Ten Great Ways To Punish Thai Democracy

sabaijai

Ten great ways to punish Thai democracy

Kavi Chongkittavorn

The Nation (Thailand)

Publication Date: 22-09-2008

1. Recognising 'nominee' as 'normative' politics. New Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has a smiling baby face and an amicably soft and Buddhist touch that has already won much adulation. He also has populist appeal like his brother-in-law, exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. This was in black-and-white contrast with his predecessor Samak Sundaravej's rude and aggressive manner. As a former judge, Somchai must have a strong sense of right and wrong. Soon the truth will prevail if that is the case. Thaksin's carefully crafted remarks were timed during his brother-in-law's political ascension to show that he is still alive and well, very rich... and poised to come back!

2. Condemning the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) as a fascist group. They are now a community bonded by a strong sense of conviction. As a civil-society group, the PAD is powerful and unique because its members come from all walks of life. This community is indestructible unless its members decide to disband themselves. The PAD has successfully used Makkhawan Bridge as its headquarters for its 'last battle' against the old politics. They are like the heroes of Tha Din Daeng, the famous Siamese stronghold built during the reign of King Rama I in Kanchanaburi at the Thai-Burmese border to stop advancing Burmese troops. A distinction must be made between the PAD's leaders and their supporters, who are more cosmopolitan and forward-looking. The PAD's supporters are a dedicated bunch of people with a high level of volunteer zeal. Without groups like the PAD, Thailand would see 'nominee' politics rule run amok.

3. Demonising members of Parliament for their partisan politics. Like football players who have different skills and footwork, politicians too have different colours and creeds. They play politics professionally, which earns them honour or dishonour and in certain cases lots of money. Just ask the Isaan politicians associated with the 'Friends of Newin' fan club. (Newin Chichob is another majority party member who bidded for PM post but lost.) Look at the way they scored goals and upped their stakes in the new Cabinet. Needless to say, they also serve their constituencies whenever time permits.

4. Branding rural people as stupid and money-can-buy voters. Their votes are more valuable than ever before in bringing anyone from obscurity--look at Samak's brief stint as prime minister. Their political empowerment has been awoken by precision-targeted incentive-packages by populist politicians with quick access to extra funds, loans, scholarships and mobile phones.

5. Chastising the Thai military for taking a rare attitude of non-interference in civilian affairs. Some say that is intervention by non-intervention, a new political manoeuvre. The armed forces generals have a notorious track record of 18 coups since, making Thailand one of the world's most unpredictable places politically. Under general Anupong Paochinda, the Thai military has disappointed all political pundits near and far, not to mention the PAD, by not using force. Despite a constant chorus calling for them to intervene politically, the military no longer sees itself as a panacea, thanks to the great job done by its 2006 coup de grace.

6. Belittling Thai judges and painting them as the most corrupt officials. Every time the country is in crisis, judges, regardless of which court they belong to, come under the public microscope. These days, they are expected to perform wonders by putting all the bad guys in jail. But in regular times, they are accused of taking money under the table and listening to the power-wielders above them, ignoring the basic rules of the administration of justice.

7. Shamelessly blaming the media for being biased. Thai media are not monolithic and they are relatively free to write and free to think. They are the watchdogs in society, but without others to watch over them from time to time, they--especially a dozen or so "sucker" columnists in vernacular papers--become mad dogs who unleash their fangs and bite politicians as if tomorrow will never come. New trends are emerging with online media taking the traditional media head-on. More diverse and absurd views are becoming commonplace.

8. Brainwashing by TV news programmes and their commentators. Those who prefer government-bashing views can watch ASTV to their heart's delight without being bothered by advertising. Those who prefer pro-government euphoria can turn to NBT--its alleged acronym: National Baloney of Thailand. For all other terrestrial channels, just pick one. Watchers at home will absolutely not miss anything because they have quite similar programmes and content. Thailand is the only country in the world where daily news reports must be read in an overly colourful manner by an ever younger group of sportily dressed newscasters. They put Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show" to shame.

9. Adopting the political systems of our Asean neighbours, which enjoy unprecedented political stability and certainty. Thailand is too unpredictable, which is bad for business and foreign investors, who prefer stability to a half-baked democracy. Viet Nam and Singapore are the darlings of foreign investors these days. Their political models have been cited as examples of political stability. Investors have poured lots of money into these countries. The Thai people must give their own version of democracy a chance; this is a defining moment in the country's political history. If we survive the political mishaps this time, Thai democracy will make headlines around the world one more time. Like Thai food, Thai democracy will be spicier than ever.

