'goy' In Thai Language

designersing

bit of a strange one this, we were chatting to my wifes mother talking about nicknames/ names in thai for my wifes soon to be born baby, she mentioned some names and then joked nong goy, I asked jokingly what it meant and felt like the joke was on me! (yes I should take time to understand thai language better!) any of you fellas with thai wifes who can ask what 'goy' or 'gouy' means, I have looked it up in my dictionary and online but found nothing, anyone who knows what it can mean, if anything..... :o

ta in advance for any feedback! :D

Depending on how it's pronounced,** "Goy" is a vulgar name for penis. Therein lies the joke--and yes, the joke was on you.

The girls' nickname is close enough to produce a lot of double-entendre jokes (actually triple-entendre jokes, if you include the "little finger" imagery).

**Here's how to differentiate the sound:

Girls' nickname: "gaw-wy" -- sounds like two syllables; (over-emphasize what looks like the diphthong--for you linguists)

Vulgarism: "goi" just like it looks; one syllable (under-emphasize the diphthong)

I'm sure there are some tone variations as well, but getting the syllables/diphthongs correct will steer you away from unintended slips of the tongue.

Edited by toptuan

Depending on how it's pronounced,** "Goy" is a vulgar name for penis. Therein lies the joke--and yes, the joke was on you.

The girls' nickname is close enough to produce a lot of double-entendre jokes (actually triple-entendre jokes, if you include the "little finger" imagery).

**Here's how to differentiate the sound:

Girls' nickname: "gaw-wy" -- sounds like two syllables; (over-emphasize what looks like the diphthong--for you linguists)

Vulgarism: "goi" just like it looks; one syllable (under-emphasize the diphthong)

I'm sure there are some tone variations as well, but getting the syllables/diphthongs correct will steer you away from unintended slips of the tongue.

hmmmm, yeah I was kinda hoping it wasnt vulgar! Oh well, I guess the baa nork mother in law has done it again! I wouldnt really expect anything intelligent to come from her mouth anyway! Thanks for the insight! :o

DSG

:

Girls nickname ก้อย (gaawyF)

Penis คอย (kaawyM)

These two words have different initial consonants and different tones also. The vowel sound is the same.

I don't see how these words can be confused.

:

Girls nickname ก้อย (gaawyF)

Penis คอย (kaawyM)

These two words have different initial consonants and different tones also. The vowel sound is the same.

I don't see how these words can be confused.

Thanks for the added insight. It really gets tricky when many girls actually spell their nicknames "Koy," in English, thus confusing the spelling of the "G" and "K" initial sounds.

Agree with Rikker: "kuay (M)" and "gawy (F)" do not sound alike at all.

5tash: it seems you've got a typo, which comes out as the verb "to wait," not the colloquial word for "penis."

designersing: shouldn't jump to conclusions and ridicule the woman, if you can't even understand her language.