How Much Do I Need To Earn To Be Comfortable?

mrpinknz

mmmm, ... You gonna make a lot of friends !

Obviously, you still need to learn, and I am afraid that lessons will be painful. Good luck anyway

Thank you. The question that has raised alot of attention (which is laugable) was supposed to be subtle, and to be honest, i thought many of you would understand the nature and fragility of the subject, not to mention the light heartedness of it - but many of u obviously don't. i didnt want it emphasized, what i was looking for was a simple PM. what is clear though is there are many immature instigators in this forum, and not as smart as they like to think. the only people making a big deal out of it are those 'chatting' about it. which concludes this post, this is a forum, not a chat room. do some people a favor and give them the advice theyre seeking rather than waste their time, and yours. I hope to meet some quality and fun people in bangkok, not a bunch of mid-life crisis loosers aha

Not once did I resort to name calling. You jumped to it (twice now if I recall)... it shows that you are immature and/or have a huge chip on your shoulder.

But to put the topic back on track, let me recite some of your questions that you have concerning coming to Thailand (Bangkok) to teach English:

- cost of booze

- cost of cigarettes

- availability of ganja

- cost of a flat (apartment)

- whether it is acceptable to irritate neighbors with loud music

- etc

I'm sorry; I can't go on.... I'm rolling on the floor with laughter. :o

I'm sorry you forgot the question "anyone wanting to share" with him too. Hmmmmmmm no thanks :D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to give the OP a big pat on his shoulder for having the nalls to do what so many people can only dream about. after finishing my studies i left home for mexico when i was 21yrs and since have never looked back, yes the money and security was not that great but hey who cares, the life experience and freedom most definitely was.

it gave the chance to open my eyes, and getting away from the european tax and social bullshit.

now i am thailand and middle east and living the life of reilly...

It was a lotta fun but I'm glad I got over this phase by the time I was 21. It's a fine line between this lifestye and doing nearly the same thing 15+ years later, still renting, with wife + 2 kids and wondering what all you qualify for under the local social security health plan.

:o

i would like to give the OP a big pat on his shoulder for having the nalls to do what so many people can only dream about. after finishing my studies i left home for mexico when i was 21yrs and since have never looked back, yes the money and security was not that great but hey who cares, the life experience and freedom most definitely was.

it gave the chance to open my eyes, and getting away from the european tax and social bullshit.

now i am thailand and middle east and living the life of reilly...

Nice one @ Terminator. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Give it a try MrPink, don't listen too much to the old Farangs on Thaivisa, they're just wishing it could have been them.

Many many Farangs come to Thailand when they are retirement age and would have loved to have had the same opportunity when they were 24.

Give it a go mate, you ain't got nothin' to lose at your age, and all the experience to gain. You're young enough to make a right balls up of things, then start all over again.

Whatever happens, I bet you'll never regret it !

Have a ball mate, you're dead a long time. :o

YOU CANNOT HAVE A BALL ON 30,000 BAHT! unless you live thai style! bangkok no fun with little money!

Give it a try MrPink, don't listen too much to the old Farangs on Thaivisa, they're just wishing it could have been them.

Many many Farangs come to Thailand when they are retirement age and would have loved to have had the same opportunity when they were 24.

Give it a go mate, you ain't got nothin' to lose at your age, and all the experience to gain. You're young enough to make a right balls up of things, then start all over again.

Have a ball mate, you're dead a long time. :D

:o Yes indeed, troll or not the thread has a message,

Show me someone who never made a mistake and I'll show you someone who never did anything,

We all will have a long list of regrets when we get to our end-game, most of which are opportunities we wish we had taken,

You'll be fine, just behave and stay legal, there'll be no one here to help you,

and yes you can survive on 30k b all day long, but you won't be livin large,

Have a ball, :D

thanks to scott, cgbartz, midasthailand, keemapoot, mmushr00m, cuban, anthonyu, pdaz, ima_farang, shotime, dp25, robbiecia, donfie, submaniac, maigo6, terminator, lifeisrandom, and cobra for the valuable and much appreciated advice! thats exactly what i was looking for. Cheers boys!!!

