Teaching German

Welcome All

I have a German friend who is looking to teach German in a Bangkok school or University. What schools/Universities would be best for him to approach, and what are the requirements of a German teacher in the way of qualifications. He is 37 and has his teaching certificate for teaching German. He has 10 years experience in teaching, but has not been teaching for the past 5 years. What are the typical wages in Bagkok for teaching German.

Sieg Heil! Ze wages fer teachin Deutch are 100 Reichs Marks per day. Ve know this cuz Himmler saz zo.

I just love to hear from people like this on our forum. It shows the level of intelligence that we have to deal with some people when we are in Europe or North America. Racism is usually a result of stupidity, lack of education, and the inability to distinguish between people responsible for certain acts such as the Fascist of World War II era and the people of todays Germany, which in 99% of the cases were not alive during that era.

Ich hoffe deine beine wacksen zusammen !!! :o

It was just a joke, mouse.

To try and answer the original question by 4413, his friend should get in touch with the Goethe Institut in Sathorn (the equivalent of the British Council). They should be aware of possible teaching positions in German, including part-time stuff. There may even be a bit of corporate work around: there's quite a few German or German-owned companies operating in Bangkok these days.

The only university I have seen regularly advertise for German instructors is Thammasat Univ, last one I saw was about 2 months ago so I expect there are no more vacancies there for this semester, ie no point in applying there until next April or May for the next university year. The pay is the standard government university language instructor (low) basic pay, that is, a princely 26,100 baht a month. There may be some extra classes available, I've no idea. Teaching hours would be 10-12 per week. I believe (not certain) that Chulalongkorn Univ also offer German courses, check their website.

Other than that, your friend should keep browsing ajarn.com, the occasional European language teaching posts come up. He could also try some international schools in case they need a Modern European language teacher.

Sieg Heil! Ze wages fer teachin Deutch are 100 Reichs Marks per day. Ve know this cuz Himmler saz zo.

I just love to hear from people like this on our forum. It shows the level of intelligence that we have to deal with some people when we are in Europe or North America. Racism is usually a result of stupidity, lack of education, and the inability to distinguish between people responsible for certain acts such as the Fascist of World War II era and the people of todays Germany, which in 99% of the cases were not alive during that era.

Ich hoffe deine beine wacksen zusammen !!! :D

It resides in Soapdodgerland Mouse, which as you can appreciate, is a tad depressing place to be at this time of the year. :o

Sadly, there are plenty of places that will also accept native German speakers as English teachers- even give them WPs and visas. The demand is that high at the low end of the market.

Even many public schools have a second European foreign language (after English) but that is usually French.

"Steven"

The problem with native English speakers as teachers, most of the students don't understand their various accents. So nothing wrong with a German or Dutch, Swiss or Austrian who learned and studied the language and speaks without accent or dialect.

I myself have problems to understand e.g. Cockney or Texan, how about a local student here?

Coming back to teaching German. I am sure the Swiss Section of R.I.S. is always interested. It is, however, a matter of credentials, they do require CV a teachers in German, Swiss or Austrian schooling systems. Shold as well be able to teach other subject, like Latin, history or mathematics.

The problem with native English speakers as teachers, most of the students don't understand their various accents. So nothing wrong with a German or Dutch, Swiss or Austrian who learned and studied the language and speaks without accent or dialect.

I myself have problems to understand e.g. Cockney or Texan, how about a local student here?

Therefore the best type of German language teacher would be a non-native speaker, someone who has learnt Hoch Deutsch. After all German probably has more accents and dialects than English.

Do I recall correctly, Axel, that you are Swabisch? In which case can you explain to me what a "Spaetzelfresser" (sp?) is? I've been to Karlsruhe a few times and the people there always refer to the Swabisch by this name. :o

Gelbfuessler.

Scouser, no German is able to speak High German as mother tongue.

Exception, perhaps, around Hannover and more to the north, where, however, they speak a dialect which is closer to English.

We all have to learn the language in school to overcome the local dialect.

Btw, German is an artificial language created by Martin Luther who combined the major dialects.

Spaetzle is the local noodle served around Stuttgart, i.e. Swabian area.

Should be made by hand cutting from the dough into hot saltwater. A good Swabian never marries a girl who cannot make Spaetzle. (My Asian wife learned it from my father!)

Since we prefer this noodle over potatoes the others call us Spaetzlefresser, a bit negativ as fressen means to eat but not used for humans. (Humans 'essen' dogs/cats 'fressen')

I can live with it but might need a visa to go to Karlsruhe :o

Ah, to keep it Thailand-related, one of the best (hon) consulates is the Royal

Thai one in Karlsruhe.

... the people of todays Germany, which in 99% of the cases were not alive during that era.

In actual fact, 18.3% of the current population were alive during that era. Whether or not they should still be held accountable is an entirely different issue, and not one I would wish to debate here. With reference to Mouse's original quote, I took it as a joke, nothing else. I'm sure that was the way it was intended.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo.../gm.html#People

80 mate!

Although: "By the end of June, Werner Mölders had become the first airman to pass Manfred von Richthofen's score of 80, and on July 15 he became the first ace to pass the 100 mark, scoring his 101st victory of World War II (and 115th overall). He was then grounded and appointed Inspektor der Jagdflieger, but while Mölders was returning to Berlin to attend the funeral of Ernst Udet on November 22, 1941, his plane crashed, killing the father of Luftwaffe fighter tactics. Adolf Galland assumed Mölders' title and went on to become the commander of German fighters and Germany's youngest general."

German mechanized divisions have just been spotted crossing the Polish border, OMG here we go again!

Achtung! Achtung! Tommy!

TROLL ALERT The new Boston strangler is at hand.

Is it appropriate for a moderator to suggest that a member is a 'strangler', where is your evidence that I have ever committed such a crime?

German mechanized divisions have just been spotted crossing the Polish border, OMG here we go again!

Achtung! Achtung! Tommy!

TROLL ALERT The new Boston strangler is at hand.

Is it appropriate for a moderator to suggest that a member is a 'strangler', where is your evidence that I have ever committed such a crime?

Try to see the positive ways of Mr. Strummer's topics, but sorry ...cant find even one. YOur name sounds like german name too. ARe you really so in real life ? Not at all charm....only hate and anger deep in your blood, or are you happy to do so ? Just to have fun ? That word is suit to you too....Schweinehund..dass kan ich mir nicht gefallen lassen.

Achtung! Achtung! Tommy!

TROLL alert The new Boston strangler is at hand.

Are your trolls appropriate ? Keep 'em up and it'll be RAUS KLAUS.

• 2 weeks later...

Herr Mouse..intolerance, racism and nationalist tendencies exsist in "todays Germany" make no mistake about it. Blame it on genetics I guess. "Deutchland fur Deutchers, Auslanders raus!"

Tschuss,

Sully

Gott im himmel.

Herr Mouse..intolerance, racism and nationalist tendencies exsist in "todays Germany" make no mistake about it.  Blame it on genetics I guess.  "Deutchland fur Deutchers, Auslanders raus!" 

Tschuss,

Sully

Gott im himmel.

We'll rest this topic before it gets out of hand.