Native Speakers To Help Verify English

If you are an English native speaker and want to earn more income helping Thai translators understand and write English correctly, please email me at [email protected] or my phone number is 01-0146208. All you need is an Internet connection and a telephone (02-number will be very beneficial). Working hours are very flexible and can be arranged to suit your schedule.

She is starting an editing/translating service and promoting it through a website. She says she needs farangs to "help the Thai translator understand English better" To me, it sounds like a typical final editing job....

She said the farang would be paid a percentage of the job, but she hasn't decided how much to price the jobs, or what percentage the farang gets...

A mobile number is quite commonly used in business here. No red flags up on my end, but it seems like a first start for someone with an idea..... Buyer Beware, as always :o

I just received this email from her..

Here is more information about my translation website. The website will provide translation service to customers on the Internet that can be physically anywhere in the world. This is a fully web-base service where customers can request, discuss with us (on our live chat), and make payment and get translation all online. Offline payment is also an option and snail mail to get translation can also be possible. The services we offer are documents, email, web localisation, book translation, and some more. I will let you know the URL when my website is up.

Kind regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Anyway, it seems there is a ways to go before anything fruitful is likely to happen...

I've got similar information and I think (I'll check at some point) she did give me some idea of the % you can expect. But like I say it's a bit annoying to offer a job, and then say you're 'too busy' when people that are interested contact you! So I'd like more concrete info (i.e. the actual URL etc.) before trying to help!

Dr Pat Pong.

Indeed numbers beginning 01 are mobile numbers. I am implying it is risky to do business with someone who does not give a fixed line number or adress

Yes there is an acute shortage of land line numbers and many Thai rely on mobiles.

OK, you lose nothing by responding to the e-mail.

I suggest this could be a homeworking scam common in the west. You do the work and receive no money.

Dr Pat Pong.

Indeed numbers beginning 01 are mobile numbers. I am implying it is risky to do business with someone who does not give a fixed line number or adress.

It's risky to do business with anyone here, but using a mobile phone ain't much of a clue, it seems to me.

Yes there is an acute shortage of land line numbers

In fact, that used to be the case, but not really anymore. Places that used to have to wait months now usually only wait days, or weeks...Because of the huge shift to mobiles, demand for fixed lines is waaay down

many Thai rely on mobiles.

Because of its convenience and cheaper cost, that's why

Buyer Beware, as always :o

OK everyone, the website will be up this month or the early of next month. This is definitely not a working from home scam. Yes, you can work from home or anywhere you have an internet connection and you will always get paid for all your work. It's no way I will ask anyone to work for free and it's no way I will run a scam. All I need from you here is English verification. The phone number is valid and definitely mine. I can also give u my land line number but in business mobile phone is more practical.

Dear kenkannif,

Yes, we had been in touch before. At that time, I could not go on with my plan and now I'm working on it.

Phone lines easy to obtain. Yeah, right. Maybe in the main farang ares of habitation.

Try telling that to the residents on the road whereI live (a major city).

2 houses are occupied by policemen who hve been waiting since I've known them. 2 YEARS.

I got one in 2 weeks but thats another story.

Mobiles cheaper??????? We'll have to disagree on that.

Phone lines easy to obtain. Yeah, right. Maybe in the main farang ares of habitation.

2 houses are occupied by policemen who hve been waiting since I've known them. 2 YEARS.

Mobiles cheaper???????  We'll have to disagree on that.

Well I applied for my residential lines for the house in Surin and Suphan about 3 months ago.

Surin - forget it, at least until 50 more people want a telephone - nearest fixed line 25 km away.

Suphan, well I have another 3 months to wait - not enough numbers. I know that no-one can get a new fixed line here at the moment, we are all waiting on disconnections, wait, and get an old line/number.

If you read the press, they are still negotiating the contracts to do the roll-out of new numbers.

Ok, My Tha Pra office was easier, but I had to pay another factory to take an unused line from them.

OK everyone, the website will be up this month or the early of next month. This is definitely not a working from home scam. Yes, you can work from home or anywhere you have an internet connection and you will always get paid for all your work. It's no way I will ask anyone to work for free and it's no way I will run a scam. All I need from you here is English verification. The phone number is valid and definitely mine. I can also give u my land line number but in business mobile phone is more practical.

If you suspect that I might run a scam here, I think we should meet in person. You may need to sign a confidentiality agreement to protect my customers’ information. If meeting in person is not possible, you may choose to not do any business with me. I’m not going to ask you to pay any money or send me anything.

Dear kenkannif,

Yes, we had been in touch before. At that time, I could not go on with my plan and now I'm working on it.

OK everyone, the website will be up this month or the early of next month.  This is definitely not a working from home scam.  Yes, you can work from home or anywhere you have an internet connection and you will always get paid for all your work.  It's no way I will ask anyone to work for free and it's no way I will run a scam.  All I need from you here is English verification.  The phone number is valid and definitely mine.  I can also give u my land line number but in business mobile phone is more practical.

Dear kenkannif,

Yes, we had been in touch before.  At that time, I could not go on with my plan and now I'm working on it.

Not here you aren't. Seeya

Mobiles cheaper???????  We'll have to disagree on that.

Well I applied for my residential lines for the house in Surin and Suphan about 3 months ago.

Surin - forget it, at least until 50 more people want a telephone - nearest fixed line 25 km away.

Suphan, well I have another 3 months to wait - not enough numbers. I know that no-one can get a new fixed line here at the moment, we are all waiting on disconnections, wait, and get an old line/number.

If you read the press, they are still negotiating the contracts to do the roll-out of new numbers.

Ok, My Tha Pra office was easier, but I had to pay another factory to take an unused line from them.

For one example, Orange is one baht per minute, anywhere in the country... Also, with a land line, you'll pay for calls to mobiles, too, right? The only thing cheaper about a landline is if you are calling another landline number in your immediate area (assuming longer than 3.5 minutes)... More and more of a rarity now, it seems. On my 'called' list, there is not one non-handphone number.

As for lines/numbers, I was referring to stories I'd seen fairly recently in the bkk post commenting that, for many(not all!), the shift to mobiles has freed up landlines and made for shorter waiting periods for many. Of course, some areas still have poor infrastructure, including even no electricity...But there's no reasonable reason I can think of for anyone saying there's a shortage of landline numbers, especially since they claim to have solved this problem when they converted the dialing system that forces you now to use the area code even for local calls. All that ever needs to be done is to add a new area code if you want more numbers.... It's been quite common in the States, like New York, the last few years, too.

I think the switch will continue to move to mobiles, and I'm not the only one who sees it that way... Companies like Alvarion are putting together long distance wireless networks for TV, broadband internet, and voip(telephone)- especially for rural areas where there isn't any such service or infrastructure already. Current systems are operating in Europe at prices far cheaper than UBC or even Loxinfo. Look for it in Thailand within 5 years, I feel sure. And if you play the stockmarket, it's a solid 'buy' from all quarters :o