10. Revealing the most important national secret of an elected prime minister a la Thai. Truth be told, even billionaire Thaksin, who has all the money and succeeded in buying virtually everything under the sun, still could not buy one particular item until he was an elected prime minister of the Land of Smiles and Perpetual Political Crisis. Ask former prime minister Samak Sundaravej about his dark secret, if he ever tells you the truth. The exiled leader still misses state banquets given by the countries he visited during his reign of his power.

You're kidding, right? The PAD finally made their undemocratic views official today by announcing that the House of "Representatives" should be made up of elected officials from constituents and those "elected from various professions" (posted on both Thai Visa and Bangkokpost.com). Sounds a lot more like "appointed" to me.

And comparing democracy to Vietnam? :o That's got to be a first to me!

[tons of text deleted]

not only is this not 'news'- it's not very interesting- much better op ed pieces have been written- by grown-ups- from both sides of the divide.

I wonder when people on this forum will learn how to quote in a sensual manner :o

Edited by hkt83100

Exactly...that you have to be a member of a party to being able to be voted in as a 'representative' of the people is pure fascism to me..elected officials..Feudal that is NOT democracy..the PAD leaders are now convening to amend thier 70/30 'democratic (NOT) voting system, they're just in it for the same reason as the rest..for their own family pockets and face

You're kidding, right? The PAD finally made their undemocratic views official today by announcing that the House of "Representatives" should be made up of elected officials from constituents and those "elected from various professions" (posted on both Thai Visa and Bangkokpost.com). Sounds a lot more like "appointed" to me.

And comparing democracy to Vietnam? :o That's got to be a first to me!

Was this written by a pre-schooler?? A trying attempt to put PAD in a positive light. ASS-TV (The most biased news on the planet) I think the Nazi party had a more open media outlet then Sondhi's Propaganda machine.) At least the government stations NBT have some constructive critism of the government. Oh well. It would make good reading to the PAD flock of sheep at government house.

Baa Baa

Edited by Los78

I wonder when people on this forum will learn how to quote in a sensual manner :o

Like the sensuality displayed by your rabbit?

Sorry, I know what you mean but I just couldn't resist commenting on the use of the word sensual alongside your avatar. :D

A rather confused piece.

Total crap springs to mind.

Glad I'm not the only one with this train of thought.

btw MarchHare, I personally think a comparison between Thai democracy and that of Viet Nam isn't so far wide of the mark. Now that TRT/PPP/whatever their name will be have learnt how to manipulate the voters you may as well have a single party state.

Kavi Chongkittavorn

The Nation (Thailand)

Publication Date: 22-09-2008

2. Condemning the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) as a fascist group. They are now a community bonded by a strong sense of conviction. As a civil-society group, the PAD is powerful and unique because its members come from all walks of life. This community is indestructible unless its members decide to disband themselves. The PAD has successfully used Makkhawan Bridge as its headquarters for its 'last battle' against the old politics. They are like the heroes of Tha Din Daeng, the famous Siamese stronghold built during the reign of King Rama I in Kanchanaburi at the Thai-Burmese border to stop advancing Burmese troops. A distinction must be made between the PAD's leaders and their supporters, who are more cosmopolitan and forward-looking. The PAD's supporters are a dedicated bunch of people with a high level of volunteer zeal. Without groups like the PAD, Thailand would see 'nominee' politics rule run amok.

Perhaps a 'pearl of wisdom' amongst the 'crap' ? Isn't positive for democracy when normal people take the trouble to show an interest, in a peaceful way, rather than letting the poo-yais of either main party have things all their own way ? Or is Thai democracy supposed to be born 'ready-made' and complete ?

4. Branding rural people as stupid and money-can-buy voters.

5. Chastising the Thai military for taking a rare attitude of non-interference in civilian affairs.

I would also agree with the writer, that it is damaging to Thai democracy, to brand those rural people in the North & North-East as stupid. They may be uneducated, despite several years of glorious TRT-government, but that can be changed, if there is a will to do it.

And isn't it good to see the military refusing thus far to revert to their bad old interventionist ways ? If they feel that a political solution is needed, to the current rift in Thai society, and that they should only step in if necessary to prevent street-disorder, then isn't that limited progress, rather than "a pile of crap" ?

