They will come back to Thailand and work to help their country. What will you do? Keep blaming someone else. There are good falangs and bad ones, the are good Thai people and bad ones. People everywhere are the same. There are many people in the US loosing their homes, jobs, dignity. You think you are unique. There is only 2% of the people in this world with money, and until someone changes that everyone is screwed.

Dear Thai Citizen, It is very easy to blame falang for everything, including floods, but you should take a look in the mirror. It is your country, your people, your leaders, you are to blame for the state of the country. You who took Shinawatra's money to vote for him, you who don't build irrigation projects and reservoirs for use in the dry season, you who do nothing but try to blame others. Get your kee together and put your country in order. It starts one person at a time. Get moving, no one will do anything for you. Organize your village, sub-district, district, and province and get to work. The options are few. You can attempt to put the blame on others but you are to blame. Complaining will get you nothing. I've been married to a Thai woman for 25 years, my daughter attends Harvard University on a financial aid{I have no money, she worked to earn it}, My son just began at Brandeis University, all in the US, on full financial aid, because they worked hard for it and earned it. They did not complain and ask others to to everything for them. They will come back to Thailand and work to help their country. What will you do? Keep blaming someone else. There are good falangs and bad ones, the are good Thai people and bad ones. People everywhere are the same. There are many people in the US loosing their homes, jobs, dignity. You think you are unique. There is only 2% of the people in this world with money, and until someone changes that everyone is screwed.

Welcome OILMAN13

Trains closed. Ever been on one?......................lets hope they never open again!

Roads closed, Ever driven on one?.....................maybe thay will build some good ones now!

We, farangs have sooooooooooooo much money...its easy...we just buy boats.

As for Thais, just make the stilts on the houses taller, they won't beable to go to work, but I never meet a thai who wanted to.

whats the problem?

Trains closed. Ever been on one?......................lets hope they never open again!

Roads closed, Ever driven on one?.....................maybe thay will build some good ones now!

As for Thais, just make the stilts on the houses taller, they won't beable to go to work, but I never meet a thai who wanted to.

whats the problem

You actualy believe in the confines of your tiny mind that to make a suggestion of a way to actualy help people instead of denigrating them is a load of drivel ? I was loved and appreciated by Thais in a northern village where i achieved on a smaller scale what i consider to be a worthwhile project , at the cost of my personal donation .

Please read my other post before you blatantly condem .

johnbgood , what pray tell me have you personaly achieved for the good of the Thai people

The post you responded to is a reflection of what previous posters on this forum have said or infered , also somewhat in line to the post i responded to , "Maybe i am being too cynical " , please lighten up and enjoy the vagaries of life a little .

Yes you was loved there and blablaisme indeed. The only thing that makes you loved is youre so called donation. Thats something everybodies tiny mind here can accept as a fact.

Don't flatter youreself so much with you so called intellect. Ive heard to so called old farts here telling me the same story over and over again. Like a war veteran the tell you how many thai friends the have and how much the spend in thailand.

Cash is friends, true friends is RARE..goes for every country.Speaking of intellect do something about that amazing spelling of yours :S

Not that mine is all that tho, but yet again you will not see me putting a feather up my ass, about my intellect.

And to stick ontopic, rain is coming, it's sad that ppl gave there live..nothing more to say about that actually. :D

ichecked different map, its the highway from norteast.... :o

please update me on the stuation and any dea when traffic can go through again?

She said the police told her at least 24 hrs before road would be opened, but if it's flooded for a long stretch, I would guess many days to drain off, depending on more rain.

She went back home to Chaiyaphum, will try Chai Badan tomorrow.

She also sid the police told her the roads south of hiway 2, thru the Kao Yai area area also closed.

thank you for the update, wish yours have more luck tomorrow and mine on monday...

As for Thais, just make the stilts on the houses taller, they won't beable to go to work, but I never meet a thai who wanted to. whats the problem?

Re Roads: Have YOU ever driven on one ? I have driven all over Thailand and have found the roads to be excellant. Every bit as good as most of those in Europe and the US, and wider than some of the scenic English country roads. And they were almost as good 45 years ago when I first visited Thailand.

As for Thais, just make the stilts on the houses taller, they won't beable to go to work, but I never meet a thai who wanted to. whats the problem?

Re Roads: Have YOU ever driven on one ? I have driven all over Thailand and have found the roads to be excellant. Every bit as good as most of those in Europe and the US, and wider than some of the scenic English country roads. And they were almost as good 45 years ago when I first visited Thailand.

I agree roads in Thailand are excellent I have driven alot between Loei and Udon Thani and found the roads as good as many roads in Australia

Get off the main roads that is a differant storys pot holes you can lose atruck in

Could any one tell me iff Loei is safe from the flooding my wife is there at the moment and I am due there in about three weeks