How Much Do I Need To Earn To Be Comfortable?

mrpinknz

Yo! are you for real? "I like loud music" WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN WHEN YOU HAVE A NEIGHBOUR EITHER SIDE AND ABOVE AND BELOW?

You sound like and ideal tenant, noisy, a smoker,heavy drinker.................. they'll be queing up for you I should think.

I suppose you have a degree like most I know, but not an ounce of common sense........ you'll fit in just fine here

I do like your English skills by the way, you should be very well suited to teaching Bangkok Engrish........... green?????? OH dear!! :o

i dont understand what's wrong with a little honesty, but one things forsure, your obviously not my age aha. but im not interested in an internet quarrel. heres a bit of honesty for u, u sound as straight as a plank of wood, and as boring as one as well

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yo! are you for real? "I like loud music" WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN WHEN YOU HAVE A NEIGHBOUR EITHER SIDE AND ABOVE AND BELOW?

You sound like and ideal tenant, noisy, a smoker,heavy drinker.................. they'll be queing up for you I should think.

I suppose you have a degree like most I know, but not an ounce of common sense........ you'll fit in just fine here

I do like your English skills by the way, you should be very well suited to teaching Bangkok Engrish........... green?????? OH dear!! :o

i dont understand what's wrong with a little honesty, but one things forsure, your obviously not my age aha. but im not interested in an internet quarrel. heres a bit of honesty for u, u sound as straight as a plank of wood, and as boring as one as well

mmmm, ... You gonna make a lot of friends !

Obviously, you still need to learn, and I am afraid that lessons will be painful. Good luck anyway

Obviously, you still need to learn, and I am afraid that lessons will be painful. Good luck anyway

Thank you. The question that has raised alot of attention (which is laugable) was supposed to be subtle, and to be honest, i thought many of you would understand the nature and fragility of the subject, not to mention the light heartedness of it - but many of u obviously don't. i didnt want it emphasized, what i was looking for was a simple PM. what is clear though is there are many immature instigators in this forum, and not as smart as they like to think. the only people making a big deal out of it are those 'chatting' about it. which concludes this post, this is a forum, not a chat room. do some people a favor and give them the advice theyre seeking rather than waste their time, and yours. I hope to meet some quality and fun people in bangkok, not a bunch of mid-life crisis loosers aha

Edited by mrpinknz

Thank you. The question that has raised alot of attention (which is laugable) was supposed to be subtle, and to be honest, i thought many of you would understand the nature and fragility of the subject, not to mention the light heartedness of it - but many of u obviously don't. i didnt want it emphasized, what i was looking for was a simple PM. what is clear though is there are many immature instigators in this forum, and not as smart as they like to think. the only people making a big deal out of it are those 'chatting' about it. which concludes this post, this is a forum, not a chat room. do some people a favor and give them the advice theyre seeking rather than waste their time, and yours. I hope to meet some quality and fun people in bangkok, not a bunch of wanke_rs.

That is definitely the right attitude to make it big here in Bangkok, non-confrontational and subtle (not). Cannot wait to hear updates on the great life you will have here :o

Women will be your biggest expence.

Be it Thai or farang!!

yes ,that is where all ages are equal in thailand, we all pay !.even such a hunk as yourself :o ..although you might find a stoned smelly backpacker on khaosan road :D

ahaha man it takes one to pay and another to admit it, where i come from though ma man people arnt proud of it ahaa. dont worry bout me though bro ill manage.

Thank you. The question that has raised alot of attention (which is laugable) was supposed to be subtle, and to be honest, i thought many of you would understand the nature and fragility of the subject, not to mention the light heartedness of it - but many of u obviously don't. i didnt want it emphasized, what i was looking for was a simple PM. what is clear though is there are many immature instigators in this forum, and not as smart as they like to think. the only people making a big deal out of it are those 'chatting' about it. which concludes this post, this is a forum, not a chat room. do some people a favor and give them the advice theyre seeking rather than waste their time, and yours. I hope to meet some quality and fun people in bangkok, not a bunch of mid-life crisis loosers aha

Not once did I resort to name calling. You jumped to it (twice now if I recall)... it shows that you are immature and/or have a huge chip on your shoulder.

But to put the topic back on track, let me recite some of your questions that you have concerning coming to Thailand (Bangkok) to teach English:

- cost of booze

- cost of cigarettes

- availability of ganja

- cost of a flat (apartment)

- whether it is acceptable to irritate neighbors with loud music

- etc

I'm sorry; I can't go on.... I'm rolling on the floor with laughter. :o

Hippie type teacher dude

girls actually dig the underachiever look

:o I liked that bit the best.....