Edited by mrpinknz

You sound as thick as 3 planks of wood , you come to BKK with your attitude , you are only looking for a problem , BKK is assuradly the place to get it . Take the huge chip off your shoulder and you "MAY' stand a chance , a very small one . Take the advise given by the posters , they LIVE HERE and know something you obviously do not , wish you luck arogant know it all .

advice is spelt with a C not an S, and assuredly is spelt with an E not an A. arrogant has two R's. so im not taking any advice from a dude who cant spell. at least your name is appropriate so ill give u that. everyone else is all good! thanks to all with encouraging comments!

Edited by mrpinknz

Don't worry OP. 30-35,000 baht is plenty to live off of. Set yourself up with a budget and you will be fine.

There is some very good advice on TV, so use it as a tool. As you can see, some people are very supportive while others look for the least little thing to tear you down. Oh well such as life.

There are many constructive forums here, unfortunately the general topics forum isn't one of them.

Stay out of trouble and have a good time. Good luck! :o

While I've yet to step foot in the LOS, I would venture to guess from reading the OP's original post, it will be HE that will be taught the lessons and not his students.

I say come to LOS and "think" you will be able to do all those things on the salary you surmise you will get, and you will learn some very valuable life lessons that perhaps will change the way you approach the world in general.

The big questions you have to ask: Will you actually learn from those lessons?

I was your age when I joined the military and saw the world...granted it was the worst parts of the world but at least I had a gun and artillery support..lol

Just be humble, not cocky and open to learning everything. The women in LOS are PROFESSIONAL women. Don't for a second think you have anything on them. They will charm you right into the poor house.

Edited by Mattchu9999

While I've yet to step foot in the LOS, I would venture to guess from reading the OP's original post, it will be HE that will be taught the lessons and not his students.

I say come to LOS and "think" you will be able to do all those things on the salary you surmise you will get, and you will learn some very valuable life lessons that perhaps will change the way you approach the world in general.

I was your age when I joined the military and saw the world...granted it was the worst parts of the world but at least I had a gun and artillery support..lol

Just be humble, not cocky and open to learning everything. The women in LOS are PROFESSIONAL women. Don't for a second think you have anything on them. They will charm you right into the poor house.

And you got that opinion from where, an internet forum ? :o

Look, the guy claims to be 24, not 64, his experiences in Thailand will not be quite the same as a Pensioner from Grimsby coming to Thailand with his life savings to get a women 40 years younger than himself.

Your generalisation about Thai women is ridiculous, I would suggest spending some time in Thailand, not neccessarily on a barstool, then you may be able to give an informative opinion, not a wild generalisation.

Look, the guy claims to be 24, not 64, his experiences in Thailand will not be quite the same as a Pensioner from Grimsby coming to Thailand with his life savings to get a women 40 years younger than himself.

Ditto. I suppose there is one advantage (one of the few) to not having money: you know the person you are with isn't after you because of your money. The guy is young, and good looking. Should have no problems meeting ladies here (unlike the grizzled old farts that hang out on TV :D ). Teaching English? You know how many young ladies you will be exposed to? :o It's all good. Stay away from the drugs, ditch the expensive studio. Get a cheap place and a scooter (so you don't have to be stuck next to the skytrain lines) (and a haircut too hippy!!! :D) and you'll be alright.

Edited by submaniac

This post is a complete joke! Sounds like grandpa trying to give advice to his grandson. Yep Ok gramps thanks! :o

Stay away from the drugs, ditch the expensive studio. Get a cheap place and a scooter (so you don't have to be stuck next to the skytrain lines) (and a haircut too hippy!!! :o ) and you'll be alright.

Excellent advice (not too sure about a dramatic haircut though... but that's the difference between a Western gal thing... not a Thai gal thing... and a few others thrown in).

I was trying to figure out how one would live on 30,000 baht per month AND have a rip roaring time of it while living in studio that ate up most of the monthly budget. It did not add up. Not without calling home for more mullah or getting a roomie... are either an option?

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a 24 year old male on a saucy prowl but I do live in BKK full time)... but entertaining in Thailand does not happen so much in the home (unless you hang with Westerners), but in outside venues where people gather in groups (a Thai preference). So having a fantastic place doesn't have the exact same use as it does in the west (unless you have the money to go with it EDITED). Sure, it's nice to have, but not a total necessity if you are a 24 year old male on a...