Perhaps a 'pearl of wisdom' amongst the 'crap' ? Isn't positive for democracy when normal people take the trouble to show an interest, in a peaceful way, rather than letting the poo-yais of either main party have things all their own way ? Or is Thai democracy supposed to be born 'ready-made' and complete ?

You actually believe PAD is a spontaneous movement. I dare say there are the usual elite mob behind them pulling the strings. Mind you, wonder who got the franchise for the clappy hand things? :o

I would also agree with the writer, that it is damaging to Thai democracy, to brand those rural people in the North & North-East as stupid. They may be uneducated, despite several years of glorious TRT-government, but that can be changed, if there is a will to do it.

I think it was a bit more than TRT that educated the people up there, numerous governments seem to like the education system just the way it is.

And isn't it good to see the military refusing thus far to revert to their bad old interventionist ways ? If they feel that a political solution is needed, to the current rift in Thai society, and that they should only step in if necessary to prevent street-disorder, then isn't that limited progress, rather than "a pile of crap" ?

The above comment is one of the more bizarre things I have read lately.

And finally agree it is sad what rubbish actually gets printed in newspapers.

It's funny that something, even biased, that gets printed gets heavily flamed by the PAD-hater/PPP-lovers but blog-posts by nobody's gets linked and sent around like it's gospel. With no understanding that the writing isn't an objective setup of the situation.

Not saying the article is great, but some of you above wouldn't even be allowed to run a neighborhood watch group.

Edited by TAWP

I am very sad the last weeks to see so many users of Thaivisa to embrace fascism. :o

Think again before writing

Cheers

Yes it is sad isnt it. To fall for such a looney PAD appointed system were only 30 % of peoples voice is heard. Disgusting. They have been brainwashed by a hatefilled failed business men Sondhi and his ex-general chums. Dont worry there are plenty of people that dont support these fascist fanatics.

I am very sad the last weeks to see so many users of Thaivisa to embrace fascism. :D

Think again before writing

Cheers

Yes it is sad isnt it. To fall for such a looney PAD appointed system were only 30 % of peoples voice is heard. Disgusting. They have been brainwashed by a hatefilled failed business men Sondhi and his ex-general chums. Dont worry there are plenty of people that dont support these fascist fanatics.

looney disgusting brainwashed hatefilled fascist-fanatics

But what about their bad points ? :o

It's funny that something, even biased, that gets printed gets heavily flamed by the PAD-hater/PPP-lovers but blog-posts by nobody's gets linked and sent around like it's gospel. With no understanding that the writing isn't an objective setup of the situation.

Not saying the article is great, but some of you above wouldn't even be allowed to run a neighborhood watch group.

HATE, that is for sure the PAD cult mission. just listen how a "GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!" chant feels like.

anyway PAD cult critique doesn't make someone to a ppp-lover. PAD cult critics came from all walks of life.

self declared Blockwarts are the worst elements you can find in neighborhood watch groups.

and yup, what does that article in the news section?

HATE, that is for sure the PAD cult mission. just listen how a "GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!" chant feels like.

anyway PAD cult critique doesn't make someone to a ppp-lover. PAD cult critics came from all walks of life.

self declared Blockwarts are the worst elements you can find in neighborhood watch groups.

and yup, what does that article in the news section?

Isn't it amazing that ANYTHING attributed to PAD, no matter how badly presented by

a hack writer INTERPRETING it for his vision, is taken for Gospel PAD statements

and then used as fodder for anti PAD mania production.

I see a badly written piece that is a load of <deleted>,

but is labled exactly from PAD to suit an agenda.

More <deleted>, but bigger.

Edited by animatic

No disrespect intended (though it will doubtless be taken that way), but people that talk about 'feudalism' in Thailand are in need of a bit more exposure to Thai culture. This is not medieval Europe. It's not as complicated as some people like to imagine. The motivations are quite base, actually.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". (Or perhaps, greed!).

Item No. 5:

Even though the reason for the military's decision not to intervene was attributable to the generals' support for PAD, I am not going to lament that decision. It raised the bar for future military interventions.

The dispute is a civil matter best handled by the civilian authorities through the police. If the police are unable to deal with the situation then it speaks to the lack of training, discipline, integrity and quality of the police. The elected officials have the authority and the power to do something about it. :o Military training is intended for killing and subjugation (pacification if you are PC). The police are there to maintain order and to keep the peace. Perhaps that could be the mission for the police instead of Bribery, Incompetence and Bufoonery.