Not so sure that the grungy unwashed farang look is really all the rage in BKK right now.. Especially with the type of girls worth meeting.. The Nana plaza types are less fussy about your appearance but tend to be more expensive ...

If you want to make your salary stretch further go for the clean, well scrubbed look and cute regular Thai girls will be all over you like a rash.. Like has been said before many Thai manage to have a great social life on a very small salary. It's about experience and learning where the best venues are.. Leave the overpriced clubs for the HiSo fools with more money than sense.. You can have a great time in local watering holes, bars and nightspots for a fraction of the cost if you know where to go.. Check out the other internet forums for meeting locals and expats alike in BKK..

I was only 20 when I moved to Thailand.. I'm 43 now... still here.. It's great and if you meet the right people it can be a blast..

My salary here is over 100,000baht /month and it is a struggle, fortunately my GF earns almost as much, but we save very little. If you can manage on under 50,000 my hat is off to you.

Wow! What is your type of work? Teaching unfortunatly almost always pays about 30-40 thousand.

As for me I make in the upper end of that range, and do not live in Bangkok, but I find I am always broke, and frequently need money from home to make ends meet or in case of anything unusual beyond rent and normal daily expenses. (of course I spend half my income on you-know-what, but then what would be the point of being in Thailand if you didn't?)

I suspect the original poster will find living on 35K to be a misery, particularly when you consider how hard they make you work for the pittance.

Yo! Im heading over to bangkok in about 2-3 weeks to work for a language school for 12 months. I believe ill be earning around 30-35000 baht to begin with. My question is, is this enough to live? i like having a good time and im keen to stay in a nice pad and live close to the skytrain, as ill be working in the centre. A family friend has offered me a dope studio apartment in central bangkok for 13000 per month, its got a pool gym fully furnished separated wireless net big plasma screen cable and stuff. is this kosha? how much should i be spending on accommodation? how much do beers cost out on the town? how much do dozen packs of beer cost? how much does food cost per day? im not that fussy with food but remember that im white so i need some degree of quality. what does the skytrain cost per month? i like to listen to loud music and play guitar, will this be a problem in an apartment? how much do i need for a good enough night life? and finally how much do ciggies cost? what about green? is it easy to find? any advice or your thoughts and recommendations are totally appreciated. if anyone has similar interests and feels my steeze u may email me privately. thanx to all in advance! oh and if anyone wouldnt mind another tenant in their place let me know! heres a picture of me, and im 24.

:o

The exact answer to your questions depends on what you regard as a "comfortable" life style. I'm not trying to hedge, but you can spend as much as you want in BKK or you can live within your means.

1. A studio for 13,000 baht a month, depending on size, seems reasonable for BKK. Also depends on location. I would be happy to find a place for under 20,000 baht in a good location. So that part seems good.

2. If you learn to eat Thai food, you can live much cheaper than if you insist on European food (western food, if you want to call it that). Believe it or not, some of the best food in BKK can be found from the street vendors stalls....but you may have to pick and choose according to what you like.

3. Night life. You can do it relitively cheaply or you can spend as much as you want. If you feel like buying every girl in the place a "cola" you can end up with a hefty bill. If you find a nice bar with attractive girls, and you sit and talk to one without buying her too many "colas" it shouldn't be too expensive.

4. The skytrain isn't expensive (taxis will cost you more) but if you are in BKK for a long stay, check out the deals on monthly or longer cards you can get for the skytrain. It will save you some money. Also the skytrain doesn't go everywhere, so learn to use the air-conditioned buses and mini-buses. Definately cheaper.

5. Booze and cigarettes...if you are willing to smoke Thai cigarettes (yeah, they are harsh and rough) it should save money. Alchohol...it depends on how much you want to drink. If you find money tight I would cut back on the cigs and the booze.

6. I think you should be able to get along on the 30,000 to 35,000 baht. But if you met a "nice" sweet young thing, and she moves in with you....well all bets are off then.

Good luck.

:D

24 and invincible. I can barely remember the feeling. It'll be a struggle money-wise, but you can have a very good time here. Be careful though, it'll be very tough to talk your way out of things here. Take your time, if that's possible, and you'll find out everything you need to know once you get here.

A young guy like you is fine on that amount for a bit. Thai food can be had really cheap, and even western food is cheap if you buy it at the supermarket. Bottles of whiskey at Thai clubs are cheap (400-600 for say a 750 ml bottle of Spey Royal) and you'll meet plenty of chicks interested in a farang their own age. You should get a cheaper studio if that doesn't include utilities, air con can add thousands per month to your bill. If you're planning on hanging out in expat girly bars you're not gonna have the cash for it though.