Edited by desi

Have a ball mate, you're dead a long time. :o

Sure he can regret it... maimed for life as a result of stupidity. Or gets HIV or herpes froma a food "friend" etc. But hey, he seems to be very aware of how things work.

30K... that is my 7/11 money, I would shudder to think of living off of that much money. Sure it can be done, but it sure is not what I would call "comfortable." And the question regarding drugs... put it this way, if you get busted, (which I hope you do) you will not need to worry about money any more for a very very very long time. You may wish you had access to a personal lubricant though.

Your generalisation about Thai women is ridiculous, I would suggest spending some time in Thailand, not neccessarily on a barstool, then you may be able to give an informative opinion, not a wild generalisation.

You must have an entire library of books at home whose covers are the only thing you've read.

With my ex wife being Thai and all I'll be sure to forget everything she told me about Thai women and take your advice instead.

You must have an entire library of books at home whose covers are the only thing you've read.

With my ex wife being Thai and all I'll be sure to forget everything she told me about Thai women and take your advice instead.

And so your wife must know all about my wife then, sh*t it seems as though she must know her better than I do.

The women in LOS are PROFESSIONAL women. Don't for a second think you have anything on them. They will charm you right into the poor house.

DING DING DING!!!

You win the award for the ignorant comment of the day.

Obviously you not intelligent enough to surmise the type of women the OP would be spending his time with.

From his post you mean to tell me the girls he would most likley go after are interested in nothing but his charm and good looks?

Wow...ignorance is bliss.

And so your wife must know all about my wife then, sh*t it seems as though she must know her better than I do.

Perhaps she does. As paying attention aparently isn't your strong suit. She's my EX wife.

I'd just like to say: cool it, guys. Try to avoid talking about wives and stick to the topic. We're not going to have a discussion here about whether most Thai women or most Thai people or most Thai wives are prostitutes or not- they're not- and any attempt to move the thread in that direction henceforth will earn warnings and posting holidays.

On topic: I think there's something under the bridge, but assuming that the OP is even marginally sincere: Thailand doesn't need teachers who are dumb enough to start a forum topic simultaneously expressing their interest both in teaching and illegal, highly taboo drugs.

Moved to the Teaching Forum.

I'd just like to say: cool it, guys. Try to avoid talking about wives and stick to the topic. We're not going to have a discussion here about whether most Thai women or most Thai people or most Thai wives are prostitutes or not- they're not- and any attempt to move the thread in that direction henceforth will earn warnings and posting holidays.

On topic: I think there's something under the bridge, but assuming that the OP is even marginally sincere: Thailand doesn't need teachers who are dumb enough to start a forum topic simultaneously expressing their interest both in teaching and illegal, highly taboo drugs.

Moved to the Teaching Forum.

Unfortunately this topic will be slowly killed now that no one can flame each other and have an internet "my penis is bigger than yours" contest.

It's funny how one just had to make a benign comment to rile up all the armchair Thailand ambassadors...lol

Some sound advice on this board.

Being 24 myself, I doubt there's anyone in a better position to tell you than myself.

Forget the retired,jaded old farts on this board.

30,000 Baht should be more than enough, if you spend carefully.

Eat good, thai food daily, find a studio for around 7000-8000 baht (Sukhumvit Soi 71 and further).

Food should not cost you more than 75-100 baht / meal (thai).

Farang food prices will vary greatly depending on where you eat.

Where I eat around (Khaosan Road), I can get a first rate salad & burger + potatoes for around 200 baht.

Initially, you should allocate a significant portion of your earnings to your traveling expenses (BTS / motorcycle / taxi's)

You can invest in a motorcycle, if that would suit you.

And as for the pills, potions and herbs, trust me, don't worry, they WILL find you :o

A word of caution though: DON'T get caught, ever.

Never carry anything on your own person.

Have a night out at R.C.A / Silom / or any of the Sukhumvit after-hours places and you'll network quickly.

And don't go around wasting your money at Patpong / Nana / Asok on a regular basis.

R.C.A is full of lasses w/ open beaks that you can pull for free.

The only other last bit of advice I can give you is, teaching here for an extended period will be a bad career move.

Unless of course, you find a position at an international school.

Once you've settled in, try and look for greener pastures instead of getting into a comfort zone.

I say that, as I'm in exactly the same situation (not teaching though), but been here too long.

Have fun, be safe.