It is not the best written article in Thailand this year about politics, but it surely beats the drivel that most of us farang on ThaiVisa have come up with, especially our newest members who rail so quickly against a long editorial. I thought the writer made several good points, although not all ten were brilliant. Nonintervention by the military, the demonization of the PAD, appointment of a brother-in-law as a substitute - several good points.

I have numerous Thai friends in the USA.....a group of 20 just returned from Bangkok, after having paid for their travel to Thailand to join the protest with PAD. They also made cash donations to PAD, and took along donations from others of us that did not have the time to travel with our friends. My wife bears the scars of the 92 protest, and donated to the PAD this time.

I see so much drivel on this forum about "THAI DEMOCRACY" I could puke....

The fact is that what is in place now has not worked in the past 60 years in Thailand, and maybe a new approach is needed. Nothing will last forever, and it if leads to abuses, it will be overthrown by popular demand, just as Pojaman and Thaskin were removed from their places of corruption.

For those that try to applaud the past, and support the current corrupt PPP(soon to be banned like Thai Rak Thai), consider even the leading democracy in the world (The USA) does not allow it's leader to be elected by the people, rather they go through the motions of expressing the preference they have, then when that vote is recorded, the politicians in each state appoint members to the electoral college, and they go to elect the president.

There is only precedent and tradition that binds them to vote in any given way. Some state have decided if a candidate wins by even a vote, then the entire state delegation "should" vote for the winner, other are proportional. In any case it guarantees the 2 major parties that never some rough maverick would ever be allowed to win. There is no law or penalty for not following the wishes of the electorate.

For years, England had it's House of Lords, by heredity , now changed somewhat, but still not elected by popular vote of the people.

Many other people follow different paths. I sometimes wonder here in the USA if I would not be much better if the vote was restricted to male land owners? That is how it started. We evolved, but now the majority are demanding the earnings of the people that really make a country prosper.

The only way to pour oil on these troubled waters is to bring Thaskin and his corrupt wife back to stand in front of the court, and have justice served. Only then will it start to temper the rampant corruption that is endemic in Thai culture.

Edited by old wanderer

time:17 sept. 2008 5:30 pm

man walk across the scene, carring a bag. the brownyellow shirts demand to search him. he refused and got a beating. camera man channel 7 filmed the beating. PAD cult guards got aware of cameraman, take plastic tarpaulin to cover the scene and keep on going with the beating.

no, i am not a trt/ppp lover.

I have numerous Thai friends in the USA.....a group of 20 just returned from Bangkok, after having paid for their travel to Thailand to join the protest with PAD. They also made cash donations to PAD, and took along donations from others of us that did not have the time to travel with our friends. My wife bears the scars of the 92 protest, and donated to the PAD this time.

I see so much drivel on this forum about "THAI DEMOCRACY" I could puke....

The fact is that what is in place now has not worked in the past 60 years in Thailand, and maybe a new approach is needed. Nothing will last forever, and it if leads to abuses, it will be overthrown by popular demand, just as Pojaman and Thaskin were removed from their places of corruption.

For those that try to applaud the past, and support the current corrupt PPP(soon to be banned like Thai Rak Thai), consider even the leading democracy in the world (The USA) does not allow it's leader to be elected by the people, rather they go through the motions of expressing the preference they have, then when that vote is recorded, the politicians in each state appoint members to the electoral college, and they go to elect the president.

There is only precedent and tradition that binds them to vote in any given way. Some state have decided if a candidate wins by even a vote, then the entire state delegation "should" vote for the winner, other are proportional. In any case it guarantees the 2 major parties that never some rough maverick would ever be allowed to win. There is no law or penalty for not following the wishes of the electorate.

For years, England had it's House of Lords, by heredity , now changed somewhat, but still not elected by popular vote of the people.

Many other people follow different paths. I sometimes wonder here in the USA if I would not be much better if the vote was restricted to male land owners? That is how it started. We evolved, but now the majority are demanding the earnings of the people that really make a country prosper.

The only way to pour oil on these troubled waters is to bring Thaskin and his corrupt wife back to stand in front of the court, and have justice served. Only then will it start to temper the rampant corruption that is endemic in Thai culture.

I agree with everything....beside that the USA isn't seen as democracy in many countries in Europe and definitely shouldn't be a model for other countries.