24 and invincible. I can barely remember the feeling. It'll be a struggle money-wise, but you can have a very good time here. Be careful though, it'll be very tough to talk your way out of things here. Take your time, if that's possible, and you'll find out everything you need to know once you get here.

If you do come make sure you have parents or someone willing to send you the airfare to get you home. I know it wont happen to you will it.

And dont forget that the 13k for the apartment wont include water or electricity.

Edited by harrry

Your going to struggle living on 17,000 bhat a month after rent in Bangkok if you want a decent lifestyle.

But Toady not many people drink us much as you so your idea off a decent lifestyle may be too much for this young chap :D

:o:D totlanh, you've got me on that one.

If the OP's parents ask what he wants for a farewell gift, I'd be asking for a decent travel insurance package including any risky activities, like diving or trekking, that he might want to do in the holidays. On a teaching salary good quality hospital care in the event of an accident would be out of his means and might mean Mum/Dad getting a frantic phone call for a huge amount of $$$.

My salary here is over 100,000baht /month and it is a struggle, fortunately my GF earns almost as much, but we save very little. If you can manage on under 50,000 my hat is off to you.

Yeah, you'll find it very difficult to exist on much less than 500,000 a month!

13,000 is way too much for a place to stay (especially as you look the kind that won't be at home much). You don't have to live right in the heart of things and it's often worse to do so. Find a place on a transport route a bit out of the "centre" and you can get one for 8,000 easy. The 5,000 you save you can use for food and then the rest you can blow on toys and sweets.

Seriously though, the best money saving tip is to eat only Thai food and forget about McDs and Pizza. You can eat very well for 5-6 K per month.

Also, be aware that the "professional" women here are very "professional" and, forgive me, but you sound a little naive and uneducated and I can hear the sob stories being rehearsed as we speak ("I was going to buy a car and the taxi driver stole all my money. My father will kill me. Boo hoo hoo.")

Thailand is a great place - no matter what anyone says - but you won't last five minutes unless you listen to the people who know and watch your back.

Oh, man .. I can. I had it all working then, low pay but a steady job .. and perks!!!!

Clean air, plenty of exercise. I even worked a deal for free food and free rent! I made less than the OP and put money in the bank, dude!

Everywhere I went I had the ladies agigglin.

Where was this paradise?

Central highlands, class of '64! :o

Can't wait to hear Thai youth around BKK throwing around phrases like "Y'all catz iz wack na, nahmsayin'" and "We gonna kick it at Siam Square jahhh, for shizzle".

Good luck, gangsta.

My bet is that you will be broke before the 10th every month on 30K. Too many temptations...

To the OP:

30,000 baht is do-able. It is certainly more than what most Thais live on, and they have their fun on their salary. But if I were you, I would ditch that 13,000 baht a month studio. Yeah, for central BKK its not too bad. But when you only make 30k, it is a luxury. Do you really need to be there? If it were me, I would check into getting a little scooter or maybe small 150cc motorcycle (this is assuming that you know how to ride), and commuting in. (Check with me in two weeks or so as my bikes may be for sale if I can snag a 400cc bike.) As an FYI, I am in Thonburi, and the farang neighbor (the only one in the mooban) is renting a studio in a high rise building next to my house (met while smoking on the roof and started talking accross the way) for 3,300 baht a month. It is not a bad place; it is near Dusit university and there are alot of cute little coed girls living there (probably why he likes it...that dirty old man! :o PM me if you are interested in knowing where it is. Definately a commute in, but for 10,000 baht a month less may be worth it. 10,000 baht will buy you alot of fun in BKK. Just a thought.

P.S. Drugs are a big no-no here. Avoid using, and if you cannot, be discreet (which means do not post about it on a public forum with your photograph). Go rent a movie called "Brokedown Palace". Also realize that Thailand is one of those countries which has the death penalty for drug trafficking or dealing.

Edited by submaniac

You sound as thick as 3 planks of wood , you come to BKK with your attitude , you are only looking for a problem , BKK is assuradly the place to get it . Take the huge chip off your shoulder and you "MAY' stand a chance , a very small one . Take the advise given by the posters , they LIVE HERE and know something you obviously do not , wish you luck arogant know it all .

Give it a try MrPink, don't listen too much to the old Farangs on Thaivisa, they're just wishing it could have been them.

Many many Farangs come to Thailand when they are retirement age and would have loved to have had the same opportunity when they were 24.

Give it a go mate, you ain't got nothin' to lose at your age, and all the experience to gain. You're young enough to make a right balls up of things, then start all over again.

Whatever happens, I bet you'll never regret it !

Have a ball mate, you're dead a long time. :o

Edited by Maigo6